• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what's preventing Sony from allowing me to put PS2 discs on my PS5?

solidus12

I've been replaying the Silent Hill games on my PS2 with a crappy HDMI converter and the result is okay-ish (on an LG oled).
I'm enjoying my time, but I kept asking myself why the hell can't the PS5 read PS2 discs? They already have a built-in PS2 emulator so what's the amount of work needed for us to use our discs and insert them into the console and start playing?

Yeah, PS2 had a unique architecture with its Emotion Engine, but I'm pretty sure that the PS5 can easily emulate the console considering the power differential between the two consoles.

I need my backwards compatibility fix Sony !!
I would kill for a PlayStation that can read all the previous consoles' discs.

What are your thoughts? Do you want to have a PS1/PS2 emulator on your PS5s?

First off, from a business perspective, there is no financial incentive for them to allow you to play games that you've already purchased, if anything there is a cost in doing so because they can't re-sell you the game digitally or induce you to pay for a subscription that might contain the game.

Second, the PS5 doesn't read CDs, which means that the same support couldn't be made for PS1 games, which would be an incongruency.

I think they need to improve their software emulation across the board, but I think hardware emulation is a tall order, especially since it is niche and hardly used even by those that especially ask for it. The opportunity costs combined with the financial disincentive just don't make sense.

They're better off putting time/money into improving the UI, which I feel is in really poor shape 2 years into the system's life.

I personally don't care for backwards compatability. However, I think it's mostly greed and lack of wanting to invest money in it.

I do understand though why and how some people want to play games they've bought years ago on their newer systems so I don't blame them for it and their reasons are very valid.

Me personally, I buy a new console for the new shiny toys. Backwards compatability to me is just a nice bonus and I think it was smart of Microsoft to act on it. They are best in the business when it comes to such things.

At this this point I wouldn't rely on Sony on any kind of backwards compatability features moving forward. Even on the PS6. Hell they even refuse to make PSVR2 backwards compatible.

Most of the top-selling PS2 games have either remasters, ports, or successors already as well.

I get this and I'm often nostalgic about certain eras or would like to play games that I missed out on, but there are ways to play most of these games that are largely just ignored.

And I think it's funny that most people don't want to repurchase the games they already own because that's a financial commitment they don't want to make, but they don't understand that Sony also doesn't want to make a financial commitment here either.

I personally don't care for backwards compatability. However, I think it's mostly greed and lack of wanting to invest money in it.

I do understand though why and how some people want to play games they've bought years ago on their newer systems so I don't blame them for it and their reasons are very valid.

Me personally, I buy a new console for the new shiny toys. Backwards compatability to me is just a nice bonus and I think it was smart of Microsoft to act on it. They are best in the business when it comes to such things.

At this this point I wouldn't rely on Sony on any kind of backwards compatability features moving forward. Even on the PS6. Hell they even refuse to make PSVR2 backwards compatible.

I think going forward now that we have more unified approaches to things a certain level of backward compatibility and even enhancement is to be expected.

The problem historically is that the architecture for all of this hardware and software was so wildly different for every generation.

That's what we see with the last two generations a pro is that the architecture is similar, but conversely don't see a significant change in features like we used to get in gaming from generation to generation.

Console gaming has become very much in line with PC gaming in the best and worst ways.

Look at Nintendo. No Nintendo console ever had backward compatibility, unlike some of their handhelds. (Apparently, Wii and Wii U had some BC, wasn't aware of that).

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Given time and money I’m sure they could find a solution to play every PlayStation generation on Ps5. Doubt they’d want to spend that time and money on a feature like that though.

Last edited:
Silent Hill unfortunately isn't though as far as I know

#f*Konami (and sony in this case)

I mean Sony can't compel Konami to do quality ports/remasters, but that's not necessarily an argument for Sony to focus on BC.

Interesting I had no idea the Wii played GC games and the Wii U, Wii games (though that does make sense). I think that lines been properly broken again with the Switch though.

Three

Given time and money I’m sure they could find a solution to play every PlayStation generation on Ps5. Doubt they’d want to spend that time and money on a feature like that though.
Even though I dont much care for BC they honestly should. People would be more forgiving if there was a way to even buy Silent Hill on new consoles at least but considering it's not available (it was on PSNow in the past) BC would be a welcome way to at least have access even if Konami don't want to do a new release on the store.

They just need to figure out a way to download ps3 games and just really beef up the premium selection and im happy.

Give me some old sony classics like twisted metal 2, and legend of the dragoon, give me some old namco and square deep cuts like Tobal, bloody roar, the bouncer, or bushido blade,ehrgeiz, etc. You know, games they definitely aren’t gonna bother to remaster at this point

I dont care about a big extensive hardware revision that only like 4% of. The population that still has ps2 games somewhere are just gonna use a few times. Most people are just using straight up using emulators at this point

Last edited:

Soodanim

I still find it funny that your best chance for getting classic PlayStation games to run is the Xbox (using RetroArch). They will also likely look better too, thanks to either rendering improvements or shaders.

Crayon

It's not like they haven't thought of it. Or that it's not possible. It's just a low priority. Too bad because that would be nice.

You got a decent setup with a real ps2 to hdmi tho. That's my preferred method.

tommib

It's not like they haven't thought of it. Or that it's not possible. It's just a low priority. Too bad because that would be nice.

You got a decent setup with a real ps2 to hdmi tho. That's my preferred method.
What’s your setup? I’m thinking of getting a PS2 to replay King’s Field 4 but I know it’s going to look hyper blurry on a 4K TV.

Last edited:

ZehDon

6d73f5809eee71835de9a1667fd00b04--funny-memes-money.jpg

AREYOUOKAY?

I really don't get bringing in Nintendo into this discussion when it's about Playstation disc. That would be like if Nintendo or Xbox fans asked "Why can't the Vita play PSP UMD's?" and in return Sony fans respond with "OH YEAH WELL WHY CAN'T 3DS PLAY GAMEBOY CARTS?"

It's pointless, idiotic, and makes no sense.

Last edited:

nocsi

Blu ray lasers can read dvds and cds, it’s just a licensing issue. They might include ps3 chipset in the upcoming external drive. Otherwise just do aethersx with hd textures.

Crayon

What’s your setup? I’m thinking of getting a PS2 to replay King’s Field 4 but I know it’s going to look like hyper blurry on a 4K TV.

Basic. Retrotink 2x with some ps2 component cables. The filters aren't great but I still think the scanlines look good. I keep that I put set with the backlight and brightness blazing because half the lines are black. Blacks are bad like that but everything else looks nice and clean.

Crt is just too cumbersome. Sad. And collecting is way more fun when i actually get to play the games from the original disc on the original hardware so I prefer it to emulators.

DrCheese

First off, from a business perspective, there is no financial incentive for them to allow you to play games that you've already purchased, if anything there is a cost in doing so because they can't re-sell you the game digitally or induce you to pay for a subscription that might contain the game.

Hard disagree. A big reason I bought a series X was that even tho it had sod all games for it on release, I could replay my older Xbox games I hadn't touched since I owned an Xbox one. The BC in that being enhanced with things like FPS boost & 4k textures made it worthwhile.
BC on release of a new console whist you're waiting for games to appear for it are a big incentive. Means you're not stuck with no games whist the previous generation is still getting them.

Hard disagree. A big reason I bought a series X was that even tho it had sod all games for it on release, I could replay my older Xbox games I hadn't touched since I owned an Xbox one. The BC in that being enhanced with things like FPS boost & 4k textures made it worthwhile.
BC on release of a new console whist you're waiting for games to appear for it are a big incentive. Means you're not stuck with no games whist the previous generation is still getting them.
Don't you get all that on ps5 considering you're only talking about the previous generation, minus textures and fps with the pro versions being available.

Maybe you didn't hear me or understand me.

Note here you said Xbox One, you didn't say Xbox 360 or Xbox.

BC each generation gives diminishing returns and requires more constraints for engineering to stay in line with previous generations. There's a cost to everything. Systems with the same controllers as the previous system generally are going to be less innovative and risk-taking, which means the games are going to be more iterative. The same is true for overarching architecture.

The question posed here is whether should Sony allow PS2 BC on PS5, the answer is that is doesn't make a ton of sense even though a small number of people would appreciate that.

As for sticking with the ecosystem, ecosystems don't really last that long in an interactive AND continuous manner. People who bought a PS5 and a PS2 are Sony consumers, but not because they want to play their PS2 games on PS5, in the same state that they did when the PS2 came out. We're talking about 22 years and some pretty bad 3d gaming and pretty bad loading times.

If you look at the 50 best-selling PS2 games. I bet 80 percent of them have a modern successor, remake, remaster, or port, maybe with exceptions for licensed games like Lord of The Rings. Is anyone scrambling to play Dynasty Warriors 4 or Madden 2003?

Going further, we're mostly moving on from physical media for gaming, which is a huge boon for direct retail. This is where I think BC does come into play a bit more. Had the PS3 had more simple architecture, I think you'd see PS3 games running on PS4 and PS5., but even then I'd rather have a high-quality remaster/remake like Demon's Souls.

Banned
vince mcmahon wwe GIF

a modded PS4 can play hubdreds of PS2 games just fine, a modded (non backwards compatible) PS3 can play even more PS2 games apparently

they have a perfectly fine working Emulator, but that doesn't make money

screenshot_20220927_01wfzg.jpg

so their PS2 emulator on PS4 can play almost as many PS2 games in near perfect quality than there are backwards compatible games on Xbox One.

632 Xbox 360 games are compatible with Xbox One.
629 PS2 games are rated perfectly playable when using the PS4's PS2 Classics emulator on a modded PS4
edit: I forgot that the officially released ones aren't counted towards the playable list. so with officially released clasics we are at 683 perfectly playable games, that's now more than there are back compat 360 games on Xbox One

if we add the "minor issues" category we are at 862 playable games

so yeah, it's simply MONEY. allowing you to play PS2 games doesn't make them money

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nothing technically when it comes to DVD games, just money. They'd rather you subscribe to PS+++.

CDs the PS5 (like the PS4) literally can't read though, it doesn't have the laser for it, so those games are impossible for technical reasons.

Banned
Nothing technically when it comes to DVD games, just money. They'd rather you subscribe to PS+++.

CDs the PS5 (like the PS4) literally can't read though, it doesn't have the laser for it, so those games are impossible for technical reasons.

that's simply not true. they block CD playback due to licensing fees.

there's no Blu-ray drive on earth that doesn't have a laser capable of reading CDs

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Blu ray lasers can read dvds and cds, it’s just a licensing issue. They might include ps3 chipset in the upcoming external drive. Otherwise just do aethersx with hd textures.

that's simply not true. they block CD playback dur to licensing fees.

there's no Blu-ray drive on earth that doesn't have a laser capable of reading CDs

Incorrect. The blue laser used for reading BDs has a wavelength that's too far from the red one needed to read a CD, it literally cannot do it. Any player that reads all disc types has separate lasers for it.

P.Jack

Incorrect. The blue laser used for reading BDs has a wavelength that's too far from the red one needed to read a CD, it literally cannot do it. Any player that reads all disc types has separate lasers for it.
This is true but afaik any red laser used for DVDs can be used for CD playback aswell, so it’s also true they disabled CD playback on PS4/5.

Which pisses me off, especially since Series X can play CDs. PS3 stays winning I guess..

Banned

show me a blueray drive model on the market today that can not read CDs.

I only know of SUUUPER early drives on PC that had no IR diode. so Sony would have to go out of their way to produce special drives only for their consoles that noone else uses in order for them having a drive that isn't capable of reading CDs.

that would most likely be super cost inefficient as they could simply source one of many mass produced models.

is the model of Bluray drive the PS5 uses known?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is true but afaik any red laser used for DVDs can be used for CD playback aswell, so it’s also true they disabled CD playback on PS4/5.

Which pisses me off, especially since Series X can play CDs. PS3 stays winning I guess..

show me a blueray drive model on the market today that can not read CDs.

I only know of SUUUPER early drives on PC that had no IR diode and usually the DVD laser can read CDs too. so Sony would have to go out of their way to produce special drives only for their consoles that noone else uses in order for them having a drive that isn't capable of reading CDs.

that would most likely be super cost inefficient as they could simply source one of many mass produced models.

is the model of Bluray drive the PS5 uses known?

Alright, maybe you guys are right. I was sure the drive they use literally can't read CDs, but maybe they're just dumbasses then.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why do you expect a company to devote resources to develop an emulator to play PS2 discs on the PS5? Are you that fucking entitled that you think Sony should spend 10s of thousands of dollars on this project for the handful of people like you that have PS2 disc games? It's not just slapping an emulator on there, it is designing the UI, QA testing, security testing, etc. Also who would even want to work on that project? People like to see their efforts being used. How many people would use this?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nothing preventing you from doing that. Sony doesn’t care about BC as it adds nothing business and in their opinion it is a negative as they want to sell you remasters.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Nothing, you can put them in perfectly fine, the games just won't work.
Serious answer: it takes money to create an emulator and they would much rather sell you a upscaled "remaster".
That emulator has existed since before the PS5. They made it for the PS4 and it's compatible with PS5.

They're not letting you use your discs because they want to make you pay for your games again.

Top Bottom