• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I caved and bought a Series S

ManaByte

Gold Member
yeah so scared of a console that runs a crossgen game in valhalla at 720p 60 fps

it's such a bad console that it runs cyberpunk at 1080p 30 fps because it would need to render 540p to reach 60 fps (since it's brother series x does 1200-1300p 60 fps)

it shouldnt've dropped ANYTHING below 1080p. CLEAR as that. it does not DIP to 720p in ac: valhalla. it practically runs 720p-810p MOST of the time. you can check gameplay videos, it only gets to 900p in light scenes and only gets to 1080p... probably when you look at sky. yeah, sky 1080p gaming. so scared of it.
The Phantom Menace Fear GIF by Star Wars

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Its interesting to see people continuously know how to spend other people's money. For one person, the extra $200 is well worth it, not much extra, sure, buy the X. For the next, it's the difference between making rent, or going out once a month, or saving for something else in their life that takes priority other than video games.
These people aren't sitting around going OMG it's running at 900P my life is over! Or I got ripped off, I can't play with 60fps! So while you might buy the "better" pc in the comparison listed earlier, it doesn't mean everyone will. It's getting more than a little silly here.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Its interesting to see people continuously know how to spend other people's money. For one person, the extra $200 is well worth it, not much extra, sure, buy the X. For the next, it's the difference between making rent, or going out once a month, or saving for something else in their life that takes priority other than video games.
These people aren't sitting around going OMG it's running at 900P my life is over! Or I got ripped off, I can't play with 60fps! So while you might buy the "better" pc in the comparison listed earlier, it doesn't mean everyone will. It's getting more than a little silly here.
Very good point. S was never intended for the hardcore audience. When they announced the S I kept thinking, "WTF, who would buy that?" But then I thought about my Pops, I gave him my One X as I just don't play it really at all and he was on a One S, but he only plays on my old 1080p TV he has set up in his man cave. He'll sit in there and play RDR2 for hours. A One S would be exactly perfect for him as he has no intentions on upgrading his man cave TV to 4k anytime soon. He's exactly the audience that's being targeted with that sku, not me.

I've been trying to get a 3080 for the better part of 6 mos. now and I had the option of getting a 3070, but I just didn't want to settle for that. Now that the 3080ti is on the horizon, I don't even want to settle for the 3080. I really enjoy my awesome gaming setup and want the best possible framerates and resolutions available, I'm not the target audience for the lower-tier consoles or graphics cards. And I'm still happy they exist. I love LOVE playing cross-platform games with my Pops, Deep Rock Galactic or Sea of Thieves has been really fun. I'm glad he can play and in the future when more titles come out that he can't play on the One X, I'll probably take that back and just get him a One S as it's exactly perfect for him. I think people in general need to stop putting so much importance or loyalty into a piece of plastic and just embrace that the wider audience that is joining the club.

Last edited:

johnnychicago

Neo Member
I've had an account forever and never logged in, but had to chime in.

I gamed on a 360 for the 1st half of the last generation and than switched over to the ps3 because of the hardware issues I was having with the 360. Common story I'm sure. I gamed on a PS4 and Pro this generation and never touched an Xbox one.

Was willing to try out an Xbox Series X because I thought flight sim looked really good, but the PS5 is what I'm after. I have had absolutely no luck in getting a Series X or PS5 so I caved and got a Series S.

Ironically I do have a 4k smart TV, HDR ETC ETC ETC. I don't regret it one bit. I really love this little console. I will eventually cave and get a PS5, but for now, I really don't care about the shortages. It's plays fantastic, the games look great, and because of Gamepass I already have a massive back log because of all the games I didn't get a chance to play last gen.

I can tell you I won't be getting a Series X now, and this will be my Xbox system for this gen, and I'm fine waiting for PS5's to become readily available.

This is the perfect supplemental system, or a perfect system for PS only fans to dip their toes into the Xbox ecosystem. I think for what it's meant to be, a next gen budget system for kids, or a 2nd system, or for people who just can't afford the $400-$500 system MS really hit a home run with this.

RaZoR No1

75 second boot up time from cold compared to less than 10 seconds. I’d say go for it. The SSD and quick resume make last gen painful IMO.

I have mine hooked up to a 1080p monitor with 144hz support. They’ve just announced EA Play games are getting the FPS boost (Titanfall 2 included) - this thing is fantastic and has more 120fps games already than I think the PS5 will get in its lifetime.
The question still is: Is the upgrade worth 300€ over the Xbone X?

All games except for one atm can be played on the Xbone X too.
For Series exclusive games, I have the XSX.

If my Xbone X would break down, then I would buy a XSS as a second machine.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Personally I’d just sell the One X for €150-€200 to fund it but no skin of my nose 🤷‍♂️

One on eBay with 4 mins left £170 bid plus £10 packaging;

Last edited:
Series s is pretty cool machine imo because it cheap and xbox game pass. In fact, I could see a lot of ps5 owners getting series s just for xbox game pass or when Fallout/Elder scrolls v comes to xbox ( console) exclusively.

TheMan

Series s is pretty cool machine imo because it cheap and xbox game pass. In fact, I could see a lot of ps5 owners getting series s just for xbox game pass or when Fallout/Elder scrolls v comes to xbox ( console) exclusively.
The one issue (and it's a big one) that I've across with using the S as a gamepass box is that the amount of storage you get sucks. 512 gb or whatever doesn't cut it for the bigger AAA games on the service when each one is like 100 gb and the actual usable space is significantly less than the advertised space. So I have to either buy an official expansion (200 dollars!!!) or settle for a usb drive which affords storage but not playable storage, meaning I'd have to still juggle between the xbox hard drive and usb drive.

Not the end of the world but annoying I'll admit.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The one issue (and it's a big one) that I've across with using the S as a gamepass box is that the amount of storage you get sucks. 512 gb or whatever doesn't cut it for the bigger AAA games on the service when each one is like 100 gb and the actual usable space is significantly less than the advertised space. So I have to either buy an official expansion (200 dollars!!!) or settle for a usb drive which affords storage but not playable storage, meaning I'd have to still juggle between the xbox hard drive and usb drive.

I can't really argue with this, if the s has a glaring weakness, it's this. Future revisions of the system might rectify this.
Also it does depend on what games you happen to play, some are very small and it evens out. I tend to keep about 10 games on my s, which works fine for me.

Riky

$MSFT

Two games now, the new Yakuza game doesn't run on Xbox One, my daughter just got a Series S to play it today and retired the One X.

Fair enough. At least the option always existed and it way easier to swap games on and off the primary storage vs re-downloading. On top of that the main customers for the XSS typically aren't buying tons and tons of games. Usually hardcore gamers do that and there is already a device targeting the hardcore.

RaZoR No1

Two games now, the new Yakuza game doesn't run on Xbox One, my daughter just got a Series S to play it today and retired the One X.
You mean Judgment?
Yeah I saw that today too and my SO now wants a series console too 😅
Talk about the timing 🤣
It is currently available for 277€, I will probably buy it now

Top Bottom