• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I caved and bought a Series S

Aion002

It's a great console, I have it since the launch week and I am enjoying it a lot. I don't really care about graphics so for me it's excellent, the loadings are fast, the console is quiet and the even though the storage is limited, I have more than enough games installed on it.

I will never understand why some people like to shit on it, it is a well built console with an excellent price and availability (specially in Brazil) that delivers a solid video game experience.

brooklyn nine-nine jake peralta GIF by Fox TV

Great Hair

Banned
Dj Waffle GIF
Drunk Zach Galifianakis GIF

XSS
$300 + 7x years GPU = $1,500
2x ubi titles per year + COD + 1x more at full retail = 7x (4x times $80)
total costs after 7 years = $1,500 + $2,240 = $3,740

XSX
$500 + 7x years GPU = $1,500
2x ubi titles per year + COD + 1x more at full retail = 7x (4x times $80)
total costs after 7 years = $1,700 + $2,240 = $3,940

for just 5% more you get

- 3x gpu perf
- 2x SSD space
- 1x BD for movies and be able to play old games
- better looking games
- better performing games

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Enjoy it!

You either have the worst "gaming" PC under the Sun or you are completely inept at using it as it's literally, launch Steam game, turn on controller, play game. Not Rocket Surgery dude. Did you not have to take the 15 minutes it takes to set your resolution and setting with ANY of the consoles either? Because every console I've owned after the PS2/X/GC era I've had to set up. Lol, controller mapping. What games are you playing where you HAVE to map the controller? None that I've played in say...the last 9 or 10 years have had that be an issue.

My gaming PC probably shits on yours and if you are seriously pretending running a gaming PC is anywhere close to a console you're high on paint.

1. It's much larger (I guess you don't give a damn about taking up a large chunk of your entertainment center?), produces more heat, and is more likely to go to sleep and not wake up.
2. Explain how I magically launch the game with the controller and the PC asleep? Because I can resume direct into a game on console.
3. Explain how to get horribly optimized PC games to not crash or to simply run as well as PS5 or PS4 Pro (Ubisoft?)

Take that shit somewhere else.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Sounds like you could have bought an extended HDMI cable and saved hundreds of dollars.

Or steam link/Nvidia gamestream.

There's even the possibility of simply getting a more comfortable chair that reclines a bit so that you can kick back rather than "sit at a desk".

Honestly, the excuses these fake PC gamers make, I don't know how they don't get tired of hearing their own bullshit.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
My gaming PC probably shits on yours and if you are seriously pretending running a gaming PC is anywhere close to a console you're high on paint.

1. It's much larger (I guess you don't give a damn about taking up a large chunk of your entertainment center?), produces more heat, and is more likely to go to sleep and not wake up.
2. Explain how I magically launch the game with the controller and the PC asleep? Because I can resume direct into a game on console.
3. Explain how to get horribly optimized PC games to not crash or to simply run as well as PS5 or PS4 Pro (Ubisoft?)

Lol. Ok bud. Live in your fantasy bullshit land where EVERY game EVER has issues only on PC, where SFF PC's with EXCELLENT COOLING DON'T exist and apparently you've never heard of a Control Panel setting where you can make your computer sleep or not sleep at your whimsy, where you've apparently never used Steam Big Picture mode or used ANY type of Remote Mouse that can use your controller to select anything on your PC, or apparently ever LEARNED that ALT-TABBING exists... Or that launching a PC game off an SSD for the last say......10 years takes any longer than 15-20 seconds even IF you don't want to suspend your game via ALT+Tab. Yeah, take your stupid ass fud-filled bullshit back to the 90's where apparently you're excellent PC would do way better. Because the rest of us will just play our games on our WAY worse PC than yours and not have to lie to make our e-peens feel bigger. Lol.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

reksveks

I am pretty much like yourself.

Got a gaming pc that I built out this year which is connected to TV (no keyboard or mouse), I use this for my games that I want the rtx. I need to buy a proper wireless mouse and keyboard but using those on a couch is a PITA.

Then a series s hidden behind my TV and I use that for my indies and for remote play.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Is the Nintendo Switch a console? Or a hybrid/mobile gaming machine? To me is not a console. Is a portable gaming machine.
"Get the gaming system that lets you play the games you want, wherever you are, however you like. Includes the Nintendo Switch console and Nintendo Switch dock in black, with contrasting left and right Joy‑Con controllers—one red, one blue." Nintendo Store.

SkylineRKR

Its a fun system, but the pathetic amount of storage is off putting. Unless you like switching games around its a nuisance with a GP sub. Not that the X storage will suffice but its at least more than twice as much. New games won't be the best version. But the price of them is the same. I have it as secondary system, and I surely won't buy a RE Village for it with a PS5 next to it. Also, you have to buy digital.

But that aside it feels next-gen, its as fast as X and PS5 and has quick resume, short load times and all stuff those systems offer. Games are just performing worse on it, and they look worse. Personally I can't look past that if I know there are other systems around doing it better. And in the end its only 200 bucks difference, and with X you get a disc drive and more storage on top of it. And better versions of games at the same retail price. With some physical version deals you might even earn those 200 bucks back.

If I had no other system I would likely wait for an X to be available as it will be available at some point and you have the best deal with it. In fact, I might pick up an X down the line. X does everything better. Classics run better on it, not on One S mode. And even if you have a 1080p set I figure X does a better job at supersampling and some games are 30fps on S and 60 on X. MS should've released a DD only X for 399 after all, I think.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I had been waiting for a series X, but reading recent news reports it sounds like shortages may very well last through the year and beyond. All attempts to buy online have failed, and I'm not about to pay some smug asshole 150 to 200 plus over retail to buy one second hand. I lucked out and a local target had series S's in stock so I bit.

NOw, I do have a decent gaming PC with pc gamepass, but my issue is that I work from home. So, at the end of a 10+ hour day typing stuff and making calls, sitting at the computer to play games sounds terrible. But the S will let me chill with gamepass on my TV. Plus I can probably sell this thing (at cost, I'm not a hypocrite) if I regret it.

Anyone else have an S? What do you think of it? I pick mine up tonight.
I refuse to pay those asshole scalpers a dime over retail. i will just wait it out due to principle alone.

twilo99

Good for you. Its an impressive little kit.

I think it draws like ~70w of power when maxed out.. you get a lot out of that so very efficient

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I love my Series X but i'm thinking of picking up an S just for dev mode and emulators, seems really awesome at that.
After just recently hacking the Wii U to be an emulator monster, I can say that I love it. It's great having access to 100's of different games across so many different eras, from NES/SNES/SEGA/MAME/GC/WII all in one tiny little box. My only hesitation if I were you would be that you usually have to have a certain firmware which can leave you unable to play newer games on the Series S if they homebrew community isn't constantly updating the hack. And I'd bet a lot of newer games that release on the system will either require latest firmware or just plain not work on older fw. That said, I've only seen one video that was quite a bit older about Dev. Mode and S for emulators so I don't know the current state of emulation on the S. Would be great though if you can have it both ways.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Tom Cruise What GIF

You press the power button on the PC, and it comes back from hibernation and all the things you had running are still running, including alt-tabbed games. Thats literally the only extra step over picking up a console controller and turning on the console using that. Pressing one button. You still have to pick up your controller to turn on the console don't you?

Maybe you could multitask by pressing the power button while you pick up your controller, rollsafe.gif.

The 2nd bolded part is even more stupid because if a game has problems on console you are stuck with them, on PC you can just lower settings or resolution to get it locked to the refresh rate and have no stuttering/tearing, which is the main problem you have in console games. Were you referencing the "no faces" bug from Unity with "Ubisoft?" part? That came out 7 years ago and the bug was on integrated GPUs that were below the minimum requirements of the game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So PCs have all the features you talk about on console and more, for years now.

Last edited:
Lol. Ok bud. Live in your fantasy bullshit land where EVERY game EVER has issues only on PC, where SFF PC's with EXCELLENT COOLING DON'T exist and apparently you've never heard of a Control Panel setting where you can make your computer sleep or not sleep at your whimsy, where you've apparently never used Steam Big Picture mode or used ANY type of Remote Mouse that can use your controller to select anything on your PC, or apparently ever LEARNED that ALT-TABBING exists... Or that launching a PC game off an SSD for the last say......10 years takes any longer than 15-20 seconds even IF you don't want to suspend your game via ALT+Tab. Yeah, take your stupid ass fud-filled bullshit back to the 90's where apparently you're excellent PC would do way better. Because the rest of us will just play our games on our WAY worse PC than yours and not have to lie to make our e-peens feel bigger. Lol.

giphy.gif
there is no need to be upset GIF

It never ceases to amaze me how up in their feelings guys that swear by PC gaming on a TV get. Can you not afford consoles and you want to justify that your gaming PC experience is "just as good" as a console on TV?

I'm trying to wrap my head around how a gaming PC sitting in your living room taking up space and being a clunky fucking interface/experience is somehow justifiably better. It's not.

I have both an S and an X. S prob gets more usage and its in my bedroom away from the family. I have my X in my living room, but everyone always wants that TV.

I seriously don't think your missing out on much wihh the X, other than the storage. Games are deffo crisper but the S doesn't bother me.

Gravemind

Imagine being one of these guys. Feeling the need to come and shit in the thread of someone who bought a new console, simply because it is not their console of choice.

:messenger_neutral:

These are the people who had no friends as kids and got bullied for being total losers in their developmental years. They now feel the need to release that pent up anger and self loathing by going onto their internet safe space to make pathetic attempts at ruining other people's enjoyment.

Last edited:
Tom Cruise What GIF

You press the power button on the PC, and it comes back from hibernation and all the things you had running are still running, including alt-tabbed games. Thats literally the only extra step over picking up a console controller and turning on the console using that. Pressing one button. You still have to pick up your controller to turn on the console don't you? Or do you keep it strapped to your head with duct tape at all times? I suppose that would save a few seconds, might look silly though.

Maybe you could multitask by pressing the power button while you pick up your controller, rollsafe.gif.

The 2nd bolded part is even more stupid because if a game has problems on console you are stuck with them, on PC you can just lower settings or resolution to get it locked to the refresh rate and have no stuttering/tearing, which is the main problem you have in console games. Were you referencing the "no faces" bug from Unity with "Ubisoft?" part? That came out fucking 7 years ago and the bug was on integrated GPUs that were below the minimum requirements of the game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So PCs have all the features you talk about on console and more, for years now.
You nailed it on the first try, good job!

I have to hit the power button on the PC. So that means moving from my comfy chair, around my floor speakers and sub, and powering on a PC, and then hoping it comes back from sleep without crashing... vs. sitting down and hitting the PS button on my console.

TOTALLY the same.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

I am glad you assisted me in realizing why PC master racers get up in their feelings about people saying the console experience is easier - you can't afford both!

It makes so much sense now.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
there is no need to be upset GIF

It never ceases to amaze me how up in their feelings guys that swear by PC gaming on a TV get. Can you not afford consoles and you want to justify that your gaming PC experience is "just as good" as a console on TV?

I'm trying to wrap my head around how a gaming PC sitting in your living room taking up space and being a clunky fucking interface/experience is somehow justifiably better. It's not.
There's like 10 different options to stream your PC to your TV. Though, again, I'm sure you've never heard of ANY of them. Or even...god forbid an HDMI cable that's longer than 6 feet. SHOCKER I know, they make 50-foot cables that can go from an office to a TV if you so want. I've literally owned every single console from PS1 up. It's just funny how you spout a bunch of bullshit and then can't defend any of it and then move onto to something else when you're called out. Maybe just stick to the Politics section bud.

There's like 10 different options to stream your PC to your TV. Though, again, I'm sure you've never heard of ANY of them. Or even...god forbid an HDMI cable that's longer than 6 feet. SHOCKER I know, they make 50-foot cables that can go from an office to a TV if you so want. I've literally owned every single console from PS1 up. It's just funny how you spout a bunch of bullshit and then can't defend any of it and then move onto to something else when you're called out. Maybe just stick to the Politics section bud.

You must have missed the reply literally above this where the guy is like "just get up and hit the power button on the PC". I'll just hop skip and jump over my 4" floor speakers and sub and go behind my entertainment centers. NP.

And then you talk about streaming to a PC? Yeah, that's a high quality experience, there.

Bottom line is no amount of lying to yourself will make having a big ass PC behind your entertainment center that you have to navigate to for an issue "easy". It's nowhere near as quick, intuitive, space-saving, and simple as a console, and never will be. That's why people have gaming desks for their PCs, and sit on the couch for their consoles.

If you can't afford both and want to lie to yourself that running a PC to your TV is "just as good", be my guest.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
After just recently hacking the Wii U to be an emulator monster, I can say that I love it. It's great having access to 100's of different games across so many different eras, from NES/SNES/SEGA/MAME/GC/WII all in one tiny little box. My only hesitation if I were you would be that you usually have to have a certain firmware which can leave you unable to play newer games on the Series S if they homebrew community isn't constantly updating the hack. And I'd bet a lot of newer games that release on the system will either require latest firmware or just plain not work on older fw. That said, I've only seen one video that was quite a bit older about Dev. Mode and S for emulators so I don't know the current state of emulation on the S. Would be great though if you can have it both ways.
Unless I’m wrong, I think that’s the appeal, you pay the $19 for dev mode and can switch back and forth with a reboot.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of insecurity in this thread. Enjoy your console! Get Sea of Thieves on the go and enjoy one of the most unique experiences of the last decade or so in gaming.

Kuranghi

You must have missed the reply literally above this where the guy is like "just get up and hit the power button on the PC". I'll just hop skip and jump over my 4" floor speakers and sub and go behind my entertainment centers. NP.

And then you talk about streaming to a PC? Yeah, that's a high quality experience, there.

Bottom line is no amount of lying to yourself will make having a big ass PC behind your entertainment center that you have to navigate to for an issue "easy". It's nowhere near as quick, intuitive, space-saving, and simple as a console, and never will be. That's why people have gaming desks for their PCs, and sit on the couch for their consoles.

If you can't afford both and want to lie to yourself that running a PC to your TV is "just as good", be my guest.

Speaking of money, I actually don't even have a house at all, I'm a tramp.

I see NeoGAF on a monitor in a computer shop window thats nearby my tent, which is under the motorway. I saved up money from begging for a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and I connect them to the computers when the staff aren't looking to reply to good people like yourself or maybe send a few gifs.

The funny thing is my tent is also filled with giant speakers I have to step over when entering and trying to get to my sleeping bag, might seem inconvenient but its how I've always done it, can't change it now.

Speaking of money, I actually don't even have a house at all, I'm a tramp.

I see NeoGAF on a monitor in a computer shop window thats nearby my tent, which is under the motorway. I saved up money from begging for a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and I connect them to the computers when the staff aren't looking to reply to good people like yourself or maybe send a few gifs.

The funny thing is my tent is also filled with giant speakers I have to step over when entering and trying to get to my sleeping bag, might seem inconvenient but its how I've always done it, can't change it now.
In your situation, Series S is STILL not worth it. Save your can recycling money until you can afford the X.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

You really keep trying to bring money into some equation which I find hilarious. You're pathetic.

giphy.gif

I own my house, I own my car, got a shit ton in savings, have money in crypto and different stocks and I have literally 0 debt, I have a healthy baby girl and a great marriage. Not hurting for anything. You keep bringing up money like it's the only factor which shows how sad your life really is. I called you out on your bullshit and you just keep talking about money. You sound foolish and ignorant. Stick to politics bud, you might get some support their...

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Y'all starting to behave like the Apple fans vs the World, fighting over an underpowered thing... the Xbox one Second Edition... Joking
Seriously If people want to buy one, let them, it is their money...

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There was a point in time you could have RetroArch and PPSSPP Gold on Series S without any modification or dev mode even. I had them on my Series S in both dev mode and retail mode. Series S is a true emulation beast. Even PS2 and Wii games are coming along thanks to it's 8c/16t Zen 2 CPU.

plip.plop

I picked up a series S as well. Waiting out for a PS5 and XSX to become more readily available. I refuse to pay a scalper x amount over the asking price for a hobby. With that said, it is a much better experience over the previous-gen mid-gen refreshes in terms of loading speeds alone, quick resume is legit.

Grechy34

I had been waiting for a series X, but reading recent news reports it sounds like shortages may very well last through the year and beyond. All attempts to buy online have failed, and I'm not about to pay some smug asshole 150 to 200 plus over retail to buy one second hand. I lucked out and a local target had series S's in stock so I bit.

NOw, I do have a decent gaming PC with pc gamepass, but my issue is that I work from home. So, at the end of a 10+ hour day typing stuff and making calls, sitting at the computer to play games sounds terrible. But the S will let me chill with gamepass on my TV. Plus I can probably sell this thing (at cost, I'm not a hypocrite) if I regret it.

Anyone else have an S? What do you think of it? I pick mine up tonight.

I have a Series S also when I caved in early in the generation. I managed to grab a PS5 down here in OZ but was very lucky and it was a couple of months late. I'm amazed at the Series S (besides the storage capacity). You won't be disapointed in it. Down the track you can always put some money away and eventually buy a Series X and use the Series S in another room, or you could sell it. It's a step up from the One X that's for sure.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Hopefully, you can sell it for not too much of a loss when you get a proper next-gen console. You should be pissed at your friends. Friends don't let friends buy a Series S.

Trolling again eh? Just because you believe this doesn't mean you need to ruin the experience for everyone. He has a ps5 and a good pc, he will be fine, maybe even like it......

He's saying streaming is an option.

Bottom line is connecting a PC to an LG CX is pretty fucking easy. You take the HDMI cord, and plug it in. Dude you replied to I think explained the process of turning on a controller. It just works.

If you can't afford an LG CX and a PC, or can't afford to invest in an HDMI cord and want to lie to yourself that running a cord to your TV is difficult, be my guest.

JimboJones

I was thinking on getting one for some backwards compatible games and to play with the few xbox friends who refuse to play on PC, it would open up a bigger library of online games to play in that regard. I don't particularly want to invest heavily in a console ecosystem again so a series S seems like a ok choice.

Neil Young

Awesome, seems like a nice console.

Do people know if the series S is more powerful than an Xbox one X? I think my One X is dying and I can't find a series x.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Do people know if the series S is more powerful than an Xbox one X? I think my One X is dying and I can't find a series x.

In terms of raw TF it's lower, but as the architecture is much newer its actually more powerfull overall. It's more obvious with newer games, as they tend to optimized vs older games which are not. Also it's target is 1080p and not 4k, even though it could run some games at 4k at 30fps. (If they were optimized for it)

That said it might still be a tough sell for you if you are used to playing at 4k on the x - since most games are output at 1080p.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Cool, i still happy with my PS4pro for a year or two.

Then maybe an Xbox, but i want an X more not just for the piwer but the disc drive and the storage space

Hoddi

The GPU is roughly on par while everything else is way faster. The more important thing for the long term is that it supports all of the new graphics features. It otherwise just depends on your TV. where the S is great if you still use a 1080p set but the X is a better choice if you've already upgraded to 4k.

Edit:

The biggest slight against the S is how it handles Xbox One BC. You'll usually just get Xbox One quality levels (and not One X) which makes little sense on 1080p displays. Microsoft will hopefully tweak these things in time but we're not there yet.

Xbox360 games handle it more gracefully by rendering at 1440p on S vs 4k on X. But I'd really like seeing Xbox One games done better.

Last edited:
There was a point in time you could have RetroArch and PPSSPP Gold on Series S without any modification or dev mode even. I had them on my Series S in both dev mode and retail mode. Series S is a true emulation beast. Even PS2 and Wii games are coming along thanks to it's 8c/16t Zen 2 CPU.
Can you not easily add emulators to Series S anymore?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Can you not easily add emulators to Series S anymore?
You can via Dev Mode. I took a peek at Dominater01's Discord and Patreon and there's no longer any mention of the limited window retail release. It's not the worst by any means, but you do need ~4min. to switch between Dev Mode and Retail Mode each time. Other than that, it looks like Dev Mode RetroArch and PPSSPP are still getting regular updates to improve performance. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom