• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold most of my retro collection, oh the pain

Dude he sold is life’s work for 3K
that shit is not an investment.
If you want to invest… stick with raw minerals. Or i guess nintendo 🤣👌
I would make way, way more than that on my collection, but I haven't done the exact math. Just the stuff I actually use.

I'm not selling any of that though. I have boxes of games specifically for selling years later, and yeah I think I'll make a small fortune on it. I mean it's kind of insane how much shit I have, and a nightmare to move.

It may seem ridiculous but compared to my stock portfolio ATM, in this market, these games feel like a genius investment lol.

Regret in which sense though?

Your reply is pretty cliche so I wonder

I have always found selling this stuff leads to repurchasing. Even if it takes years to kick in. Games are essentially lumps of plastic and money is more useful but finding stuff in good condition without a rip off price is getting harder.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
200 😆 investment? Are you for real?
Just to set you in a plane of realism for investment. German ww2 medals can be flipped for 10k profit

And this is still piss compared to the real gems

Laugh all you want

I see folks selling the same game for somehwat less all fucked up.

I've got a trade offered with a guy having all his stuff blabla approved regarding status and he complemented me on my game's state of being.. so?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I have always found selling this stuff leads to repurchasing. Even if it takes years to kick in. Games are essentially lumps of plastic and money is more useful but finding stuff in good condition without a rip off price is getting harder.

Very true. Cliche argument as well. I don't see myself replaying Zelda MM on a N64 in 10 years from now. When it's value is half a PS5.

I mean well 6502 6502

Last edited:
Very true. Cliche argument as well. I don't see myself replaying Zelda MM on a N64 in 10 years from now. When it's value is half a PS5.

I mean well 6502 6502
I think I'll be playing MM on a real N64 when I'm 60. Hopefully.

Anyways, hopefully you don't regret it, but maybe you needed the money and that I can understand right now...

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think I'll be playing MM on a real N64 when I'm 60. Hopefully.

Anyways, hopefully you don't regret it, but maybe you needed the money and that I can understand right now...

The latter. I have the remaster on ND3D

By the time I'm 60 I'll probably can play it 60fps on PC..

I get you tho 💗

Not only console games but also retro PC games. Old pc games with the paper boxes are in big demand. I didn't have Doom sadly. I was told by a guy running a retro store that I would get over 600 EUR.
Absolutely damn it. I'm a PC big box collector somewhat. What games did you have?

protonion

Absolutely damn it. I'm a PC big box collector somewhat. What games did you have?

Mostly adventures.
Tex Murphy trilogy, phantasmagoria 2, Grim Fandango, Curse of Monkey Island, Atlantis 1-2, Neverhood (this one was the most valuable iirc) Myst 1-3, Journeyman project 3, Longest Journey and others.

Also Baldur's Gate 2 and Ultima 9.

//DEVIL//

I sold my collection 3 years ago. Had everything even 2 of the ps4 20th anniversary and 2 of them 500 million ps4 pro editions.

Along with most jrpg ps1/ps2, huge Nintendo 64 collection as well as nes and snes

I gotta say I made big money out of it.

Sold it because I immigrated to different country and wasn’t gonna move this collection .

Honestly though 5 years ago is when I decided to go pc and … the fact I can play all those games I had under one pc without my eyes bleeding playing old games with yellow and red AV cables at 4K 60 frames is good enough reason to sell them and just have one pc to rule them all.

Made the right choice and no regret at all.

I honestly made around 15k US over my collection which honestly wasn’t that big but .. value of some of them items were 7x the original price I guess.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Congrats OP. its a nice weight off your back.

I sold the bulk of my collection in about 2014 but still finding some bits and peices to sell now.

Midn1ght

Started collecting and gave up/sold everything a few times myself before settling in with PC.

It’s a great weigh off my back. Whenever I get an itch to restart, I watch youtube videos from some notorious collectors like The Last Gamer, Pete Dorr, Metal Jesus, etc... to get my fix and to remind myself why I never want to do it again.

Game collecting is great but it’s not for me anymore.

Last edited:

Trunx81

I got rid of my collection in march when I moved overseas. It just wasn’t a good idea to take 220V stuff to a 110v country, and I didn’t want to buy adapters. So I sold some of it and the rest went into the hands of a good friend who appreciates it. He won’t sell it and if I’ll ever find the need to take them back, he will send them to me. During this time, he can use them as much as he wants to.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
When emulation can create CRT filters that are as authentic as an actual CRT, then I would care.
9qCOuSI.jpg

is this good enough?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does anyone here resurface discs? I’ve got a couple games I need resurfaced. There’s a lot of tips out there like toothpaste and newspaper. Does it actually work? Does it hurt having a store do it? I wonder if there’s a machine that does it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I need to finish selling mine. It's just collecting dust. NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, Red-screening Jaguar, two Lynx handhelds. And an Atari 2600. The PS1, PS2 and Gamecube all died from drive failure.

I'm keeping my 3DS until it dies.

Sold off ALL of my shit starting 10 years ago. Games, consoles, boxes, everything. I got tired of the shoeboxes in the corner full of games I'd never play again. I don't keep any games to this day. I buy them, beat them, and throw them on eBay.

It feels good.

I've been playing since the NES, and things just got untenable. I still check out collection threads with wide eyes, though!

Edit: I still have a DS Lite with the Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents series. Nobody is getting that one.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Every good retro game ive ever sold - I eventually regretted years later.
Emulation (for me) just isnt the same.

Gaming is going in a terrible direction as evidence by this past week's Gamescom.
Its clear as day all the truly great games are from the past. Retro games have more value than ever - and im not talking just dollar value.

Give me Battle Garegga, Sin & Punishment, DoDonPachi, Shining Force II, Ace Combat Zero, FZero GX, etc over anything released today. That shit was made by masterclass devs - the Davinci's and Leonardo's of game design. Outside of a handful of exceptions - the game designers of today are clueless.

Last edited:

TidusYuna

You still got some keepers TS, stop this madness. Put Chrono Trigger, Order of Ecclesia, and the rest back on the shelf where they belong. & Don't you dare sell FFX.

ezgif-3-2d9e49bb15.gif

Alan Wake

I doubt I'll ever sell off my collection. It's not huge or anything, but it's like a snapshot of my life from 10 to 35yo. Gaming has been such an important part of my life, even through dark times, so I don't think I'll ever be able to part from all the games and consoles. Unless I really need the money or if I'd suddenly lose interest when I'm older.

I sold all my retro stuff about 10 years ago. I had loads of systems (Saturn, Dreamcast, Megadrive Mega CD, N64, SNES, etc.) and hundreds of games.

Best decision I ever made. It had all turned into a curate' egg of stuff I barely played, filling my living space with boxes on shelves and mountains of controllers and systems.

I spent the money clearing some debts and bought a Neo Geo arcade machine. I feel cleansed.

loeoBZo.jpg

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Last month I sold 6 limited run games for 700 bucks.
These were titles they didn’t sell at retail, right?

I recently cancelled around $1200 bucks worth of orders with them when I walked into a Best Buy and picked up a copy of Castlevania that they still had not shipped to me.

RAIDEN1

Talk of Retroarch meeting the needs isn't quite correct, over the weekend gone I tried emulating Gamecube games via Dolphin and RetroArch on the Series X and had mixed results at best, couldn't get rid of the side borders, no matter what I changed, and F-Zero GX and Wave Race 2001 either won't work, or the in game-screen gets "jumpy" just doesn't stay stable....yet Mario Kart DD and Mario Tennis don't have that problem (aside from the side borders), thats why I am considering getting a Wii for the first time, because you won't have to mess around with any RetroArch to get the cube games to play, and you can re-visit the greatness of F-Zero GX with ease..

Last edited:
All who struggle with CRT-shaders on Retroarch, try this:

nkarafo

Sometimes i'm thinking about selling but then i realize it's not worth it most of the time. The money i'll get from most of my stuff is so little that i rather keep said stuff instead. I did sell a few things because they offered me enough money that i couldn't refuse (such as a rare Mega Drive pack) but other than that i see no reason to sell an item for a couple of euros or something.

Even if i decide to sell my whole collection, it will probably take months to do it without completely killing it and the total amount of money will probably be something that i can make in half that time anyway. It just isn't worth the trouble.

As for space, my collection isn't that big. I have plenty of consoles but only a few games for each. And i only have 3 or 4 of them connected, all the others i can emulate fine so i keep them in a special cabinet for display purposes only. All their cables, gamepads, etc, are stored separately in small boxes in the storage. I like my cabinet and it has room for a couple of more consoles (i'd like a Neo-Geo AES).

Other than that, i don't care that much, i don't actively collect stuff, most of the things i have are either stuff from my childhood that survived, stuff that i got for free from people who wanted to get rid of old junk, or stuff that i found in recycle bins of just very cheap to pass.

I do hoard a lot of digital stuff though...

Talk of Retroarch meeting the needs isn't quite correct, over the weekend gone I tried emulating Gamecube games via Dolphin and RetroArch on the Series X and had mixed results at best, couldn't get rid of the side borders, no matter what I changed, and F-Zero GX and Wave Race 2001 either won't work, or the in game-screen gets "jumpy" just doesn't stay stable....yet Mario Kart DD and Mario Tennis don't have that problem (aside from the side borders), thats why I am considering getting a Wii for the first time, because you won't have to mess around with any RetroArch to get the cube games to play, and you can re-visit the greatness of F-Zero GX with ease..

Dolphin isn't very goon in RetroArch. However, the standalone is MUCH better, though you can only use it on a PC.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I've sold off a lot of my stuff recently. The amount of space all my shit was taking up was getting out of control. I chose to keep(and grow) all of my Gundam collection over games.

So now I have moved basically to flash carts and ODEs except for things that I have an emotional conection too and focus my collecting on PC Engine, MSX and PC98.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

Just remember this you can't take it with you
My kids can take it, and their kids too. I’ve built my collection of stuff from NES to modern day for the express purpose of my kids having a library to enjoy, and hopefully enjoy that history with their kids too.

A couple grand ain’t worth giving up those memories.

Top Bottom