• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Resident Evil Village is using AMD's FidelityFX image-quality toolkit on PS5

So, looks like devs has a full use of FidelityFX on PS API. But i don't know if it is named differently on PS API, though, compared to DX12.

iGxdAO9.jpg

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I like a bit o' CAS, but I don't know what a SPUD or a CA-CAO is. Researching now.

edit - Ta ethomaz, I'm not sure how much of a boost SPD is for nvidia but it sounds great and I can't wait for CACAO to be in more games, get a really good baseline for AO in many games.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Devs can use the FidelityFX tools in any AMD hardware that support it.

REVIII on PS5 is using:

FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS)
FidelityFX Single Pass Downsampler (SPD)
FidelityFX Combined Adaptive Compute Ambient Occlusion (CACAO)

I like a bit o' CAS, but I don't know what a SPUD or a CA-CAO is. Researching now.
It is better to use the names for research... CAS and SPD will be easy to find but CACAO is better to use the full name I listed up.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
BTW FidelityFX is not related to DirectX.
These are tools/algorithms related to hardware... any API can use it since the hardware support it.

And no REVIII is not making full use of FidelityFX... there are a lot of features not being used and some features are not even ready to use yet (Super Resolution).

PS. Not all hardware support all FidelityFX features... some old hardware support less than newer ones.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Could be integrated into Capcom's RE Engine, they're listed under the developers taking advantage of it.

96r85lF.png

Never mind, didn't see ethmoaz post

Last edited:

Rudius

Rich and John from Digital Foundry said the game looks sharper on PS5, like a 4K image, despite thinking it is checkerboarded just like the Pro version. You can see in the comparison that the PS4 Pro image looks blurrier.

Banned
Rich and John from Digital Foundry said the game looks sharper on PS5, like a 4K image, despite thinking it is checkerboarded just like the Pro version. You can see in the comparison that the PS4 Pro image looks blurrier.

yeh, I played the PS4 demo and the 4K mode looked like ass. but tbh. even the PS5 version's CBR implementation doesn't look much better than Dark Souls Remastered's
so it that's their super resolution stuff... I mean... it's not bad, but not much better than a good CBR implementation.

Last edited:

Shmunter

So this is the AMD stuff to go agains Nvidia DLSS?

DF was happy with the 4k reconstruction on PS5 but did notice some CB like artefacts upon close inspection. Either way, only a savant would notice it during gameplay while having their nose in the screen.

So, looks like devs has a full use of FidelityFX on PS API. But i don't know if it is named differently on PS API, though, compared to DX12.

iGxdAO9.jpg
Its a software it works on all modern amd gpus, this is just another buzzword that people think is only exclusive to dx12. The madness is laughable.

ethomaz

Banned

DF was happy with the 4k reconstruction on PS5 but did notice some CB like artefacts upon close inspection. Either way, only a savant would notice it during gameplay while having their nose in the screen.
No.

FidelityFX Super Resolution scheduled to May launch is the DLSS alternative.

Df dont even know if it was cb they just said cb because it was running on playstation, any reconstruction on playstation is just considered cb this days. It could be fidelity fx or any technique.

yeh, I played the PS4 demo and the 4K mode looked like ass. but tbh. even the PS5 version's CBR implementation doesn't look much better than Dark Souls Remastered's
so it that's their super resolution stuff... I mean... it's not bad, but not much better than a good CBR implementation.
Demon souls is a native ps5 game, village is crossgen! Theres defects with crossgen

Lethal01

I would like Capcom to improve their werewolves, using all that tech, IMHO, The Order werewolves look is way more cooler than those that appear on RE8.

I was ready to be on board with you since I don't find the ones in RE8 to look very good. But the ones in The Order are even more boring.

Banned
Demon souls is a native ps5 game, village is crossgen! Theres defects with crossgen
? I think you didn't read my post correctly

Df dont even know if it was cb they just said cb because it was running on playstation, any reconstruction on playstation is just considered cb this days. It could be fidelity fx or any technique.

no they don't assume it because it is PlayStation. they assume it becasue it literally has checkerboarding artifacts and because RE Engine almost always used CBR on at least some of the consoles. and it has the option on PC in every game.

Last edited:
? I think you didn't read my post correctly

no they don't assume it because it is PlayStation. they assume it becasue it literally has checkerboarding artifacts and because RE Engine almost always used CBR on at least some of the consoles. and it has the option on PC in every game.
All reconstruction techniques have artefacts you cant easily say its checkerboarding, they couldnt even tell if demon souls, miles morales was using reconstruction or checkerboarding they just assumed, dlss, cb, fidelity fx, and what not all have similar artefacts, the artefacts depend on the the native resolution and quality of the reconstruction technique. Cheap checkerboarding is blurrier but better checkerboarding is almost unoticable, we can assume anything until capcom say what reconstruction technique they are using. I also believe its checkerboarding on ps5 but im a nobody who doesnt work for capcom.

Banned
All reconstruction techniques have artefacts you cant easily say its checkerboarding, they couldnt even tell if demon souls, miles morales was using reconstruction or checkerboarding they just assumed, dlss, cb, fidelity fx, and what not all have similar artefacts, the artefacts depend on the the native resolution and quality of the reconstruction technique. Cheap checkerboarding is blurrier but better checkerboarding is almost unoticable, we can assume anything until capcom say what reconstruction technique they are using. I also believe its checkerboarding on ps5 but im a nobody who doesnt work for capcom.

checkerboard rendering has VERY obvious artifacts that are almost exclusively found when CBR is used. that's why it is easy to tell once you see the artifacts that they are in fact coming from checkerboarding, or as Capcom calls it... Interlacing, and that's almost exactly what the artifacts look like if CBR is used. you see combing at the edge of objects or any straight line, similar to how an interlaced image looks like when it's not properly de-interlaced, just less obvious at first glance due to the checkerboard layout of the pixels instead of straight lines like in traditional interlacing

temporal injection, TAA upscaling and similar reconstruction methods do not exhibit these combing artifacts whatsoever. these might look blurry in motion or have ghosting as a side effect from the accumulation method (very obvious example would be Halo Rach, a very early game to utilize such an AA method on Xbox 360) but they will not have combing lines on edges/objects

edit: here an example of a completely untreated CBR method. meaing the engine just puts out the raw image without trying to hide the CBR artifacts:
checkerboardrendering-indark-souls-remastered-by-qloc-28-638.jpg

the vertical lines are supposed to be straight lines, but you can see there are combing artifacts.
of course this will never look this obvious (except in Rocket League on PS4 Pro where they basically did exactly this, leave it completely intreated) but if you look for the edges in motion basically any CBR using game will exhibit these more or less obviously.

this image is from the presentation of the Dark Souls Remastered devs, who famously made a CBR implementation so good that neither Digital Foundry nor VG Tech actually noticed it was using CBR. so it is possible to make it look so good that you will need a side by side image of native res vs CBR to easily tell. but only DS Remastered ever came so close as to be almost unnoticeable (although in comparison shots with native res you can see it)

Last edited:
checkerboard rendering has VERY obvious artifacts that are almost exclusively found when CBR is used. that's why it is easy to tell once you see the artifacts that they are in fact coming from checkerboarding, or as Capcom calls it... Interlacing, and that's almost exactly what the artifacts look like if CBR is used. you see combing at the edge of objects or any straight line, similar to how an interlaced image looks like when it's not properly de-interlaced, just less obvious at first glance due to the checkerboard layout of the pixels instead of straight lines like in traditional interlacing

temporal injection, TAA upscaling and similar reconstruction methods do not exhibit these combing artifacts whatsoever. these might look blurry in motion or have ghosting as a side effect from the accumulation method (very obvious example would be Halo Rach, a very early game to utilize such an AA method on Xbox 360) but they will not have combing lines on edges/objects
They couldnt find any checkerboarding artefacts on demon souls as youve said it was almost unotissable until the developers said it was cb at 60fps mode on the tech interview, we dont know how ps5 improves cb or what they mixed it with well never know this stuff until the devs say it really.

Banned
They couldnt find any checkerboarding artefacts on demon souls as youve said it was almost unotissable until the developers said it was cb at 60fps mode on the tech interview, we dont know how ps5 improves cb or what they mixed it with well never know this stuff until the devs say it really.

DARK SOULS! DARK SOULS! >>>DARK<<<
R852a8315454d841bd6b94f9e540a7922

dark_netflix.jpg

the thing is, THEY FOUND CBR ARTIFACTS IN RE8! and that's showing you that it uses it. that and the fact that ALMOST EVERY SINGLE RE ENGINE GAME DOES and offers the option on PC...

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Rea
DARK SOULS! DARK SOULS! >>>DARK<<<

the thing is, THEY FOUND CBR ARTIFACTS IN RE8! and that's showing you that it uses it. that and the fact that ALMOST EVERY SINGLE RE ENGINE GAME DOES and offers the option on PC...
They didnt find cbr artefacts on re8 they said the game looks 4k until you look at alpha textures like grass theres artefacts on grass but they didnt mention if they are cbr or intelaced. They have no clue.

Banned
They didnt find cbr artefacts on re8 they said the game looks 4k until you look at alpha textures like grass theres artefacts on grass but they didnt mention if they are cbr or intelaced. They have no clue.

interlacing would be worse than CBR you know that right? also yes, looking at exactly these parts of the image is the easiest way to tell if CBR is used, because it often has issues with transparencies and small moving details like grass and hair

edit: I might add that they could easily tell that the PS4 Pro was not using CBR in performance mode, showing you that the game doesn't exhibit these artifacts just in every mode or version. it's clearly CBR. I think they are very vague nowadays and say stuff like "most likely x, most likely y" because console warriors (also knowns as retards) will jump on them as soon as they get even the smallest detail wrong and make a 20 page twitter thread about it the same day.

there was a whole drama filled hour long conversation full of fantards on twitter a few weeks back because they mislabeled a console version in one scene (that scene wasn't even comparing anything, it was just filler)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea
interlacing would be worse than CBR you know that right? also yes, looking at exactly these parts of the image is the easiest way to tell if CBR is used, because it often has issues with transparencies and small moving details like grass and hair

edit: I might add that they could easily tell that the PS4 Pro was not using CBR in performance mode, showing you that the game doesn't exhibit these artifacts just in every mode or version. it's clearly CBR. I think they are very vague nowadays and say stuff like "most likely x, most likely y" because console warriors (also knowns as retards) will jump on them as soon as they get even the smallest detail wrong and make a 20 page twitter thread about it the same day.

there was a whole drama filled hour long conversation full of fantards on twitter a few weeks back because they mislabeled a console version in one scene (that scene wasn't even comparing anything, it was just filler)
Its not console warriours the reason they cant say x ot y is because reconstruction techniques are almost unknown this days, you can recognise any reconstruction artefacts in alpha transparencies they all suffer from that but knowing what reconstruction is used is a challenge, even digital foundry had to redesign their tools because they couldnt tell shit in most new games. Even The ue5 demo df didnt know if it was reconstructed all their tools and observations said its native 4k until epic said its 1440p reconstructed to 4k, same as miles morales same as demon souls. And could also be re8 we wont know until the devs say what technique they are using its just not easy to notice this days.

Banned
Its not console warriours the reason they cant say x ot y is because reconstruction techniques are almost unknown this days, you can recognise any reconstruction artefacts in alpha transparencies they all suffer from that but knowing what reconstruction is used is a challenge, even digital foundry had to redesign their tools because they couldnt tell shit in most new games. Even The ue5 demo df didnt know if it was reconstructed all their tools and observations said its native 4k until epic said its 1440p reconstructed to 4k, same as miles morales same as demon souls. And could also be re8 we wont know until the devs say what technique they are using its just not easy to notice this days.

they don't have tools to measure resolution... what are you talking about? they literally count pixels by hand by looking at screenshots. as does everyone else who does these analysis type videos.

and again, CHECKERBOARD ARTIFACS ARE DIFFERENT. how is this so hard to understand? no other reconstruction method exhibits combing artifacts, not a single one.
RE8 showed combing artifacts. it's very cut and dry.

also Checkerboarding, if done correctly, is by far the best reconstruction method if your goal is to look close to native while saving performance. so why would they use anything else when every game before RE8 used it already to pretty good effect?

and no, they aren't unsure, they clearly know it is CBR. and they definitely are very vague nowadays because of shitheads (some of them are found in this very forum) that attack them on twitter all day as soon as a small mistake is found. there were older games that had less obvious artifacts than this one and they had no issue just saying it's CBR, and they also had no issue saying when it's not CBR... because it's obvious!

checkerboardrendering-indark-souls-remastered-by-qloc-28-638.jpg

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

artifacts like these ONLY happen when the game uses CBR, and in no other instance. if they find artifacts like it, they know it's CBR (or broken AA, which happend to Halo Reach in Xbox One back compat I think)

Last edited:

modiz

Hmm, I think something does not add up here, to be honest.
Why would they use zstd if on consoles you can use Kraken for PS5 and zlib for Xbox "for free" because of hardware decompressors? That does not make any sense to me and looks more like a picture that would show the PC version features.

ethomaz

Banned
Hmm, I think something does not add up here, to be honest.
Why would they use zstd if on consoles you can use Kraken for PS5 and zlib for Xbox "for free" because of hardware decompressors? That does not make any sense to me and looks more like a picture that would show the PC version features.
Because it is q cross gen game that needs to run on old consoles and PC?

onesvenus

Naive question but do multiplatform games show a single set of tech credits or do that change per platform?
This could really well be the whole set of software used by RE engine, not just the one being used in the PS5

modiz

Naive question but do multiplatform games show a single set of tech credits or do that change per platform?
This could really well be the whole set of software used by RE engine, not just the one being used in the PS5
So where is this picture actually from? Is it taken from the RE8 demo? Then one could check whether this picture appears also on PS4/PS4 Pro. If that is the case then there is nothing to add to this "story" and is not a proof PS5 uses FidelityFX.

ethomaz

Banned
So cross-gen games use newest AMD tech but don't use the dedicated hardware for standard and generic processing? Sure...
That is not newest AMD tech lol

FidelityFX CAS was added to Shadown of Tomb Raider and F1 2019 in 2019 for example.

BTW FidelityFX CAS works in older AMD GPUs and nVidia’s GPU (even not being optimized for these)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So where is this picture actually from? Is it taken from the RE8 demo? Then one could check whether this picture appears also on PS4/PS4 Pro. If that is the case then there is nothing to add to this "story" and is not a proof PS5 uses FidelityFX.
FidelityFX can be used in GCN (aka PS4 too).
It depends of the effect... it works on nVidia’s GPUs too.

Last edited:

modiz

That is not newest AMD tech lol

FidelityFX CAS was added to Shadown of Tomb Raider in 2019 for example.

BTW FidelityFX CAS works in older AMD GPUs and nVidia’s GPU (even not being optimized for these)
So you are arguing that FidelityFX is nothing special at all because it is not a next-gen feature set? Then the whole premise of the thread is rendered useless?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Horizon on pc

Yeah, but we all know how Horizon on PC *works*, AMD throwing some meaningless buzzwords coupled with badly managed open-source programming. Death Stranding on same Engine ported by help of nVidia is in totally different level of quality.

onesvenus

BpZeo2q.png

This is an image from the PS4 version of the game. You can find the video here. Notice that it also says it's using FidelityFX

ethomaz

Banned
So you are arguing that FidelityFX is nothing special at all because it is not a next-gen feature set? Then the whole premise of the thread is rendered useless?
FidelityFX is a open source image quality toolset effects not exclusive to any hardware (it can be used even in nVidia GPUs).

The ones listed in the OP screen (CAS, CACAO and SPD) are older and used since 2019 in several games.

Some effects have hardware requirements so these ones will only works if the hardware matches that requirement.

New effects are being released... the next one is the SR (Super Resolution).

Armorian

Banned
FX effects implemented in games works on any DX11 class hardware, so on consoles starting from PS4/X1 (probably Switch too) and on PC even Nvidia and AMD 2011 GPUs support it (even earlier series maybe).

onesvenus

AMD console uses AMD features.

jurassic park mind blown GIF by Spotify

You guys really shouldn't buy into every single piece of FUD you come across on the internet :messenger_winking:
If you read the thread you'll see that image doesn't really dismiss any FUD.
Those are also present in the PS4 version and as ethomaz ethomaz says, those are not new so it doesn't imply anything on the PS5 capabilities.
Looking at the GPUOpen repo, CAS, CACAO have been available from May 2020. SPD has been available since March 2020

Top Bottom