• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Sony did not give Jahtzee (Zero Punctuation) a review copy of Ratchet & Clank because they don't like his style.

Dr.Morris79

Vanessa Williams Film GIF
Sony. You know, that company, makes things. With that funny looking bloke at the helm that looks a bit like an old drunk. The company that doesnt like you playing old games and hikes new game prices up during a pandemic

Sony..

;)

Drewpee

Banned

How far up their own ass are Sony nowadays. Holy shit.

Censoring Japanese games, not giving reviewers copies, because they don't like their style?

I am very happy, that I did not buy a PS5.
I always enjoy reading this type of thread because you get a response from the blind fanboys that defend Sony no matter what and their illogical thought process can be very entertaining.

Sony could charge their customers $150 per game and I am 100% convinced you would have fanboys defending it.

Cornbread78

Imagine caring what a "reviewer" says about a game this days......

I'll take Jane & John Doe's opinions/observations first..

Drewpee

Banned
Obviously you missed the point that all publishers operate this way.
Obviously you missed the point of my response and have done exactly what I just called out lol you don't care that Sony might have done something a little shady, you care that people dare call it out.

You are more concerned with the response than the action itself.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Sony fans: This is what everyone does, cry more.

Microsoft fans: This proves why Sony is run by a reanimated Hitler from the shadows.

Nintendo fans: Man, Switch Pro and BotW2 and shit.

Me: LOL, this is stupid, when's that Abandoned app drop? #TeamReal.

mcjmetroid

You assume that any particular YT outside of the mainstream names like Pewdiepie or the Paul idiots are known by anyone in the general public? There are billions of people with YT access, and you'd be lucky to find a few million people who know of this guy. To put it in perspective, Pewdiepie might be the biggest name by far on YT, and most of the people I know (all engineers or coders) will never have heard of him. Let that sink in for a moment. I personally have never watched even a single second of any content he's made. I know of him from news articles and the Reddit front page.

Also, no one should care about any reviewers not receiving review codes. I don't care it's Sony, CDPR, or any company not giving codes. Buy a fucking copy of the game, and review it yourself, if it's such a big deal. I'm not going to care about you not getting free shit. I'm not built like that, and I don't think many people are.

Whatever free publicity he gets, will be meaningless to Sony. They have a business to run, and they have their own guidelines to follow. I'm in the fortunate position of not caring what other people have to say about a game or movie. I do my own research based on general gamer/viewer feedback, and I form my own opinions on what I play or see. I've never not bought a game because it reviewed poorly. I've never not watched a movie because it reviewed poorly. Why should someone else dictate my decisions? I never get buyer's remorse, because I don't buy things I'm unsure about, and I get enjoyment out of most forms of entertainment. Even bad games have enjoyable moments, but I haven't bought any games I'd consider to be bad. If I'm unsure about it, I'd rent it first.
Yessss but we're on Neogaf, a dedicated gaming forum. I'm not buying that most of the people on here haven't heard of him. It's only speculation of course I cannot prove anything.

Anyway by your own logic this " meanginless" reviewer shouldn't even matter to Sony either? By addressing it at all they are giving him attention and making themselves look bad in my opinion.
i'm not sure in what universe this makes Sony look good. It comes off as them trying to control reviews, not liking anyone having even the slightest bit of fun with their games and/or picking on the small guy.... yet again.
It's just not a good look for a gaming division to have.
It's a very Nintendo move to make being honest and I've given them shit about the same stuff plenty of times.

BUUUUT

At the end of the day anyway this is not a big deal at all, I just wanted to point out how ridiculous some of the comments in the thread were.
Yatzee aired his opinion at the end of the episode , it was less than 30 seconds.
I don't think it deserves 10 pages of intense fanboy defence force.

Drewpee

Banned
Oh my god, some of you people are as thick as brick walls.
I'm sorry you feel that way, would it be better if I just accepted your logic and stopped posting? I dont want to stress you out in a pointless thread that means nothing in real life.

Keihart

Does your rule apply to everyone or only this guy? Does every publishe owe every reviewer on the planet a review copy of every game? If I go start a review site/channel and begin requesting review copies of games, is anyone who denies me a copy an "insecure bitch?"
Not really and i never said that Sony owes him a copy.
Sony giving as a reason disliking his tone, meaning that they don't want to give a copy to someone that is going to say bad things about their game without a doubt, makes them look like insecure bitches.
If you are secure about your product you don't pick and chose based on tone but exposure.

Denying a copy to him did not stop the review, he is not going to change his "tone" because having to wait to buy the game and play it like everybody else.

There is nothing in Jahtzee's comment either implying that Sony owes him a copy, he just made public the reason because it's not common for him to be denied a copy because of his tone from Sony.

ManaByte

Sony giving as a reason disliking his tone, meaning that they don't want to give a copy to someone that is going to say bad things about their game without a doubt, makes them look like insecure bitches.
If you are secure about your product you don't pick and chose based on tone but exposure.

Denying a copy to him did not stop the review, he is not going to change his "tone" because having to wait to buy the game and play it like everybody else.

There is nothing in Jahtzee's comment either implying that Sony owes him a copy, he just made public the reason because it's not common for him to be denied a copy because of his tone from Sony.

Again, PR's job is to manage the coverage of their product to make it beneficial to the publisher. Any PR person who provided free product to an outlet that exists only to shit on said product would lose their job and likely be blacklisted in the industry of they continued to do it.

Keihart

Again, PR's job is to manage the coverage of their product to make it beneficial to the publisher. Any PR person who provided free product to an outlet that exists only to shit on said product would lose their job and likely be blacklisted in the industry of they continued to do it.
Yeah, that's not how advertising work.
If you think it does, you are like decades behind, you want engagement, it really doesn't matter much in the form it comes if your product is good enough to keep people engaged and buy it.

oagboghi2

That isn’t being insecure. That is a marketing team doing their job.

If Sony believes he will give them a negative review, what logical reason would they have to give him an early copy?

the entitlement is subtle but it’s there

Drewpee

Banned
I mean, if your posts are just console war bullshit, than sure. It’s not like we are missing anything.
You're right, I just don't take this site as serious as I should. I need to try harder to match the standard people like you have set for the rest of us.

He made the comment because he's a salty bitch. You can tell by reading his comment.

"It would have come out sooner if we’d gotten a review code before the release date but Sony wouldn’t give us one when they found out what it was for. They said that, quote, “Given the tone of that coverage, we’d prefer you secure your own code.” From where, Sony, the fucking dumpster outside your office? I don’t normally give you these cheeky little glances behind the beef curtains but I mean, really. I guess we all knew publishers want to dictate the content of reviews, hence those review guides they keep sending us that read like a timid schoolchild asking to please not be kicked in these specific sensitive areas, but I didn’t expect them to just come out and admit it. What’s your problem with my “tone,” Sony? You didn’t know I’d make the “snatchet” joke."

Not a good look at all by this guy. Good on Sony!

ManaByte

He made the comment because he's a salty bitch. You can tell by reading his comment.

"It would have come out sooner if we’d gotten a review code before the release date but Sony wouldn’t give us one when they found out what it was for. They said that, quote, “Given the tone of that coverage, we’d prefer you secure your own code.” From where, Sony, the fucking dumpster outside your office? I don’t normally give you these cheeky little glances behind the beef curtains but I mean, really. I guess we all knew publishers want to dictate the content of reviews, hence those review guides they keep sending us that read like a timid schoolchild asking to please not be kicked in these specific sensitive areas, but I didn’t expect them to just come out and admit it. What’s your problem with my “tone,” Sony? You didn’t know I’d make the “snatchet” joke."

Not a good look at all by this guy. Good on Sony!

"Hey Sony, can I have a free copy of your game to make a video on YouTube where I shit all over it?"

"Given the tone of that coverage, we’d prefer you secure your own code.”

Yes, that totally justifies an 11 page thread.

420bits

The statistics prove that he produced ~ 50 videos with 2 million views or more and even more with 1 million and more.

The dude alone has the same amount views as Kotaku and Polygon combined on youtube.

He is not taking away your PS5, don't worry it will be save on your shrine. Sony is great, Sony is awesome. Don't worry all is good.

All is good, he can't hurt you. Here is a picture of a kitten.

sleepy kitten GIF

I said ANY company that does this I stand behind. But that didn't fit your narrative so you removed it. Why?
Did you run out of arguments? This whole "I'm going to belittle your opinion with random shit I made up" is fucking retarded.
You could try to prove your point but you don't.

Again, ANY company (that means that its not exclusive to sony, it could be MS, nintendo, H&M or even a dildocompany) who thinks X doesn't fit their profile and doesn't deserve shit, is free to do so without people starting a shitstorm on the internet because they feel left out for some fucking reason.

It doesn't matter if it would be pewdiepie, or Bear gaming asia (9.9mil views on a CP2077 vs GTA physcis video) crying about not getting a thing for free.

Also, most of the channels top 50 is pre-2015 and that kinda proves my point about him being relevant.

Also, to everyone who say "oh sony did this becuase they don't bad reviews".
It could be that, but it could also be like i said previously, they don't want to affiliate their product with people who just talk shit? If ISIS started a gamingchannel and did it great, would that be something that should be sent free copies? I mean, they are professional in their reviewing on their channel, why care about anything else.

MiguelItUp

So a YouTuber didn't get a free code for a game review and it gets twisted into another meaningless console war pissing match.

We needed 11 pages for this?
Apparently. Just like the "Bungie said it's hot" thread, lol. A small situation, blown out of proportion, full of ass takes, that just grew long in the tooth like a motherfucker, lol.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, NeoGAF is kind of like a pollen storm. Most of it is going to go on cars and streets and die on the second page, but every once in awhile, without rhyme or reason, you get a glorious tree that stands a hundred feet tall, covering us all in its eleven page shade.

Why are Snoy fans so brazenly pathetic? Yes Papa Sony, only you can approve of the coverage I will consoom. Tell these fucking losers that they must treat your product with absolute reverence and seriousness like it deserves or kick rocks, nerd.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You seem to care enough to enter the thread and post tho. Getting your Sony PR money worth? I mean that’s the only reason for the idiotic very low IQ posts like this in every negative thread about Sony.
Oh The Drama GIF by MOODMAN

There's like 5 negative Sony threads on the front page alone, and this one is pure ripened bullshit. Keep up the good fight! Like clockwork.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Apparently. Just like the "Bungie said it's hot" thread, lol. A small situation, blown out of proportion, full of ass takes, that just grew long in the tooth like a motherfucker, lol.
I guess so. It's just so ridiculous to me that we get this much of a shit show from something that literally everyone in the industry does just because this one (apparently) popular content creator got a bit salty that he didn't get a free code this time around.

Every time a new release happens codes get sent out because the hype train needs to get going. These people are not chosen at random. They don't just shotgun the codes out into the public. This is curated content. These people are chosen by reputation, audience size and audience composition. This is not a Sony thing. This a video game industry thing. And not everyone gets a code. Some people may not meet the requirements they are asking for this time around so just because you got a code for another game does not mean you get a free code EVERY time. You may not be the audience or tone that they want this time, but all this guy has done is make sure that it's unlikely he ever gets a code again now. And that is on him. Not Sony. The only thing Sony did here is the exact same thing that always happens when it's time to start throwing codes out across the internet.

If anyone genuinely believes that Nintendo or Microsoft or any other major developer or publisher does not go through this exact same approval and denial process when it comes to review codes for major releases then I would love you to hit me up in my PMs. I have a bridge for sale.

Edit: Oh and before anyone says I'm a Sony fanboy or whatever I play primarily on PC and am currently in the market for a new Xbox because game pass is awesome value. I just think these threads that turn small shit into a meaningless console war are annoying.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I guess so. It's just so ridiculous to me that we get this much of a shit show from something that literally everyone in the industry does just because this one (apparently) popular content creator got a bit salty that he didn't get a free code this time around.

Every time a new release happens codes get sent out because the hype train needs to get going. These people are not chosen at random. They don't just shotgun the codes out into the public. This is curated content. These people are chosen by reputation, audience size and audience composition. This is not a Sony thing. This a video game industry thing. And not everyone gets a code. Some people may not meet the requirements they are asking for this time around so just because you got a code for another game does not mean you get a free code EVERY time. You may not be the audience or tone that they want this time, but all this guy has done is make sure that it's unlikely he ever gets a code again now. And that is on him. Not Sony. The only thing Sony did here is the exact same thing that always happens when it's time to start throwing codes out across the internet.

If anyone genuinely believes that Nintendo or Microsoft or any other major developer or publisher does not go through this exact same approval and denial process when it comes to review codes for major releases then I would love you to hit me up in my PMs. I have a bridge for sale.
Don't bring logic into this thread. It's a shitshow console war. It's really a giant nothing burger played up for outrage and shit flinging.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Why are Snoy fans so brazenly pathetic? Yes Papa Sony, only you can approve of the coverage I will consoom. Tell these fucking losers that they must treat your product with absolute reverence and seriousness like it deserves or kick rocks, nerd.

Snoy shuld be givin Jahtzee (0 Punkshoowayshun) all ther games at no additive prizes

Edit: There* couldn't post with a typo.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Also... I had no idea the guy still does this. He is game trailers and avgn era for me but

Top Bottom