• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, if PS5 is BC with all previous PlayStations, do you think MS's BC can compete?

RaySoft

I honest think the vast majority of regular consumers and consoles buyers don't care too much about Ps2, 1 or even Ps3 backwards compatibility.
I mean it would obviously be a nice bonus and I'm sure people on places like GAF would be thrilled but I doubt it would be the one feature to make or break the success of the Ps5.

Ps4 BC is a bit different as it's more recent and also the first gen where consoles have really pushed for digital ownership (it's easy to forget that last gen plenty of consoles games didn't even have digital releases).
The point is that it's not for just digital releases.. It's for every physical game you own... kinda like Stadia in reverse;-)

CJY

Banned
Our expectations of PS BC and how it performs on a technical level makes it almost impossible for Sony to satisfy loyal PS fans, media and the general public. I suppose the lofty expectations have been set by the stellar BC of the Xbox One X.

Sony put themselves in this rough position. They could so easily have given us what we all wanted at any time this generation which is disk-based BC, or even BC with our PS classics purchased on PSN.

I'm reserving full judgement until Sony show their hand, but it isn't looking or feeling great for Sony. Their track record with BC has been pretty spotty and I have no faith that what they do is going to satisfy me. I hope i'm totally wrong though.

Texas Pride

Banned
We don't know how Sony's BC will work.

All Xbox games in BC run in 4K by default on the X, and there are a lot of 360 games they've updated to 4K as well. We don't know if Sony is going to do that or not.

The quality of a game isn't dependent on the pixels it renders at but nice try.

ph33rknot

Banned
Our expectations of PS BC and how it performs on a technical level makes it almost impossible for Sony to satisfy loyal PS fans, media and the general public. I suppose the lofty expectations have been set by the stellar BC of the Xbox One X.

Sony put themselves in this rough position. They could so easily have given us what we all wanted at any time this generation which is disk-based BC, or even BC with our PS classics purchased on PSN.

I'm reserving full judgement until Sony show their hand, but it isn't looking or feeling great for Sony. Their track record with BC has been pretty spotty and I have no faith that what they do is going to satisfy me. I hope i'm totally wrong though.
They can I've said I'm only a Xbox guy. But ps has a massive backlog that is would be jealous of

No. Xbox’s BC solution will be miles ahead of whatever Sony is offering. On top of that, Microsoft has slowly built a damn good catalogue of games. I wouldn’t expect Sony to have anything that matches that day one.

All all of that 4k whatever won't matter because Playstation exclusives library collected over all generations is years ahead of everything Microsoft has.

Kacho

All all of that 4k whatever won't matter because Playstation exclusives library collected over all generations is years ahead of everything Microsoft has.
Performance matters a lot more than Jet Moto and Primal, but to each their own.

Regardless, a lot of people seem to have unrealistic expectations on what Sony is going to deliver. Prepare for disappointment.

You can't even play PS1 classics on the PS4, fuck. I don't expect anything more than just being able to play PS4 games as if you were running them in a PS4 Pro, no 4K or anything.

Banned
Do old Xbox games compare favorably to the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 libraries? Obviously not.

have you seen Conker Live and Reloaded, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Ninja Gaiden Black at ~1920p on One X?

fuck yes they compare favourably... these games look fantastic still.

PS2 backwards compatibility will only be interesting for exclusives, Multiplatform games that are backwards compatible I would rather play on Xbox since Xbox versions were just way better.
See Max Payne 1 and 2, absolutely atrocious PS2 ports but they had really good Xbox ports.

also, the og Xbox has some hidden treasures that are not backwards compatible yet, and I hope that will change when Series X comes out.

Jet Set Radio Future, Otogi 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi 3 are the 4 games that I want the most to finally be backwards compatible and improved for modern TVs.

that's especially true since Xbox emulation on PC is still horrible and almost not existent actually.

meanwhile I can basically already play all PS1 and PS2 games enhanced on my PC 🤷‍♂️

that's why Xbox BackCompat is a bigger deal than PS 1&2 BackCompat IMO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Regardless, a lot of people seem to have unrealistic expectations on what Sony is going to deliver. Prepare for disappointment.
I remember thinking the PS4 would at least be backward compatible with PSX/PS2
The muthafucker couldn't even play CD's
But to be able to play
Silent Hill 1/2/3/4
Persona 3/4
Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3/4
Fatal Frame 1/2/3
XenoSaga Ep 1/2/3
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Haunting Ground
Onimusha 1/2/3/4
That would be beautiful

Last edited:

Kacho

I remember thinking the PS4 would at least be backward compatible with PSX/PS2
The muthafucker couldn't even play CD's
Still bitter none of the digital games I bought on PS3 carried over. Wasted opportunity.

ManaByte

Gold Member
have you seen Conker Live and Reloaded, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Ninja Gaiden Black at ~1920p on One X?

fuck yes they compare favourably... these games look fantastic still.

PS2 backwards compatibility will only be interesting for exclusives, Multiplatform games that are backwards compatible I would rather play on Xbox since Xbox versions were just way better.
See Max Payne 1 and 2, absolutely atrocious PS2 ports but they had really good Xbox ports.

also, the og Xbox has some hidden treasures that are not backwards compatible yet, and I hope that will change when Series X comes out.

Jet Set Radio Future, Otogi 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi 3 are the 4 games that I want the most to finally be backwards compatible and improved for modern TVs.

that's especially true since Xbox emulation on PC is still horrible and almost not existent actually.

meanwhile I can basically already play all PS1 and PS2 games enhanced on my PC 🤷‍♂️

that's why Xbox BackCompat is a bigger deal than PS 1&2 BackCompat IMO

Yea I was playing Splinter Cell a while ago and it looks amazing on the X.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hard to say until we have confirmation as to how PS5's compatibility works.

Sony has the larger back-catalogue, that's for sure. Licensing issues may get in the way if Sony can't find a way to play native discs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Given their track record, PS5 would have BC with old systems only if you buy model one in the first year or two that has BC integrated into the chips.

After that, you're on your own.

They'll make a big splash saying PS5 is BC, but then when the compatible systems are phased out, you'll never hear them talk about BC ever again.

Last edited:

Aion002

First of all.... I don't think that full bc matters in the end of the day.

The console with the better price and new games will always win.

But if it did matter.... No way! Only Nintendo can be equal (or better depending on the person) in terms of a competing on full bc console with Sony. The PS library makes the Xbox library seem insignificant.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Well. Sony BC track record is crap. Microsoft's is awesome.

Well I understand that the challenge is bigger on the newer generations, but I still don't agree with that statement. BC on PlayStation consoles were great up to the PS3 revisions. C'mon, PS2 and PSP ran PS1 games, PS3 fat run PS1 and 2 games, PS3 slim still had PS1 compatibility, they just got worse from that point. The Xbone is the only Microsoft console that is really good at retrocompatibility, and even that started slowly. Beside that, I agree that Sony's software solutions are worse than Microsoft's. If all next gen retrocompatibility rely on software emulators, I believe that XSEX will see better results in that regard, but PS5 will be nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

They compete in terms of any emulation, but not library. 3 xbox consoles vs 4 playstations plus sony puts out more games (MS slowed down big time this gen and late last gen).

Do you mean full BC with previous PS consoles? Then no MS's current BC solution doesn't compete. Playing a fraction of the library at 4K that are download only is way worse than full BC. If Playstation goes that route then MS has to follow.

Blade2.0

I don't think going back more than one generation is going to matter at all in the grand scheme of things. The percentage of players who seriously intend to play 360/PS3 games on next gen consoles has to be in the low single digits.
I've got a huge library of PS3 PS+ games, so I'd love a crack at them if possible.

CrisPy2019

Is this a revisionist history post...?
Can every PS3 play PS2 games?
Can PS4 play PS3 games?
Can PlayStation classic not stain the legacy of PS with crap performance?

If Sony has no OLD hardware in the NEW console to play the games then they have no clue what they are doing because with software emulation they totally fail.

Maybe put away your "sponsored by Sony"-History book and watch something on your Sony TV instead.

Preferably not Sony Channels.

You might see a glimpse of reality.

No. Xbox’s BC solution will be miles ahead of whatever Sony is offering. On top of that, Microsoft has slowly built a damn good catalogue of games. I wouldn’t expect Sony to have anything that matches that day one.
Ripping good laugh. I just love a good joke. Thanks for keeping gaf fun with your sense of humor.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
The average Joe doesn't care as much about BC as some people think.
It's not really a selling point, so any BC will do fine for both PS and Xbox.

Kagey K

Banned
Even if they offered full compatibility, it seems like they wouldn’t be able to upload or offer a large portion of the games digitally, as they would run into licensing issues.

It’s an unfortunate obstacle that most companies didn’t think about back then because they were only signing contracts in the here and now, and not looking forward.

I think what MS did this gen with BC got a lot of companies to rethink how these contracts are worded going forward, and that only helps to benefit everyone from preservationists to consumers.

Alx

The average Joe doesn't care as much about BC as some people think.
It's not really a selling point, so any BC will do fine for both PS and Xbox.

I don't think we should think about BC like in the old days, with gamers saying "I want to keep playing the old games standing on my shelves", but more as additional content for subscription-based libraries like Gamepass/GwG and PSNow/PS+. Having a large range of "classics" available in such subscriptions definitely has marketing appeal.
On the other hand, you can't count too much on "very old" games (aka more than 2 generations away). Most of them aged badly, especially regarding gameplay in 3D games. Trying to go back to some OG Xbox games in gamepass is often difficult. 2D or arcade games do age fine, though.

johntown

Banned
I highly doubt it will be but if it is that would be a game changer and no Xbox would be deader than it currently is.

yurinka

The key BC is going to be with PS4, because there are over 100M PS4s sold and these players will see as a great selling point to be able to use there the games they 'recently' bought. In addition to this, for players who this gen didn't have a PS4 also will appreciate to have there stuff like God of War, Spiderman, Bloodborne, Last Guardian, Uncharted, TLOUR, etc.

I see PS1, PS2 and PS3 BC as something more secondary because most players will see the as too old games, but still a great point for many players, specially those who had these consoles and still have these games.

Seeing that when compared to their competition BC had a very limited effect in the first PS3 BC skus, or XBO sales, I see BC as something secondary and complementary. But it can be important now specially if they allow the discs from other consoles or to download the games you already have without paying again, and also would be a good addition to subscription/streaming catalog.

I think the main PS5 selling points will be its catalog, but mostly focusing on next gen AAA exclusives and multiplatform 3rd party games.

TimFL

The only thing I'm looking forward to in regards to BC (minimum of PS4/Xb1) is the fact that it'll at least put a damper on remasters popping up 24/7. Absolutely tired of remasters flooding the market for a game I played a year ago on my old console (now asking me to pay full price again for upscaled textures and more FPS).

The only acceptable form of re-releases is a complete remake (e.g. RE2). I hope this also means the PS4 copy you buy of TLOU2 is automatically converted to a PS5 copy on release (or at least offers an upgrade DLC similar to what games did back when the PS4 launched, e.g. PS3 AC4 offering a 10€ upgrade to a PS4 copy).

Kacho

Ripping good laugh. I just love a good joke. Thanks for keeping gaf fun with your sense of humor.
No need to get upset over the truth. Sony will offer some barebones BC solution for PS4 only that doesn’t enhance anything. No boost mode, no improvements, etc.

Banned

if the leaks are to be believed this is the case...

the leaked APU has a separate mode to simulate a PS4pro. that means most likely that's how it's going to be.

this could be the only way to do it for Sony because of the API they use which is way more tailored to the specific hardware of the PS4 than the Xbox One's API is to its hardware.

so Sony might have no choice but to go for an approach that simulates a PS4/Pro exactly with no room for improvement

Last edited:

EDMIX

Nope.

Simply put it, MS can't make a whole new generation they were never in. Sony will have PS1 as BC, a something MS can't actually do, like....can't. Unless they got a time machine or something lol

Have you seen this thing called Nintendo Switch?

If performance matters so much why has it outsold Xbox One despite 3 years later start ?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've been playing Destroy All Humans on my Xbox One X lately. An original Xbox game that's still more fun than some of the AAA shit released these days.

Got it on the PS4 as well along with the sequel from the PS2. It can be fun, but is very brainless after a while.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Can MS compete? Absolutely.
Xbox already has a great library of enhanced BC games. While Sony has been charging for remasters or PSNow to play the games you already own, MS has been giving us FREE remasters of the games we already own.

Besides once MS introduced BC so many of Sony fans said they have no interest in old games, it's apparently just Xbox people that like to play their old games at no charge.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You’re all expecting to just be able to put your PSOne disk on and play it, let alone with any enhancements...

Meanwhile I’m sat here wondering why certain massively popular entries in popular PSOne series still aren’t on PSN...

I’m sure the BC will be amazing, and it will be a joy to see certain posters suddenly jump on the BC bandwagon after spending the last few years calling t “worthless” and “not needed because I don’t want old games”.

But without any concrete info in what they will do? I don’t know at all. I mean, it could load all disks, and that’s amazing, j would LOVE that, but there’s a reason the Xbox BC program doesn’t do this, and it’s nothing to do with enhancements.

Either way I’m glad Sony are finally living in the current decade with regard to BC.

Kacho

Have you seen this thing called Nintendo Switch?

If performance matters so much why has it outsold Xbox One despite 3 years later start ?
Performance does matter though. It’s not the only thing that matters, but it’s obviously very important.

No, it will just stop being a differentiation factor for Microsoft, and if they offer real BC (near 💯% compatibility) it will shame MS's offering, especially if they offer automatic enhancement, like PC emulators (performance and resolution boosts among other things).

Performance does matter though. It’s not the only thing that matters, but it’s obviously very important.
It matters a lot if you get the console to play Doom, far cry, Witcher 3, CoD, etc.

But if you want to play Nintendo titles and some 2d indies it doesn't matter at all.

No need to get upset over the truth. Sony will offer some barebones BC solution for PS4 only that doesn’t enhance anything. No boost mode, no improvements, etc.
This is like the ps4 and xbox reveal eons ago. Remember ps4 only having 4gb of ram? Xbox having 8 and blowing it away? I'm not hyping anything until we gave solid specs in our hands. And even then i played most ms games on pc so the xbox never hyped me. And i had all three of the xbox systems.

zeus9860

Neo Member
I don't see Sony putting all that effort into making proper emulation on ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4 consoles into ps5. I do believe some games will be brought forward from previous gens, so we have to buy them again, digitally. The only physical copies that should work next gen are ps4 games, and i wouldn't be impressed, if the catalogue of games from the ps4, working on ps5 to be limited to some hand picked games by Sony. In other words, games that could be worth reselling and are still popular.

Also, there is one major factor people seem to be ignoring in this debate, the licensing of older games is an issue. Games like Gran turismo for example, they weren't included in the mini ps system because of that issue alone since it requires licensing of the cars/brands and the music, all that money is not worth investing into older games that are sold for like 5-10 bucks. This is what led to fans creating a work around to be able to get these games on that system. I do believe if Sony was to invest in BC for some of their older/major titles, it could be somewhat game changing for them, even more so, if they start handing those out with ps plus instead of indie games that almost nobody cares about. It's like 1 in 10 indies that catch my interest and usually it fades away a few minutes/hours into the game.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why anyone would want to play anything more than two gens old. It'll look like absolute crap. Like how after playing and watching everything in 4K it's absolutely painful to look at anything in the old standard 480 resolution.

quickwhips

I don't see why anyone would want to play anything more than two gens old. It'll look like absolute crap. Like how after playing and watching everything in 4K it's absolutely painful to look at anything in the old standard 480 resolution.
Ive been playing alot of beat em ups and ps2 scooby games with my son. They are fun and graphics arent everything. Im sure if the rumors are true some ps5 people will agree.

Top Bottom