• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why did Nintendo abandon the vibrant artstyle in Zelda Wind Waker?

Vagswarm

Whiny fanboys complaining about Celda ruined it.
I'm starting to wonder why so many people complain so loudly, only to turn around years later and claim it's the best and should come back. I remember how loud the moaning was back then... now over the past recent years Wind Waker is showing up on many people's best-of lists... like really?

I'll admit I didn't like WW when I first saw it. Thought it looked childish, probably because I was still a kid at the time. Then I actually played the game (got it with my used Gamecube among other games) and absolutely loved it. Even still, I was looking forward to a more realistic Zelda in the future, because everything was getting more realistic and "adult" at the time. People basically just wanted a next-gen OoT. In their eyes, Wind Waker's cartoony visuals prevented a more serious, adult tone. Everyone was ecstatic when the Twilight Princess teaser happened, because it was exactly what they were hoping for.

I think fans are more open-minded now, but it's still a process.

Kuranghi

Thanks a bunch OP, now I'm missing granny!

Cry Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Come on Ninty, get WW on Switch ASAP you bumheads.

"Oh its hard though, we want it to run at 60fps but the framerate is tied to the game logic" - Nintendo, probably

Just...

Yelling Figure It Out GIF by Barstool Sports

I do think BotW is continuing on the spirit of WW style, its supposed to be WW, TP and SS combined but I don't see as much SS in it since they dropped the impressionistic painting style part of it.

belmarduk

They didn't.. at all.
The Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
A Link Between Worlds
Link's Awakening (2019)

All have the same art style.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Too many self entitled, cry baby American gamers disliked the change in art direction, which reduced sales...and Nintendo, despite its cutesy Disney front, is all about the $$$.

Majukun

because it ultimately was not that good and many fans rejected it.
you can go outside of photorealism and still mak something less minimalistic and more appealing to the eye..and that's pretty much what they did with the series artstyle going forward

Top Bottom