• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social Music Thread: Let's Try Avoid A Youtube Video Avalanche

Tschumi

Hokayy, let's give this a try.

I love music. I love talking about music. I happen to think I like me some good music. But the problem is: You don't care.

Well, I'm sure you might, but practically speaking, if this were any other music thread, you would entirely ignore my post of youtube videos I want someone to listen to and give me an opinion on and just spam, you know, the most obscure death metal bands/anime OPs you have been able to locate to date in your x years on this earth.

I wanna try make a music thread that ACTUALLY WORKS!! One of community and enthusiasm and shared interests.

How are we gonna do it?

Simple:

1) Post a band you like, even a song, in text. i.e. "I can't get enough of the Bare Naked Ladies!"

2) WAIT for SOMEONE to quote you and say they like it too, OR that they want to know more about it. i.e. "Ohhh, I love that band! Let's share our enthusiasm!"/"I want to know more about it!"

3) Exchange thoughts, opinions, in-text links to videos, whatever you do please try to keep the youtube videos to a minimum! i.e. "Did you hear about the bootleg recordings they made on a cruise ship to Hawaii during a hurricane?" "what? no! ermagerd. Link meh!"

:lollipop_fire:Let's see if we can ban unsolicited youtube wall-of-video blizzard posts! SPOIL YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS!:lollipop_fire:

Let's see how we go!

---

To start things off, and there's no obligation for anyone to give a toss about this, but I just listened to Spiderland by Slint (ermagerd so late!!) and I thought it was meh but recognized that it was pioneering. I still prefer shameless knock-offs Mogwai! Fluh!

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Its not that obscure but it is less known...its not particularly death metal. But it is heavy metal. And since we are on gaming forum i can say it more than qualifies. Devil May Cry HR/HM arrange.

Tschumi

Its not that obscure but it is less known...its not particularly death metal. But it is heavy metal. And since we are on gaming forum i can say it more than qualifies. Devil May Cry HR/HM arrange.
I'm unaware of this. Care to educate me on why it's a big deal?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I've tried this type of thread before but same deal, they get flooded with YouTube videos which no one watches but OP. Like this idea. I'm not a metal fan. Things that catch my attention as a musician are musicians who write in odd time signatures or songs in odd signatures. Fugue by Keith Emerson, A Trip to this Fair by Renaissance, Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield, Frame by Frame King Crimson, and old Peter Gabriel (his work solo from 76-81 before he got poppy).

Tschumi

I've tried this type of thread before but same deal, they get flooded with YouTube videos which no one watches but OP. Like this idea. I'm not a metal fan. Things that catch my attention as a musician are musicians who write in odd time signatures or songs in odd signatures. Fugue by Keith Emerson, A Trip to this Fair by Renaissance, Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield, Frame by Frame King Crimson, and old Peter Gabriel (his work solo from 76-81 before he got poppy).
Wow your suggestions are fire! Totally get what you're on about.. I'll give these listens.. name an album or two?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I can do more than two albums worth listening to related to or beyond those I mentioned:

- Yes: The Yes Album
- Yes: Close to the Edge
- Yes: Fragile
- Chris Squire: Fish Out of Water
- Steve Howe: Beginnings
- King Crimson: Red
- King Crimson: Discipline
- Renaissance: Scheherazade and Other Stories
- ELP: Trilogy
- Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells, Ommadawn, Incantations, Platinum, Five Miles Out, Crises
- Peter Gabriel: 1 (Car), 2 (Scratch), 3 (Melt), Security [his 1st four solo albums were his best, although he leaned more into pop toward the end of Security]

These kind of albums define what LP (long play) was intended for. Just play them solid from beginning to end without skipping over anything. Probably the biggest ones (albums) I can recommend out of this list that will take you to another world are: Incantations (76-minute masterpiece performance broken up into multiple pieces), Fish Out of Water (all tracks are separately listed but it's all one piece), and Peter Gabriel's first album.

Top Bottom