• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I caved and bought a Series S

Alan Wake

Here in Sweden rumour has it the Series X will be in stock in just a few weeks at the most. Not sure about the quantity, of course. Is it so much worse elsewhere?

SkylineRKR

Awesome, seems like a nice console.

Do people know if the series S is more powerful than an Xbox one X? I think my One X is dying and I can't find a series x.

Yes and no.

S is MUCH faster, it has barely any load times in most games. I can also quick resume.

When games are S enhanced, its more powerful than One X. Gears 5 runs better, shorter load times, has 120hz mp etc. SamSho is 120hz on S. Tony Hawk looks much better on S. RE Village will also be better on S, at higher res and fps, no load times and with RT. But classics revert to One S mode when booted on the S, significantly worse than One X. However, a game like Prey is 900p (bc of One S) but 60fps and barely load times on Series S and 1200p something 30fps and laggy and ridiculous load times on One X. So S is still a better experience for these. But unpatched games, like FFXII are 30fps on Series S and 60 on One X.

Last edited:

Hestar69

I just got one off amazon last night myself! I wish I could get the X, but this will do for now till I win the lotto,lol. Enjoy it man!

Haggard

Banned
You must have missed the reply literally above this where the guy is like "just get up and hit the power button on the PC". I'll just hop skip and jump over my 4" floor speakers and sub and go behind my entertainment centers. NP.

And then you talk about streaming to a PC? Yeah, that's a high quality experience, there.

Bottom line is no amount of lying to yourself will make having a big ass PC behind your entertainment center that you have to navigate to for an issue "easy". It's nowhere near as quick, intuitive, space-saving, and simple as a console, and never will be. That's why people have gaming desks for their PCs, and sit on the couch for their consoles.

If you can't afford both and want to lie to yourself that running a PC to your TV is "just as good", be my guest.
I guess you`ve never heard of ITX and WOL (wake on lan), have you?
Setup is more complex but you can reach the same level of comfort with a PC if you actually wish to dumb it down that much. I press a button on my smartphone and my PC boots right into GOG/STeam fullscreen mode if I want to.

The only one lying to himself seems to be you, or maybe you simply don`t know better.

Last edited:

SCB3

I got one as I mainly game on PS5/Switch and PC, but I prefer having a console sometimes as well, plus I'm not 100% committed to 4k Monitors yet, so 1440p or 1080p is currently fine for me, so far I've been enjoying it, the faster load times and Game Pass make it good,

I'm sure I'll pick up the next iteration of the Series X, but I'm good for now

NullZ3r0

Banned
My S is for the wife and kid up front while my X is in my office/man cave. S is a great little console and is a huge upgrade over the One S from a visual and quality of life standpoint.

It got me by for a few weeks while I waited for the X to be available.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well, just using the teraflop metric that Xbox fans tend to address often, the One X is 6 teraflops and the Series S is 4 teraflops.
Mrw GIF

Harlock

Is a nice little machine. Really wish that games like Gears 4 had segmentes to install and uninstall, because big games eat a lot of space for a small storage.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Is a nice little machine. Really wish that games like Gears 4 had segmentes to install and uninstall, because big games eat a lot of space for a small storage.
Agreed, everytime I think about wanting to replay Doom '16 I think about that giant install that is mostly made up of that MP that I barely ever touched.

We've had a few examples here in the last few years where they let us choose what we want to install, which is a good start.

If this thing had a disc drive at $350 or less I would be all over it. Since all the 4k and fps boosts you get with series X aren't as important to me. As well as the fact I like the series S size better. But without a drive, I gotta wait out a series X .
I understand why you caved though, I can't believe we are 6 months into the launch and you can't find a series x or ps5 without buying an expensive bundle or paying a scalper or getting very lucky . But I will wait it out .

RScrewed

Ahhh, the ol' Predator-avatar-PC-gamer-mocking-other-PC-gamer-who-wants-to-play-on-the-couch meme. It's not 1987 anymore. Predator came out 34 years ago grandpa. You probably have the PC hooked up to the 50 inch TV so your bifocals can see the small font.

lmao, this was straight up murder, and I have my PC hooked up to a 50 inch and need glasses.

Btw, OP, enjoy your S. Capable machine, good deal for the price. Xbox fans that feel personally attacked when you say you bought one are just mad they had to spend twice the money and have no real next-gen experiences yet.

Flip it later if you feel like you're missing out.

reksveks

Setup is more complex but you can reach the same level of comfort with a PC if you actually wish to dumb it down that much. I press a button on my smartphone and my PC boots right into GOG/STeam fullscreen mode if I want to.

The only one lying to himself seems to be you, or maybe you simply don`t know better.
Personally did the whole xmbc + autologin + autohotkeys stuff ages ago but it's still not as easy as a console for couch gaming. I think Microsoft should a proper xbox mode for pc with a proper big picture mode.

Haggard

Banned
Personally did the whole xmbc + autologin + autohotkeys stuff ages ago but it's still not as easy as a console for couch gaming. I think Microsoft should a proper xbox mode for pc with a proper big picture mode.
autostart steam in big picture mode if you don`t have a wireless mouse and want to use the controller only. problem solved.....
PCs are exactly as simple or convoluted as you configure them.

Last edited:

CS Lurker

I still get impressed with the compact form factor of the series S. It's so easy to take it with me to a family/friend's house or in a business trip.

I just love the performance it deliveries in such a small size. Plus, it's really quiet.

Speaking of money, I actually don't even have a house at all, I'm a tramp.

I see NeoGAF on a monitor in a computer shop window thats nearby my tent, which is under the motorway. I saved up money from begging for a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and I connect them to the computers when the staff aren't looking to reply to good people like yourself or maybe send a few gifs.

The funny thing is my tent is also filled with giant speakers I have to step over when entering and trying to get to my sleeping bag, might seem inconvenient but its how I've always done it, can't change it now.

Ok that mental image was hilarious +1

You really keep trying to bring money into some equation which I find hilarious. You're pathetic.

giphy.gif

I own my house, I own my car, got a shit ton in savings, have money in crypto and different stocks and I have literally 0 debt, I have a healthy baby girl and a great marriage. Not hurting for anything. You keep bringing up money like it's the only factor which shows how sad your life really is. I called you out on your bullshit and you just keep talking about money. You sound foolish and ignorant. Stick to politics bud, you might get some support their...
Sounds like you're doing well enough to have a dedicated gaming desk and a nice PS5 / XSX for your clean and neat entertainment center like I do! Welcome to the club, friend :)

I've tried just about every combination under the Sun. If something has come along in the past 2 years that changed the game, I missed it. Otherwise it will never be as simple as a Sony PS5 plugged into a Sony TV. I hit button, I am in game in under 15 seconds.

Last edited:

Harlock

Coming from the base PS4 I find the Series S really good. Of course Game Pass is the main thing, but the system overall is fast. If you play indie games and few big games at same time is a good hardware. Doom Eternal was super nice to just click a button and in 3 seconds be back to where I last played the game, for example.

Haggard

Banned
I've tried just about every combination under the Sun.
Considering you were talking about "big ass PCs" while ITX builds have been a thing for as long as I can think and you didn`t even know WOL which also has been around forever that is either a blatant lie or you used really, really shitty information sources.

.Otherwise it will never be as simple as a Sony PS5 plugged into a Sony TV. I hit button, I am in game in under 15 seconds.
I click a button on my smartphone, pick up my controller or mouse depending on what I want to play and have my steam library in front of me ~10-20s later. Setup is a one time 30min effort and after that it`s the same but with much better hardware.
There is not a single valid argument contra Couch-Gaming-PCs besides the price/ease of initial setup.

Last edited:
Considering you are were talking about "big ass PCs" while ITX builds have been a thing for as long as I can think and you didn`t even know WOL which also has been around forever that is either a blatant lie or you really have shitty information sources.

I click a button on my smartphone, pick up my controller and have my steam library in front of me ~10-20s later. Setup is a one time effort and after that it`s the same......

Ok going with ITX builds being just like a console (they're not - they're bigger, hotter, and draw more power - which is already an issue in a clean / tight entertainment center)... spend $1500 on a smaller build that is less efficient for... what?

My PS5 won't compete with my full size gaming PC... but you'd have to build a fairly gnarly ITX to have it run with the optimization/smoothness of PS5/XSX. WOL is spotty at best and if you have a set-up that works - more power to you. I work in IT and got annoyed with lag/bugginess in my set-up. That was a few years ago. Maybe that and your "smartphone app" (no clue what that would be) is finally up to par.

That being said - you're still lying to yourself if you say your perfect ITX set-up is anywhere near as cost efficient, simple, quick, intuitive, space-saving, and heat/power efficient as a console. It's not true. No matter how close you get the experience to a console. You're comparing an expertly designed purpose-built piece of hardware with a bunch of workarounds to make a home-build *almost* as intuitive.

Haggard

Banned
Ok going with ITX builds being just like a console (they're not - they're bigger, hotter, and draw more power - which is already an issue in a clean / tight entertainment center)... spend $1500 on a smaller build that is less efficient for... what?
A high end gaming pc draws more power than a console while also putting out x-times the performance, gee who would have thought......
And again you also seem to have missed the last decade in PCs if you think that heat/noise is an issue with ITX builds. And longer cables also seem to be an unknwon thing to you..... :messenger_tears_of_joy:
My PS5 won't compete with my full size gaming PC... but you'd have to build a fairly gnarly ITX to have it run with the optimization/smoothness of PS5/XSX. WOL is spotty at best and if you have a set-up that works - more power to you. I work in IT and got annoyed with lag/bugginess in my set-up. That was a few years ago. Maybe that and your "smartphone app" (no clue what that would be) is finally up to par.
This is getting embarrassing with your mental gymnastics about smoothness issues with PCs which is nothing but grasping for straws in a long lost argument.
10 minutes ago you didn`t even know WOL and suddenly you`re an IT guy and claim it`s spotty. Well I´m a software architect mself and have used that "spotty" functionality for over a decade now and never had a single issue after a correct setup. If anything the issue with most standard PC systems is the user in front of it.
Standard WOL functionality nowadays works with every primitive magic package flawlessly.
That being said - you're still lying to yourself if you say your perfect ITX set-up is anywhere near as cost efficient, simple, quick, intuitive, space-saving, and heat/power efficient as a console. It's not true. No matter how close you get the experience to a console. You're comparing an expertly designed purpose-built piece of hardware with a bunch of workarounds to make a home-build *almost* as intuitive.
Nonsense....and you know that very well. You just don´t want to admit how stupid your arguments in this thread were about having to hop over your sound equipment to reach your "big ass" PC..... Just utter nonsense from start to finish.

Last edited:
I broke down and paid the scalpers their blood money for a Series X after hearing the chip shortage was going to last another year and a half.

Feels a little shitty, but oh well, at least it was only $720 total as opposed to a few months ago.

A high end gaming pc draws more power than a console while also putting out x-times the performance, gee who would have thought......
And again you also seem to have missed the last decade in PCs if you think that heat/noise is an issue with ITX builds. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is getting embarrassing with your mental gymnastics about smoothness issues with PCs which is nothing but grasping for straws in a long lost argument.
10 minutes ago you didn`t even know WOL and suddenly you`re an IT guy and claim it`s spotty. Well I´m a software architect mself and have used that "spotty" functionality for over a decade now and never had a single issue. If anything the issue with most standard PC systems is the user in front of it.
Standard WOL functionality nowadays works with every primitive magic package flawlessly.

Nonsense....and you know that very well.

Yeah I didn't know about wake on LAN... now you just sound like a disingenuous jackass.

Maybe in faerie tale land WOL and PC workarounds to make them more console-like is perfect... but I've yet to see it. If you have a video of your set-up I'd love to check it out.

Also while you're at it, show me the "nonsense" I speak - post an ITX build that will fit in a normal entertainment center and matches the PS5's performance for the same price - hell, even twice the price. I'd like to see it, genuinely.

Haggard

Banned
Yeah I didn't know about wake on LAN... now you just sound like a disingenuous jackass.
Says the person who claims that hopping over sound equipment is necessary to reach some "big ass pc"....... :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also while you're at it, show me the "nonsense" I speak - post an ITX build that will fit in a normal entertainment center and matches the PS5's performance for the same price - hell, even twice the price. I'd like to see it, genuinely.
you`re the only one that ever brought "price" into this which is literally the only real divider here, which no one ever doubted btw.......as for builds, YT is full of ITX rtx3080/3090 builds.....
More strawmen arguments from you.....

Last edited:
you`re the only one that ever brought "price" into this......
More strawmen arguments from you.....

Ah, there it is.

I asked you (or anyone defending the "PC iz just az gud as console super ez") to show me a build that:

Is just as power, space, heat, and price efficient as a PS5, for equal, or even remotely close, price.

Also please show me one in action. I, as a dumb IT guy who doesn't know how to computer, would love to see this magical PC that operates *exactly* like a console without fail for the same price (again, even close in price).

Until then I'll consider y'all wrong as I did before.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm with Quantum 100% on this one, Haggard just sounds like another person demanding everyone thinks like him and doesn't value thier time / ease of use, not to mention the cost/price performance issues that are even worse with high gpu prices. Not the first time on this board a so called "pc expert" has come running it to "save the day" for someone who already knows what it's like to run a pc vs a console.

Haggard

Banned
Ah, there it is.

I asked you (or anyone defending the "PC iz just az gud as console super ez") to show me a build that:

Is just as power, space, heat, and price efficient as a PS5, for equal, or even remotely close, price.

Also please show me one in action. I, as a dumb IT guy who doesn't know how to computer, would love to see this magical PC that operates *exactly* like a console without fail for the same price (again, even close in price).

Until then I'll consider y'all wrong as I did before.
You lost the argument long ago, now you just drag the goalposts over the field.
Just weak.

xiseerht

. So, at the end of a 10+ hour day typing stuff and making calls, sitting at the computer to play games sounds terrible.
This is literally the main reason why I console game and don't really game on my PC. Even though I have gaming PC as well. That is why I love game pass and the synergy between gaming on my Series X and my PC when I want too.

Haggard

Banned
Yet another reply from you with zero examples.

Prove the shit you're talking or admit you're just full of shit.
So you`re telling me that I have to "prove" to a wannabe IT guy that WOL exists, that steam has a "big picture" function and ITX builds are a thing...when all of that is literally 3 seconds away from a Google/YT search and/or has been around for 10+ years.

Uh-huh.
Talk about a seriously sore loser.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Try trolling someone else .

Last edited:
So you`re telling me that I have to "prove" to a wannabe IT guy that WOL exists, that steam has a "big picture" function and ITX builds are a thing...when all of that is literally 3 seconds away from a Google/YT search?

Uh-huh.
Talk about a seriously sore loser......

Third post. Still no examples. Now you're just flailing around talking shit in some dude's XSS thread... lmao. Also straight up lying (not once did I say I didn't know about WOL, big picture, or ITX - I just said they're nowhere near as efficient or simple as a console).

Either show some examples of the magical "PC that is just like a console and performs just as well and fits in an entertainment center for a reasonable cost" or fuck off somewhere.

Last edited:

TheMan

So far so good. Picked it up last night. I’d say downloads seems slower than on PS5 but fuck it, I had fun with forza 7.

I have Destiny 2 beyond light, fo76, and halo 5 waiting to be played thanks to gamepass.
Major downside so far is the hard drive size- already full. Might need to fix that this weekend

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Either show some examples of the magical "PC that is just like a console and performs just as well and fits in an entertainment center for a reasonable cost" or fuck off somewhere.
I´ll consider looking for a YT vid if you post a video where you hop over your sound equipment to reach that magical "big ass" hot air spewing PC behind your drywall......
You´re just a troll and not even a funny one....:messenger_poop:

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Enjoy the console man, There are a large number of Series S haters here. ( Xbox in general to be honest).

Oh man, I hope all these people are trolls. Otherwise NeoGAF is just a playground full of 12 year old console warriors running amok. Imagine being over 12 years old and post the shit we see for months. Duality, bitterness, just overal negativity. Everyone trying to throw shade and one up the *other side*.

I have a feeling most of them are 25+ in age.

Fucking sad.

Last edited:
I´ll consider looking for a YT vid if you post a video where you hop over your sound equipment to reach that magical "big ass" hot air spewing PC behind your drywall......
You´re just a troll and not even a funny one....:messenger_poop:

Looking for a YT vid? But you have all the answers!

Where's your build? Oh wait, you were talking out of your ass and don't have one?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Oh man, I hope all these people are trolls. Otherwise NeoGAF is just a playground full of 12 year old console warriors running amok. Imagine being over 12 years old and post the shit we see for months. Duality, bitterness, just overal negativity. Everyone trying to throw shade and one up the *other side*. I have a feeling most of them are 25+ in age. Fucking sad.

I knew the second TheMan TheMan posted about not wanting to sit at a desk with his gaming PC he'd have the "PC just az gud az console on couch" brigade. I have no idea why but these people are nuts (see above).

They also can never seem to post builds or examples that show how it's just as simple, cost-effective, and efficient as a console. Strange.

because he'd rather buy a locked down and less powerful machine because playing that doesnt remind him of excel and powerpoint!!!!

PIyjQdk.jpg

^
Never fails

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Looking for a YT vid? But you have all the answers!

Where's your build? Oh wait, you were talking out of your ass and don't have one?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

If you thought I´d post private pictures on an internet board to prove that features that have been standard for a good decade "exist" while 3rd party material is plastered all over yt then you`re even dumber than I thought...and that`s quite a feat at this point.
Imagine having lost so bad to have to ask for "proof" that Windows Autostart and "Start Steam in big picture mode" exist......it doesn`t get any more pathetic than that, or at least my imagination is not suffient to imagine something worse....

Last edited:
If you thought I´d post private pictures on an internet board to prove that features that have been standard for a good decade "exist" while 3rd party material is plastered all over yt then you`re even dumber than I thought...and that`s quite a feat at this point.

You don't even have to do that - you could simply list out your build, its' dimensions, and set-up that makes it exactly like a console. Super easy right?

But I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're full of shit and don't have one. Prove me wrong!

Top Bottom