• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what other open world games have I been missing out on?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Of course, I have played a lot of the more popular ones like Grant Theft Auto, Batman, Fallout, The Witcher, and Assassin's Creed. But it's not like I go out of my way to play EVERY open world game, mainly because of how much of a time sink they can be. I usually prefer to stick to more linear or compact experiences. Even when it comes to huge franchises like Assassin's Creed, I only bothered to catch up on those games during the pandemic just because I had nothing better to do with my free time, and I stopped playing this series after AC2.

But anyway, what prompted this thread is the fact that I just picked up Middle-Earth: Shadow of War the other day, and I'm kinda blown away by it. I can't believe that I skipped on this one because it's frankly an amazing game so far. One of the first things that happened to me when roaming the first open area of the game was getting ambushed by this bard-like orc dude who first sang me a ballad about how he's gonna kill my ass and then of course he did it because I was laughing so hard that I couldn't focus on the fight. And then a few missions later I learned how to mount some giant demon-dog and this awesome music kicked in while I proceeded to rip those fucking idiots apart and it was so awesome I could barely contain my erection.

So anyway, I was wondering if there are any other action-adventure type of open world games like this that I may have missed out on in the last decade or so, because I would definitely want to catch up on those. Maybe skip on the more hardcore role-playing games because usually I find the open world in those kinds of games really dull to explore, on the account that your character movement is usually very restricted and you can't even climb shit or anything.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. If you recommend Forspoken then kindly delete your account.

Drizzlehell

Banned
nah-man.gif

It's a good FPS as long as you stick to the story but the open world in this game is utter shite.

How can you not he sick of them yet? Especially, if you've played a lot of the Ubisoft ones.

Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild are the best open-worlds. Witcher 3 is the best of the "here's 1000 markers of 5 different types, get to work" games - which is most open-world games. Hogwarts Legacy is the latest and is alright.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Cyberpunk if on X or PS5. But Kingdomcome Deliverance was just fantastic last gen. A great story with talented voice acting. Gameplay is a little unforgiving so you need to practice with your weapons. You won't be disappointed.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think a lot of people would suggest Ghost of Tsushima, so I'll mention it, even though I found it to be quite forgettable.

Sleeping Dogs is a cult-favorite. I believe it had a recent remaster, but I could be misremembering.

Infamous 2 was a lot of fun, if you have access to that. I love the open-world there because the enemies actually utilized it, by chasing you around buildings and such. All too rare in open-world games.

Drizzlehell

Banned
But Kingdomcome Deliverance was just fantastic last gen. A great story with talented voice acting. Gameplay is a little unforgiving so you need to practice with your weapons. You won't be disappointed.
Hmm, that does look like a very hardcore-like RPG but the premise sound very interesting. Am seeing this right? It's like an medieval RPG but more like a historical one, without any fantasy elements? Because if so then hell yeah, I'm sold.

T4keD0wN

nah-man.gif

It's a good FPS as long as you stick to the story but the open world in this game is utter shite.
Cyberpunk open world sucks only if you dont use any gameplay mods.

Mad max, Just Cause, Prototype 2, Immortals fenyx rising (only good ubisoft open world game lately), Mafia 2 & Mafia 1 DE, Sleeping Dogs (really good as someone has said before) and Piranha Bytes games are some good out of the lesser known ones with decent "movement options".

Last edited:

intbal

Elex (1, not 2)

If you never played Kingdoms of Amalur, then the remaster (Re-Reckoning) would be a good choice. It's definitely action-adventure. The RPG elements are very light.

Havoc2049

Hmm, that does look like a very hardcore-like RPG but the premise sound very interesting. Am seeing this right? It's like an medieval RPG but more like a historical one, without any fantasy elements? Because if so then hell yeah, I'm sold.
Get it! Kingdom Come Deliverance Royal Edition is a great game. The Royal Edition has all the DLC and latest updates.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you want to play the best Assassins Creed game, it is named Ghost of Tsushima

Edit: I’ll recommend two that are different and unique which is sadly rare in this genre: LA Noire and Death Stranding

Last edited:

poodaddy

Breath of the Wild
Sleeping Dogs
Sunset Overdrive
Marvel's Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption 2
Witcher 3
Elden Ring
Cyberpunk
Arkham City

In no order really. In my opinion, these are the best open world games ever made, and beyond open world, they're also all just fantastic games in general.

Honorable mention for Hover. Really fun world to explore, interesting game play mechanics and pretty decent music. Definitely a nice ode to Jet Set Radio.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Sleeping Dogs and Mad Max are pretty underrated.
Ah yes, I actually 100%'ed Mad Max back when it came out because I was still hyped up about the movie. Not exactly the "Fury Road gaming experience" that I was expecting (though it had its moments) but I appreciated how spot on it was when it came to recreating the opening act of The Road Warrior, i.e. wandering the wasteland and scavenging shit while fighting off random bandits. Great game, definitely underrated as you say.

nemiroff

Gold Member
No fantasy or magic whatsoever, but a helluva lot of alcohol and mushrooms. It's a grounded game, but still more interesting to me than most other "fantastical" games.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

You didn't list platforms you have.

Breath of the wild is definitely worth a go
Skyrim for definite if you never played it
Cyberpunk is enjoyable now too

Lunarorbit

Played the first yakuza game and it's awesome. Those are semi open worlds and there's so much to do.

Haven't played mad max in awhile but the car combat was great on that. GOT also especially if your interested in the jedi sequel cause of the different stances Jin in GOT can do

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
nah-man.gif

Its not. Its a huge open world that contains multiple immersive sim like areas that you can tackle in any way you can. How in the fuck is that shite compared to almost all open world games that lack verticality and the freedom, cyberpunk offers? Were you blind playing the game?

show me any other open world that allows you to pull this kind of shit:

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Its not. Its a huge open world that contains multiple immersive sim like areas that you can tackle in any way you can. How in the fuck is that shite compared to almost all open world games that lack verticality and the freedom, cyberpunk offers? Were you blind playing the game?

show me any other open world that allows you to pull this kind of shit:

That's basically just a showcase of possible character builds, which isn't the problem here. The problem is that the world itself is boring and there's nothing to do in it except murdering small groups of bandits that don't even wander around the map and are just clustered in those tiny arenas where the murdering activity is taking place.

Yawn.

They don't even give you a meaty challenge in those pitiful combat encounters because usually, you'll just fight a small group of 5-10 dudes who will either duck behind cover or rush at you with blades, and dispatching them feels like a chore after a while. It's extremely repetitive too. Kill a group of bandits, and loot a container. Rinse and repeat. There's nothing to spice it up other than trying to kill them with a different toy. You'll never be thrown off guard by an unexpected group of reinforcements, you'll never be forced to switch tactics because of a harder enemy or some special attack that you didn't anticipate.

IT'S SO BORING.

Honestly, if the story missions weren't so good I would outright hate this game.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
and there's nothing to do in it except murdering small groups of bandits

So just like any other game? lmfao. What did you expect my guy/ To teleport in Night City with your own body and fuck all the hot women/men, have a life in it? get a job in it? It has nothing less than any other game. It's not a life sim. What a fucking NPC take.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
So just like any other game? lmfao. What did you expect my guy/ To teleport in Night City with your own body and fuck all the hot women/men, have a life in it? get a job in it? It has nothing less than any other game. It's not a life sim. What a fucking NPC take.
Read what I wrote about the combat. And add to it the fact that there are literally no other activities in the game other than this boring ass combat.

At least games like Shadow of War feel like an actual sandbox where anything can happen when you wander around the map and get into fights, and the nemesis system is a great way to keep the Orc slaughter from getting stale as well.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Except, you know, the hundred+ narrative quests ffs
They don't really utilize the open world that they are set in at all. You could've structured the game to pick each of those quests from a menu screen, or at least narrow things down to a more compact map like in Deus Ex games and it wouldn't change a thing because the open world isn't a sandbox. It's just set dressing for those linear story quests. The key ingredients that make the sandbox game a sandbox game are completely absent here.

Last edited:

Denton

They don't really utilize the open world that they are set in at all. You could've structured the game to pick each of those quests from a menu screen, or at least narrow things down to a more compact map like in Deus Ex games and it wouldn't change a thing because the open world isn't a sandbox. It's just set dressing for those linear story quests. The key ingredients that make the sandbox game a sandbox game are completely absent here.
Because it's not a sandbox game and was never supposed to be. It's a narrative driven RPG. The city exists to provide extra immersion in between quests, and to offer wide variety of locations for quests to take place in.

As far as I am concerned, it is still much more interesting game than any sandbox GTA. I don't need tennis and bowling minigames when I have interesting well written quests and branching story.

Top Bottom