• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, if PS5 is BC with all previous PlayStations, do you think MS's BC can compete?

RAIDEN1

Xbox One backward compatibility was awesome, not on the PS4 could you play gems like Burnout Revenge (still great to this day has not been bettered arguably..) Panzer Dragoon Orta, Republic Commando, Jade Empire and MGS HD editions...to name but a few...

Last edited:

marquimvfs

To everybody here arguing about licensing problems: If, and ONLY if, we get real BC, it won't matter. If the next gen BC works like de Xbone solution, then we won't have REAL BC. The thing is, I guess the real BC on PS5 will only work for the PS4 games, with some retro stuff being launched on the store occasionally.

Holy moly!!

Tomorrow Will be sick for sony PlayStation fans. Possible something really definitive in retards to bc.

Ps5 being invoked as the center of PlaySyation family, so I would not discard even the dreamed PS3 games on ps3

Edit: I could be Wrong tho so take it as a pinch of salt

Last edited:

Griffon

I'm calling it: PS1/PS2/PS3 BC is not gonna work with the discs, you'll have to rebuy the games, if the games are brought over at all...

Actually, forget about it altogether, I think Sony will only have PS4 to PS5 BC, but they wont have any wide support for any other console beyond that. You'll probably have a few rare rereleases, but no wide sweeping Playstation Classics ranges like back then on PS3.

Last edited:

Jamesie

Neo Member
I'm calling it: PS1/PS2/PS3 BC is not gonna work with the discs, you'll have to rebuy the games, if the games are brought over at all...

Actually, forget about it altogether, I think Sony will only have PS4 to PS5 BC, but they wont have any wide support for any other console beyond that. You'll probably have a few rare rereleases, but no wide sweeping Playstation Classics ranges like back then on PS3.
There is no reality in which I honestly ever believed that Sony would include backwards compatibility for PS1/PS2 and especially PS3 titles however I'm okay with that as long as they include support for the PS4 discs and digital copies that we already own.

At least for 1 and 2 we have decent emulation with the PS3 gaining better support, sure it's coming along slowly but at least its happening.

Shmunter

I’m not holding out hope for PS3 compatibility because Sony wouldn’t have cut the PS3 psplus games if they still had a future use. But it woud be lovely.

Yes its fine. Its all about just playing your older stuff. Sony should have had this for a while. Its great xbox has it. Nintendo needs to have it but they like to charge you for games over and over and get a pass on that.

sol_bad

I really hope I can play the PS1 and PS2 games that I bought on PS3. Doesn't entirely bother me though as I still have my PS3 and I'll just keep it plugged in if I need to. And if my PS3 ever dies there is always emulation.

Kupfer

Just a funny thought I have :

Would it be "allowed", if Sony would make Xbox Classic/360 games possible on Ps5 and vice versa Ps1 and Ps2 games on XSX, without selling the games on their platform and without advertising the feature.

Imagine we just pop in Halo in our Ps5 for fun and it would work. I think from a technical perpective, it's totally possible.

(Edit)
Okay, they have to break the copy protection mechanics, didn't think about that. So no.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how important this is. But if they sell most digitally it can be a good revenue stream. I can play older games on my PC I still don’t. But maybe they‘ll have A.I. in their remastering engine. Like it will analyze the textures and automatically insert some cleaner ones using dreams or something.

edit: I would love some PS VITA games. Since I never played those games.

Last edited:
to be honest i dont think BC is that big of a selling point for consumers. As a whole i think we are talking <5% of users who actually take advantage of it.

I think the only BC games i can still enjoy in 2020 are the updated Halos in MCC and the Mass Effect series

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
All it needs is PS4 compatibility. The rest of it is irrelevant in the grand scheme. Very few people play those older titles and if they do they just emulate them.

Last edited:

Three

We don't know how Sony's BC will work.

All Xbox games in BC run in 4K by default on the X, and there are a lot of 360 games they've updated to 4K as well. We don't know if Sony is going to do that or not.
I'm pretty sure he meant in terms of games library (PS2 and PS1) and not resolution.

Three

Well. Sony BC track record is crap. Microsoft's is awesome.
BC track record

PS2 fully BC with PS1
PS3 fully BC with PS1 and PS2 (first 2 years hardware)
PS4 not BC

Xbox 360 none, eventually less than 50% BC with XB original
Xbox One none, then eventually less then 20% BC with XB360 and XB original

Yeah such a great track record

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I hope everyone enjoys buying ps1 and ps2 games for a third time.
I also get a kick out of the people who think upscaling low-poly models and low-res textures is a win. The more you upscale it the worse that stuff looks because it makes the limitations obvious.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
My assumption is it will only play PS4/PS5 games.

If it plays PS1/PS2/PS3 that would be great, even if it is just discs. I don't think they can make everything available digitally. If that's not possible it would be nice if they would at least let me bring over my PS1 classics and other digital content that is already available that I paid for.

CrisPy2019

PS
BC track record

PS2 fully BC with PS1
PS4 not BC

Very short-sighted person lol.

So far like 100% of what MS did works. And half of what Sony does works. Yeah so Sony has a shit track record of BC. You can't count the the games that are not supported by BC into the track record.. that's idiotic.

Mohammed Ali Didn't win most fights when I count all fights ever fought before his birth too.....

Deal with it and grow out of that mindset already....

And if you would be literate you would be able to understand that Sony struggles with software BC. And that is what's needed for Sony to emulate a PS3.

It is NOT work or skill if you have an older console inside a newer one. IT IS NOT hard for a Wii to play GameCube games. It is not hard for a DS to play GBA games. It is not hard for a PS2 to play PS1 games. ALMOST Everything that requires work is a BC failure on Sony's part. Because they either struggle or don't care about propper software BC.

Also I agree. PS4 is the worst BC console for Sony, XBO is the best for MS. Both are the current example.
See who is improving? Who is getting worse.

Track record is shit confirmed.

Hardware BC does not require any effort at all. Leave the sinking fanboii boat it's an archaic way of thinking.

I probably have more Sony console than you anyway lol.

Last edited:
If ps5 were to offer full backward capacity I might buy one if I don't have to rebuy everything. No freaking way I am rebuying my collection every gen. Maybe they don't care about people like me but I bet you I buy as much games as 25 regular customers combined who buy 1 or 2 franchises only. Is that worth anything to them? Who knows. I have other options so I will take my business elsewhere like I did this gen.

quickwhips

I also get a kick out of the people who think upscaling low-poly models and low-res textures is a win. The more you upscale it the worse that stuff looks because it makes the limitations obvious.
The only benefit is if it had framerate issue that can now be fixed. Otherwise meh.

Ozrimandias

Honestly, every day that Sony doesnt make an announce of this, i have less faith that the Ps5 its going to be BC past PS4.
I hope i get wrong but...... im almost certain that this is not going to happen.

Stuart360

Honestly, every day that Sony doesnt make an announce of this, i have less faith that the Ps5 its going to be BC past PS4.
I hope i get wrong but...... im almost certain that this is not going to happen.
Well them AMD leaks (assuming they are real?) prove that PS5 will have BC with atleast PS4. Maybe they will just use custom emulators for previous gens.

Lone Wolf

If PS5 played every gen of PS games, I would buy day one. I have a few PS1 and PS2 games that I would love to play.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
BC question for those more informed. Will the SSD tech speed up the load times for older games? Specifically I'm thinking about destiny 2 and Skyrim

Journey

Banned
The people who said it was worthless, were probably referring to it being worthless on Xbox (due to the inferior game catalog on Xbox, compared to Nintendo and Sony consoles).

Damage control much? No, when questioned why Sony wasn’t making the same effort for BC, the argument was that the PS4 didn’t need it because nobody buys a new console to play old games. Don’t try to revise history.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Damage control much? No, when questioned why Sony wasn’t making the same effort for BC, the argument was that the PS4 didn’t need it because nobody buys a new console to play old games. Don’t try to revise history.
I've never liked this reason, especially now days with downloadable games that can be enhanced.

kyussman

I'd love to be able to retire my PS3 but it just ain't happening.....at least I'll be able to get rid of my PS4 so I'll still have just two consoles hooked up.

Ozrimandias

After patiently waiting the whole goddamned gen to play some of the 30 odd PS1 games I bought digitally on my PS3 on my PS4, I won't hold my breath.

Same as you, i still got my PS3 in wich I have some good PSone Classic like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy V to X, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, and those are only the PSone, from Ps2 i have Rockstar games, Siren (Really a gem), Persona 3, Persona 4, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Nocturne, Katamari....... i have so much classics to play.

I'm gonna be pretty angry if Sony doesnt do somethin about BC.

thelastword

Banned
Some integer scaling and other algorithms should help a fair bit.....I personally prefer remasters at 60fps, so if the BC engine unlocks framerate caps, inserts new textures a la parappa, uprezzes to 4k and add AA/AF, that should be pretty impressive......

I don't think BC is a great selling point, but at least those who want to play will get to do so with some benefits...…..Personally, I would go bonkers and prefer a remake of Vagrant Story over this, but if this is the best way I can replay it, I'd be stoked......

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
20+ years of gaming on one console, their rival M$ can't compete with SONY's experience, if experience wins generations than SONY is winning next generation.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Just bumping this to see if someone who understands this can answer

I don't know about what the SSD might do, but if they do BC like Xbox, the load times have been virtually eliminated on the Bethesda games for example. Games like FO:NV, Oblivion etc . used to have horrible load times. Now on the X it went from 1-2 minutes to 3-8 seconds. It makes playing BC games so much more enjoyable.

Dane

Unkown, Jimbo said that "no one wants to play old games" and then some time later the PS Classic was released. Not to mention that they re released a few of the PS2 classics on PS4, same shit (in a way bigger scale) with non BC PS3s, instead of offering a downloaded .iso or converted right from the disc.

Also, the PS4 can't read CDS if my memory is correct, while even the Xbox One can, that means at least for that console, the PS1 BC from disc games would've been unavailable. A repeat of that means no PS1 disc BC, digital only IF sony decides to do this with the PS1 Classics from PSN.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think Sony already won the next gen battle, for what we know their PS5 plans make sense and will be the logical next gen step of the current, super successful PS4 plans. Seems they won't repeat the PS3 launch mistakes.

When possible (PS3 to PS4 hardware structure was too different and PS3 too difficult to emulate, and during PS3 they had to reduce costs to reduce as much as possible that insanely expensive console price), Sony enabled BC in all their consoles.

Regarding PS5 vs Xbox, they only need PS4 BC to convert a huge chunk of these >100M PS5 userbase to PS5 and ensure them a smooth transition. I see PS1, PS2, PS3 BC as something secondary (PSP and Vita even more) for the big majority of PS5 users, and even most of those who like me would appreciate it won't use it.

I think PS1, PS2, PS3 library of key games is way more valuable asset for PS Now than for PS5 itself. But obviously, to have the option to download them and play them locally on PS5 would be a plus for many players to get PS Now. And even better having there your digital PS2, PS3, PS4 ready to download and play in PS5 without paying again as happened where digital BC was available (PS1 & Minis between PSP, PS3, Vita).

BC track record

PS2 fully BC with PS1
PS4 not BC

Vita fully BC with PSP (digital games, because physical game media was different)
PS1 and Minis did work in PS3, PSP and Vita

Last edited:

xool

Just like Jim Ryan predicts, I have close to zero interest in playing old games on a new system.

Bkdk

MS is releasing many of their older titles on PC with enhanced graphics and UI. No way Sony’s PS5 beat MS on backwards compatibility. Even if Sony will release their game on PC, their inexperience on PC ports will put them behind for a year or two.

Last edited:
Top Bottom