• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone's leaked Microsoft Flight Simulator gameplay

mango drank

Weirdly enough, seeing this laid-back gameplay and hearing the hum of the engine hits me in the feels. I haven't actually sat down and played Flight Sim since like 2005, 15 years ago, and it all came rushing back seeing this vid. Carefree summer days, doing whatever the hell I wanted.

Anyway, I signed up for the alpha months ago, just realized I never heard back. Is anyone here actually playing it?

CeeJay

For all we know it's probably the XBO version or a version on a PC spec we don't know.

Always did want to try these games. They and 4X games were among the most complex games around back in the day. Will definitely consider picking this up if and when I get in on next-gen.
Suppodidly they have only let people in the beta with high spec PCs with at least 32gb of RAM. My peasant i7 16gb 1060 is not good enough it seems 😔

GHG

Gold Member
Looks great, but is a flight simulator. Just as boring as a driving simulator.

giphy.gif

nikolino840

For all we know it's probably the XBO version or a version on a PC spec we don't know.

Always did want to try these games. They and 4X games were among the most complex games around back in the day. Will definitely consider picking this up if and when I get in on next-gen.
Lot of variable with PC games...and with this you have also the Internet connection...i think devs have said that you can play offline but without the benefits of the data in the Cloud

Shifty1897

Graphically looks amazing but I don't think Flight Sims are for me. Once you're in the air and at your target altitude you kind of just sit there and stare at your instruments until you start getting ready to land. I'm ADD, give me missiles and let me do a barrel roll without 10 alarms and computer voiced yelling at me.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If it's the same footage I looked at yesterday, I think the guy went out of his way to make the game look bad. recording in 720p, low settings, constant camera jerking/back and forth/zooming inout, horrible flying, ugly airports. IDK

Alx

That's not something I usually do, but that's one game that could make me watch a good streamer. I don't really care about learning to fly a realistic plane for hours, but I'm sure someone who knows what he's doing and can explain the ins and outs of his current flight, would be very interesting to watch.

Great Hair

Banned
Gameplay? What gameplay

... you sit in your plane, you click on buttons, on more buttons, you watch left, you watch right, you click on more buttons, you push the lever, you look behind you ... WOAH ZZzzzzzzzz.

Wuer ar de gans? I niid mai kill death ratio on scriin. Top vfx, No Gameplay though, unless you fancy sitting there in front of your PC for hours doing nothing but "click on buttons".

TeamGhobad

Banned
the game for middle aged men going through a midlife crisis, larping as pilots sans finger banging the stewardess.

Gameplay? What gameplay

... you sit in your plane, you click on buttons, on more buttons, you watch left, you watch right, you click on more buttons, you push the lever, you look behind you ... WOAH ZZzzzzzzzz.

Wuer ar de gans? I niid mai kill death ratio on scriin. Top vfx, No Gameplay though, unless you fancy sitting there in front of your PC for hours doing nothing but "click on buttons".

That can describe almost every game. You push a stick to move, press buttons to do things, watch what happens, press more buttons rinse repeat.

These games are for plane nerds who know how planes work or want to learn how planes work. But it's cool if people don't like that. Always kinda funny hearing them described this way because maybe it's partly true, but there's still a ton of nuance and depth to them all the same.

Suppodidly they have only let people in the beta with high spec PCs with at least 32gb of RAM. My peasant i7 16gb 1060 is not good enough it seems 😔

Yikes! I'd have no chance, then xD. Must still be light on optimizations.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Gameplay? What gameplay

I've been to my friend's house who is a private pilot and that's all he does, but OMG has he been so into it for years.

He uses it both as a recreational and a learning tool (he's learned to fly the big hundred-passenger planes like the Boeing and Airbus)

And yes it does look boring but I have nothing but respect for the dedication he has to it. He's read thick, 500-page manuals for the planes, downloads navigation data, connects online to virtual air traffic controllers (flight simulation hardcore fans might be crazy, but I guess those guys who are into virtual ATC towers directing virtual air traffic are on a whole other level.)

Flying is the easy part, knowing what all those 20 million buttons on the cabin do and how to use them is the challenge. and its certainly not for me.

Last edited:
This game with VR will be so cool. I haven't played one of these in a ridiculously long time but I remember just purposely crashing a lot of the time for fun.
Found the Al Qaeda spy.

Too soon?

OT: I have the most respect and dedication for flight sim players. I'll never understand it, but there's something holy and Godlike about it.

You know Flight Sim Nerds, you really are the best of us.

Last edited:
Don't assume he's a basement dweller just because he says stuff you don't like to hear.
I understand your anger, but I think you're taking what he said a little bit too personally and seriously.

I don't want to hear that, normal ppl don't say shit like that, it is a sensitive subject throughout the states to this very day..: "Not buying unless I can 9/11" tha fk, really?! @#$& weirdos

For New Yorkers is personal and it's NOT a joke. We/I witnessed everything, every goddamn thing..I saw collapsing of both twin Towers from my balcony..Please, don't lecture me about taking this Personal.

I remember the first flight simulator i played.. think it was '96, i picked it up super cheap and played it on my eldest aunt/uncles farm house while i was there for a couple of days for a forgotten reason.. i was so hoping the graphics would be at least a bit like the cover art but alas they were crappy.. kicked off a brief frenzy of trying to get my hands on FS98, with that great cover art etc.. i eventually got my hands on it.. i remember downloading heaps of additional mod planes... and that was the beginning of the end for me..

.. by all rights i should have been an obsessive digital pilot, I'd been raised by my dad to love flight since single digits (my first 6 or so long haul international flights all happened before i was 10), but i just couldn't manage to love flight simulator. Beyond taking off the gameplay wore thin. Unless i was in a small plane, everything just took too long. Also some planes were easier than others, the 777 was doable with its digital cockpit, but the 747 felt like a skyyacht and i just couldn't get it off the ground or, after eventually figuring that out, couldn't activate autopilot and forget about landing.

From memory i got my hands on 2004 and ultimately X, but yeah in no instances did my well-intentioned efforts to get in to the gameplay failed.

As such i won't be getting the new one.

... Other games series i failed to honestly get hooked on, well one i can think of is EvE online.. certainly enough hours put in to fly freighters and battleships and strip miners but can barely remember a single one.

Top Bottom