• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Gaming Rumors from Acquitance/Insider Source

Draugoth

Gold Member
I have "a friend who claims he has contacts" in the video games industry (mostly Capcom and PlayStation) and asked me today after i got back from work to share some stuff he heard. I told him i could post it here, so; He specifically asked me to share the information he was told in case it turns out true, because in December he heard from an acquitance that Microsoft was looking to make a massive acquisition (which turned out to be the Activision one) and seems that no one believed him, and he didn't post anywhere to validate it.

Note: He specifically notes he isnt sure about the information. So do not take these as granted, i dont trust him very much either (lol):

SONY:

legiao_JwONicIvdpot9LgHzBj0h67PS4nmUVxD3qfl2ZKb5W.jpg.jpeg

• Sony is 'interested' in acquiring Take-Two. Rumors that Take-Two is doing nothing about it to make it easier for another company to purchase it.
  • PlayStation is closing a deal on Square Enix acquisition.
  • Sony will announce the acquisition of two indie studios.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics in development and going to be announced.
Capcom:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Capcom plans to open new studios focused on indie development
Microsoft:

667c226d23ad6dd089577d6e7facc387.jpg

• Microsoft will work alongside EA on new projects.
  • Microsoft plans to acquire another indie studio.
  • New Quake to be announced; Doom franchise to enter hiatus.
  • The Evil Within 3 is in development and going to be announced.
Konami/Kojima/:

konami-logo-10.png
images

• Kojima new game will release simultaneously to PS5 & PC
  • A Silent Hill Remastered (doesnt say which one) is planned for 2022
  • A New Castlevania game is in the works for mobile alongside a Castlevania AAA title.

----------------------------------

I'm still waiting on some stuff he told me to turn out real. So mods feel free to delete this if you feel it's dubious.

Last edited:
Take two would become a bidding war. GTA is a franchise that everyone would want and not want to lose.
The Activision acquisition happened with not even a rumor recently or a decent source like Jason hearing stuff. It came out of nowhere. These things don't have to turn into a bidding war like that.

FStubbs

It'll be interesting if Sony finally does acquire Square-Enix what happens to Dragon Quest and the Bravely/Octopath stuff.

EDIT: Current Sony would seem more interested in getting a wRPG developer though. Or maybe they're buying the Eidos side of the house from Square-Enix.

It would instantly make Sony relevant (if not outright defeat Nintendo) in Japan.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Twenty years ago Sony buying Square would be a megaton

Square Enix now its like eh? whatever

This whole Pub situation makes me realize the only one I really care about are SEGA/Atlus

Leyasu

Banned
The Activision acquisition happened with not even a rumor recently or a decent source like Jason hearing stuff. It came out of nowhere. These things don't have to turn into a bidding war like that.
Don't they? So once the news is outed, does that mean that nobody else can offer more?

nowhat

Back in the next/now current gen speculation threads, there used to be a vetting process. Was that just a temporary thing?

elliot5

Sony can't have 20b to buy take two...but take two can have 12b to buy Zynga. I mean...
Take Two made a mixed deal with stock and cash. Acti-Blizz was bought with straight cash. There's also still an open negotation period for window shoppers to scoop Zynga from TT (see: EA and Codemasters).

If Sony ever went into a purchase of Take Two, I cannot fathom Microsoft would not outbid them.

Bartski

Gold Member
Not sure if Square Enix is a good fit due to rather uneven output but Take-Two would be the megaton counter. And a "cheap" one, as of January 14th 2022 Take-Two net worth is $17.59B according to google, which is less than a 1/3 of the estimated Activision's net worth from Monday.

Skifi28

I think I'm going to let the site cool off for a week or so, things are looking pretty bad in here and every thread is worse than the previous one.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You should tell your friend to shut the fuck up and pass that blunt.

Thief1987

Lol someone with "contacts" has a knowledge about very secretive deals and activities of multiple big corps from different continents and more to it also can talk about it like it's fucking nothing... Yeah it's certainly doesn't sound like bullshit. Who in the right mind can think that this drivel even worth to be discussed?

Don't they? So once the news is outed, does that mean that nobody else can offer more?

Take Two made a mixed deal with stock and cash. Acti-Blizz was bought with straight cash. There's also still an open negotation period for window shoppers to scoop Zynga from TT (see: EA and Codemasters).

If Sony ever went into a purchase of Take Two, I cannot fathom Microsoft would not outbid them.
I actually didn't know that. Thanks!

clintar

Mods, ban him if his friend don't check out, please.
' "who claims he has contacts" in the video games industry'
he works at Gamestop, right?

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Take-Two just made a sizable acquisition in Zynga mere days ago. They wouldn't be making such a deal if they themselves are in the process of being acquired.

LMAO. Your friend is super well connected. Is he Jeff Bezos?

He seems to know nothing about Ubisoft.
Sony buys Square Enix and Take-Two. That would trump the activision purchase in my mind.
Take2 might be like Ubisoft. They dont want to be bought.
I doubt Microsoft would pick Activision over Take2. Or actually they would. Activision makes more sense for their gamepass/pc market then Take2. But I doubt take2 wants to sell if they are making big moves themselves.

Sony is probably going to buy Japanese studios.

Capcom > Square-Enix. Buying Square-Enix is a mistake.

Top Bottom