• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So when will the real PS5 launch happen?

docbot

Banned
I almost forgot about wanting a PS5 at this point. It's end of January and as far as I can tell it's still impossible to buy a PS5.
At this point I wonder if Sony actually has to do a proper relaunch for the PS5 for once it's actually readily available in stores.

To me it feels more like there has been a prerelease of the PS5 with Demon Souls serving as a great tech demo.

So I am wondering, when do you think the PS5 will really properly arrive and not play second fiddle to the PS4, but have it's own original blockbuster Games that can't run on PS4 Pro?

By now I am almost thinking that won't happen till Christmas 2022. I actually wouldn't be suprised if there was already a smaller formfactor redesign in the works for as early as Winter 2022, which could be understood as the real arrival of the PS5 as a massmarket product.

Last edited:

RCU005

The fact that it’s out of stock doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a real launch. They don’t need to do a relaunch either. The same thing happened with the Wii and the Switch for a while.

Also, those comments that people make like “it won’t be available until 2022” are over exaggerating and being over dramatic.

Anyone can get one if you are willing to put some time into it. I only had to camp out one time to snag one (walmart online).

Easy if you're american since stock priority and all that but good luck finding one in Eastern Europe. Out of a few dozen they all get snagged by bots and whatever.

ZywyPL

Banned
My guess is somewhere around the summer things should get better, I don't expect the current supply situation to change at all in Q1, maybe something will move in Q2 at earliest, maybe.

Last edited:

Toaster man

Neo Member
Lol I feeel like the scalpers have over 50% of the stock at this point and I refuse to pay a dollar more than retail so the "launch" will be when I can just buy one without massive planning / refreshing / annoyance

I feel like the scalpers are on borrowed time. Once the supply situation catches up which I think will be in the next 2-3 months they will not be able to offload the stock they are sitting on

HoofHearted

I almost forgot about wanting a PS5 at this point. It's end of January and as far as I can tell it's still impossible to buy a PS5.
At this point I wonder if Sony actually has to do a proper relaunch for the PS5 for once it's actually readily available in stores.

To me it feels more like there has been a prerelease of the PS5 with Demon Souls serving as a great tech demo.

So I am wondering, when do you think the PS5 will really properly arrive and not play second fiddle to the PS4, but have it's own original blockbuster Games that can't run on PS4 Pro?

By now I am almost thinking that won't happen till Christmas 2022. I actually wouldn't be suprised if there was already a smaller formfactor redesign in the works for as early as Winter 2022, which could be understood as the real arrival of the PS5 as a massmarket product.
LOL - If you think the PS5 was hard to get.. you should go talk to Jensen about the 30xx paper launches..

Moogle11

Banned
It was late March, really April, when I started seeing the PS4 in shelves. Nabbed one myself at Costco in late march 2014 when I stumbled across a pallet full.

I’m guessing it will be longer for PS5 as Covid will keep most sales online where bots and people with time to refresh constantly, jump on it as soon as Wario64 or others tweet in stock alerts etc. snap them up near instantly. The average joe has a better chance of finding one in normal times when they can just check local stores periodically and hope to pop in after a truck came in.

I scored both a PS5 and XSX on launch night/morning, though both shipped later and came in late November. Spent way too much time and energy, stayed up too late etc. to do so. Felt a little pathetic as a 40 something, but the hype got me as I had finally bought a 4K HDR TV in October so I had extra incentive to upgrade consoles.

That will likely be my last launch unless there’s a reasonable preorder option in future generations. Just not worth the time or effort when there are so few next gen exclusive games anyway. Why the console makers can’t just take preorders for a week or two 6+ months in advance (to give time to make stock for those orders before allocating extras to stores) is beyond me. They could even limit the preorders to people with paid PS+/Live/Gamepass/Nintendo Online accounts to somewhat discourage scalpers and reward the fans most important to their ecosystems and bottom lines.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Depends on what your definition of blockbuster is. Presumably it's limited to a handful of studios, so your "launch" definition is arbitrarily tied to whenever those studios actually release a game. Probably God of War 2 next year.

Obviously though, there won't be a hard second "launch", it's just a steady ongoing process of shipping out as many as is possible (while completely ignoring the botting problem and letting it run rampant).

It’s complete disaster in E. Europe and since I have contacts in Central E. it’s pretty much the same there. And I read on these forums that situation is dire in the rest of the world too.

What you, unfortunately, see is good ol’ “I got mine since I preordered in first second available in richest country in the world so fuck you all losers who didn’t hahaha”. It’s pure capitalistic selfishness and disregard for anyone but himself. Those are the same people who wouldn’t think of helping a person who tripped and fell on a street, for example.

It’s rampant on Resetera but I see it going strong here too. Just a quick memo for you guys, your brand new toy will get less shinier by the day as this gen crashes and burns brought down by botched launch, unwillingness to deal with scalpers and release boxes to stores. Just yesterday scalpers were bragging on twitter how they snatched another 2k from UK’s GAME and that it’s getting easier.

Software sales show it’s complete and total disaster. The longer this continues, the bigger hole for Sony will be to dig itself out of. Oh, and crossgen games period will be prolonged since no one in their right mind would want to release their next big AAA for 5M people. Wouldn’t that suck for you elitists haha.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Low stock is protocol for console launches, looking at console launches they inspire mobs, checking website inventories three times a day and not doing their duties in respecting gaming, sending off a boss battle, playing the role of a hero so for what it’s worth I think console stock will be apart of retail stores next year.

Silvawuff

I'll personally consider it "real launched" when you can walk into a store and buy it without having to wait in lines, camp against bots, or participate in some kind of rat race.

I'm fine waiting. I'd love to have a more souped-up console to play what I'm currently playing (OG PS4 here. Oof.), but the library and new games are lean in the teeth right now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t know, I’ll probably try to get a digital edition at the end of the year. I doubt it’ll seriously be worth owning until year 3 or 4 though, which is when Sony’s FP usually hit their stride.

I scored both a PS5 and XSX on launch night/morning, though both shipped later and came in late November. Spent way too much time and energy, stayed up too late etc. to do so. Felt a little pathetic as a 40 something, but the hype got me as I had finally bought a 4K HDR TV in October so I had extra incentive to upgrade consoles.

Nah, man, don't think like that. It's awesome you still have the passion about stuff to do things like that.

I'm 41 and waited through the middle of the night to pre-order my PS5. I've had a blast with it.

I also have a buddy who paid a scalper, bought several games and has turned it on one time since launch. He just doesn't seem to be able to get excited for anything lately.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've ordered 19.11.2020.... it is now a restock time today in Poland and my order is quiet... fucking hell
Edit: it's happening. It's sent :eek:

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Players or scalpers - genuine q.

btw- How do you know ?
Players.
You can look at software sales... scalpers doesn't buy games... PS5 games already has a lot of sales.

Most GAFers have the console too if you look at the threads... they very few that are trying yet to find one :(

PS. My friend list is right now 50/50 between PS5 and PS4... you can say it is because the low numbers (39 online) but that is already 20 guys online playing PS5.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It already happened? Folks are slowly being able to get themselves a console more and more. Still gonna take sometime unfortunately, but they're trickling out which is good for those that want them.

Rayderism

To me, the PS5 is just not practical to bother with at this point. Too many hoops to jump through just to get one. The secondary SSD slot hasn't been enabled yet. No way to cold-storage PS5 games to a more affordable HDD. The new so-called updated PSN is more of a regression than a progression.

Just too many things that need fixed, added and enabled to be worth my money. It's like the whole PS5 infrastructure is in a beta stage. And it feels like the PS4 is being dragged down with it....mostly due to PSN royally sucking now. Think I'll just wait until Sony gets their mess cleaned up.

Gamerguy84

Follow the right Twitter accounts and set notifications to all, have card and shipping info saved at all retailers, know that when a retailer drops they usually will again in 5 to 30 minutes in waves, keep spamming the buy button, refresh and try again.

Of course drops have slowed recently but when they go live you will be notified with a direct link and that method can get you one. Once I started doing this I got it on the 3rd attempt.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
tEcH dEmO

giphy.gif

Cornbread78

Sony rep told our store back in Sept that it wouldn't be until Feb/March/April before reg shipments were available... WalMart/Target haven't had a "sale" on PS5 or SerX|S in awhile, so I would keep your eyes on those stores soon as the 2nd large shipment from China should arrived or will be arriving very soon according to the random rumors online, but the timeline does match....

Everyone that I know that wanted a PS5, now has one... you need to try harder lol.

It’s normal for a console to launch without having a lot of native games but the stock of the PS5 and games will change once we enter the fall of this year.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The fact that it’s out of stock doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a real launch. They don’t need to do a relaunch either. The same thing happened with the Wii and the Switch for a while.

Also, those comments that people make like “it won’t be available until 2022” are over exaggerating and being over dramatic.
Yep. Probably a less shitty design and should be widely available this Fall.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I see. It's not a real launch because you don't have one. They sold millions already and are probably selling 100s of thousands each month. If half the PS4 owners want one now, there is a demand for 50 million or so more. Even if only 5 million wanted it right now, it would still be hard to get one.

Now I could entertain an argument that the real launch doesn't occur until there is a real, must have, 1st party exclusive released.

protonion

The situation in low priority countries is insane.

Here in Greece only 2000 ps5s have been sold and the preorders are over 70000.

To put in in perspective, it's like in USA they had shipped 60000 consoles so far.

I got mine so no problems!

Rodolink

impossible here in Germany, been trying since release (should've pre-ordered one in September i was stupid not to)

Fredrik

”What’s a PS5?”
Somewhere someone is asking exactly that. I’ve still not seen a PS5 in real life or in stock online and don’t know anyone who own one. It’s the weirdest console launch I’ve ever experienced. I know it’s not Sony’s fault though and I mostly play on PC anyway so personally I’m slowly accepting not having one, but this still sucks.

Top Bottom