• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So when will the real PS5 launch happen?

dcmk7

Banned
I know a few people who are after one and are massively frustrated with the situation.

Retailers should be doing more to protect against bots.

It's crazy to think 2 months after launch demand is still crazily high.

Xbox Series X appears to be a lot easier to get hold off right now, can imagine more and more look at that option in the interim, if the situation continues.

They way these scalpers are going on it going to be a while before it's not a struggle to get one
There's just so much scalper stock out there on ebay etc that nobody is buying. You would think the scalpers would stop scalping now, or else they're going to end up with stock they can't sell for a profit.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I know a few people who are after one and are massively frustrated with the situation.

Xbox Series X appears to be a lot easier to get hold off right now, can imagine more and more look at that option in the interim, if the situation continues.
It sells out in an instant. I have decided to just stick with PS4 for now. I am honestly still quite happy with the graphics. I just figure it isn't worth getting frustrated in getting one just yet. Especially with not too many game releases out.

Xyphie

Until semiconductor shortages clear it's just not sensible for vendors to ship Sony/MS more than the absolute minimum of contracted amount of chips unless they start paying big premiums.

baphomet

First console launch? Demand will continue like this for at least another 6+ months. Could be into 2022 before they're regularly seen on shelves.

Also, there's very little retailers can do that they don't already to prevent bots.

I swear posts on here act as though they're just adding 100 PS5s to their cart and checking out.

Entroyp

It launched on November 12. It’s the console with the most games around launch I remember. And there’s more coming in the next couple of months.

Simply spectacular.

It’s sucks that demand is so high and people have to wait to get one.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
The official launch is when it is a black console that doesn't look like it got cooked in a microwave. Still an ugly ass design.

PolterGhast07

Neo Member
Scalping these things turned unprofitable weeks ago. That's not the problem. It's the fact that Sony barley made any of these things, so the only people that have them are either incredibly lucky or have very deep pockets. Once production starts to get back on it's feet, we'll see more PS5's out and about in the wild.

Scalping these things turned unprofitable weeks ago. That's not the problem. It's the fact that Sony barley made any of these things, so the only people that have them are either incredibly lucky or have very deep pockets. Once production starts to get back on it's feet, we'll see more PS5's out and about in the wild.

Where is your data for this?

Last I checked, PS5 is the fastest selling console ever.

If scalping was truly not profitable, the scalpers would be competing against each other and the prices would be back to around MSRP.

Last edited:

FStubbs

It’s complete disaster in E. Europe and since I have contacts in Central E. it’s pretty much the same there. And I read on these forums that situation is dire in the rest of the world too.

What you, unfortunately, see is good ol’ “I got mine since I preordered in first second available in richest country in the world so fuck you all losers who didn’t hahaha”. It’s pure capitalistic selfishness and disregard for anyone but himself. Those are the same people who wouldn’t think of helping a person who tripped and fell on a street, for example.

It’s rampant on Resetera but I see it going strong here too. Just a quick memo for you guys, your brand new toy will get less shinier by the day as this gen crashes and burns brought down by botched launch, unwillingness to deal with scalpers and release boxes to stores. Just yesterday scalpers were bragging on twitter how they snatched another 2k from UK’s GAME and that it’s getting easier.

Software sales show it’s complete and total disaster. The longer this continues, the bigger hole for Sony will be to dig itself out of. Oh, and crossgen games period will be prolonged since no one in their right mind would want to release their next big AAA for 5M people. Wouldn’t that suck for you elitists haha.
There's no way the scalpers can keep this going, though. Sooner or later the dam will break.

... we think. Have the bots gotten good enough to perpetually snatch every single PS5?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Launch windows isn’t up till Ratchet and Clank gets realeased. Who the fuck knows when that is at this point.

Aenima

If u have a time machine you can teleport back to 12th and 19th November of 2020 and experience the launch of the PS5 all over again.

Malakhov

Banned
I was about to grab 6 consoles so far for collegues and friends. If you can't get one yet you're not really trying. All it takes is patience and joining discord servers with stock warnings. I was able to grab a Rtx 3080 that way also

There's no way the scalpers can keep this going, though. Sooner or later the dam will break.

... we think. Have the bots gotten good enough to perpetually snatch every single PS5?
Just release the damn thing to the stores, malls and everything else in real world. But they can’t because production is abysmal (chip issues) and draconian pandemic measures are fucking everything up.

recursive

I almost forgot about wanting a PS5 at this point. It's end of January and as far as I can tell it's still impossible to buy a PS5.
At this point I wonder if Sony actually has to do a proper relaunch for the PS5 for once it's actually readily available in stores.

To me it feels more like there has been a prerelease of the PS5 with Demon Souls serving as a great tech demo.

So I am wondering, when do you think the PS5 will really properly arrive and not play second fiddle to the PS4, but have it's own original blockbuster Games that can't run on PS4 Pro?

By now I am almost thinking that won't happen till Christmas 2022. I actually wouldn't be suprised if there was already a smaller formfactor redesign in the works for as early as Winter 2022, which could be understood as the real arrival of the PS5 as a massmarket product.
Excellent cope post.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Have a friend still looking for one but he refuses to get a Twitter account much less let it push notifications to his phone.

Like I don't know how else to do it right now other than being super quick with Twitter.

Kerotan

The fact that it’s out of stock doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a real launch. They don’t need to do a relaunch either. The same thing happened with the Wii and the Switch for a while.

Also, those comments that people make like “it won’t be available until 2022” are over exaggerating and being over dramatic.
I dunno playstation is stealing xboxs thunder big time and has demand like no console ever before. So many big bitter exclusives in the pipeline too.

Fox Mulder

Who knows with the pandemic creating more demand and production issues. You can’t easily find any console right now just going to Amazon or into a retail store.

The old ones got a bit scarce due to the pandemic demand and stimulus checks even before Sony and MS discontinued them. The Switch has been out for years and still flies out of stock.

RCU005

I actually wonder when the real launch of PS5 OS will be! That OS is so incomplete it hurts! It' like it's in pre-alpha state yet. You can even compare it to PS4 1.0 FW and you'll notice right away there's many things missing, or badly done.

JLB

Banned
Until semiconductor shortages clear it's just not sensible for vendors to ship Sony/MS more than the absolute minimum of contracted amount of chips unless they start paying big premiums.

This. And 2021 will be really challenging for both Sony and Microsoft. Theres just too much demand and not enough supply at all.

Still not able to buy a PS5.

Been checking every day.

Tempted to cave and pay a scalper. Price seems to have gone down a bit since Dec. Seem you can get one for about $820 USD now.

Enjay

Banned
This is my assumption. You can only order online and as long as they have enough to invest in consistently buying them with bots (and by selling them at ridiculous prices they can) they can continue this almost indefinitely. Which would be pretty funny tbh.

supernova8

Banned
I think the problem is a combination of bots but more so that it's online only. Previous launches you'd see people lining up outside stores and physically walking out with a next gen console. Even if you personally couldn't get one, there was a sense of peace in the fact that "at least someone got one".

This time, we don't have that and the bot situation creates the illusion that every single unit is being snatched up by bots. Not even sure how you'd measure that but yeah it's about perception I guess.

If people don't perceive it to be possible to get a PS5 (and don't perceive it to have ever been easy to get one) even a few months in, obviously people are going to start wondering... where are all the PS5s?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Sony has already sold 3.5 million consoles...

doRuC59.jpg

It's pretty bad. At this pace we will get a PS5 almost when the gen is about to finisish.

This gen, you'll have to take a good year and a half until the thing is looking like a normal gen.

More people own a PS5 than PS4 launch aligned, or PS3 or PS2. Biggest console launch sales ever for any console. It's dwarfing all that came before. The problem is not so much a failure of supply as it's a failure in underestimating demand, and failing to meet it by taking all the necessary measures to make sure such demand is/was met. And it's a failure because you don't take people's money and willingness to purchase your product for granted. Today a consumer may have the money but tomorrow he may allocate that disposable income to something completely unrelated, the competition, or an emergency - business 101. You want to be there when the consumer is there, and willing.

Last edited:
It has launched. Millions of people have one. Just because demand is so high, it doesn't mean it hasn't launched!
It's the fact that Sony barley made any of these things
I mean that just is not the case. They have made and sold more PS5's at launch than they did PS4's and PS3's etc.

But they can’t because production is abysmal (chip issues)
and yet they still made and sold more than their previous machines at launch so, I suspect you are talking rubbish

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Honestly, I kind of feel the same way. I was really bummed I didn't get one at first, but now I'm at a point where I don't really care anymore, and I'm not even sure I would WANT one right now if I was offered one. Sure, I'd like to play DeS and MM, but that's pretty much it. I have enough stuff left to play on my PS4 that I'm kind of good.

The hype died.

OrochiJR

PS5 and XSX are impossible to get in Austria since November. The scalpers really did a number on the next gen launch. Makes me dread a Switch Pro release.

I really hope sometime in spring I can just order it on amazon or waltz into an electronic store and pick one up without jumping through hoops to get lucky in a 2 minute preorder window in the middle of the night.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol just be patient and you'll get one. honestly there's no real rush to buy one right now. the biggest games available are a spiderman spin off and a remake of an 11 year old game.

shortages are common for lots of new tech products and in case you forgot we're in the middle of a global pandemic.

it's not the end of the world if you don't get your PS5.

It's pretty bad. At this pace we will get a PS5 almost when the gen is about to finisish.

This gen, you'll have to take a good year and a half until the thing is looking like a normal gen.
wtf i think you're exaggerating just a tiny little bit there....

Last edited:

GinSama

My biggest reason for ps5 is demon souls and for the series x is halo.
Honestly it sucks waiting, but I have no issue right know.
until cross gens are happening and low stock as well, for me is even better to finish my backlog .

docbot

Banned
Calm down, Demon Souls is great, but it's not an original game, it's more of a "tech demo" in the sense that it's an great done exact replica of an existing game, but showing of what it can look like on a PS5.

Here in Europe it just feels like there are simply no PS5 units around and at this point it doesn't even make sense for Sony to advertise it, since you probably still can't pick it up in Feburary.

Obviously it launched, but it sure aint a mass market available product. I agree that Ratchet and Clank bundled together this fall will probably be the point where PS5 market saturation and availability is high enough for it to truly take the spotlight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom