• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what will be Nintendo's new gimmick for the successor to the Switch?

TLZ

Banned
I said this before and I'll say it again: it will connect to your TV wirelessly so you won't need a dock, only a dongle connected to your TV's HDMI port. It will be the ultimate Wii U. Mark my words.
But what's the point? If you're not using it and playing on TV, might as well dock it somewhere and let it charge.

There’s withered … and then there’s dead.

AR is deader than VR or even 3D TVs.

Ninty would be brave to go that way, but then again the Wii U was a flop too so maybe they’ll try it, get a harsh lesson and kill it off early.

Pikmin Bloom, Pokemon Go, and Mario Kart Live. Nintendo is already using AR right now. (and their R&D teams probably have a cardboard Nintendo Swtich with a camera oddly connected to it working on AR)

The fact that AR is dead (if that is true) then it would be the best reason to consider AR as a gimmick.

Seriously, if Switch Pro doesn't have a camera built into it i'd be very surprised

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Honestly, why don't they take Microsoft's approach? Make a cheaper lower-end console that appeals to the same mass casual market as the first Switch, and a more expensive and powerful platform capable of 4K@30fps/1440p@60fps or whatever.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I swear I read about the "Nintendo Cycle" somewhere ... but the pattern of Nintendo is: 1) Innovation then 2) Upgrade

NES - made an impact on what console gaming is all about
SNES - take the best parts of NES (games) and make them better with 16 bit

N64 - Step into the world of 3d - add stuff like rumble and 4 players, analog sticks etc.
Gamecube - more of the same, but better graphics

Wii - of course motion controls
WiiU - more of the same although admittedly the WiiU didn't do a good job of this

Switch - the merge between handheld and consoles
Switch2 - the upgrade of whatever Switch 2 is good at. Just have backwards compatibility, produce sequels and HD remakes of popular games, profit.

As much as it'd be cool to see something innovative, Nintendo is still sitting in money so they can just produce a Pro-switch and they'll be sitting pretty until the next thing they come up with.

Switch was the upgrade to Wii U. Same concept, but eliminate the wires and the “console” box is now inside the handheld part of the system.

Last edited:
Shit graphics and performance

It better be a Switch 2. Console that you can take on the go is the best. I’m tired of my switch because it’s so underpowered compared to the Deck. I hope they stick with this formula. Just make it more powerful.

Nintendo get back into the power race.

Switch 2 has the power of a 3070 with a 12inch, 4K OLED display. Also comes with a 2TB SSD.

That's the dream.

Don't fuck it Nintendo. Same shit better screen and power.

Honestly, why don't they take Microsoft's approach? Make a cheaper lower-end console that appeals to the same mass casual market as the first Switch, and a more expensive and powerful platform capable of 4K@30fps/1440p@60fps or whatever.

More powerful is definitely needed, but lets not confuse power with High end when it comes to Nintendo.

TLZ

Banned
I'd honestly prefer they have both a dedicated portable and a powerful console. Both play the same cartridge. Having 2 dedicated systems at their best is better than a jack of all trades system. Yes I know the Switch is selling well, but Nintendo portables always do. And this won't change with the new dedicated portable.

The difference is the console crowd will get their proper machine and graphics, not hampered by handheld hardware. Also means the software will get their proper attention. Good res and performance. And the portable crowd will get their proper portable, an actual portable and not the big hefty tablet we have now. Something more like the Switch Lite.

The key here is both play the same cartridge. No separate media. Take the cart out of the console and put it in the portable, and vice versa. Easy. Also there should be no save data worries since we have cloud saves syncing now.

As for the gimmick, I don't know what crazy Nintendo does. But imo, they shouldn't do this every time. They put themselves in a predicament because of this, making people expect a new gimmick every gen.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

"And now we'd like to show you just some of the fantastic new games that take advantage of the Switch 2's Glory Hole™."
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ibG9nY2RuLmNvbS93d3cuZW5nYWRnZXQuY29tL21lZGlhLzIwMDkvMDYvZTMtMjAwOS1uaW50LWtleW5vdGUtbmludHktZTMwOS1rZXlub3RlLTA2NDgtcm0tZW5nLXJtLWVuZy5qcGc=

don't give them ideas....

mcjmetroid

Wow, amazing...

My only hope is that they will ditch this stupid setup and go with 100% home console or 100% handheld. Or two consoles. But they won't do this. They are going to make a lazy iteration with BC and call it a day.
I really doubt it....

Even if you're the most cynical gamer in the world they will most certainly have try to have some hook to it.

Even the switch iterations have had a basic selling point that could be explained in a few words. Handheld only/Cheaper for Switch Lite..... OLED screen for Switch OLED. Granted the last one is a hard sell only to the most hardcore of Switch gamers.

A more powerful Switch 2 that can play Switch 1 games isn't enough. It will have........something, Now it could have a failure like the 3DS 3D gimmick or WiiU's..... I dunno tablet gimmick or a success like motion control and hybrid console.

I want Nintendo to surprise me! So I'm content with not knowing yet what that may be....the gimmick icing on top of the Nintendo console successor cake! :] Great games will be enough for me, but that extra special something will elevate the successor system for sure

ikbalCO

No more gimmicks please.

Just better hardware and better built quality.

1080p/60 fps with mid quality is more than enough for nintendo so this shouldnt be that hard.

Also, oled across the board cuz the current oled model makes zero sense since its is the least portable of the bunch.

mcjmetroid

I don't really see anything about the Switch that is a "gimmick". Innovative is more like it.
“Gimmick” implies a feature that isn’t particularly interesting and that no one really uses. What is the gimmick in the Switch?
Well it only becomes a gimmick when it gets dropped. The 3D in the 3DS COULD have been an innovation but it didn't turn out that way and was dropped so is largely at the gimmick level.

Motion controls could have easily have been a gimmick and the hybrid concept as well if things didnt work out well.

Knightime_X

Every game will be 4k 120fps.

But they're all cloud games and image quality will greatly depend on your isp connection.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Once you realize Nintendo's philosophy, it becomes easier to understand where...what gimmick...they will use next.

Withered Technology has three strict laws:
  1. Wait until the tech is cheap.
  2. Wait until the tech is understandable (easy to develop on / for)
  3. Avoid Cutting edge tech.

I feel AR tech has become Withered. Local, Multiplayer AR.
The thing is Nintendo hardly ever does this. Developers struggled with the motion controls (which were pretty cutting edge tech at the time) of the Wii the entire generation. No-one knew what to do with the Wii-U, not even maybe Nintendo. The Switch is the closest they have come to using simple off the shelf tech but after the Wii U who can blame them.

SaintALia

Pikmin Bloom, Pokemon Go, and Mario Kart Live. Nintendo is already using AR right now. (and their R&D teams probably have a cardboard Nintendo Swtich with a camera oddly connected to it working on AR)

The fact that AR is dead (if that is true) then it would be the best reason to consider AR as a gimmick.

Seriously, if Switch Pro doesn't have a camera built into it i'd be very surprised
Just because they did some projects based mostly on collaborations, doesn't mean they're going to base their next system on it though.

But yeah, their 'next gimmick' could be anything. They sit on a lot of patents and aren't afraid(for the most part) to build their entire console based on 'unorthodox' ideas(aka gimmicks). Not to mention they are constantly adding to their patents, and we might not even know what the new gimmick even is until maybe a couple months out through patent leaks.

Power wise, I expect Nvidia to deliver...enough. They don't need to reach Series S or even PS4 Pro levels, if they do have that upscaler, combined with their own software upscaling that they've been using. But maybe that's too optimistic, but I do expect whatever system they release to punch above it's weight.

Not gonna lie though, I am looking forward to whatever gimmick they have. I have a PC which I mainly game on, so the other consoles bore me for the most part, they don't even have the exotic architecture they once had either, so at least there's someone in the space doing something interesting, even if they might fall flat on their face in the attempt.

So swing for the fences Nintendo.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

I have no idea, so I asked OpenAI:

The Nintendo Puu is the latest console to hit the market and is the successor to the wildly popular Nintendo Switch. This new console is sure to be a hit with gamers of all ages due to its innovative new gimmick.

One of the standout features of the Nintendo Puu is its ability to transform into different shapes and sizes. This is achieved through the use of a series of movable panels and hinges that allow the console to transform into a variety of different configurations. Whether you want to play on the go with a handheld device or set it up as a traditional console, the Nintendo Puu has you covered.

Another exciting feature of the Nintendo Puu is its ability to connect to other devices through the use of NFC technology. This means that you can connect your smartphone or tablet to the console and use it as a controller or even play games on your mobile device using the Nintendo Puu as a home console.

The Nintendo Puu is also home to a wide range of exclusive games that are sure to keep you entertained for hours on end. From classic franchises like Mario and Zelda to new and exciting IPs, there is something for everyone on the Nintendo Puu.

In addition to its impressive hardware and software lineup, the Nintendo Puu also boasts a number of online features that allow you to connect with other players around the world. Whether you want to compete in online tournaments or team up with friends in co-op games, the Nintendo Puu has you covered.

Overall, the Nintendo Puu is an exciting new console that is sure to be a hit with gamers of all ages. With its innovative shape-shifting design, NFC connectivity, and impressive lineup of games, it is a must-have for any Nintendo fan.
Puu LOL I love it!

Kataploom

Gold Member
A new fully functional eShop could be awesome for starter lol but as I said in another thread, it wouldn't be rate for Nintendo to have great raytracing performance considering they're using Nvidia it that they release a "RT version" later... But a of now, Nintendo should keep same base functionalities and just let the games put the gimmick or revolutionate the gameplay as they do on Ring Fit or Labo

John Bilbo

I have no idea, so I asked OpenAI:

The Nintendo Puu is the latest console to hit the market and is the successor to the wildly popular Nintendo Switch. This new console is sure to be a hit with gamers of all ages due to its innovative new gimmick.

One of the standout features of the Nintendo Puu is its ability to transform into different shapes and sizes. This is achieved through the use of a series of movable panels and hinges that allow the console to transform into a variety of different configurations. Whether you want to play on the go with a handheld device or set it up as a traditional console, the Nintendo Puu has you covered.

Another exciting feature of the Nintendo Puu is its ability to connect to other devices through the use of NFC technology. This means that you can connect your smartphone or tablet to the console and use it as a controller or even play games on your mobile device using the Nintendo Puu as a home console.

The Nintendo Puu is also home to a wide range of exclusive games that are sure to keep you entertained for hours on end. From classic franchises like Mario and Zelda to new and exciting IPs, there is something for everyone on the Nintendo Puu.

In addition to its impressive hardware and software lineup, the Nintendo Puu also boasts a number of online features that allow you to connect with other players around the world. Whether you want to compete in online tournaments or team up with friends in co-op games, the Nintendo Puu has you covered.

Overall, the Nintendo Puu is an exciting new console that is sure to be a hit with gamers of all ages. With its innovative shape-shifting design, NFC connectivity, and impressive lineup of games, it is a must-have for any Nintendo fan.
This is the one.

I don't think Nintendo has to rock the boat a lot with Switch 2. Keep the successful hybrid home console/portable design, and just update the hardware to a more modern SoC.

EDMIX

My only hope is that they will ditch this stupid setup and go with 100% home console or 100% handheld.

yea no to all of this lol

Are you insane?

Wii U vs 3DS proved that majority of that community is on handheld and as someone that loves playing on a big screen....I'd rather they stick to the whole portable with a HDMI out. I don't want to get fucking shafted and get no content and have it flop like Wii U. I want to play on the big screen and I 100% know I'm the lessor, I know most who likely wish to play this way by no means are the majority, thus I'd rather they continue the way they are.

I just don't see what any benefit would be for them to ever do a "100% home console" as they won't do shit with that power, the massive base of fans will avoid it and just get the portable causing it to fail and.....I don't want to go thru all of that just to play on a fucking screen man. Even with "morez pOwErZ" I don't buy they'll do much with it to really risk it for those of us who want to play on a big screen. If they go 100% anything, I doubt it would be console so I'm clinging on to that HDMI out as long as I can lol I even worry about that Switch Lite sales as many Nintendo the second time around doesn't feel its even worth it to include some HDMI out, those sales may have been good enough for them to even just move on. (I hope not though)

Regardless. Switch 2 should be HDMI Out Portable by default.

More powerful then Switch 1 sure, that is a given.
2 SD slots would be nice, would be fucking awesome if it supported M.2, but i'm being greedy here lol
4K support
BC to Switch 1

I stated what I would have liked personally.
I mean sure but, I'd personally like to still have big screen support. I just don't see a 100% only console doing well by them so long as they have a handheld. That is the core base and I fear the low sales might get them to permanently ignore that install base and just have a handheld. DS and 3DS move monster units with zero support by Nintendo to play on a big screen....

Nintendo doesn't NEED to have it outing to a screen to move monster units, so I personally like playing that way too man, I like it enough to concede its not the majority and maybe its a good idea to have all their games on 1 device and allow us to have that HDMI and not get left behind.

Learn from Wii U. Don’t screw this up. Switch 2. A more powerful, better designed console. Keep it simple.

Agreed.

I think they need to build long term trust and maybe Switch 2 simply being a more powerful Switch is what is needed right now.

Well it only becomes a gimmick when it gets dropped. The 3D in the 3DS COULD have been an innovation but it didn't turn out that way and was dropped so is largely at the gimmick level.

Motion controls could have easily have been a gimmick and the hybrid concept as well if things didnt work out well.
Exactly my point. If people are asking if Nintendo will put something in the next Switch successor that will be barely used at all after launch, like the camera sensor in the right Right Joycon, then yes. They will always throw in a couple easy/ cost-effective gimmicks in the hope something might catch on. But don’t want to confuse that with the core concept of the platform, which will need to be something close to what they have now, a handheld/ hybrid console. That you can take with you on the go, or play at home.

Last edited:
I'm not asking for new gimmicks this time around. All I want is much more powerful hardware and more solid controllers than the joycons we have now. The analog sticks feel flimsy and having a dpad be separate buttons isn't nice in my hands.

HYDE

Banned
I said this before and I'll say it again: it will connect to your TV wirelessly so you won't need a dock, only a dongle connected to your TV's HDMI port. It will be the ultimate Wii U. Mark my words.
I would fucking hope so

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think the best thing they can do is release Switch 2 with a camera, and a phone version of that with 5g.

Keep the concept simple, that's what hurt the WiiU it was waaaayy too much to explain and wasn't actually worth it.

Zannegan

I'm kind of hoping for a straight upgrade to the console with the gimmick coming the form of a heavily advertised add-on. Think a $150 VR headset that plugs into the USB-C port and come packed with a backpack (front pack?) holder for the Switch 2 itself. It would at least force better tracking for the Joycon 2.0.

Barring that, larger Joycon with an analogue stick at one end and a touchpad on the other.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Sorry to do another post in a short span, but thinking about it more, maybe they'll do a Switch with a screen that folds, which will give it a lot of versatility in play styles.

- Folded screen for portability
- Unfolded when you're in bed or something= bigger screen
- Place it half open on a table so you have two screens on each side, so two people can play together and see different screens (local multiplayer)
- Docked for big screen TV

This keeps the concept simple to understand but still innovative and using new tech, like the 3D but actually useful.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Nintendo 64 and Game Cube; "home Consoles" started a downward trend for Nintendo.

Yes, Wii was an outlier. Nintendo couldn't replicatet that success with the WiiU, in fact; such console just confirmed Nintendo wasn't in the game of the "home console" anymore.

With the switch, Nintendo had to merge their two SKUs (home and handheld) in one. Is that good or bad?

So....people say that Nintendo is very original and creative, always different.

Well....as an outsider from Nintendo culture/market.

I think Nintendo has a direct competition in the form factor with the steam deck and the like.

And I think smartphones are competing with Nintendo in this space. Maybe is not obvious in United States but children over here use their smart phones for gaming. (the adults are the ones buying the switch) for themselves). IPs like Roblox, Minecraft, Five Nights at fredy's, Free Fire are far more popular than Mario with children around 7-10 years old.

What I mean with all of this, is:

Just a more powerful switch (but not in the same league as Steam Deck) will be enough?. This seems like the safest move forward.....Does Nintendo plays safe? A move like this will be "boring"?

Or trying something different like a "switchU" in order to differentiate itself from the steams decks of world or/and to offer a new kind of experience will be their next step?

I can not even imagine what kind of NEW form factor or gimmick Nintendo could try. (I could see implementing old gimmicks tho).

The thing is Nintendo hardly ever does this. Developers struggled with the motion controls (which were pretty cutting edge tech at the time) of the Wii the entire generation. No-one knew what to do with the Wii-U, not even maybe Nintendo. The Switch is the closest they have come to using simple off the shelf tech but after the Wii U who can blame them.
3rd party struggles with motion controls; Nintendo 1st and 2nd party dev dominated with motion controls. I'd says more than Playstation Move.

The problem with the Wii U was timing. The tablet market was over-saturated. The Switch works right now because the tablet market isn't as saturated with low to mid-spec tablets as when the Wii U was released.

Just because they did some projects based mostly on collaborations, doesn't mean they're going to base their next system on it though.

But yeah, their 'next gimmick' could be anything. They sit on a lot of patents and aren't afraid(for the most part) to build their entire console based on 'unorthodox' ideas(aka gimmicks). Not to mention they are constantly adding to their patents, and we might not even know what the new gimmick even is until maybe a couple months out through patent leaks.

Power wise, I expect Nvidia to deliver...enough. They don't need to reach Series S or even PS4 Pro levels, if they do have that upscaler, combined with their own software upscaling that they've been using. But maybe that's too optimistic, but I do expect whatever system they release to punch above it's weight.

Not gonna lie though, I am looking forward to whatever gimmick they have. I have a PC which I mainly game on, so the other consoles bore me for the most part, they don't even have the exotic architecture they once had either, so at least there's someone in the space doing something interesting, even if they might fall flat on their face in the attempt.

So swing for the fences Nintendo.

With the same sentiment, you can't rule out they wouldn't base their next system on AR. All three projects i mention still have a good user base, and they could in fact, want to continue those same collaborations on better hardware,

Last edited:

MAtgS

If it were up to me, it would be a DS/Wii U hybrid.

Handheld mode: 2 screens like a DS.
Docked: Top screen detaches and socks. Bottom screen now acts as a controller.

It maintains the hybrid parity between handheld and console functions while bringing back the classic functionality of the DS.

Also circle pads instead of joycons because they don't drift.

MrMephistoX

It better be a Switch 2. Console that you can take on the go is the best. I’m tired of my switch because it’s so underpowered compared to the Deck. I hope they stick with this formula. Just make it more powerful.
I don’t think they can go back to separate home and portable consoles anymore it would be suicide for the home console and they’ve cannibalized the portable market. I’m sure they’ll find some cool gimmick but is going to be a switch 2. I just hope it’s more powerful than the deck at least becsuse this thing constantly surprises me but the form factor is giving me carpal tunnel so I’d welcome superior Nintendo hardware.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If it were up to me, it would be a DS/Wii U hybrid.

Handheld mode: 2 screens like a DS.
Docked: Top screen detaches and socks. Bottom screen now acts as a controller.

It maintains the hybrid parity between handheld and console functions while bringing back the classic functionality of the DS.

Also circle pads instead of joycons because they don't drift.
Not only that, if you were willing to duplicate the controls on each screen the full set of controls (shoulder buttons would be a bit of a problem, but they can do something like what they did for the Joycons for one of the screens) you could also share the console on the go and play with friends (so you have the three modes you can “switch” into).

The hinge could be a concern but if it is designed to allow a screen to attach and detach (think about the joycons) I think it could work without breaking.
The Lite model could remove the second set of controls and the possibility of detaching the other screen.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It'll have a card scanner. Buy new Nintendo cards and unlock new characters, outfits and items in your favourite games. Also makes credit card payments a breeze.

cireza

Banned
yea no to all of this lol

Are you insane?

Wii U vs 3DS proved that majority of that community is on handheld and as someone that loves playing on a big screen....I'd rather they stick to the whole portable with a HDMI out. I don't want to get fucking shafted and get no content and have it flop like Wii U. I want to play on the big screen and I 100% know I'm the lessor, I know most who likely wish to play this way by no means are the majority, thus I'd rather they continue the way they are.

I just don't see what any benefit would be for them to ever do a "100% home console" as they won't do shit with that power, the massive base of fans will avoid it and just get the portable causing it to fail and.....I don't want to go thru all of that just to play on a fucking screen man. Even with "morez pOwErZ" I don't buy they'll do much with it to really risk it for those of us who want to play on a big screen. If they go 100% anything, I doubt it would be console so I'm clinging on to that HDMI out as long as I can lol I even worry about that Switch Lite sales as many Nintendo the second time around doesn't feel its even worth it to include some HDMI out, those sales may have been good enough for them to even just move on. (I hope not though)

Regardless. Switch 2 should be HDMI Out Portable by default.

More powerful then Switch 1 sure, that is a given.
2 SD slots would be nice, would be fucking awesome if it supported M.2, but i'm being greedy here lol
4K support
BC to Switch 1

I mean sure but, I'd personally like to still have big screen support. I just don't see a 100% only console doing well by them so long as they have a handheld. That is the core base and I fear the low sales might get them to permanently ignore that install base and just have a handheld. DS and 3DS move monster units with zero support by Nintendo to play on a big screen....

Nintendo doesn't NEED to have it outing to a screen to move monster units, so I personally like playing that way too man, I like it enough to concede its not the majority and maybe its a good idea to have all their games on 1 device and allow us to have that HDMI and not get left behind.

Agreed.

I think they need to build long term trust and maybe Switch 2 simply being a more powerful Switch is what is needed right now.
Anything that is meant to be displayed on TV will lead to a shit handheld experience with visuals and interface not optimized for it.

I am tired of looking at ridiculously tiny visuals on the Switch Lite screen. Either make a 100% handheld console and have "big" visuals and interface, or make 100% TV console.

But don't pretend that throwing on the tiny screen a picture made for a TV makes it handheld. It doesn't.

Top Bottom