• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I caved and bought a Series S

TheMan

I had been waiting for a series X, but reading recent news reports it sounds like shortages may very well last through the year and beyond. All attempts to buy online have failed, and I'm not about to pay some smug asshole 150 to 200 plus over retail to buy one second hand. I lucked out and a local target had series S's in stock so I bit.

NOw, I do have a decent gaming PC with pc gamepass, but my issue is that I work from home. So, at the end of a 10+ hour day typing stuff and making calls, sitting at the computer to play games sounds terrible. But the S will let me chill with gamepass on my TV. Plus I can probably sell this thing (at cost, I'm not a hypocrite) if I regret it.

Anyone else have an S? What do you think of it? I pick mine up tonight.

nerdface

Banned
I’ve been thinking about it. I don’t have a great tv anyway, plus devs so far have to support it.

...budget gaming is the shit!

Besides, in a few years, once the library really gets good, there will be a bigger flops XSX Pro anyway.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
party GIF

Hopefully, you can sell it for not too much of a loss when you get a proper next-gen console. You should be pissed at your friends. Friends don't let friends buy a Series S.
Series S stands for Series Shit, no offence btw.
Please ignore people who don't know what they are talking about. The XSS has the exact same feature set as the XSX. It is a perfect complementary system that will be supported for years to come and plays plenty of games better than the best systems last generation. As long as you aren't looking for 4k gaming the XSS is perfectly fine. You can't build a more capable device for less money.

waquzy

Please ignore people who don't know what they are talking about. The XSS has the exact same feature set as the XSX. It is a perfect complementary system that will be supported for years to come and plays plenty of games better than the best systems last generation. As long as you aren't looking for 4k gaming the XSS is perfectly fine. You can't build a more capable device for less money.
Has the same feature set? Are you deluded or do you just like riding Microsoft?!

Topher

Gold Member
I had been waiting for a series X, but reading recent news reports it sounds like shortages may very well last through the year and beyond. All attempts to buy online have failed, and I'm not about to pay some smug asshole 150 to 200 plus over retail to buy one second hand. I lucked out and a local target had series S's in stock so I bit.

NOw, I do have a decent gaming PC with pc gamepass, but my issue is that I work from home. So, at the end of a 10+ hour day typing stuff and making calls, sitting at the computer to play games sounds terrible. But the S will let me chill with gamepass on my TV. Plus I can probably sell this thing (at cost, I'm not a hypocrite) if I regret it.

I believe Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation bought one and then we all stopped talking to him. (kidding)

Hopefully it will satisfy you need for chill time. I work from home as well so I can relate.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Chances are its not going to out perform your gaming PC you currently have but its also not trying to at $300. If you are looking for a machine to play GP stuff and dont care as much about resolution and such then I see no reason why you wont feel as if you purchase is justified.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty close to getting XSEX.

I can find one far easier today, and at an actual retail price, at a game store than I could ever find a PS5 for the next 6 months.

To hell with the PS5 at this point.

I'll just wait till next year until this ridiculous shortage of stock diminishes and things just go back to me being able to buy one wherever and whenever I want.

But the S will let me chill with gamepass on my TV. Plus I can probably sell this thing (at cost, I'm not a hypocrite) if I regret it.

It's a fantastic little console.

Idea behind it is to chill and get gamepass, download whatever you want and just enjoy games.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I picked one up and put it in the garage.
I have played some Diablo on it, no issues to speak of at all.

I like how tiny it is! I have a series x as well and overall console exp is the same for me (controllers accys, etc). Also the dashboard functions the same on both in terms of speed/responsiveness.

It is nice that you can take the seagate expansion drive from my X to the S and transfer content if necessary!

Mr.ODST

I have one cor when im away on business, fits in suitcase well and lets me play my games and gamepass on the go with next gen features

Series S is a capable little device. It really shines on a 1440p or 1080p computer monitor if you have one handy.

The backwards compatible games run on the Xbox One S presets, which is a bummer, but optimized games look pretty good, especially on lower native res displays.

Also it's TINY. Really looks sleek on my desk and doesn't take up much space.

I should add that I do have a ps5 already. I managed to preorder one back when preorders first went live. So this is more of a supplement.
That's pretty much exactly what I want to do.

I have the PS5, and will pick up a gamepass machine at some point.

Ah the old 'I have a gaming PC but i work all day and the last thing i want to do adter a long days work is game on a PC' meme. Its not 1995 anymore.
My PC is hooked up to my 50inch, and use a controller from my couch.
Ahhh, the ol' Predator-avatar-PC-gamer-mocking-other-PC-gamer-who-wants-to-play-on-the-couch meme. It's not 1987 anymore. Predator came out 34 years ago grandpa. You probably have the PC hooked up to the 50 inch TV so your bifocals can see the small font.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Ah the old 'I have a gaming PC but i work all day and the last thing i want to do adter a long days work is game on a PC' meme. Its not 1995 anymore.
The same argument could be made for the old 'Just slap your computer next to your TV, it's so easy and fitting, and definitely makes sense if it's your work computer'.

Owning multiple 4K sets, I could never get a Series S. I would personally wait for the Series X to become more widely available, it isn't going to be a whole year.

Soltype

I have the same setup, but for some games HDR is broken or missing on PC, plus a lot of my 360 games work on it too.I pretty much skipped last gen put gamepass and BC has me looking for Series X now.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It’s amazing how you need to have a proper justification to buy a Series S on this forum.
Most of us are joking around.
Like so:
Ahhh, the ol' Predator-avatar-PC-gamer-mocking-other-PC-gamer-who-wants-to-play-on-the-couch meme. It's not 1987 anymore. Predator came out 34 years ago grandpa. You probably have the PC hooked up to the 50 inch TV so your bificals can see the small font.

I have every console under the Sun and a gaming PC and it's an abject lie to say they're even close to the same experience.

Steam UI, controller mapping, resolution mismatches, and general Windows 10 sucking? Yeah, not after working all day in front of a PC.

I'll stick with PS5/XSX/Switch when I get home.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Enjoy it!

I have every console under the Sun and a gaming PC and it's an abject lie to say they're even close to the same experience.

Steam UI, controller mapping, resolution mismatches, and general Windows 10 sucking? Yeah, not after working all day in front of a PC.

I'll stick with PS5/XSX/Switch when I get home.
You either have the worst "gaming" PC under the Sun or you are completely inept at using it as it's literally, launch Steam game, turn on controller, play game. Not Rocket Surgery dude. Did you not have to take the 15 minutes it takes to set your resolution and setting with ANY of the consoles either? Because every console I've owned after the PS2/X/GC era I've had to set up. Lol, controller mapping. What games are you playing where you HAVE to map the controller? None that I've played in say...the last 9 or 10 years have had that be an issue.

Last edited:

frogger

I have one, it is great. The small size make it a great console to bring during travel.

Top Bottom