• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some leftists can be scary, honestly (need to vent this out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitecrow

Banned
Yes. I'm greatly lacking in the emotional self-regulation department. I had this issue living in my head rent-free for two days, and I need to speak about it somewhere I cannot be recognized. So my apologies in advance.
Also, I mean absolutely no offense to anybody by expressing my views here. Just in case.

I had a long and loud 'conversation' with a friend the other day. About progressive laws in my country and trans people. And one thing he told me left me incredibly shocked.

I asked him if he would agree with a law that allow kids between 12 and 18 to transition without any kind of medical diagnosis / assesment, being the word of the kid (and parental permission) the only requirement.

He answered with a resounding yes. That almost left me speechless. He told me, that most probably, close to every kid in that age would be correct about their dysphoria/gender issue self-diagnosis, so there's no much harm in that law.
He insisted me with that so much, and spoke with so much confidence, that I'm not sure about my opinion on the matter anymore.

I'm of the opinion that a kids dont know **** about mental health or psychology, and that there can be 1000 reasons on why a kid could say anything about gender issues, specially after so much leftist propaganda they see everywhere, and specially being mental health a very hard thing to be totally sure about.

So... how wrong can I be? Is my view terribly biased?
Is really that easy for a kid to understand that what he feels is indeed a gender identity issue, that we can safely assume they are right and then allow them to make the transition?

I ask honestly, because I really wanna know.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
If a kid feels like they are born wrong sex, they will feel that way from the start and will consistently feel that way. I think if I put one of these kids in front of you it would be very obvious to you as well.

There's prob a few weird kids that want to try to jump on the trend and "fit in" but that's such a small minority and its not fair to focus on these very rare cases to the detriment of those with real gender dysphoria.

Corpsepyre

Banned
If a kid feels like they are born wrong sex, they will feel that way from the start and will consistently feel that way. I think if I put one of these kids in front of you it would be very obvious to you as well.

There's prob a few weird kids that want to try to jump on the trend and "fit in" but that's such a small minority and its not fair to focus on these very rare cases to the detriment of those with real gender dysphoria.

Pretty much this.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
In before the lock
Same. And for once I will be able to answer that before the lock!
The answer is absolutely not. In my country you cannot have antibiotic without medical clearance. A prescription is easy to have, yes, but is still required. Transitioning probably needs more than that, so it is logical that you would need expert advice before doing something as intensive. But this is in my country, with strong healthcare policies. In the US (I suppose that you are american) I can see that the freedom to choose your gender should not be limited by external matters as long as you have the money. Stupid( as in freedom for freedom sake when it has clearly the potential to be harmful), and may/will lead to harm and lawsuits in the future. But I can see the point. Same as assisted suicide. I am against, but can understand that some people can be for it. Just think that like the US prison system, where private interests make it one of the worse in the world, this is ripe for abuse.
Your problem is that you're looking for an objective answer when there isn't one. People feel strongly about for and against this idea and you just picked a side. Nothing shocking about any of this.
Can a minor who can't be allowed to drink or drive be trusted in something as life changing as changing sex? It seems to be logical to me to say no. But once again I can see the other side. Do you believe one way or the other?

cormack12

Gold Member
12-18 is a big age range to target the question at.

The lower end? Definitely not. Only a moron would advocate for that. They're still barely out the phase of saying yuk I hate boys or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom