• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Gaming Rumors from Acquitance/Insider Source

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Copium-Meaning-in-Twitch.jpg

AGRacing

Hey buddy... I have faith in you. Don't worry about these loveless cynics.... they'd prefer a forum be run like jail instead of a schoolyard. I'm here for fun - not to be rehabilitated.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
You really should have contacted the mods first with some sort of credibility your friend has before posting.

Yeah good call, i've left a message saying they can delete this if they want to.

Mods, ban him if his friend don't check out, please.
' "who claims he has contacts" in the video games industry'
he works at Gamestop, right?

Normally i wouldnt but he insisted it me on sharing and not to share his social media :lollipop_neutral: All i can say is that he is a journalist.

He wants to start sharing information himsel once if it ends up being real. (God i hope so)

Last edited:
Back in the day I overheard someone mention at the theatre that if the Final Fantasy movie didn't do well in the box office that Sony would have to sell their company to Sega.

I still have about the same faith in that information as what was posted in the OP.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I heard from the custodian of the school that my friend works at's husband's girlfriend who once did street promotion for Halo and other Sony station exclusives that Nintendo is gonna release a Nintendo 128 so it'll be twice as more gooder than the Nintendo 64.

Edit: right hand up to God I'll go to court and be acquainted for how much I'm telling the truth

Last edited:
I keep seeing many comments across different forums, subreddits regarding "Silent Hill" and how it's a dead franchise at this point, I wonder why are you folks being so pessimistic about it? Before I will continue with my comment don't forget one thing, the companies will naturally gravitate towards a possible revenue stream, if there is money to be made, Konami will be there, which is why Konami created Castlevania themed NFT's out of all things.

I keep seeing many comments across different forums, subreddits regarding "Silent Hill" and how it's a dead franchise at this point, I wonder why are you folks being so pessimistic about it? Before I will continue with my comment don't forget one thing, the companies will naturally gravitate towards a possible revenue stream, if there is money to be made, Konami will be there, which is why Konami created Castlevania themed NFT's out of all things.
"Silent Hills" is a game that was never released and the amount of attention that it has gathered over the years is insane, do you honestly believe that all this attention is worth nothing to Konami? Of course not. Konami needs us more than we need a new "Silent Hill" game, and I genuinely believe that under the right circumstances they will come back on their knees begging for us to take their games back into our Steam library, I just don't know what those circumstances are.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Surly a mod would need to verify such contacts? Otherwise any of us could start a thread with wild rumors we've just made up.

John Wick

Yes but also Sony aren't in a position to buy Take Two for the almost 20 billion dollars that they're worth. Only MS has the money to blow on that.
What horseshit! Sony and many other companies could easily buy Take Two for 20 billion dollars.

Inviusx

What horseshit! Sony and many other companies could easily buy Take Two for 20 billion dollars.

Not if you look at their financials. They put aside 13-18 billion dollars for acquisitions to be spent over the next 3 years. That's not just for SIE though. So no, the Playstation arm of Sony don't have 20 billion to blow on Take Two.

oldergamer

This is fake. Take 2 at this point would be a bad purchase. They are struggling to put anything gta out that isnt a reskin. Not that they have interest in selling.

Sony getting square i could see happening. However most titles they make are already exclusive to playstation.. Might not make sense to pay tons of money to ensure titles be exclusive that already are.

I also doubt anyone that says they have inside knowledge on more then one console maker. That just doesnt happen.

Star-Lord

In what universe does buying Square Enix "trump" the aquisition of ActiBliz. I would argue it doesn't even "trump" the aquisition of Bethesda Zenimax
Yeah, you’re right. Sony acquiring the rights to Deus Ex, Final Fantasy, Just Cause, Kingdom Hearts, Life is Strange, and Tomb Raider is nothing. How silly of me.

In what universe does buying Square Enix "trump" the aquisition of ActiBliz :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:. I would argue it doesn't even "trump" the aquisition of Bethesda Zenimax
Sony acquiring the company that owns Final Fantasy (which includes the biggest MMO on the planet right now), Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, dormant IPs like Legacy of Kain plus whatever rights Square-Enix has for Marvel IPs right now...meaning they would own every single videogame that's getting done from Marvel properties, plus certain manga franchises which is a market Sony is interested in.

Sony would own like 10 more studios if that were to happen, including one that's going to be making a game with Microsoft...i'm sure they are paying some good money to use that studio.

I mean...it wouldn't fill the hole left by an IP such as Call of Duty, but as someone that likes most of these IPs sounds like a much more interesting acquisition for me.

Last edited:

Assaulty

Sony acquiring the company that owns Final Fantasy (which includes the biggest MMO on the planet right now), Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, dormant IPs like Legacy of Kain plus whatever rights Square-Enix has for Marvel IPs right now...meaning they would own every single videogame that's getting done from Marvel properties, plus certain manga franchises which is a market Sony is interested in.

Sony would own like 10 more studios if that were to happen, including one that's going to be making a game with Microsoft...i'm sure they are paying some good money to use that studio.

I mean...it wouldn't fill the hole left by an IP such as Call of Duty, but as someone that likes most of these IPs sounds like a much more interesting acquisition for me

I can agree with this. I personally don't play any activision IP's, but can see that it's objectively the biggest buyout I've ever seen in this industry and something like Square Enix doesn't even come remotely close to the juggernaut franchises ActiBliz carry.

For me personally Square Enix has 0 value as I literally play nothing of their library. Bethesda was a way bigger deal to me as I play about all of their franchises bar Dishonored, but I can see them beeing on equal footing in studio quality and IP's carried to each other. I do think Square would fit with Sony very well by the way.

Assaulty

Yeah, you’re right. Sony acquiring the rights to Deus Ex, Final Fantasy, Just Cause, Kingdom Hearts, Life is Strange, and Tomb Raider is nothing. How silly of me.
Never said it's "nothing". I'm just saying ActiBliz is so much bigger in every way compared to Squenix that it really is no comparison. I think Bethesda is closer in terms of IP value and studio value. I personally think Squenix would be a very good get for Sony, but your statement was basically that a square enix aquisition would be a way bigger deal than MS buying ActiBliz which is just not even remotely close to beeing true

I can agree with this. I personally don't play any activision IP's, but can see that it's objectively the biggest buyout I've ever seen in this industry and something like Square Enix doesn't even come remotely close to the juggernaut franchises ActiBliz carry.

For me personally Square Enix has 0 value as I literally play nothing of their library. Bethesda was a way bigger deal to me as I play about all of their franchises bar Dishonored, but I can see them beeing on equal footing in studio quality and IP's carried to each other. I do think Square would fit with Sony very well by the way.
If Sony ever acquires anyone i could almost bet that they would start with Square-Enix or Capcom...almost for sure. After buying Evo, they would then own Street Fighter. They would also own Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Dead Rising, etc...

These 2 sound perfect fits for them.

marcincz

Twenty years ago Sony buying Square would be a megaton

Square Enix now its like eh? whatever

This whole Pub situation makes me realize the only one I really care about are SEGA/Atlus
SE has huge IPs.

Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Tomb Raider
Deus Ex

It would be megaton, but Sony hasn't 20 or more bil. of $.

Last edited:

Assaulty

If Sony ever acquires anyone i could almost bet that they would start with Square-Enix or Capcom...almost for sure. After buying Evo, they would then own Street Fighter. They would also own Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Dead Rising, etc...

These 2 sound perfect fits for them.
As an Xbox owner I'd be sad about a Capcom Aquisition as I like a lot of their IP's, but they for sure would be a great get for Sony. I have no clue wether the gaming division has the kind of funds to aquire two mid-sized publishers tho and I would imagine Squenix is the easier get out of the two although I semi pull that assumption out of my behind:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lupin25

SE has huge IPs.

Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Tomb Raider
Deus Ex

Sony has more than enough cash on hand for SE/Capcom, especially with the limited amount of debt they owe.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My uncle who works for Square Enix but also Sony on a Weekend says that Microsoft are buying SEGA today.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Sony has more than enough cash on hand for SE/Capcom, especially with the limited amount of debt they owe.
people keep saying this, but its not realistic. Sony has 18 billion on hand to spend over 3 years. That is for ALL of Sony, not just the gaming division. So realistically Sony would need to make smaller purchases as this can't cripple the entire company.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Surly a mod would need to verify such contacts? Otherwise any of us could start a thread with wild rumors we've just made up.

I could try getting him in contact with a mod. But he doesnt have a Neogaf account. I will see what i can do.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I could try getting him in contact with a mod. But he doesnt have a Neogaf account. I will see what i can do.

If this is legit then I would certainly advise mod verification.

Not to offend, but you can see why people would be reluctant to believe these rumours.

Draugoth

Gold Member
If this is legit then I would certainly advise mod verification.

Not to offend, but you can see why people would be reluctant to believe these rumours.

It's understandable, i dont believe him much either lol

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
SE has huge IPs.

Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Tomb Raider
Deus Ex

SE have been living off the hype of those once great IP that (Dragon Quest aside) have been mediocre for years

SE is a shell of its former self compared to the Squaresoft days

A megaton only on paper maybe

IDKFA

It's understandable, i dont believe him much either lol

Lol. You don't even believe him, yet you still created a thread!

Legendary.

Let's just hope it's all real. If not, I would consider making him your enemy.

PJX

My mum works for Nintendo and told me that MS will be buying them.

Proof: Golden Eye Achievements

Draugoth

Gold Member
Lol. You don't even believe him, yet you still created a thread!

Legendary.

Let's just hope it's all real. If not, I would consider making him your enemy.

Since he is a gaming journalist, he is kinda reliable. Otherwise i wouldnt have bothered it.

IDKFA

Since he is a gaming journalist, he is kinda reliable. Otherwise i wouldnt have bothered it.

Well, if he is a gaming journalist then it would be easy for a mod to verify him.

If he's totally wrong and lying, then we should name and shame and end his career.

Metnut

This is complete fake and should be deleted.

Has anyone here ever worked on actual public company M&A before? Very few people in a company are aware of a deal until it’s announced to the public. Even members of the board are often kept in the dark until it’s announced publicly and then voted on.

There’s typically an M&A group which has attorneys and advisors and they often report directly to the CEO or one of the CEOs reports. The whole system is structured to prevent leaks. They can happen anyway if negotiations drag on, but it’s not something that happens often and it’s not something anyone on the gaming side would be in position to know anything about.

There’s a reason why the Bethesda and Activison transactions didn’t leak until they were ready to be announced despite being multibillion dollar deals. These deals are very different than small independent companies where gaming folks hold dual roles on the corporate side as well.

Top Bottom