• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So with all this Chip Shortage with the PS5 and Series X

SNG32

How long do you think the lifespan will be for the PS4 and Xbox One also do you think the PS5 and Series X will be a long console gen because of this.

How long do you think the lifespan will be for the PS4 and Xbox One also do you think the PS5 and Series X will be a long console gen because of this.
Xbox One is probably already phased out, and can utilize cloud gaming now.

Switch 2 probably in 2024.

PS4, who knows. That's the only real question. I think projects are already far enough along that it was decided a while ago. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see scalable games on PS4 and PS5. The MS and Ryan approach now seems to be ubiquitous releases across any available platforms, rather than hard exclusives. Playstation is rumored to be in a cloud gaming deal with Netflix, so maybe that will replace PS4 as a substitute for people who can't get systems.

RaZoR No1

Even with the chip shortages, we are still in the fastest selling gen.

I think MS and Sony will phase out the old gen little by little around 2023

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You are looking at a 10 year gen for sure.

Horizon, GoW, GT7 are all cross gen. Their next games will take 5 years. You are looking at 2027 releases for most of these studios and thats when next gen consoles should be launching, but seeing as how everyone is so late to the party, Sony and MS will just delay their next console by a few years.

Mid gen wont arrive until 2025 this time around.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sony is releasing three flagship sequels next year and they're all cross-gen.
Phil Spencer said in July 2020 that Xbox Studios games will be cross-gen for the "next couple of years".

Tells you all you need to know. "Next gen" won't really kick off until 2023. More than anything I wish we'd just stop using the word generation now, it's almost meaningless.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I still see the launch PS5 and Xbox Series X/S as "soft launches." We know that originally some stuff like GT7 was not supposed to be cross gen and we are seeing a lot of games be cross gen that a lot of people anticipated wouldn't be.

That leads me to think we will get at least 8 years of support.

Kagey K

Banned
Microsoft have stopped production of the old gen, no?

I will stick with my crazy prediction that we are going to see a shorten generation from MS.
When the XB1/PS4 first launched I thought that was going to be a stopgap gen and we'd see new machines sooner, but they both managed to stretch it out with MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh

FrankWza

Waiting for a slim or revised console has never been a worse beat. The best generation to be an early adopter is this gen no matter how you slice it. Demand has never been higher, mid gen “pro”consoles are further out than last gen and there is so much uncertainty that the chances of securing a console might go DOWN in years 2 and 3. Crazy.
Edit: also, price drops are even further out that usual

Last edited:
The PlayStation 2 was being produced until 2013... so the PS4 may stick around a lot longer than people think regardless of chip shortage.

Hum...the PS4 is barely in production as we speak to give way to the PS5.
I barely see PS4 consoles on sale out there anymore.

If anything, they will extend this gen a lot more if they don't get the numbers they expected in 5 or 6 years.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think there could be some dire situations if it continues. Game dev time will take longer and require re working to be cross gen. It could be pretty rough.

I think the world needs to realise it doesn't need new phones every year. New gpus etc. But that drives new adoption, and these businesses are built on pure consumerism.

It's pretty crazy when you think about it.

KAL2006

Banned
I think 2 extra years added to the usual generation timeline. But I do think we will still get a Pro version to again too so it won't feel too bad. So a 7-8 year generation, with Pro coming out in year 4.

FrankWza

I think there could be some dire situations if it continues. Game dev time will take longer and require re working to be cross gen. It could be pretty rough.

I think the world needs to realise it doesn't need new phones every year. New gpus etc. But that drives new adoption, and these businesses are built on pure consumerism.

It's pretty crazy when you think about it.
Do people still upgrade their phones annually? Isn’t it just demand is high because almost every person between 10 and death has a smartphone?

Pallas

Wouldn’t there be a shortage of Xbox One S and PS4’s as well once current stock has been exhausted, because of semiconductor chips are being used for the newer generation of consoles or am I missing something?

I bet finding a brand new PS4Pro or Xbox one X is difficult right now …

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

All Xbox One models are discontinued. I haven’t seen a PS4 for sale anywhere, I can’t imagine Sony is making any of those either when they are trying to make PS5s.

Trilobit

Unless there's some crazy good PS5 game that I must have, I think I'm going to be content with just using Game Pass on my phone/tablet this gen.

Really pleased with what Microsoft's doing with cloud gaming.

Last edited:

MikeM

If China invades Taiwan, things will be worse
This is scary.

10 years would be fine. We need to stop wasting resources. We could still be making games on Dreamcast and have a blast.

Manufacturers have to switch to hardware that will stand the test of time and be repairable.
Agreed. But to feed the capitalism machine, we need constant progress and a mentality of everything being old the day after you buy it.

TheMan

Yeah everything will be extended and Im totally fine with that. With diminishing returns it's not like ps6 could deliver games that wouldn't be perfectly doable on ps5

cireza

Banned
To be fair, there is a large enough gap in console generations that the differences are pretty large.
In terms of games and gameplay, it certainly does not feel like this to me. Everything has been stagnant ever since the PS360. We got better resolution and framerate, but innovation in terms of gameplay ? I don't think so. We are playing exactly the same games.

PS4 and XBox One were probably limited by their CPU, but now we have two very powerful and balanced consoles. We need to make them last for as long as possible and stop this absurd race forward.

That’s why they are building fabs in America and elsewhere. China invading would just further cement this.

Which will take half a decade to ramp. If China invaded Taiwan and took control of TSMC and then used it only to pump out chips for China itself and nobody else, can you imagine? It'd be globally devastating.

MikeM

Which will take half a decade to ramp. If China invaded Taiwan and took control of TSMC and then used it only to pump out chips for China itself and nobody else, can you imagine? It'd be globally devastating.
Devastating short term. It would be a boon for first world economies to remove manufacturing from China though. Nodes aren't as good elsewhere but given enough investment they would catch up to TSMC in time.

Only Chinese consumers would be able to tell their washing machine to run a speed wash from their phone. Everyone else would have to put up with cars that just drive perfectly fine, and get some Aux cords. AKA: complete global pandemonium.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
How worse we talking?

Foxconn, TSMC will probably have quite a bit of problems. So like 80% of the IT consumer industry

This is scary.

That’s why they are building fabs in America and elsewhere. China invading would just further cement this.

very worse, gaming and chips would be the last thing in everyone's mind

Devastating short term. It would be a boon for first world economies to remove manufacturing from China though. Nodes aren't as good elsewhere but given enough investment they would catch up to TSMC in time.

Only Chinese consumers would be able to tell their washing machine to run a speed wash from their phone. Everyone else would have to put up with cars that just drive perfectly fine, and get some Aux cords. AKA: complete global pandemonium.

Very very very bad

Very very very bad
I'm a skeptic on that. Not to derail too far, but it's not a realistic position.

China is right next to Russia and North Korea. They make everything and all their supply lines are right there. It would easily trigger a nuclear WWIII. No nuclear power is going to just sit there and get attacked. We'd huff and puff and throw up a few limited sanctions at the very most, and watch it go down like Hong Kong.

People have to accept that not everything can be won by pure force. China is obviously too strong for that kind of approach, especially with a country that is sadly right next to them and will always be threatened in this way.

It would take the entire world agreeing that this isn't okay and standing up to China in terms of sanctions and trade penalties. There isn't a military solution, since nuclear war means everyone loses. Everyone in the US is so used to being the only major power, but we're entering a multi-polar world with multiple players that can sometimes get their way.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I'm a skeptic on that. Not to derail too far, but it's not a realistic position.

China is right next to Russia and North Korea. They make everything and all their supply lines are right there. It would easily trigger a nuclear WWIII. No nuclear power is going to just sit there and get attacked. We'd huff and puff and throw up a few limited sanctions at the very most, and watch it go down like Hong Kong.

People have to accept that not everything can be won by pure force. China is obviously too strong for that kind of approach, especially with a country that is sadly right next to them and will always be threatened in this way.

It would take the entire world agreeing that this isn't okay and standing up to China in terms of sanctions and trade penalties. There isn't a military solution, since nuclear war means everyone loses. Everyone in the US is so used to being the only major power, but we're entering a multi-polar world with multiple players that can sometimes get their way.
I would agree, but the US' lack of sanity these recent years has me concerned that anything dumb could happen at any moment. Just because a war breaks out doesn't mean the nukes fall day 1 either. There would likely be full cyber warfare day 1 followed by smaller scale fighting in the Pacific. But I don't know shit about shit so hopefully nothing happens.

Xbox One is probably already phased out, and can utilize cloud gaming now.

Switch 2 probably in 2024.

PS4, who knows. That's the only real question. I think projects are already far enough along that it was decided a while ago. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see scalable games on PS4 and PS5. The MS and Ryan approach now seems to be ubiquitous releases across any available platforms, rather than hard exclusives. Playstation is rumored to be in a cloud gaming deal with Netflix, so maybe that will replace PS4 as a substitute for people who can't get systems.
No dont believe "rumors" The truth is Sony is a long time talking with MS to use the Cloud tech.

Wouldn’t there be a shortage of Xbox One S and PS4’s as well once current stock has been exhausted, because of semiconductor chips are being used for the newer generation of consoles or am I missing something?

I bet finding a brand new PS4Pro or Xbox one X is difficult right now …
MS is not producing the Xbox one X anymore so you wil not find them when the stock is dried out.

Problem is that I can barely see the progress we made with consoles during the last 15 years.
15 years ago we were in 2006, the PS2 was still the go-to console. The PS3 was not even released and Xbox 360 was on sale with a component cable and with no HDD. HD gaming hadn't started, we were still using DVDs and there was barely any online gaming for consoles.
God of War 2 was still in development and plenty of life was still left for the PS2.

I'm writing this comment and looking at my PS5 and laughing at how much has changed in 15 years tbh.

Top Bottom