• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So just unlocked the Skell in Xenoblade X

SinDelta

Game just went from pretty good to 11/10.

Everything is now different. What were obstacles like small water waterfalls or cliffs, I can now jump over. Instead of sprinting across a gigantic stretch of land for minutes I can now travel in style in the skells alt mode far faster.

What were monsters I had to avoid, I can now simply beam saber and missile spam them.

The vast world just got bigger (and I have not even unlocked flight yet.) The way they make you explore this alien world, and unlock its secrets and plant probes that give you resources at the same time is pretty genius.

Only issue is the same constant joke about eating Tatsu. Come up with new material Lin for fucks sake.

Last edited:

recursive

Game just went from pretty good to 11/10. Everything is now different. What were obstacles like small water waterfalls or cliffs, I can now jump over. Instead of sprinting I can now travel in style in the skels alt mode.

What were monsters I had to avoid, I can now simply beam saber and missile spam.

The vast world just got bigger (and I have not even unlocked flight yet.)

Only issue is the same constant joke about eating Tatsu. Come up with new material Lin for fucks sake.
What that game needed was a volume slider for music to turn that crap off. Can never be an 11/10 in my eyes due to shitty soundtrack.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Best Xenoblade game.

Come at me GAF

6Pa.gif

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
For better or worse, Skells break basically every aspect of that game. Every challenge you encountered with exploration or combat has now become so much easier.

and yeah gotta love how there’s like 45 minutes of “Tatsu looks like a potato” cutscenes yet
the game ends with a bullshit cliffhanger that probably never be resolved.

Last edited:
For better or worse, Skells break basically every aspect of that game. Every challenge you encountered with exploration or combat has now become so much easier.

and yeah gotta love how there’s like 45 minutes of “Tatsu looks like a potato” cutscenes yet
the game ends with a bullshit cliffhanger that probably never be resolved.

Skells are cool looking and allow you to explore more of the map but after unlocking the flight skell fighting lvl 90+ tyrants you're better off on foot with a properly set up team. Taking a little time to build a character properly you can really break the game. Even a single well built character can solo the hardest Tyrants in the game on-foot

I spent about 30 hours finding all the parts I needed to put together a lvl 60 Skell and proceeded to get one-shotted in it by Gradivus. I rented a decently built character to try tackling some of the tougher regular areas in my playthrough and the rental was straight-up raping Gradivus. That's when I realized character build is entirely more important than digging up Skell parts.

SinDelta

It looks amazing too:

image_proxy.php

And people are still like "nah man that open world pokemon game reveal looked like crap because of hardware limitations!!!!!!!"
Playing Xenoblade DE, X and 2 are really interesting insights into how Monolith Soft helped with Breath of the Wild. Ie, the High Entia ruins in Satori Marsh in 1 looking very much like the basis for Zora's Domains entire aesthetic in BotW.

Xenoblade as a series is looking to match Kotor/Mass Effect 1/2/13 Sentinels Aegis Rim as my favorite sci-fi ever.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hell yea, I know I'm getting close to unlocking the skell but I can't stop exploring whenever I play rather than move forward with missions. Just enjoying the scenery and looking for probe points.

Truly fantastic game.

Fbh

Playing Xenoblade DE, X and 2 are really interesting insights into how Monolith Soft helped with Breath of the Wild. Ie, the High Entia ruins in Satori Marsh in 1 looking very much like the basis for Zora's Domains entire aesthetic in BotW.

Xenoblade as a series is looking to match Kotor/Mass Effect 1/2/13 Sentinels Aegis Rim as my favorite sci-fi ever.

Yeah Monolith and Xeboblade are great.
I really hope we get another game from them before the end of the Switch life cycle. Xenoblade 2 was great but from my understanding they couldn't put their A game into it because a large part of the studio was helping with Breath of the Wild. And then they went on to make the Xenoblade Remaster. So I really want a new game from them where they can fully focus on it and go all out

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I really hope we get another game from them before the end of the Switch life cycle. Xenoblade 2 was great but from my understanding they could put their A game into it because a large part of the studio was helping with Breath of the Wild. And then they went on to make the Xenoblade Remaster. So I really want a new game from them where they can fully focus on it and go all out
Same. It's pretty much the only reason I'll continue to buy Nintendo consoles.

I will say that XC2 was their best game yet. Story-wise I think Gears and Saga were slightly better though.

SinDelta

I really hope we get another game from them before the end of the Switch life cycle. Xenoblade 2 was great but from my understanding they could put their A game into it because a large part of the studio was helping with Breath of the Wild. And then they went on to make the Xenoblade Remaster. So I really want a new game from them where they can fully focus on it and go all out
A Xenoblade X DE with a overhauled UI, improved graphics, controls, tutorials and a full on expansion like Xenoblade DE would be amazing.

Fbh

A Xenoblade X DE with a overhauled UI, improved graphics, controls, tutorials and a full on expansion like Xenoblade DE would be amazing.

Definitely.
Though I'd rather get a new game from them and have Nintendo hire someone else to port over XcX

Same. It's pretty much the only reason I'll continue to buy Nintendo consoles.

yeah they are definitely one of my favorite Nintendo studios.
It's a shame though. For a long time now I go into every direct wishing for either Bayonetta 3 or a new Monolith soft. And I end up disappointed every time.

Some of the music is hilariously bad, but there are so many excellent tracks that I think of the OST as awesome overall.

Getting flight is another "Oh wow" moment, and so is blinging your mech out with a super weapon that can one-shot powerful tyrants in the post game.

Buggy Loop

Can’t believe this game is not on switch yet.. I have a Wii U but no way I’m investing on that shit in 2021. Fucking port it Nintendo!

Oh yeah here's that pic of me posing with my mech I post in every XCX thread. Good times.

Tk4nGm2.jpg

Love XCX, weirdness and all. I'm all about using the overdrive system on massive bosses and flying around Mira. Gonna finally try XC2 later this year. Looking forward to it.

fallingdove

Game is trash. Waaay too grindy. When you have to exploit to earn enough money to repair your stupid Skells, something is clearly broken.

The story and characters are pretty awful too.

People that say XX is better than XC 1 or 2 are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

SinDelta

Game is trash. Waaay too grindy. When you have to exploit to earn enough money to repair your stupid Skells, something is clearly broken.

The story and characters are pretty awful too.

People that say XX is better than XC 1 or 2 are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.
I'll say that as good as X is, the flaws you mentioned are a big consideration. XC DE is a far better game so far (to a great game mind you), and I'm liking what I've seen of 2 more for being closer to 1 then X.

One thing I'm noticing with 2 is that the aesthetics are very evocative of Breath of the Wild.

In fact, let me go one step further. After having played both Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles DE I honestly think XC DE is the better game though both are top 10 all time worthy for me.

Last edited:

fallingdove

I'll say that as good as X is, the flaws you mentioned are a big consideration. XC DE is a far better game so far (to a great game mind you), and I'm liking what I've seen of 2 more for being closer to 1 then X.

One thing I'm noticing with 2 is that the aesthetics are very evocative of Breath of the Wild.

In fact, let me go one step further. After having played both Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles DE I honestly think XC DE is the better game though both are top 10 all time worthy for me.
I want to say that Monolithsoft played a major role in designing BOTW’s open world so I am not surprised that they took what they learned and applied it to XC 2.

XC DE, in my opinion, is probably the best JRPG since the PSX era. It’s a shame that more JRPGs haven’t taken note of the things it got right.

That said, XC DE isn’t without its grind (post-game quests are particularly awful), but XX turned the grind up to 12.

I really wish we would get a AAA Xeno (or in the same vein) game on a next gen hardware system.

The idea of building your own mech and being able to use it in battle is such an underused concept in modern gaming that it's really fucking confusing.

Did robots and mechs stop being cool or something?

Hell, getting a power armor in Fallout is pretty nifty.

Getting that giant ass sub in Subnautica and being able to walk around in it was lit AF.

Now imagine getting a giant mech that you can climb on, have a cockpit view like Starfield, and idk, screw it, let me go combine with others mechs and make a megazord.

Just give me something!

bbeach123

I hate how the skell made the world feel so much smaller , it take like 5 minute to fly from one side to the other side .

I hate the overdrive system , I hate how one or two ability is just 100 time better than others . I hate how you either take like 30m-1h hours to kill the boss normally , or abuse the overdrive and broken ability to kill it in 1-5 minute, bypass all of the boss fight mechanic .

Yea I have 100 hours into this game and still hate it .

Xenoblade X along with Bayonetta 2 were the two reasons I got a WiiU. I had played Xenoblade 1 on the Wii expecting not to like because it was a JRPG, but then after finding out the combat was more akin to Dragon Age than turn based I felt much more at home. On top of that the scale and art design was fantastic, which is something that definitely translated over to X.

The mechs in X alone make it one of the most fun open world games to traverse. Going from on foot to driving to eventually flying. The only thing I hated was the fact that the last boss is just bullshit and basically requires that you have all your characters have level 50 Shells. Only my MC had one at that point and I didn’t feel like grinding for more so I never beat it.

Top Bottom