• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I caved and bought a Series S

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Looking for a YT vid? But you have all the answers!

Where's your build? Oh wait, you were talking out of your ass and don't have one?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I knew the second TheMan TheMan posted about not wanting to sit at a desk with his gaming PC he'd have the "PC just az gud az console on couch" brigade. I have no idea why but these people are nuts (see above).

They also can never seem to post builds or examples that show how it's just as simple, cost-effective, and efficient as a console. Strange.

^
Never fails

It's not about those guys alone it's like a fucking trend for people to just be fucking horrible in general. Just no room to be nice. EVERYTHING is a war. NO NUANCE in perception. Just fucking ammo to make a quick dig or take. Fuck that.

My brother has the same problem, it's basically impossible to get an XSX here in Germany, while XSS is available most of the time. I told him not to buy an XSS tho. Team Captain Toad.

reksveks

autostart steam in big picture mode if you don`t have a wireless mouse and want to use the controller only. problem solved.....
PCs are exactly as simple or convoluted as you configure them.
Until you need to use a mouse cause there is a stupid prompt to install an update or give permission. It's a death by 100 cuts.

I have done this shit before and got it pretty good for about 18 months before circumstances changed and I ended up playing a gaming pc connected to a monitor with keyboard and mouse.

The Couch + PC ease of use can be reduced but not to a console level yet.

Haggard

Banned
You don't even have to do that - you could simply list out your build, its' dimensions, and set-up that makes it exactly like a console. Super easy right?

But I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're full of shit and don't have one. Prove me wrong!

Do you even know what you are talking about yourself anymore?

- Put steam in windows autostart
- Link your non-steam games to steam if necessary.
- activate "start in big picture mode" in the steam settings
- set up your PC for WOL (i do it via an AVM box)

which build dimensions the pc used has is completely irrelevant as you can build it whichever way you want. Either near console format with an ITX case and a water cooling solution (see yt examples en mass) or with a big tower and cables while having it in a completely different room.....

That is as simple as it can get...and then there`s people like you forcefully constructing nonsensical situations like having to have the pc directly beneath the TV hidden behind crates full of spikes guarded by hyenas infected with rabies with no possibility to remote control it......

Until you need to use a mouse cause there is a stupid prompt to install an update or give permission. It's a death by 100 cuts.

I have done this shit before and got it pretty good for about 18 months before circumstances changed and I ended up playing a gaming pc connected to a monitor with keyboard and mouse.

The Couch + PC ease of use can be reduced but not to a console level yet.
You realize that you can suppress notifications in windows and that steam will never ask for something that would require a mouse in big picture mode?

Last edited:

Senua

Oh man, I hope all these people are trolls. Otherwise NeoGAF is just a playground full of 12 year old console warriors running amok. Imagine being over 12 years old and post the shit we see for months. Duality, bitterness, just overal negativity. Everyone trying to throw shade and one up the *other side*.

I have a feeling most of them are 25+ in age.

Fucking sad.
I am 12.

Derktron

Banned
FK8

xQnQJN6.jpg
gEhJZkI.jpg
Sexy ass car, what a beautiful car

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
We are not all elite.
Just imagine posting on a videogame enthusiast forum you got a nice console FOR YOUR INDIVIDUAL STANDARDS to play your games on and realise it's not the superior version of said console.

C R I N G E

SMH. Fuck it. Majority rules, right?
Enjoy your fucking non sense comparison battles to feel good about your sad selves.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
lmao, this was straight up murder, and I have my PC hooked up to a 50 inch and need glasses.

Btw, OP, enjoy your S. Capable machine, good deal for the price. Xbox fans that feel personally attacked when you say you bought one are just mad they had to spend twice the money and have no real next-gen experiences yet.

Flip it later if you feel like you're missing out.
I was just joking around lol. I love Predator :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Do you even know what you are talking about yourself anymore?

- Put steam in windows autostart
- Link your non-steam games to steam if necessary.
- activate "start in big picture mode" in the steam settings
- set up your PC for WOL (i do it via an AVM box)

which build dimensions the pc used has is completely irrelevant as you can build it whichever way you want. Either near console format with an ITX case and a water cooling solution (see yt examples en mass) or with a big tower and cables while having it in a completely different room.....

That is as simple as it can get...and then there`s people like you forcefully constructing nonsensical situations like having to have the pc directly beneath the TV hidden behind crates full of spikes guarded by hyenas infected with rabies with no possibility to remote control it......

You realize that you can suppress notifications in windows and that steam will never ask for something that would require a mouse in big picture mode?

Yep - exactly as I thought - you don't have one of the magical ITX PCs that runs just like a console and fits in an entertainment center - you're just talking out of your ass.

Funny how you quote the other guy pointing out what I did with other bullshit "just suppress this notification, turn off updates, use a mouse - yeah it's totally the same".

Fuck off already. Go talk about the pretend PC you don't have on /r/pcmasterrace

Haggard

Banned
Yep - exactly as I thought - you don't have one of the magical ITX PCs that runs just like a console and fits in an entertainment center - you're just talking out of your ass.

Funny how you quote the other guy pointing out what I did with other bullshit "just suppress this notification, turn off updates, use a mouse - yeah it's totally the same".

Fuck off already. Go talk about the pretend PC you don't have on /r/pcmasterrace

you absolutely can´t get any dumber than you already are anymore.
Go out on the street and ask someone to proove that cars exist, if there`s a god that person will strike you down where you stand to save our genepool.....

Last edited:
you absolutely can´t get any dumber than you already are anymore.
Go out on the street and ask someone to proove that Ferraris exist, if there`s a god that person will strike you down where you stand to save our genepool.....

You absolutely have nothing left but to flail around and talk pitiful shit.

You are desperately trying to prove your jacked up gaming PC frankenstein is even remotely close to being as simple and efficient as a console and it's not. You even admit you have to use workarounds, suppress notifications, use a wireless mouse, run an AVM box, etc, etc, etc...

Given that I have all the equipment you do and I know damn well it's not the same, I can only come back to my original conclusion: all your eggs are in the PC basket and you can't afford/don't want to buy a console... so you flail around on a forum trying to prove your set-up is equivalent. It's not. Stop lying.

Haggard

Banned
You absolutely have nothing left but to flail around and talk pitiful shit.

You are desperately trying to prove your jacked up gaming PC frankenstein is even remotely close to being as simple and efficient as a console and it's not. You even admit you have to use workarounds, suppress notifications, use a wireless mouse, run an AVM box, etc, etc, etc...

Given that I have all the equipment you do and I know damn well it's not the same, I can only come back to my original conclusion: all your eggs are in the PC basket and you can't afford/don't want to buy a console... so you flail around on a forum trying to prove your set-up is equivalent. It's not. Stop lying.
You don`t have the slightest clue what you are talking about, nerver had, as was obvious from the beginning with your fabricated issue-situations. All you do is try to sidestep with strawman arguments denying the existence of standard features and moving the goalposts around with every new posting......
You´re as pathetic as it gets....

Last edited:

reksveks

I do know that and I still have to use my mouse to allow games to do its shit on first installation like port management or installing any required libraries.

Also I haven't yet found a nice way to add gamepass games into big picture mode but I need to look at GoG Galaxy as I know it's smarter at picking up those games.

Haggard

Banned
I do know that and I still have to use my mouse to allow games to do its shit on first installation like port management or installing any required libraries.
I think it`s been a decade for me since I´ve had to manually allow or trigger any library installations for games on Windows. I´m almost exclusively using GOG and Steam though.

Also I haven't yet found a nice way to add gamepass games into big picture mode but I need to look at GoG Galaxy as I know it's smarter at picking up those games.
GOG unfortunately does not have a big picture mode, still. I´d check if it`s possible with steam if couchplay is the intention.

Last edited:
You don`t have the slightest clue what you are talking about, nerver had, as was obvious from the beginning with your fabricated issue-situations. All you do is try to sidestep with strawman arguments denying the existence of standard features and moving the goalposts around with every new posting......
You´re as pathetic as it gets....

You've called me dumb, pathetic, implied I lied about working in IT (which is hilarious considering my position in real life), and done just about everything else... except for post any information on your magical PC build that functions just like a console without headache.

You're full of shit and shitting up this man's thread for no reason more than "PC iz jus az gud as console on couch ur stupid".

Haggard

Banned
You've called me dumb, pathetic, implied I lied about working in IT (which is hilarious considering my position in real life), and done just about everything else... except for post any information on your magical PC build that functions just like a console without headache.

You're full of shit and shitting up this man's thread for no reason more than "PC iz jus az gud as console on couch ur stupid".
Imagine claiming to be an IT guy and still being too stupid or at least pretending to be too stupid to understand WOL+Windows Autostart + Steam Big Picture mode.
Hilarious.

I´ve seen more elegant trolls, really.

Imagine claiming to be an IT guy and still being too stupid or at least pretending to be too stupid to understand WOL+Windows Autostart + Steam Big Picture mode.
Hilarious.

I´ve seen more elegant trolls, really.

Imagine claiming to know what someone does in real life, lying about what they said in a thread that anyone can read through, and then endlessly insulting them for no reason.

Wildly pathetic. Possibly the worst I've seen on this forum, which is saying something.

Oh and you still never proved even a single point about a PC build you have (lie) that is equivalent to a console experience.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Imagine claiming to know what someone does in real life, lying
If someone claims to be a mathematician but can`t solve an easy equation that`s kind of fishy.
YOu´re as uneducated as it gets concerning basic Windows OS and MB functionalities which are over a decade old. So if you`re an IT guy after all....oh geez I hope I never hire you.

If you don´t think clicking on a button and ending up directly in your controller-navigatable game library a few seconds later is similar to what a console does...well, what is there left to say.

Last edited:
If someone claims to be a mathematician but can`t solve an easy equation that`s kind of fishy.
YOu´re as uneducated as it gets concerning basic Windows OS and MB functionalities which are over a decade old. So if you`re an IT guy after all....oh geez I hope I never hire you.

You can't stop talking shit without backup, can you? Instead of talking shit and lying, quote me.

You can't prove what you claim I said (because you're lying) and you can't post any proof of a PC you own that is equivalent to a console on the couch (because you're lying).

If I didn't feel bad about shitting up this guy's "yay new console" thread I'd go a bit harder, but man, you're a fucking clown.

RaZoR No1

Still thinking if it makes sense to upgrade a One X to a Series S for the second TV (only 1080P TV + already own a Series X for Main TV)

JackMcGunns

Banned
Hopefully, you can sell it for not too much of a loss when you get a proper next-gen console. You should be pissed at your friends. Friends don't let friends buy a Series S.

Dude, the CPU is just as powerful as the PS5 and Series X, plus it has an SSD. 60fps and even 120fps in some games. Gaming goodness awaits!

Haggard

Banned
You can't stop talking shit without backup, can you? Instead of talking shit and lying, quote me.

You can't prove what you claim I said (because you're lying) and you can't post any proof of a PC you own that is equivalent to a console on the couch (because you're lying).

If I didn't feel bad about shitting up this guy's "yay new console" thread I'd go a bit harder, but man, you're a fucking clown.
You seem to be talking to yourself most of the time. Guess you hear voices, too? That may explain the imaginary IT job.

Click on a button, land in your game library a few seconds later with your controller in your hand. Toootally different from a console.......

tenor.gif

Last edited:
I haven't had an Xbox since buying a modded 360 a long ass time ago, but I just picked up a Series S and used the conversion trick to get 3 years of gamepass cheap. I haven't been able to get a PS5 yet (not that there's anything on it that I really want to play at this point) and I wanted to see what all the rage is with gamepass, so I'm looking forward to it coming in next week.

MS has build both consoles to different specifications. It's similar to how super bike manufacturers make machines.

AfelOXJ.jpg

This is Yamaha R1. A 1000cc, 200 bhp monster. Weighs just 200kgs so attains warp speeds at just a whisk of throttle.

xVQcyot.jpg

This is Yamaha R6. It gets similar performing chassis, suspension, brake package, just a scaled down 600cc, 140 bhp engine.

Both are track tools and you choose depending on track you want to use, provided you are capable of riding both to their potential. If it's a tight, winding track, you choose 600. If it's a wide, open F1 class track, you get 1000cc one.

There is nothing casual about either machines.

Series S is specced for use on 1080p screens.

Series x is for 4k.

This is how you should choose. Not by availability or cause X is superior or any other nonsense.

Sony didn't release a 1080p machine cause they want to push 4k screens too.

anaphase

I had been waiting for a series X, but reading recent news reports it sounds like shortages may very well last through the year and beyond. All attempts to buy online have failed, and I'm not about to pay some smug asshole 150 to 200 plus over retail to buy one second hand. I lucked out and a local target had series S's in stock so I bit.

Probably gave up too soon. I was able to get a Series X (for my son, I already had one from launch) and a PS5 for me within a week and I only really just followed the twitter accounts that give you stock info. Actual leg work, about an hour and that includes going to pick up at best buy.

Fredrik

You nailed it on the first try, good job!

I have to hit the power button on the PC. So that means moving from my comfy chair, around my floor speakers and sub, and powering on a PC, and then hoping it comes back from sleep without crashing... vs. sitting down and hitting the PS button on my console.

TOTALLY the same.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

I am glad you assisted me in realizing why PC master racers get up in their feelings about people saying the console experience is easier - you can't afford both!

It makes so much sense now.
Sleep mode? Pfff my PC is always on, always updated, always ready for action, always at high framerates at ultra graphics.
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF

And I honestly don’t understand what people do with their PCs to get them so unstable. Years go by between the crashes for me. 🤷‍♂️

But couch gaming is still for consoles in my world. Gamepass for cheap games. Xbox for the couch. PC for the desk. Oculus Quest 2 for awesomeness.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I had been waiting for a series X, but reading recent news reports it sounds like shortages may very well last through the year and beyond. All attempts to buy online have failed, and I'm not about to pay some smug asshole 150 to 200 plus over retail to buy one second hand. I lucked out and a local target had series S's in stock so I bit.

NOw, I do have a decent gaming PC with pc gamepass, but my issue is that I work from home. So, at the end of a 10+ hour day typing stuff and making calls, sitting at the computer to play games sounds terrible. But the S will let me chill with gamepass on my TV. Plus I can probably sell this thing (at cost, I'm not a hypocrite) if I regret it.

Anyone else have an S? What do you think of it? I pick mine up tonight.
I was lucky to get an X the day it went on pre-order. I definitely feel your pain when it comes to working from home. GOing from a PC for 10 hours to my other PC to game is sometimes just unbearable. Sitting down on the couch and playing some Outriders is sometimes just the break you need brother.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Still thinking if it makes sense to upgrade a One X to a Series S for the second TV (only 1080P TV + already own a Series X for Main TV)
75 second boot up time from cold compared to less than 10 seconds. I’d say go for it. The SSD and quick resume make last gen painful IMO.

I have mine hooked up to a 1080p monitor with 144hz support. They’ve just announced EA Play games are getting the FPS boost (Titanfall 2 included) - this thing is fantastic and has more 120fps games already than I think the PS5 will get in its lifetime.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
because he'd rather buy a locked down and less powerful machine because playing that doesnt remind him of excel and powerpoint!!!!

PIyjQdk.jpg

Listen to Senua Senua OP. No one with disposable income would think about buying a second grade console to put in his livingroom to play games. NO ONE. Series X is where's at homie! You fucking peasant you. Trying to play games on an Inferior system, how dare you! Maybe try Playstation, they have better exclusives

I think the Series S is a perfectly fine console for a lot of people. I'm always astonished when I am at the store or somewhere like Bestbuy and people are still sorting through the DVD's... That tells me a lot of people just aren't ready or even concerned about 4K. Some don't even care about 1080p. I found this article helpful in reading about the differences between the One X, Series S, and the Series X. It's from last November but basically breaks down everything in honest terms. Personally I'd rather save up for a Series X but would be thrilled if someone randomly bought me a Series S for free. Any takers?! 🤣

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Imagine being over 12 years old and post the shit we see for months.

I have a feeling most of them are 25+ in age.
25 is an old Zoomer. Zoomers don't use forums. What we're dealing with here is Millennials and GenX'ers. Full-on 30-45yr-old males, married/divorced with children.

Last edited:

Senua

Listen to Senua Senua OP. No one with disposable income would think about buying a second grade console to put in his livingroom to play games. NO ONE. Series X is where's at homie! You fucking peasant you. Trying to play games on an Inferior system, how dare you! Maybe try Playstation, they have better exclusives
Dude what ya chatting, he has a gaming PC, not series X needed. But it reminds him of work!! waaahh! i can't plug it in me tv cos it's still reminds me of the machine that i work on!!! help!!!!

Nice knowing you. 13 is the minimum age to sign up for a website. See ya on the banned page.

Snitches get stitches bitch, catch me outside how bout DAT

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Dude what ya chatting, he has a gaming PC, not series X needed. But it reminds him of work!! waaahh! i can't plug it in me tv cos it's still reminds me of the machine that i work on!!! help!!!!

Snitches get stitches bitch, catch me outside how bout DAT
Help? Bro you even read the OP? Fella mentioned he got a S because shit was comfortable for him. You got mind tricked talking like you do.

Didn't even read that second response.. Come on man,.. i'm sure it was in good faith. For me as well. <3

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm totally with you, OP. I had to connect my PC to my TV just so I could play from the couch, but I know I'm in the minority that likes dealing with PC things (I mean, I actually don't like oversimplification sometimes). I'll get an Xbox Series S cause I couldn't get a GPU at a good price and it also comes with SSD, fast CPU and good enough GPU for next gen so it's gonna be the best deal I can find until the crypto-cataclysm ends

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Ah, there it is.

I asked you (or anyone defending the "PC iz just az gud as console super ez") to show me a build that:

Is just as power, space, heat, and price efficient as a PS5, for equal, or even remotely close, price.

Also please show me one in action. I, as a dumb IT guy who doesn't know how to computer, would love to see this magical PC that operates *exactly* like a console without fail for the same price (again, even close in price).

Until then I'll consider y'all wrong as I did before.
I'll let you answer you:
If you can't afford *snip* a PC to your TV *snip* be my guest.
Maybe just accept your L and move on. Makes you look less foolish.

Last edited:

Kappa

Congrats! I was in the same position, beefcake pc but since ive been wfh ive come to hate being at my desk. Series s is so convenient and small

yamaci17

MS has build both consoles to different specifications. It's similar to how super bike manufacturers make machines.

AfelOXJ.jpg

This is Yamaha R1. A 1000cc, 200 bhp monster. Weighs just 200kgs so attains warp speeds at just a whisk of throttle.

xVQcyot.jpg

This is Yamaha R6. It gets similar performing chassis, suspension, brake package, just a scaled down 600cc, 140 bhp engine.

Both are track tools and you choose depending on track you want to use, provided you are capable of riding both to their potential. If it's a tight, winding track, you choose 600. If it's a wide, open F1 class track, you get 1000cc one.

There is nothing casual about either machines.

Series S is specced for use on 1080p screens.

Series x is for 4k.

This is how you should choose. Not by availability or cause X is superior or any other nonsense.

Sony didn't release a 1080p machine cause they want to push 4k screens too.
yet, the reality is different

ps5 and series x are 1200/1300/1440p (valhalla, cyberpunk)

series s on the other hand will mostly hover around 640/720/900p (valhalla, cyberpunk... and medium XD)

directml can somehow make sense with 1300-1400p (thats an high enough pixel count to upscale properly) but neither fidelityfx nor dlss is magic. they simply dont work good at 1080p (720p interal resolution).

in short, there's no redemption for series s in my point of view

most people are unable to comprehend the huge difference between these consoles and most will justify it for being 300 dollars.

let's ask like this:

a rtx rtx 2070 is roughly...3 times faster than a 1050ti. which would you choose?

let's say you have two options,

300 dollar pc with 5500xt gpu
500 dollar pc with 6700xt gpu

no one with their right mind would sacrifice 200 dollars to get such a huge downgrade

but when it's branded under a "console" name... things get different somehow. people find all kinds of way to justify it.

let's not kid ourselves, even if you have a 1080p screen, series x is superior. why?

for one, it will run the games at 1200-1300p if you want to enjoy 60 fps. this will give a nice bit of supersampling even if youre playing with a 1080p screen. supersampling provides much better image quality when temporal anti aliasing is used (just go check red dead redemption 2. use 1.25 or 1.5x resolution scaling. observe how much it improves image quality)

on the other end of the spectrum, you're getting 720-900p with a 1080p screen.

why sacrifice supersampling quality and actually get lower resolution than your native monitor resolution?

this is the argument i hate the most. the argument that series x is not fit for 1080p screens and series s is good for that.

just... no. i would prefer getting 1.25-2x res scaling with series x, instead of getting %70-90 resolution downscaling.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
...my issue is that I work from home. So, at the end of a 10+ hour day typing stuff and making calls, sitting at the computer to play games sounds terrible. But the S will let me chill with gamepass on my TV....
This is why I’ll never go back to pc gaming. I just don’t want to deal with any of it after working on PCs all day for work.

I want to play a game for 30mins and get back to my life

Hinedorf

Banned
Holy shit the amount of hate for buying a console. Hated by the Microsoft elites, hated by the financial elites, just altogether hated.

While my PC is superior to either PS5/XS'whatever anybody who wants to knock XS + gamepass as not being a super awesome gaming option is out of their mind. You don't need to have the best to have a great time, folks need to chill out on that stuff.

Microsoft Console w/gamepass is a great option regardless of hardware

ManaByte

Gold Member
Holy shit the amount of hate for buying a console. Hated by the Microsoft elites, hated by the financial elites, just altogether hated.

While my PC is superior to either PS5/XS'whatever anybody who wants to knock XS + gamepass as not being a super awesome gaming option is out of their mind. You don't need to have the best to have a great time, folks need to chill out on that stuff.

Microsoft Console w/gamepass is a great option regardless of hardware

There are some people very scared of a $300 console that can play next-gen games.

yamaci17

yeah so scared of a console that runs a crossgen game in valhalla at 720p 60 fps

it's such a bad console that it runs cyberpunk at 1080p 30 fps because it would need to render 540p to reach 60 fps (since it's brother series x does 1200-1300p 60 fps)

it shouldnt've dropped ANYTHING below 1080p. CLEAR as that. it does not DIP to 720p in ac: valhalla. it practically runs 720p-810p MOST of the time. you can check gameplay videos, it only gets to 900p in light scenes and only gets to 1080p... probably when you look at sky. yeah, sky 1080p gaming. so scared of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom