• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So What's The NeoGAF Thought On The Shadowrun CRPGs?

So since there is all this talk about Cyberpunk, I'm curious what you fine folks think of Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong?

Much like Cyberpunk 2077 is getting me interested in the R. Talsorian tabletop game, the Shadowrun CRPGs did much the same. Story-wise, I like Hong Kong. Without spoiling much, I like the whole thing around the main antagonist/final boss of the original Hong Kong game (not the Extended Edition) but I know Dragonfall is generally considered the best in the series.

So what do most of you think of the SR games.

Ok I guess you can bring up the SNES and Genesis versions too while you're at it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I Kickstarted the first one and really wished I could get into it, but something just felt off about the whole experience. I love the IP, so I remember being really disappointed, but couldn't quite put my finger on why. Same thing happened for me with Wasteland 2, sadly.

I Kickstarted the first one and really wished I could get into it, but something just felt off about the whole experience. I love the IP, so I remember being really disappointed, but couldn't quite put my finger on why. Same thing happened for me with Wasteland 2, sadly.
Was it just the whole X-COM mixed with standard RPG type of gameplay that turned you off? Maybe the large amount of dialogue? I was almost surprised how the game came off feeling more like a Storyteller game (i.e. World of Darkness) then what I'd expect from typical Shadowrun.

I think it would have been nicer if the game had a larger budget, some better graphics and voice acting, for instance.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Only played the first few moments of the first game.. must admit.. i think it was on pc.. it just didn't capture me and i had enough other great games going at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFawz

I want to love them so much and I've tried getting into each of the 3 entries on PC with the use of mods, but for the life of me I can't. They just feel so shallow, you can really tell that Mobile platform support was one of the main focuses of the game and really limited things. It doesn't help that they're budget titles with no/bad voice acting, limited character animations (and overall detail) and little to no world interaction.

I think they succeeded at what they set out to do, but people were hoping and expecting a lot more of the games. If you're into the setting then at least the writting, story and characters are pretty good though so it succeeded on that front. Also for a Pen & Paper adaption the lack of co-op play is pretty weird IMO

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Was it just the whole X-COM mixed with standard RPG type of gameplay that turned you off? Maybe the large amount of dialogue? I was almost surprised how the game came off feeling more like a Storyteller game (i.e. World of Darkness) then what I'd expect from typical Shadowrun.

I think it would have been nicer if the game had a larger budget, some better graphics and voice acting, for instance.

Again, it's hard to put my finger on exactly what it was. Nothing seemed particularly bad, but it all just felt kind of shallow and plain. This was years ago, so my memory is not the best. I think how TheFawz pointed out you could really tell that mobile platform support was a main focus of the development came across loud and clear to me in a not-positive way.

Kacho

The Shadowrun RPGs are nice distractions if you’re in the mood for cyberpunk. I’m glad they exist and I’ll fire them up from time to time.

They’re unfortunately a little shallow. Everything you expect is there, most of it just feels insignificant? I dunno. The shallowness can make them difficult to stick with, took me a few tries to get into the first game.

Combat is pretty fun.

SpiceRacz

I only played Returns and "Shallow and plain" is pretty accurate. Got through 8 hours and remember nothing from it. The SNES game is still my favorite though and I prefer it over the one on Genesis.

Rikkori

They're amazing and sadly we won't see anymore being made for quite a while. At least they're very mod friendly.

Chukhopops

They are good but quite short and not particularly deep compared to most CRPGs. The second one was imo the best one story wise.

What I thought the game missed most is some feeling of impact during combat. When you play Xcom 2 for example you have those beefy animations, ragdoll effects and environment destruction that gives combat a more visceral feel. This feel is completely absent in the SR series.

Maybe one day we can get a Shadowrun game with Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay.

Imagine 2077 but with crazy crap like dragons and Invae and at some point maybe traveling to a metaplane for the finale.

I also think a Judge Dredd game would work with Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay. Driving the Lawmaster around the city, stopping wild criminals....

I completed Dragonfall and apparently played over 30 hours. But it didn’t leave a big impression on me. To some extent I kept going because it was pretty hyped at the time and I was hoping for a narrative payoff that didn’t really come. The combat is fine but feels quite lame compared to XCOM.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'll echo the Dragonfall praise; it's very well put together. I will say, the limited budget and lower production values show - it's A to AA in quality. But, if you're willing to play a long a little, it's got a lot going for it.

Rickyiez

I've finished the first Shadowrun Returns and started Dragonfall(couldn't finish it) sometimes ago . They aren't bad , decently written but the gameplay is quite shallow and it gets repetitive fast . Not a big fan of the hacking mini-game though .

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I played Shadowrun Returns. It was nice to play in the world, but the depth (combat, questlines, character customization) was appropriate for a mobile phone or tablet game. Not really the 'return' I was hoping for, but I've heard the sequels are deeper.

TheContact

for some reason i felt the same way about divinity original sin 2. the first one was fucking amazing but i couldn't get into the second one, even though it's probably a much better game

CamHostage

Seems like a good thread to post this, since an OT didn't happen:

Shadowrun Trilogy is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2022

It's all three of Harebrained Schemes games (Extended/Director's Cut Editions) for Nintendo's platform. (I assume it's only Nintendo's platform, this was announced in the Nintendo Direct and so sometimes new news comes out afterwards that a title in one company's show is actually for other platforms, but Paradox and Harebrained didn't mention anything else yet.) Good platform for these Shadowrun games it seems, interesting that they pulled them out of the vault (there hasn't been a new Shadowrun in 5 years, right?), between this and giving the Trilogy away on EGS earlier this Summer maybe Paradox is chumming the water for more. But then, Microsoft re-registererd the trademark in 2017, so as always with Shadowrun, it's complicated.

Also, I wanted to post this because I have a stupid question... There were three Shadowrun games recently? I saw "Shadowrun Trilogy" on the Nintendo Direct and my immediate thought was, "Er, OK, so the Xbox game, the SNES game, and that Returns one I kept meaning to play?" I legit couldn't think of three actual Shadowrun games besides those (and at most, I thought the different Returns sequels were DLC, not actually part of some Trilogy.) Guess I've got to read through this thread and figure these games out before the Trilogy comes out.

Top Bottom