• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what happened to that #FucKonami movement?

I still remember years ago people were having some movement over boycotting Konami because they fired Hideo Kojima. They swear they will never buy another Konami products again or something.
But it seems to have entirely disappear now. Konami / Silent Hill threads no longer have any FucKonami post at all, despite the sentiment that they no longer make any good games and has went all Pachinko in Konami profit threads
Konami did nothing wrong and kojima rinsed them with every cent they had, once this was found out it ended

STARSBarry

Gold Member
For all the talks of "duhr duhr Konami is only in the Pachinko business these days", Konami was actually the second biggest third-party publisher in Japan during 2021 and biggest one during 2020 (in term of annual physical software sold).
Mostly on the back of old Hudson Soft IPs and baseball games.
It had a surge since the low in 2017, particularly due to them exploiting well the chances offered by the Switch.

(credits to Hiska-kun on IistallBaseForum for the image)
2022-04-21-22-16-36.jpg

As far as I know circumstances essentially forced them to course correct.

It really started to come down hard ahead of the Tokyo Olympics in... you guessed it 2020, although that was of course delayed to 2021. This is ironically being helped by gambling lobbyists that want Pachinko out so they can move in with more traditional but regulated gambling, Vegas style.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In a football obsessed nation like the UK, boycotting Konami - the Godzilla maker of footy sims, even their efootball 2022 is world's better than the competition despite being a far cry from PES 2021 - isn't an option.

Yeah from Banjo64 Banjo64 , a fucking noisy neighbor, I understood that eFootball is doing well over there. Here FIFA fanboys are running around laughing at its glitch compilations.

Well Konami has about 4 banger franchises and they appear to not want to leave money on the table so they are bringing them back…

Scotty W

Ah yes Konami
How is the Pachinko business these days?
Funny you should ask:

“ Konami Holdings Corporation (soon to be Konami Group Corporation, by the way) has recorded its most profitable year ever in its financial results for FY2022. Its operating income has risen from 36.6 billion yen in FY2021 to 74.4 billion yen, marking a 103.6% increase. The overall profit increase after taxes yielded a 69.9% increase YoY.
When split into its core business sectors, Konami recorded its biggest profit increase within the 'Gaming & Systems' sector, recording 25.6 billion yen in revenue, up 54% from the previous year. 'Digital Entertainment' remains the biggest revenue sponge for the company, bringing in an impressive 215 billion yen for the year, an increase of 5.3%.”

Celine

Digital Entertainment is the division in which falls console games, mobile games and card games and it's by far the biggest contributor to Konami's bottom line.

iqdqFro.jpg

Last edited:

cireza

I don't think they did the shooting one.

Also is there a way to get rid of the slowdown from the GB Castlevania games? Looked couldn't find anything.
I know that I have Castlevania, Castlevania Advance and Contra from them on Xbox.

As for the GB Castlevania game, I don't about the sequels, but I do know that the first one had huge slowdowns on the real console, so unless there is an option to overclock the emulator, I don't that it is possible.

They did put such an option for GG Aleste 3 though. But this is a Shot Triggers release.

anthony2690

Banned
So it was Kojima that cancelled PT and out of spite removed it from the PS store to make it inaccessible? It was Kojima that whored out its IPs for Pakchno including Silent Hill? It was Kojima that released Metal Gear Survive and CHARGED for extra save files?

GTFO here with that trash.
I always find it funny when people moan about pachinko machines, it's a market that Konami is in, why shouldn't they use their ips in a market they are in to make money? :S
Loads of popular Japanese ips have pachinko machines...
Next you'll moan that they have sports clubs :')

& PT was honestly nothing special & very quickly massively exceeded by RE7/8. (I feel like people lose their god damn minds as their Messiah Kojima was attached too it)

& Silent hill fans are so desperate for a good game they go crazy, has there even been a good silent hill game since the first 3? The rest of them are very bad to average.

& I don't even care what they did for survive as I didn't play it or pick it up, so no reason to be outraged over a game I didn't ever care for, why are you even outraged?! (Being outraged for the sake of it, is major era vibes) :p

Plus if Konami come and deliver the fans an excellent silent hill game in the future that makes fans happy, are you going to still be "fuck Konami" for what they did or didn't do in the past? Or will you enjoy the game?

Kojima isn't going to sleep with you.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I always find it funny when people moan about pachinko machines, it's a market that Konami is in, why shouldn't they use their ips in a market they are in to make money? :S
Loads of popular Japanese ips have pachinko machines...
Next you'll moan that they have sports clubs :')

& PT was honestly nothing special & very quickly massively exceeded by RE7/8. (I feel like people lose their god damn minds as their Messiah Kojima was attached too it)

& Silent hill fans are so desperate for a good game they go crazy, has there even been a good silent hill game since the first 3? The rest of them are very bad to average.

& I don't even care what they did for survive as I didn't play it or pick it up, so no reason to be outraged over a game I didn't ever care for, why are you even outraged?! (Being outraged for the sake of it, is major era vibes) :p

Plus if Konami come and deliver the fans an excellent silent hill game in the future that makes fans happy, are you going to still be "fuck Konami" for what they did or didn't do in the past? Or will you enjoy the game?

Kojima isn't going to sleep with you.

So many bad takes with this post. Crazy.

And yes HE WILL GODDAMMNIT.

PaintTinJr

Yeah from Banjo64 Banjo64 , a fucking noisy neighbor, I understood that eFootball is doing well over there. Here FIFA fanboys are running around laughing at its glitch compilations.
It is quite telling that a hot take on CGI - not gameplay - glitches is always primed and ready to go on day one of a PES launch like a virus e-bomb Die Hard 4.0 style :pie_thinking: It feels almost like because the footy game market is worth billions someone's put a few quid into espionage to collect those glitches direct from Konami's QA and then shill those glitches on gaming forums - every single year.

Konami that sent Kojima's staff to clean toilets in gyms allegedly, and demanding MTX in PES deserve nothing but bad karma IMO, but the people making PES the footy sim it is deserve far more success than they get. If FIFA fans care about CGI glitches in eFootball 2022 too, it is no wonder they are playing Fifa where the gameplay is shallower but the CGI has fewer glitches.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It is quite telling that a hot take on CGI - not gameplay - glitches is always primed and ready to go on day one of a PES launch like a virus e-bomb Die Hard 4.0 style :pie_thinking: It feels almost like because the footy game market is worth billions someone's put a few quid into espionage to collect those glitches direct from Konami's QA and then shill those glitches on gaming forums - every single year.

Konami that sent Kojima's staff to clean toilets in gyms allegedly, and demanding MTX in PES deserve nothing but bad karma IMO, but the people making PES the footy sim it is deserve far more success than they get. If FIFA fans care about CGI glitches in eFootball 2022 too, it is no wonder they are playing Fifa where the gameplay is shallower but the CGI has fewer glitches.

Mostly forced to kill PES because even youtubers are reliant on FIFA for their revenue. They are comfortable there and would fight anything that threatens their status.

I still remember years ago people were having some movement over boycotting Konami because they fired Hideo Kojima. They swear they will never buy another Konami products again or something.
But it seems to have entirely disappear now. Konami / Silent Hill threads no longer have any FucKonami post at all, despite the sentiment that they no longer make any good games and has went all Pachinko in Konami profit threads
Hard to keep raging at a company who made themselves entirely irrelevant by ceasing to make games.
Also, after Death Stranding, there's a lot of people who can't stand Kojima anymore. I know some people love the game, but for me, it was literally so awful that I'm never even considering buying another Kojima game. Plus his sheer arrogance level is frankly disgusting.

NahaNago

I thought they won some good will by porting old games to last gen. Plus they barely made any big games for folks to rally around to say fuckkonami.

killatopak

Gold Member
People forget and move on. It's not like they made a big splash since then. KONY is forgotten, Harambe is forgotten and now Konami is too.

The SH rumor threads are positive because it started as them bringing back the ip to Japanese developers after having been passed around from Western dev to Western dev with mediocre releases. The ip is one of the reasons behind the fuckonami thing as well with its cancellation. There were lots of positive stuff like Toyama being involved or even Kojima. Ito being back for monster design and Akira Yamaoka for music.

Filben

They swear they will never buy another Konami products again or something.
Ah, yes, those people. That's not a movement.

And practically what happens is with every """movement""" over a silly fandom thing because you favourite posterboy doesn't work for a company anymore and now you're entitled to hate on them? That is not much fuel for a movement.

People move on.

Doczu

Well how long can you fuck something that is technically dead?
I can't think of thrm teleasing anything onconsoles since people told them to fuck themself

Alexios

Banned
I mean, it's how people feel about them until/if they make some decent games and stuff ever again (re-releasing ancient decent stuff hardly counts). Did you expect all of Konami to shut down over people not liking their games output for #fuckonami to have some deep meaning or what exactly?

Last edited:

gongal

Neo Member
Imagine keeping such video game related grudges 7 years later. I guess people just grow up/have more serious life related problems.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I mean, there was never a movement, but I think people just got exhausted saying it so much, lmao. That feeling still exists, though they did release a few titles over the past few years. But I'm sure the sentiment remains through and through.

Fahdis

Fuck you all. Leave my Pachinko overlords alone. You skinless sacks can't measure up to the greatness of the MGS3 Pachinko ever.

*cries in a corner*

Because only people hyping up #fuckkonami were Kojima fanboys. I loved all his past games but if people actually bothered to read the full thread and reasoning for getting fired, you would get more business sense.

Konami just realized where the real money is and Kojima was bleeding them dry with paying massive royalties on songs that were never put in the game in the end, completed voiceovers only to call back the actors again to redo everything etc. Even when DS was completed i remember someone at SONY mentioned that it got a little bit crazy how much money was being spent on random shit and they will be more cautious the next time around.

Vognerful

OP,

if you think GAF has any moral standing about their positions, know that they change as soon as it has to deal with console wars or personal entertainment.

"Fuck Konami and their shit. Oh wait! They are making silent hill for PS5? Fucking yes!!!"

"EA is greedy and no one should buy their games. Oh wait they are making Titanfall 3 for Xbox? Praise the Lord!!!!!!!"

Kamina

Golden Boy
Funny you should ask:

“ Konami Holdings Corporation (soon to be Konami Group Corporation, by the way) has recorded its most profitable year ever in its financial results for FY2022. Its operating income has risen from 36.6 billion yen in FY2021 to 74.4 billion yen, marking a 103.6% increase. The overall profit increase after taxes yielded a 69.9% increase YoY.
When split into its core business sectors, Konami recorded its biggest profit increase within the 'Gaming & Systems' sector, recording 25.6 billion yen in revenue, up 54% from the previous year. 'Digital Entertainment' remains the biggest revenue sponge for the company, bringing in an impressive 215 billion yen for the year, an increase of 5.3%.”

Crazy, but good for them if they found their market.

Nautilus

Banned
They're actually putting out some decent stuff these days such as:

Plenty of bombas as well obviously but they are slowly but surely getting back into the swing of things.
They are getting back on the industry NOW after what? 8 years?

And even then, its mostly made up of ports/retro collections(so zero risks involved, since its when the games were made when Konami was considered one of the best devs in the industry) or cheap remakes.

I do hope they 100% come back, and while this is better than nothing, its too soon to say they are actually interested in gaming again.

Last edited:
They killed off three of my favorite franchises of all time (Suikoden, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear)

I'm still team FuckKonami, but I've made my peace with the fact that these franchises are forever dead a long time ago.

Last edited:
Remember when they delisted SkullGirls and you had a load of "FUCK KONAMI. I'M NOT BUYING ANYMO-- Wait... MGS V isn't out yet? Haha never mind."

Top Bottom