• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So when will Sony release a portable PS4?

Would a portable PS4 with an SSD be enough?

• Yes, just want to complete my backlog.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • No, needs to be as powerful as Steam Deck.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • No, would just drag down PS5.

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • No, I need backcompat with PSP & PSVita

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

old-parts

It's far less costly and immensely more profitable for Sony to just port PS4 games to Steam and let them run on Steam Deck.

A portable PS4 is not possible using its existing hardware and any new hardware design would require Sony to assign a team of software engineers to port software to it, that is a far higher investment then just porting older PS4 games to steam.

UnNamed

Banned
A PS4 portable should be exactly powerful as the base PS4, nothing less. They need to port games with just a patch, no rewriting the code or mess with the graphics. Developers want to port games at zero cost, they are already annoyed with Series S. Switch is different since it's a new platform to port games, developer have already converted their games on PS4.

A PS4 Ultraslim would have more sense.

Fahdis

mVsD0yR.gif

Agent X

Issues with a PS4 Portable

You've made a lot of good points, particularly with regard to points 2 (chip and compatibility), 3 (RAM bandwidth), and 8 (storage issues), all of which would be difficult for Sony to work with at this time. I believe that these issues could be addressed in the future, but as time progresses there would be less demand for a PS4 portable.

I do think that they could get the controls and screen to an acceptable level of usability, just as they are now with the Switch, or like the Steam Deck is proposing. Also, I believe that low-end PS4 games will continue to be developed for several more years, since they will also be playable on PS5. The presence of such a portable system on the market would help to ensure that these games continue to be made for a long time. However, the hardware obstacles described above would make it difficult to even produce such a portable system.

CobraAB

After the fail of the Vita (which I liked(, it certainly seems like a no by Sony.

But then, there does seem to be some resurgence in handhelds so I guess it can never be ruled out but do lean a bit towards no.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Give me a portable old school 60gb PS3, so I can play PS1/2 games as well. And since it's portable, work in the Vita and PSP catalogue. Release new fighters and Little Big Planet and shit to make revenue on full priced titles. Call it the PS-Threeta.

Mr Branding

Can’t trust Sony with anything these days. If they treat their next handheld like the Vita, then they should not bother.

AGRacing

I've had a wish for this thing for months...

The "PSP 2" should be a portable PS4 class machine (based on current AMD architecture the way PS5 is built to work with PS4) ... but they shouldn't say it is or market it as a PS4. Let it play all PS4 digital games because it can and people will want to buy it immediately.... but NEW games released for the console should be "PSP 2" games.

Initially... consider letting PSP 2 cross buy with PS4 equivalent when relevant ... but always allow play on PS5 via the backward compatibility engine. SAY the PS5 is playing a PSP 2 game. All PSP2 games are playable on PS5.

It needs to be a new platform... but leveraging all the developer support and ease of use of the old platform... and the work that was done to PS5 to work with PS4. Transitioning away from PS4 to PS5 would also work from a marketing perspective this way. They can let go of the PS4 name because PSP 2 isn't directly associated with it.

If the system ends up being slightly more capable (due to rdna architecture improvements or cpu architecture improvements) than a standard PS4 that power can be leveraged as well for new titles that are only meant to work on PSP 2 and PS5.

sunnysideup

Banned
I would not buy an playstation vita 2 or an playstation switch esque handheld.

But i would uy an playstation "deck" immediately.

I aint got no time for grappy handheld games any more.

But if i could play my playstation library on the go that would be great.

Top Bottom