• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something needs to be said and the Activision-Blizzard Acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tschumi

About*

A lot of people who I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't want speaking up for them at any press conferences are making huge leaps about this deal. From saying it means the death of xbox's most direct competitor to xbox games now being equal to or superior to those of PS. Yep, you read right, people are seemingly suggesting that Activision-Blizzard c. 2022 have GOATs stuffed in their back pockets.

I want to put the brakes on that, or at least i want to make the suggestion. My suggestion:

Activision-Blizzard status in 2022:

- both firms inundated with sexual abuse controversies
- both firms seeing a downturn in the fortunes of their primary cash cows - WoW and CoD.
- both firms stripped of key creative and directive personnel from their heyday, functionally incapable of recreating old magic without new personnel.

Xbox case study in sorting out troubled developers:
- see: 343i
Halo Infinite in deep shit, company exposed for rank instability, Microsoft do surgery, turn it around and get a successful title out of it.

Requirements for the Activision-Blizzard deal to make a meaningful difference in games available to Xbox and PC:

- extreme polish
- fine tuned gameplay
- compelling plot in plot-centric games
- graphical impressiveness
- mature'd content to satisfy ageing fan base.
Recent trends in these areas: middling to poor

Grounds for declaring the deal a success:
- brand new, or rescued, development of titles that will wrest fans from rival systems on the back of their excellence.

Timeframe for judging this deal:
Years.

* Note: before this deal says anything about Sony, it has to come off. Wait and see. Sony currently have roughly double the market share of Xbox, reports of their various crises are greatly exaggerated.

That is all, i just wanted to put something dry up as an antidote to the soupy hot takes popping off all over the place. I'll not arm wrestle legions of shitposters. I'll be playing any good games that come from this on PC so I've no chips in this game.

Last edited:
tzrxm5Z.jpg

I thought we were at testing but we are still back at the bargaining stage :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom