• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just realised Sony's own DualSense doesn't work for remote play on Android

KAL2006

Banned
I bought a Tab S7 Plus recently and remembered that I can use it as a remote paky device around the house. Remote play actually plays decently around my house using the same WiFi connect, the lag is actually not bad when I tested on my phone a few months back. So I download the official app for Android. Boot up the PS5 remotely, select High settings and high framerate for the app. Load up a quick game to test in this case Spiderman Remastered. And I have to say it play beautifully and looks amazing on my Tab S7 Plus OLED screen.

I was using the on-screen touch controls so I decide to pair the DualSense controller. Pair it up via Bluetooth and seems to have paired, can even control the Android interface. However once I go into the remote play app nothing happens. I mess about with the settings, I even connect the controller wired and still nothing works. So I decide to check online and fund out Sony's own DualSense controller is not compatible with remote play, only PS4 controller is. And I gotta say I'm pretty bummed I'm not going to shell out for Dualshock 4 just for remote play but it's very dissapointing Sony just don't give fuck. I'd understand perhaps first few months they forget to include this, but it's basically nearly a year and we still cannot play remote play with Sony's official DualSense controller for their own official Remote Play app for Android.

Does anyone have any idea if Sony will ever bother fixing this and if not is there are workaround or another unofficial remote play app that supports DualSense

Update

DualSense works using PSPlay app on Android which is unofficial app with more features than the official app.

Just tried remote play on my Tab S7 Plus and it's a revelation. I think my need for Steam Deck has plummeted. I played Street Fighter V and honestly the lag isn't that bad and that's me playing in 1080p with highest bitrate and 60fps. Street Fighter V is a game where input lag is immediately noticeable if I'm happy with this game a 3rd person action game like Monster Hunter or Horizon will work perfectly.

As I was only planning to play Steam Deck around the house the need for a Steam Deck isn't there anymore after trying remote play. I think the reason why the lag is not bad is because my S7 Plus has WiFi 6 and I connect directly to PS5 which is connected with a ethernet (PS5 also has WiFi 6) also connect my DualSense wired to my Tab S7 Plus and use the PSPlay app which is better than Sony's official app.

Also Steam Deck hasn't been confirmed to have WiFi 6

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
So I seen an app on Playstore called PSPlay which states in the description DualSense works. Anyone know if this app is good and allows me to play 1080p/60fps like the official app.

DonF

Sony's controller support right now is pure garbage... I want the ability to use my DualShock 4 controllers in PS5 games, and I also want to be able to use my Dualsense on my PS4... why the fuck can't I do that? there is no technical reason for it whatsoever. just arbitrary bullshit
Even more infuriating is that the PS3 supported the dualshock 4, yet the ps4 doesn't support dualsense and the ps5 only supports the dualshock in ps4 retrocompat games. I have 4 dualahocks mostly to play overcooked, yet I need 3 more dualsenses to play the ps5 version.

Fake

Sony's controller support right now is pure garbage... I want the ability to use my DualShock 4 controllers in PS5 games, and I also want to be able to use my Dualsense on my PS4... why the fuck can't I do that? there is no technical reason for it whatsoever. just arbitrary bullshit

Just money. Dualsense works on PS3 because generic Bluetooth. They gave support for Dualsense on PC, but not for Playstation family.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah took ages to come on iOS, as I had to enroll in the beta. Guessing it will come at some point to Android.

jm89

They just forgot about Android, I think its working on iOS a while back. Annoying as shit as i really want to use my phone to play some games remotely.

They will take there sweet time, ps app devs move at a snails pace.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Works fine on iOS.

BTW there is a requirement on Android… seems like it needs Android 10 or higher… I will try late on Wife phone that is Android 10.

PS. Just to be fair the Dual Shock 4 only worked native on Android 10 or higher… you needed a mod to work on lower Android versions.

Last edited:

Agent X

I am confused at how this is a thing but it definitely feels very Sony like. Its the small ux things that I feel like they fuck up.

Both of you are correct.

It's baffling that Sony treats the DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers so differently.

My understanding is that DS4 works perfectly fine if you want to play PS4 games on a PS5 console, but not for playing PS5 games--you need to use a DualSense for those games. That is, unless you want to fire up Remote Play on your PC, in which case you can only use a DualShock 4, and not a DualSense.

This confusing situation could easily be resolved if Sony would update their Remote Play apps (on PC and mobile devices) to recognize both the DualShock 4 and DualSense, and allow you to play PS4 or PS5 games with either controller (with possible exceptions for any PS5 games that require specific functions of DualSense).

Before the PS5 came out, I assumed that controller support for PS4 & PS5 games would be handled similarly to what Sony did when PS2 came out: both PS2 and PS1 could generally use either system's controllers interchangeably, and the only limitations applied to certain PS2 games that relied on specific DualShock 2 functions (pressure sensitive buttons). If Sony would adopt a similar policy for PS4 & PS5 controllers, then the world would be a better place.

cormack12

Gold Member
Both of you are correct.

It's baffling that Sony treats the DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers so differently.

My understanding is that DS4 works perfectly fine if you want to play PS4 games on a PS5 console, but not for playing PS5 games--you need to use a DualSense for those games. That is, unless you want to fire up Remote Play on your PC, in which case you can only use a DualShock 4, and not a DualSense.

This confusing situation could easily be resolved if Sony would update their Remote Play apps (on PC and mobile devices) to recognize both the DualShock 4 and DualSense, and allow you to play PS4 or PS5 games with either controller (with possible exceptions for any PS5 games that require specific functions of DualSense).

Before the PS5 came out, I assumed that controller support for PS4 & PS5 games would be handled similarly to what Sony did when PS2 came out: both PS2 and PS1 could generally use either system's controllers interchangeably, and the only limitations applied to certain PS2 games that relied on specific DualShock 2 functions (pressure sensitive buttons). If Sony would adopt a similar policy for PS4 & PS5 controllers, then the world would be a better place.

I don't think its that simple tbh. Dualsense only started working on iOS after Apple added supported into the OS. I'm guessing its the security keys and api/driver support. Google need to do the same with Android I'm guessing.

I'm not defending the stupidity of it being missing at launch because it is crazy but I don't think it's just a case of updating the remote play app sadly.

Agent X

I don't think its that simple tbh. Dualsense only started working on iOS after Apple added supported into the OS. I'm guessing its the security keys and api/driver support. Google need to do the same with Android I'm guessing.

I'm not defending the stupidity of it being missing at launch because it is crazy but I don't think it's just a case of updating the remote play app sadly.

You might be right to an extent, but at the same time it seems Sony imposes some strange limitations within the Remote Play app itself.

According to the OP by K KAL2006 , Android recognizes the DualSense, and he can even use it to navigate the user interface. It appears that Remote Play itself is detecting that he's using DualSense, and saying, "No way, dude, you gotta use a DualShock 4". It's as though Remote Play demands that you use an actual DualShock 4 and only an actual DualShock 4, regardless of whether the Android OS itself can interpret the controller.

KAL2006

Banned
You might be right to an extent, but at the same time it seems Sony imposes some strange limitations within the Remote Play app itself.

According to the OP by K KAL2006 , Android recognizes the DualSense, and he can even use it to navigate the user interface. It appears that Remote Play itself is detecting that he's using DualSense, and saying, "No way, dude, you gotta use a DualShock 4". It's as though Remote Play demands that you use an actual DualShock 4 and only an actual DualShock 4, regardless of whether the Android OS itself can interpret the controller.

That is correct Android recognises DualSense as a generic Bluetooth controller. And works like a normal Bluetooth controller. Works with the android interface and I assume any other game that supports controllers. It's the remote play app itself that refuses any DualSense input. My assumption is they added that limit to stop people using any Bluetooth controller for remote play, but since the release of PS5 they forgot to include DualSense.

cormack12

Gold Member

Yeah I imagine its like having generic chipset drivers or generic storage firmware instead of the vendor supplied ones. The general (generic) functions will work and the device (DS4) is probably whitelisted as a result. Whereas the DS is just a generic controller.

When you try and hack your way round it on PC you still need VDX to emulate the DS4 for example.

Topher

Gold Member
That is correct Android recognises DualSense as a generic Bluetooth controller. And works like a normal Bluetooth controller. Works with the android interface and I assume any other game that supports controllers. It's the remote play app itself that refuses any DualSense input. My assumption is they added that limit to stop people using any Bluetooth controller for remote play, but since the release of PS5 they forgot to include DualSense.

Looks to me like DualSense has limited functionality on Android overall. I just fired up Forza Horizon 4 on xCloud and was able to play just fine with my DualShock 4, but not with the DualSense. The DualSense allows for menu manipulation but that is about it so this isn't limited to just the Remote Play app.

But for the heck of it, I'm downloading Asphalt 9 to see how it works there.

Edit:

Yep. DualShock 4 works fine in just every respect for Android. DualSense does not. In Asphalt Legends, I was able to drift and use nitro along with all the controller functionality it gives. DualSense was only able to pause the game and select from the menu. No control over the car actions were present at all.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Update

So I downloaded unofficial PSPlay app from Playstore and DualSense is working perfectly. If anyone else is using this app what is the difference between Connect and Direct Connect?

Three

Update

So I downloaded unofficial PSPlay app from Playstore and DualSense is working perfectly. If anyone else is using this app what is the difference between Connect and Direct Connect?
Direct connect connects directly to your PS5 wifi, not through the router.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I'm not sure why would people play games outside their homes? Why get out then? I'm just curious.
I guess a daily commute or a trip with traveling downtime like a plane ride. Otherwise, people use it when their TV is being used by someone else in the home maybe?

Three

Does this usually mean less input lag?
It does but it's usually minimal anyway. I find that direct connect is less stable than through my router depending on where I am in the house but theoretically fewer hops means less lag so Direct Connect should lower input lag by a very small amount.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I guess a daily commute or a trip with traveling downtime like a plane ride. Otherwise, people use it when their TV is being used by someone else in the home maybe?

Do people not read books anymore?

the simpsons adult GIF

KAL2006

Banned
I'm not sure why would people play games outside their homes? Why get out then? I'm just curious.

I do remote play in my home office. My PS5 is currently connected to the TV in the main lounge. So remote play helps when it's in use or if I'm in the home office and want to play while I'm working. Obviously I can alleviate the need for remote play by buying another PS5 or moving the the PS5 everytime I decide to use it. But this seems like a good alternative, I don't do my main gaming over remote play but it's nice for some quick games while I'm bored at work or just wanna grind in a open world game

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
It does but it's usually minimal anyway. I find that direct connect is less stable than through my router depending on where I am in the house but theoretically fewer hops means less lag so Direct Connect should lower input lag by a very small amount.

I'll give it a shot and compare later on, as the room I do remote play on is directly above the room the PS5 is in.

KAL2006

Banned

Just tested it it runs better with Direct Connection.

This has been a revelation for me. Switch and Steam Deck appeal for me personally is playing in bed or another room while my TV is being used. The actual need for playing outside was never there for me. Now that the experience of remote play is so good it makes the Switch and Steam Deck irrelevant for me. Of course Switch has the extra appeal of Nintendo exlcusives I guess.

You cant use the dualsense for much of anything outside of a ps5 controller if you want a controller for anything else but a ps5 you should look else where.

KAL2006

Banned
Update

Just tried remote play on my Tab S7 Plus and it's a revelation. I think my need for Steam Deck has plummeted. I played Street Fighter V and honestly the lag isn't that bad and that's me playing in 1080p with highest bitrate and 60fps. Street Fighter V is a game where input lag is immediately noticeable if I'm happy with this game a 3rd person action game like Monster Hunter or Horizon will work perfectly.

As I was only planning to play Steam Deck around the house the need for a Steam Deck isn't there anymore after trying remote play. I think the reason why the lag is not bad is because my S7 Plus has WiFi 6 and I connect directly to PS5 which is connected with a ethernet (PS5 also has WiFi 6) also connect my DualSense wired to my Tab S7 Plus and use the PSPlay app which is better than Sony's official app.

Also Steam Deck hasn't been confirmed to have WiFi 6

Top Bottom