• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soapbox: The Week After PS5's Showcase, Sony Told Us Nothing About Its Next-Gen Console

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Sony’s big PlayStation 5 Showcase Event was an entertaining watch from a software perspective last week, but we said at the time that it’d need to kickstart a flow of constant communication from the Japanese giant. I’d expected it to take the momentum from its livestream into this week, as it utilised the remaining 50 days or so until launch to explain all of the intricacies of its next-gen console.

Instead, it said nothing. Again.

Here’s a list of things that, despite pre-orders being open, we still don’t know about the PS5:

• How its user interface will work and what it looks like.
  • How backwards compatibility will work and its approach to next-gen upgrades for tentpole titles like The Last of Us: Part II and Ghost of Tsushima.
  • Which multimedia apps will be available at launch and whether they’ll include any new PS5 specific features.
  • What the Create button does and how it improves on the Share button.
  • What launch games Destruction AllStars and Sackboy: A Big Adventure are about.
  • Which non-proprietary SSD drives will be whitelisted at launch and how much they cost.

THEAP99

Banned
So what's the deal with this? I really want to know what's going on behind the scenes that made the ps5 rollout so weird? Like a documentary?

If the Spiderman debacle was any indication.. I fear that they're not talking because they want to keep the bad news close to there chest as long as possible?

They could clear the air on so many things, but it's just crickets

Yeah Sony is being really weird, I'm not liking the new leadership team behind the brand, they're definitely a far cry from the 2013 team behind the PlayStation 4. We've got like 46 days until the console releases and we really know nothing about it, we haven't seen the hardware, we have no idea what features it has if any, how the UI is, if they've made any tangible improvements etc.

It's bizarre.

Orky

Banned
I'll take this over not seeing a single game running on Xbox Series X that wasn't a 20 second clip of Minecraft or some Unity indie game garbage.

did you personally see the ps5 running a game though?
Sony didn’t even show the actual console. (No render)
I mean Sony also said that they believe in generations and just a few days ago we were told that suddenly almost all their games are crossgen. Lol.
I wouldn’t believe any PR talk anymore.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I want to see more as well. I keep wondering things about this system that I have preordered and paid for that is only like 6 weeks away from arriving. That's fucking weird. I was just thinking earlier tonight about how I'm hoping the system charges controllers while turned off the way the One X did when I realized there were 10 other things I don't know.

But, that said, the whole, "Sony needs to kickstart a flow of information" take is interesting because apparently they don't need to at all. What would it change if they hyped people even more? The group of people who can't buy one gets larger?

It should be pretty obvious to anyone who follows gaming what's going on.

When something is close to launch and the dev hasn't put it in anyone's hands yet that's always a bad sign.

Then, right before launch, they only let known YouTube shills give previews? You're fucking doomed screwed.

Think Anthem. Or WWE 2k20.

PS5 is seeming like the console hardware version of Anthem or WWE 2k20. Close to release, nothing shown to the public or big media outlets, and the first people to give impressions are going to be Japanese YouTubers.

Edit- removed mention of doom since that's not coming to PS5, but possibly still to Nintendo consoles

Last edited:
It's so irritating. We still know next to nothing about either of them.

Is the primary/secondary console option the same as for PS4? Can I still use two separate PS5s to play a single digital copy of the game with 2 people at the same time?

Does it support Dolby Vision?

Is Fortnite or CoD or any other game going to run at 120fps? What resolution?

How much space is available for storage on the hard drive?

How long do games actually take to load?

How long does a controller charge last? Can I turn off any extra bullshit this time (I'm guessing no) to help with the battery life?

We've got a mic on the controller now. Can we make voice search/commands a big thing this gen??

Last edited:

oldergamer

That's the thing. People have see the new xbox running games. Just not any games designed for it. Hardware is now in reviewers hands but they are under nda at the moment.

Sony have shown ratchet and clank using a few new features, but not a single person outside of sony has had hands on actual final hardware.

FeiRR

Banned
That's the thing. People have see the new xbox running games. Just not any games designed for it. Hardware is now in reviewers hands but they are under nda at the moment.

Sony have shown ratchet and clank using a few new features, but not a single person outside of sony has had hands on actual final hardware.
In other words you believe outlets that got consoles from Microsoft but you dismiss those that got them from Sony.

Boglin

The hardware argument about not having seen the PS5 is so strange to me. Is there anything similar in the rest of the electronics industry where people expect final hardware out so long before release that isn't covered with NDAs or is it just a console thing?

Graphics cards and processors are kept hidden as long as possible.
Apple and other companies who make smartphones would keep their products secret until pretty much their release date if those companies had their way.

Why is seeing the plastic shell in person the big hang up for the PS5?

IMO the UI for PS5 and next gen games for the Xbox should be the only concerns people have right now.
And that's still really pushing the limits for what should be considered "concerning" for the Xbox because a person would have to be just as dumb to believe it will not have next gen games ready as the people who believe the PS5 won't be ready because Sony hasn't sent units to influencers or journalists yet. This is despite the fact that Sony have been manufacturing them for months already and said they want to market more like Apple does.

These things are still over 40 days out, if you're not comfortable with what is known about them yet then don't preorder. Sounds like a lot of people with these concerns are just looking for things to complain about.

FeiRR

Banned
no one has gotten any from Sony!

ETfSdKB.jpg

Once October hits, the information will start rolling out, both companies want to build up the hype and stay in the new cycle until launch day.

geordiemp

Yeah Sony is being really weird, I'm not liking the new leadership team behind the brand, they're definitely a far cry from the 2013 team behind the PlayStation 4. We've got like 46 days until the console releases and we really know nothing about it, we haven't seen the hardware, we have no idea what features it has if any, how the UI is, if they've made any tangible improvements etc.

It's bizarre.

Sony have 10 CU in shaders and 2,2 Ghz, 40 CU arranged.

RDNA 2 PC parts have 10 CU in shaders and 2,.2 Ghz, 40 CU arranged or 80 CU (2 x ps5)

Maybe sony need to wait on AMD, there is allot of NDA and new patents with AMD (and Sony have a few).

Question is, why is XSX the odd one out, 14 CU shader arrays and 1.8 Ghz.

We will get to the bottom of it soon enough, pictures of boxes and cards is not a proper tear down, and no hotchips said nothing or refused to give answers on L1 or process.

Last edited:
Hopefully most things will be the same as last gen feature wise...I too wanted to know the storage upgrade options for the ps5 so I bit the bullet and got one of these bad boys
Worst case scenario my pc gets an upgrade...best case I beat the

mPbmsZc.jpg

People do seem to take the Sony is doing okay approach but I don’t have those same glasses on...they have been asleep at the wheel

hoping the next few weeks we get more solid details

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is, frankly, a flabbergasting list for a format that’s currently on sale. Sony will be slapping backs at PlayStation HQ as it sees its initial shipment of systems sell out, but I’m operating on good faith at this point: I’ve effectively pre-ordered a product that I know next to nothing about; some people have even paid the $499.99 upfront.

The obvious excuse is that there’s a pandemic going on, and I respect the challenges that PlayStation has faced. But it has a PlayStation Blog for the sole purpose of getting information out; why did we wait almost a week for clarification on Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered and how it can be obtained? It wasn’t until Kotaku managed to squeeze a statement out of Sony that we got confirmation!

Pretty much. It’s always a bad sign.

Last edited:
The hardware argument about not having seen the PS5 is so strange to me. Is there anything similar in the rest of the electronics industry where people expect final hardware out so long before release that isn't covered with NDAs or is it just a console thing?
It's completely different from what they did in 2013.

Also, it doesn't show confidence in their product, if their main competitor is completely transparent about everything.

Graphics cards and processors are kept hidden as long as possible.
Apple and other companies who make smartphones would keep their products secret until pretty much their release date if those companies had their way.
Apple releases some product like every few months, while we get a new mainline console gen every 7 years.
Hardly comparable, imo.

Why is seeing the plastic shell in person the big hang up for the PS5?
See above.

Boglin

It's completely different from what they did in 2013.

Also, it doesn't show confidence in their product, if their main competitor is completely transparent about everything.

Apple releases some product like every few months, while we get a new mainline console gen every 7 years.
Hardly comparable, imo.

See above.

So it's just a console thing. Got it.

mckmas8808

Banned
I find it funny these places get all worried when Sony isn't doing things on the time line they think they should. We have a lot of time still

I think Sony should talk more too, but it is funny to see publications act like not knowing everything 2 months ahead of time is some sort of crime.

FunkMiller

This thread is laughable. People ‘flabberghasted’ about the fact we haven’t seen a live Ps5 console, but entirely unconcerned that we haven’t seen a single new game on Xbox.

Both of them have had a poor run up to launch. If you think anything different, you’re consoling warring. Simple as that.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sony should be as vague and quiet about the PS5 for as long as they possibly can

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
It should be pretty obvious to anyone who follows gaming what's going on.

When something is close to launch and the dev hasn't put it in anyone's hands yet that's always a bad sign.

Then, right before launch, they only let known YouTube shills give previews? You're fucking doomed screwed.

Think Anthem. Or WWE 2k20.

PS5 is seeming like the console hardware version of Anthem or WWE 2k20. Close to release, nothing shown to the public or big media outlets, and the first people to give impressions are going to be Japanese YouTubers.

Edit- removed mention of doom since that's not coming to PS5, but possibly still to Nintendo consoles
i dont know what its irony any more

Zok310

Banned

It's bizarre.
Its the same team actually.

Dolomite

I bet everyone that said we don't need an EA is praying we have one in 2021. This Gen 9 launch feels like it's got no clear direction

duhmetree

IMO they're waiting on the RDNA2 conference for some things. They could ramp up marketing from there and maintain the hype until launch.

Maybe another large batch of pre-orders goes live around then.

Last edited:
This thread is laughable. People ‘flabberghasted’ about the fact we haven’t seen a live Ps5 console, but entirely unconcerned that we haven’t seen a single new game on Xbox.

Both of them have had a poor run up to launch. If you think anything different, you’re consoling warring. Simple as that.
What are you talking about? There are TONS of hands on previews with Series X all over youtube and other various outlets today. Your post is 100% console wars

FunkMiller

This is so stupid.

Give exclusive first ps5 looks to people who don't speak english.

Let me you describe a scenario: fans are awaiting actual hands on like rain in the desert and their first impression on the ps5 is going to be... getting confused by a language they don't understand.

God forbid the Japanese video games company lets Japanese people have their new console first.

Hate to break it to you, but America isn't the only market Sony care about.

makaveli60

It's bizarre.
Yep, it's almost 2013 MS level for me. This management should be fired and the previous brought back.

FunkMiller

What are you talking about? There are TONS of hands on previews with Series X all over youtube and other various outlets today. Your post is 100% console wars

And you need to learn to read a little better - or possibly look up the meaning of the word 'new' - whichever seems more appropriate.

Top Bottom