• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Sony did not give Jahtzee (Zero Punctuation) a review copy of Ratchet & Clank because they don't like his style.

They did not do that in the past, it changed and got worse and worse and this is just a new low.

Nh8eMvS.gif
xXnueot.gif
lDQO0Q8.gif

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is simply false. So here are two cases:

1: You're lying to support a false point and the "reviewer" (trite comedian) you're for some reason a fanboy of.
2: You've been lucky and never ran into a company that did not care to give you a copy for whatever reason (and whatever reason is valid. It's their product and no one's entitled to it).

Regardless of which it is, publishers declining to provide review copies to MANY media outlets for whatever reason (including style and overall tone of the publication) are by no means a new thing.
How about this one.

When MGS2 was coming out, Kojima ordered NO ONE was to get early access to the game (likely to protect the Raiden twist). That meant NO ONE could play or review it before release. Everyone would be on the same page. No early review copies... Unless you're a website executive editor who was sleeping with Konami PR on the side. Then you got the game two weeks early to post hands on over a weekend when the competition wasn't working.

Holammer

What's with all the whining? Sony defense squad is kicking in doors because Sony sempai was ridiculed and R&C: Ripped a Fart did not get a glowing review?
ZP/Escapist buys review copies most of the time already and getting a review copy is the exception. It's even made fun of when it actually happens. You'd know that if you watched the show

What makes his tangent interesting is the Sony quote and the mention of review guides. A reminder that early game reviews by industry and YTbers are made by pathetic whores that agree with and follow the guidelines.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So here's an anecdote.

Lately, I'm having fun reviewing add-ons for Microsoft Flight Simulator. It's relaxing and provides content that not many outlets offer, so that has become a bit of a thing this past year.

Recently, I contacted a developer that released an interesting airport asking whether they were willing to provide a review copy.

Their response was "Not interested." That's it.

My response was "Fair enough." 🤷‍♂️

I worked in the industry from 1999 to 2009 and we never ever did not get a review copy or anything like that. Maybe it was different in the US.

I've worked since 2001 on both sides of the pond, both on print and web. Publishers declining review copies for whatever reason has always been a thing.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's not Sony who looks like an insecure bitch here.
If Sony had said ‘we do not consider you a reviewer’, that would have been absolutely fine.

The fact they have an issue with his previous ‘tone’, so have clearly sent him review copies in the past, is what makes Sony look like a bitch here.

I hate the press, but the idea of reviews is that you accept them indiscriminately.

The whole sending out ‘review guidelines’ is just a complete joke.

ManaByte

Gold Member
If Sony had said ‘we do not consider you a reviewer’, that would have been absolutely fine.

The fact they have an issue with his previous ‘tone’, so have clearly sent him review copies in the past, is what makes Sony look like a bitch here.

I hate the press, but the idea of reviews is that you accept them indiscriminately.

The whole sending out ‘review guidelines’ is just a complete joke.
Rockstar will blacklist you if you don't give them a 10. I witnessed them trying to strongarm a reviewer to change a 9.7 to a 10.

Lupingosei

Banned
I mean, at one point Bethesda didn't send review copies to any media outlet. So as far as new lows go...
There is a difference if everybody is getting nothing and people getting nothing because they don't like their style.

But I guess people would also defend Eidos now if they blackmailed Gamespot because Gerstmann did not like the game.

They are not entitled to a review copy or advertisement.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
What makes his tangent interesting is the Sony quote and the mention of review guides. A reminder that early game reviews by industry and YTbers are made by pathetic whores that agree with and follow the guidelines.

Review guides usually inform you about stuff like which parts of the story are considered a spoiler and shouldn't be mentioned or which things are known issues and are going to be fixed with a day one patch. Which is entirely fair.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
I've worked since 2001 on both sides of the pond, both on print and web. Publishers declining review copies for whatever reason has always been a thing.
I never had that experience. People were invited on events over and over again, even if they trashed games before.

People were writing articles about how Molyneux sucks for example and they still were invited to events and could interview him.

nowhat

I never had that experience. People were invited on events over and over again, even if they trashed games before.

People were writing articles about how Molyneux sucks for example and they still were invited to events and could interview him.
So. You diss people for not knowing how the industry works, while not knowing how the industry works.

One thing is for sure, you definitely have a background in games journalism.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

It's not about trashing a game. Why do you ignore this little nugget?

Edge trashes all the time, and they get their copies, same with Polygon.

It's about what they (the publisher) deem an actual review vs. satire. Once again, Dunkey gets millions on his videos, every single video. He doesn't go all bitchmade for not getting copies on his satirical "reviews."

He knows the game.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

The fact that you've never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've experienced it and saw it happen to others, for a wide variety of reasons that most times had nothing to do with negative coverage.

Lupingosei

Banned
What's with all the whining? Sony defense squad is kicking in doors because Sony sempai was ridiculed and R&C: Ripped a Fart did not get a glowing review?
ZP/Escapist buys review copies most of the time already and getting a review copy is the exception. It's even made fun of when it actually happens. You'd know that if you watched the show

Apparently, everybody does it that is why it is ok.

Sony is great, Sony is awesome.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Apparently, everybody does it that is why it is ok.

Sony is great, Sony is awesome.

No. It's ok because *all* publishers are entirely entitled to grant or deny free stuff to whoever they want. It's *their* stuff.

Receiving free product as review copies is not a right, regardless of who you are or the reach you have.

It's not a difficult concept, is it?

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
No. It's ok because *all* publishers are entirely entitled to grant or deny free stuff to whoever they want. It's *their* stuff.

Receiving free product as review copies is not a right.

It's not a difficult concept, is it?
Yes, Eidos was right all along as well, when they told Gamespot, that they have to remove the Kane & Lynch review or upgrade the score because nobody is entitled to review copies or advertisement.

Sorry, I did not understand that. You are right.

Top Bottom