• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I am playing Persona 4 Golden on steam right now

Which game do you prefer?

• P4G

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • P5R

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters

Hadoukie

The problem is that P3 is butchered. There is no definite version. There is P3FES which has no AI control, and you have P3P which has no overworld but AI control and a new MC.

Until Atlus fixes this; i cant pick it for its faults.
I had no problems with the AI party stuff. As long as you give them proper commands, they won't do anything stupid.

SantaC

I had no problems with the AI party stuff. As long as you give them proper commands, they won't do anything stupid.
Actually there is the infamous Marin Karin AI problem...

I hate not having direct command over party members.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I had some frustration with AI, especially in harder difficulty. The whole reason I like turn based because I'm full control of the battle in Persona 3 was the opposite.

As much as I enjoyed P4's characters, one of my problem with them is that they become BFF too fast, one thing I like about 13 Sentinels is that some characters just don't get along with each other which made characters more natural in my opinion.

SpiceRacz

This thread motivated me to start P4G last night and I'm really digging it so far. It's my first playthrough and I don't normally like anime stuff. The story is intriguing though and I'm interested to see where it's going. Also, this game looks gorgeous on PC compared to the PS2 version.

drganon

Persona 5 is my favorite of the series to date. The royal edition made a game I already loved even better.

That being said, I still really like persona 4 and golden as well.

GymWolf

P4 is my least favorite Persona. Story and characters just didn't grab me, and the nonsense you had to go through to get the true ending was annoying.

P3 is where it's at tho. Should be one of the poll options. Best story and characters by a mile.
Stupid requisites to get the real finale is a big no no for me.

The Shepard

Not going to be popular but I'd like them to come away from the turn based combat and have something like the ff7 remake battle system which is strange me saying as I used to love turn based combat. I prefer action rpg now especially if it's on a big screen.

If not just make the dungeons smaller, they dragged on so long I got burnt out by about half way through and have never completed it.

I completed persona 4 golden on vita and loved it so maybe put it on switch to, if it's turn based.

Starhowl

Played Persona 4 on PS2 and bought Golden on PS Vita but never got to play it; from what I can see the graphics in Golden are worse although there's more content.

Maybe I'm gonna play it at some point if they're releasing it for consoles. 😪

Last edited:

lyan

Not going to be popular but I'd like them to come away from the turn based combat and have something like the ff7 remake battle system which is strange me saying as I used to love turn based combat. I prefer action rpg now especially if it's on a big screen.

If not just make the dungeons smaller, they dragged on so long I got burnt out by about half way through and have never completed it.

I completed persona 4 golden on vita and loved it so maybe put it on switch to, if it's turn based.
They do action combat with the Raidou Kuzunoha series though it has been a long while since the last game.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The persona series so popluar, I disagree on them getting the better games. Keep in mind, I'd say the reason behind those games being done the way they are with Nintendo and Sony has more to do with the Nintendo install base not really taking to mature content to the same degree as the PS install base.
SMT is was crazier than Persona...

I always found it funny that nintendo had smt and not persona.

Danjin44

FUCK NO!!! We have enough action RPGs and I don't need SMT/Persona and Dragon Quest follow same route as FF games.

SantaC

Played Persona 4 on PS2 and bought Golden on PS Vita but never got to play it; from what I can see the graphics in Golden are worse although there's more content.

Maybe I'm gonna play it at some point if they're releasing it for consoles. 😪
It is on PC you know.

Astral Dog

Why isn't this series on XBOX? Do they hate the console that much? Wouldn't it be better to reach western audience too? Or are they primarily targeting eastern audience?
Idk, its barely on Nintendo either 🤷‍♂️, i keep hearing good things about Persona Warriors on Switch, but the only warriors game i like is the first Hyrule Warriors, it looks cool but i don't care much about P5 i hear its like 100 hours long 😳

TheAssist

P4G has a better story, overall setting /atmosphere and some more interesting characters. P5 has better gameplay and dungeon design.

The gameplay in both is just bland and kinda bad, dont know how the series gets away with this till this day. Say what you will about FF combat, but at least they are trying to do something new and I actually liked XIII and VII Remakes combat.

P4 also has the most boring dungeons of any game I have ever played. P5 is still boring in that regard, but is a bit easier to take in, since its not all randomly generated. Then again P5 has a huuuuge randomly generated dungeon just for busy work.
Both games suffer from the fact that they are way too long. The gameplay just cant carry them over the finish line. Personally I would prefer the combat of P5 Strikers. Make it more in depth, add more RPG elements to it and make it even more visually appealing and I think we could have something here. Also, just trim of all the fat. Less grinding, more actual challenge.

While of this does sound very negative, I do like both games a great deal. Its just after spending over 100 hours on them, you notice the lack in gameplay variety a lot. P5S on the other hand felt quite good at about 40 hours. I think a full Persona game could clock in at about 50 to 60 hours and all would be fine. the other 40 hours is just grinding in randomly generated dungeons anyways.

Danjin44

Also, just trim of all the fat. Less grinding, more actual challenge.
I played both Persona/SMT games, you NEVER need to grind......I beat most tough bosses in Nocturne by simply changing up my Demons instead of grinding.

TheAssist

FUCK NO!!! We have enough action RPGs and I don't need SMT/Persona and Dragon Quest follow same route as FF games.
I get your point, but if they stay with the turn based system they honestly need to do something. The way it is now it is soooo boring. There is no thought process what so ever. After 5 minutes in a dungeon you can almost play it blindfolded because all the inputs are the same. No tactic, no thought, no challenge.

I played FF7 (original) right after. Thats also an easy game (though I played the New Threat moed, so it was a bit harder), the simple fact that it had the ATB system made it instantly more engaging because there is timing component to it.

So yeah, if they stay turn based, they need to innovate. And not just by hiding behind some flashy animations.

TheAssist

I played both Persona/SMT games, you NEVER need to grind......I beat most tough bosses in Nocturne by simply changing up my Demons instead of grinding.
Since the games are that easy I believe you. However, the first time through you kind of want to play through the mementos in P5 just to see what happens. You dont know whether you need it for a good ending or if you get something cool at the end. Or if you need to do it at any rate to progress. So you just do it. And its simply fighting the exact same enemies you have already fought way too much up to this point, except now the dungeon is even more boring. Thats still grinding in my book, since you do not further the story and its really really really repetitive.

Again, after 100 hours I could not stand to see any more of these mementos...

Danjin44

I get your point, but if they stay with the turn based system they honestly need to do something.
Press turn combat is core of SMT/Persona games, I became fan of the series for that very reason. Have you played any SMT games?
Even with SMT the change things up, for example: In Strange Journey you have alignment system, if you or other Demons in your party have same alignment they do follow up attack and SMTIV you have "Smirk" If you do critical hit or mange block the attack you "Smirk" statues which grantees you critical hit even increase other status but this also true for enemies and bosses as well.

And its simply fighting the exact same enemies you have already fought way too much up to this point,
Thats true 90% RPGs, both action and turn based.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Don't care for golden or royal but my persona ranking is:

Revelations: Persona > P2:EP > P5 > P4 > P3 P2:IS

P2:EP is really the best of the series, and arguably the best rpg ever made, but I just love the atmosphere and story of Revelations. I'd probably put the Q games over P3-5 if I was including them.

Tschumi

I think p5r is better in several legitimate ways, but overall, yes, p4g is my favourite. Yosuke is so much better than Ryuji it's depressing.. kanji is my probably my favourite character in the whole series, his English voice actor elevated him, unbelievably

SantaC

I think p5r is better in several legitimate ways, but overall, yes, p4g is my favourite. Yosuke is so much better than Ryuji it's depressing.. kanji is my probably my favourite character in the whole series, his English voice actor elevated him, unbelievably
Agreed.

Too bad new Chie sucks

Tschumi

I had some frustration with AI, especially in harder difficulty. The whole reason I like turn based because I'm full control of the battle in Persona 3 was the opposite.

As much as I enjoyed P4's characters, one of my problem with them is that they become BFF too fast, one thing I like about 13 Sentinels is that some characters just don't get along with each other which made characters more natural in my opinion.
Imo p3p is just a lesser gameplay take to p4, and p4 is a lesser gameplay take to p5... That's a trend that should be lauded: by and large - despite trade offs like the lack of sports clubs in p5 - iterate effectively and with great consistency... Story is another matter i guess, for me it's p4>p5>p3.. but that's just me..
P4G has a better story, overall setting /atmosphere and some more interesting characters. P5 has better gameplay and dungeon design.

The gameplay in both is just bland and kinda bad, dont know how the series gets away with this till this day. Say what you will about FF combat, but at least they are trying to do something new and I actually liked XIII and VII Remakes combat.

P4 also has the most boring dungeons of any game I have ever played. P5 is still boring in that regard, but is a bit easier to take in, since its not all randomly generated. Then again P5 has a huuuuge randomly generated dungeon just for busy work.
Both games suffer from the fact that they are way too long. The gameplay just cant carry them over the finish line. Personally I would prefer the combat of P5 Strikers. Make it more in depth, add more RPG elements to it and make it even more visually appealing and I think we could have something here. Also, just trim of all the fat. Less grinding, more actual challenge.

While of this does sound very negative, I do like both games a great deal. Its just after spending over 100 hours on them, you notice the lack in gameplay variety a lot. P5S on the other hand felt quite good at about 40 hours. I think a full Persona game could clock in at about 50 to 60 hours and all would be fine. the other 40 hours is just grinding in randomly generated dungeons anyways.
Replaying p4 to try different clubs and relationships is so hard because the dungeons - while a huge upgrade on p3 - are really bland compared to p5... It's like ssx tricky vs ssx3...

I have huge trouble doing the metaverse dungeon in p5, especially with the kid they added for Royal with his weird collectibles mechanic.. it is most definitely busywork, especially since my progress in the main game always outstrips it and I'm always getting underpowered items and personas...

I like the combat, though. I very specifically detest turn based combat, but all the weaknesses and crits and such piled into the persona brand instantly got me in.. that was the first time I'd been thus captured by a jrpg in my life .. before they i only really loved tales of symphonia...

Danjin44

Imo p3p is just a lesser gameplay take to p4, and p4 is a lesser gameplay take to p5... That's a trend that should be lauded: by and large - despite trade offs like the lack of sports clubs in p5 - iterate effectively and with great consistency... Story is another matter i guess, for me it's p4>p5>p3.. but that's just me..
When it comes to Press Turn combat, mainline SMT is VASTLY better in my opinion. I recently played Nocturne and after all these years I had more fun with that game than I did with P3-5 combined.

I enjoyed Persona series a lot but SMT series is just way more engaging for my taste.

Paltheos

The problem is that P3 is butchered. There is no definite version. There is P3FES which has no AI control, and you have P3P which has no overworld but AI control and a new MC.

Until Atlus fixes this; i cant pick it for its faults.

There's nothing wrong with the AI in principle, but that's a line I've got to put a big asterisk by. The idea of your teammates operating on their own can be interesting and as a matter of fact there are a number of fights, particularly the regular Tartarus floor bosses, where I enjoyed managing fights in which the number of meaningful decisions I could make is limited and my planning had to account for my understanding of how my teammates would react in the given situation and what setups of characters/equipment/persona would optimize my chances of squeezing out a win. It's different, very much so from a very standard turn-based combat system while simultaneously still being the same kind of system without plopping on a bunch of other systems (for better and for worse).

In practice, there are a bunch of problems and limitations: Issues with the AI here in particular (Marin Karin) and how much you can really do with this kind of system which seems to have a big scope limitation. I think AI-controlled members work well in Persona 3, conceptually, better than the other modern Persona games, because the team's not as buddy-buddy in P3, and it works on kind of a meta level, but I also can't shake the feeling that it's ultimately just kind of a gimmick. I haven't seen AI-controlled party members in many games with turn-based combat (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue is the only other one that springs to mind that has a party member join for any prolonged period that's all AI), but it's never felt quite as satisfying as an interesting turn-based system could be.

Danjin44

There's nothing wrong with the AI in principle, but that's a line I've got to put a big asterisk by.
For me it kind of goes against what I like about turn based combat in the first place, I like to be in control of the battle.

It doesn’t feel good to get screwed by friendly AI, which brings unnecessary frustration.

We even saw that in SMTIV, human AI suddenly uses spell that boss immune to, which gives them Smirk statues and fucks you over.

Last edited:

Paltheos

I've never made it past the first few hours of P5R. P4 got its' hooks into me immediately.

It might be a difference in how inviting the games are. Both games open to a city shot with background politicking playing on the news and both games' extended intros are known for being exceedingly long, but P4's intro drops you off at a train station in front of your uncle and niece who are decidedly not anime characters and are friendly but awkward in a very genuine way, all before one of P4's classic lowkey, happy tunes kicks in. P5 drops you into a back alley and actual dusty attic with a stranger who doesn't want you there and doesn't like you. The background music playing is the scuffed version of Beneath the Mask (no piano and definitely no vocals for you).

If you're playing vanilla P5, like I did before I dropped it and trepidatiously returned for P5R, you're playing the version of the game with the spottier localization, which from what I've heard impacted the first few in-game days particularly hard comparatively(?). Some of Sojiro's lines inadvertently make him sound crazy. This was a huge disappointment to me after how much I'd loved the work on P4's.

Tschumi

When it comes to Press Turn combat, mainline SMT is VASTLY better in my opinion. I recently played Nocturne and after all these years I had more fun with that game than I did with P3-5 combined.

I enjoyed Persona series a lot but SMT series is just way more engaging for my taste.
funny u should mention that, i've only recently tried an SMT, and i didn't really get the combat so I didn't get far into it, but I'm really happy with the similarities to Persona and i think i'll like it... I do kinda like the, as weird as it sounds, real-world relevance of some of the stuff Persona deals with, but yeah liking SMT... Can't quite remember which one i'm on, it's either psp or vita... it starts off with u being randomly picked from a bunch of applications in some giant city of concentric walls and being sent into a dungeon on a training mission.. i made some poor choices with recruiting and sacrificing personas/demons and died and haven't tried again yet

P5 is my first Persona or SMT game so I will clearly go.with that.

Playing P4 after that is kinda meh
i can understand that, but u definitely missed out, p4 was a fantastic experience, i've never been a real JRPG convert but loving P4G was really easy

Last edited:
Top Bottom