• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, it seems PS5 *does* have unified cache (Zen 3-like) after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mod edit: this discussions is part of the existing thread here

Remember this was discussed to death before and the consensus was that no it didn't? Well...

Last edited by a moderator:

Banned
It's probably the reason why PS5 fares so well in high performance / 120 fps modes like in CoD. With such framerates, CPU latency is what matters. A shared L3 cache is a killer feature.

either that, or the fact that the Xbox version of Warzone runs at a vastly higher resolution... but who knows? and in Cold War where the resolution isn't much different the XBox version runs smoother in 120hz mode
11pkiz.png

I wonder why the system on the right (PS5) runs smoother :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Banned
No, in DMC5, same resolution, PS5 runs slightly better in 120 fps mode. Same thing in CoD cold war, as far as I remember.

nope cold war runs better on Xbox, DMC5 is the only real example of same res + better 120hz performance on PS5.

Warzone is the CoD example that runs smoother on PS5 but that's because it runs back compat PS4 code with lower settings and a way lower dynamic res.

Last edited:
I think this was always suspected wasn't it. As mentioned above it's not infinity cache as I'd imagine even if it was possible at the time then the cost would have been far too high for a console although it does probably come from the same place.
I know that AMD had said previously that some features were for RDNA2 came from the work with the console partners, I wonder if maybe that's where the concept of the infinity cache came from and why this is exclusive to PS5?

Rivet

that's not cold war that's Warzone. and again, Warzone runs at WAAAAY lower settings on PS5. way lower resolution and lower settings ontop of that

Right but Cold War runs slightly better at 120 fps on PS5 too. Check this video (01:20 or 05:20), although that's closer obviously :

Last edited:

Banned
Right but Cold War runs better at 120 fps on PS5 too. Check this video :

I already corrected myself a few comments up.

the thing is tho, there is no way this is CPU related. CoD games aren't very CPU intensive. I can run CoD at higher framerates than either console and I only have a Zen+ CPU in my PC, and Zen+ is way worse than Zen 2 for high framerate gaming.

this is unoptimized code that either doesn't utilize enough of the available cores correctly or has other issues.

Last edited:

Stooky

either that, or the fact that the Xbox version of Warzone runs at a vastly higher resolution... but who knows? and in Cold War where the resolution isn't much different the XBox version runs smoother in 120hz mode
11pkiz.png

I think both versions are running in bc mode. We’ll know for sure this fall with they release the console native apps.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

11pkiz.png

Warzone is a PS4/Xbox One game, and Cold War doesn't run better in 120Hz mode, where did you get that from?

Three

Thread of shame with the regulars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom