• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I am playing Persona 4 Golden on steam right now

Which game do you prefer?

• P4G

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • P5R

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters

SantaC

I played the original Persona 4 on PS2 back in the day, but never came around playing Golden until now.

I played Persona 5 Royal last year, and I gotta say that I enjoy P4G more. Sure the graphics are dated, but for some reason I felt that P5R were much more busywork. It had more mechanics, longer dungeons, and a duller story. I never liked all the crap securing a route that took away 3-4 days of the calender. Here you can clear a dungeon on the last day. I also like the OST more in P4G. It is fantastic, and i never get tired of the overworld song.

Dojima -> Sojiro
Not only that but most of the cast is more likeble in P4G; in my opinion of course.

That said, P5R is not a bad game at all, it is just that I realize that P4G gets the edge for me

Last edited:
Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game of all time.

Without a doubt, Persona 5 has better gameplay but IMO Persona 4 does everything else better. Also Persona 4 has a special place in my heart and got me out of a very deep depression that otherwise could have ended very differently.

Also Signs of Love is quite possibly the best video game song ever made.

Heartbeat, Heartbreak as well.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed Persona 4 but from gameplay perspective I enjoyed P5 far more and I also HATE shadow enemies in Persona 3 & 4, so glad P5 brought back actual Demons for enemies.

Who thought this would be good enemy design?
16-P4-00045.jpg

Also hate the fact there is no Demon negation on Persona 4 so going through the dungeon became much more dull for me.

kingfey

Banned
Why isn't this series on XBOX? Do they hate the console that much? Wouldn't it be better to reach western audience too? Or are they primarily targeting eastern audience?

Danjin44

Why isn't this series on XBOX? Do they hate the console that much? Wouldn't it be better to reach western audience too? Or are they primarily targeting eastern audience?
They think there is not much audience for game like Persona on Xbox, which they are not entirely wrong.

kingfey

Banned
Tons of JRPGs skip Xbox, Atelier, Disgaea, most Tales of games, etc. And only two Final Fantasy games released on Xbox at launch - XIII and XV. No Dragon Quest game ever released on Xbox at launch.
during those period of time, xbox was crap. Now its on good condition. Hope they try and put some of their jrpg games.

Danjin44

during those period of time, xbox was crap. Now its on good condition. Hope they try and put some of their jrpg games.
Microsoft bought marketing rights for Scarlet Nexus and advertise the crap out of the game and even it got demo sooner and yet it sold mostly on Playstation.

You want to see more JRPG on Xbox? Then Xbox gamers need to show they are willing support those games.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Microsoft bought marketing rights for Scarlet Nexus and advertise the crap out of the game and even it got demo sooner and yet it sold mostly on Playstation.

You want to see more JRPG on Xbox? Then Xbox gamers need to show they are willing supporter those games.
The game sold top 10 on the xbox store for entire month, since release. They got their advertisement. If anything, it did well on xbox.

Also the game is Japanese, so expect more Japanese players to buy for their PlayStation.

Danjin44

The game sold top 10 on the xbox store for entire month, since release. They got their advertisement. If anything, it did well on xbox.

Also the game is Japanese, so expect more Japanese players to buy for their PlayStation.
If Japanese game start selling well on Xbox then we eventually see Persona in that system as well, but remember Atlus is very slow when it comes to releasing their games in other system.

I mean Persona haven't released on Nintendo systems let alone on Xbox. Shin Megami Tensei Nine and Catherine only Atlus games ever released on Xbox system as far as I know.

kingfey

Banned
If Japanese game start selling well on Xbox then we eventually see Persona in that system as well, but remember Atlus is very slow when it comes to releasing their games in other system.

I mean Persona haven't released on Nintendo systems let alone on Xbox. Shin Megami Tensei Nine and Catherine only Atlus games ever released on Xbox system as far as I know.
Now that you mentioned Nintendo, its must be bad for them. They are a Japanese console, games sold there fast, and high record, yet, atlus seems to ignore them with persona.

Danjin44

Now that you mentioned Nintendo, its must be bad for them. They are a Japanese console, games sold there fast, and high record, yet, atlus seems to ignore them with persona.
Well Nintendo might not getting Persona but in my opinion they getting much better games, Shin Megami Tensei series. I own and played both Persona and SMT games if have to choose, I will always go with SMT games.

EDMIX

Most of ff games are on xbox. Same for dragon quest.
I don't disagree with you, but lots of JRPGs still skip the platform, enough to argue its not a good idea for someone who likes those games to actually buy a system to play em.

I'd still with the PS and Nintendo combo, that shit hasn't failed me since lol
Tons of JRPGs skip Xbox, Atelier, Disgaea, most Tales of games, etc. And only two Final Fantasy games released on Xbox at launch - XIII and XV. No Dragon Quest game ever released on Xbox at launch.
This......

So its like, if you love Persona or Dragon Quest or anything like that, it makes sense to just not own that platform. You have to wait, gamble it won't be there etc.

You want to see more JRPG on Xbox? Then Xbox gamers need to show they are willing supporter those games.

Well....maybe. I don't even think its really that, I think as much people that REALLY like those games that exist on XB, are really as much as you are really seeing buy those games on XB, as in....the max number that really wants that, got that, simply that it won't match the PS and Nintendo install base.

Those consumers are already used to buying those games day 1 on those systems vs waiting, begging for ports, getting odd releases etc. So even when you look at Dragon Quest or FF being ported on those systems....ask yourself, how many die hard fans of those series really skipped owning a Wii, PS3, PS4 etc? Thus...how and why would they be die hard fans, without the very systems those games appear on day and date?

So I just don't know how many massive FF fans exist, that ONLY own XB, cause that means they "love" the IP so much ,they igored FFX, FFXII, FFIX, FFV and so many more for multiple generations waiting for ports. Does that sound like a fan to you? So I'd likely speculate the JRPG fans that exist on XB likely already own PS and Nintendo systems to get that fix, or are very, very casusle to the point of missing those titles is a easy pill to swallow cause they are not THAT much of JRPG fans in the first place.

Ask yourself this Dan.....what can I do to have you skip SMTV? Persona 6? lol

Well Nintendo might not getting Persona but in my opinion they getting much better games, Shin Megami Tensei series.

The persona series so popluar, I disagree on them getting the better games. Keep in mind, I'd say the reason behind those games being done the way they are with Nintendo and Sony has more to do with the Nintendo install base not really taking to mature content to the same degree as the PS install base.

They did try with Persona Q and Q2 etc on 3DS and with Persona stirkers on Switch, like what you saw from Yakuza on Wii U, I think they will try.....then move on if they don't get a positive response. I do think you'll see Personas series on Nintendo in terms of mainline, no different then I think you'll see ports of SMTIV and V or some collection on PS and PC in the future based on how Sega ports stuff. A topic for a different day though.

Danjin44

he persona series so popluar, I disagree on them getting the better games.
It just matter of taste, I personally like SMT series faaaaaaaar more than Persona. They much better combat, boss fights and story.

As much as I enjoyed Persona series they are just appetizer, meanwhile SMT is main course.

Laieon

I think I agree. I loved P5R, but it felt about 20 hours too long (and it was my first Persona game, so I didn't know I had to befriend a certain character to unlock the additional semester, which really sucked to find out after the fact). 4 Golden felt a lot more cohesive and while I think it overstayed it's welcome a bit (based on 5R and 4G, I think the series has a bit of a problem with not knowing when to end), it felt better than 5. I liked the small town ghost story feeling more than the big city of Tokyo. I think they're both incredible games though and it's quickly become one of my favorite series' since I played through P5R last summer. I really like Strikers too.

I might give SMT another shot with V, but IV didn't really grab my attention and I only remember putting a couple hours into it. I like the slice of life aspect of Persona quite a bit, that's definitely my favorite part. If I could have that without the dungeon crawling, I would be 100% okay with whatever that game turned out to be.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It just matter of taste, I personally like SMT series faaaaaaaar more than Persona. They much better combat, boss fights and story.

As much as I enjoyed Persona series they are just appetizer, meanwhile SMT is main course.

I think the only story I like in that series is Nocturne. I never cared for the story in IV and hated that Apocalypses sequel, side game.....thing lol

Danjin44

If I could have that without the dungeon crawling, I would be 100% okay with whatever that game turned out to be.
Both Persona and SMT by nature are dungeon crawlers, if you don't enjoy that part of the game then yeah you are not gonna like SMT games. those games are all about combat and dungeons which is what I personally like about them more than Persona.

I think the only story I like in that series is Nocturne. I never cared for the story in IV and hated that Apocalypses sequel, side game.....thing lol
Both SMT IV and Apocalypses really pushed my skills, especially in harder difficulty, while Persona just way too easy, I don't have to do much to get overpowered in Persona games.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

The Persona gauntlet of 3, 4 and 5 is one of the best trilogies in gaming and story I have ever played. They are all uniquely different in tone and characters, enough that they each stand out. But 4 will still forever hold a place in my gaming heart and the friends I made along the way. I bought a Vita just to play it, it was my first persona experience. Amazing game, but really shined as a hand held title.

killatopak

Gold Member
P4G is my preferred game as well.

I dunno. Maybe I’m remembering wrong but I found that the P4 gang spent more time together. P4 felt like they’re really great friends while in P5 it felt like they were partners. I think this is more because it takes a long time for the full party to get together. P4 was relatively faster.

I also prefer the music in P4 although I kinda flip flop on that since I just like Jazz as a genre better. I think I laughed and felt great about P4 more than P5 but I guess it just goes with the theme.

Laieon

Both Persona and SMT by nature are dungeon crawlers, if you don't enjoy that part of the game then yeah you are not gonna like SMT games. those games are all about combat and dungeons which is what I personally like about them more than Persona.

Both SMT IV and Apocalypses really pushed my skills, especially in harder difficulty, while Persona just way too easy, I don't have to do much to get overpowered in Persona games.
I didn't mind the dungeon crawling, but I definitely preferred the way 4 did it more than the themed, longer dungeons in 5.

I've never been one for difficult games though, I'd much rather just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

JayK47

Great game. If only I had time to play it again. Where the hell did my Teddie plush go?

Last edited:
I liked it enough to platinum it. The dungeon design is still atrocious, but there is definitely a special something about P4 that is missing from P5 IMO.

cireza

Banned
I don't think I could replay this game. The story and social features were nice enough to carry me to the end (I got seriously bored after a while though, and the new dungeon was absolutely terrible). Mechanics and level-design however were very poor.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is the opposite. I completed the game twice because it is its mechanics and dungeons that carry the game, so it stays entertaining even when replaying it.

wa600

P5 (didnt play royal yet) also did not grab me as much as P4 did. P5 started really strong with the kamoshida arc, but after that none of the other antagonists reached his level.
I heavily missed the bonding between the cast that P4 offered. In P4 those characters really felt like a group of friends who enjoyed spending time together. In P5 it felt like almost all of the talk between the characters was just about what they had to accomplish about their next goal. Following the murder case was also way more relatable to me than what P5 offered.
And normally its super rare that a single scene makes me want to shut down my console, but P5 did that: I really hated how they handled
Akechi. After all what he did to you and in general the cast was way too friendly and understanding after your fight with him. Hated this so much.

Overall P5 was still a more than great game that I enjoyed very much. But P4 will probably forever be in my personal top 5 games I played.

Chukhopops

P4G is better because:
- much better cast and cast ;
- more memorable soundtrack;
- more challenging gameplay when P5 is just ambush - multi target magic - baton pass - multi target magic;
- murder mystery storyline works really well for the story, whereas P5 feels like disjointed arcs that could be removed and not affect the overall plot.

Only thing P5 does better is palaces, and not all of them are actually good.

Just an opinion of course.

GymWolf

I played the original Persona 4 on PS2 back in the day, but never came around playing Golden until now.

I played Persona 5 Royal last year, and I gotta say that I enjoy P4G more. Sure the graphics are dated, but for some reason I felt that P5R were much more busywork. It had more mechanics, longer dungeons, and a duller story. I never liked all the crap securing a route that took away 3-4 days of the calender. Here you can clear a dungeon on the last day. I also like the OST more in P4G. It is fantastic, and i never get tired of the overworld song.

Dojima -> Sojiro
Not only that but most of the cast is more likeble in P4G; in my opinion of course.

That said, P5R is not a bad game at all, it is just that I realize that P4G gets the edge for me
Really? because the reason i never played p4 was because people in forums was saying that p5 streamlined a lot of things (like it was for monster hunter with the world iteration) and the main plot being predictable and kinda boring...

I have the game on my vita since forever...

Last edited:

SantaC

Really? because the reason i never played p4 was because people in forums was saying that p5 streamlined a lot of things (like it was for monster hunter with the world iteration) and the main plot being predictable and kinda boring...

I have the game on my vita since forever...
There are more mechanics in P5R, there are more stressful deadlines, more cutscenes with pointless texts and longer dungeons with terrible puzzles.

P4 is more straightforward with almost everything. The main plot in P5R is also more boring but might be just me.

Last edited:

Paasei

I've seen the intro of this game a long time ago. Still have to play this game. Have no experience/knowledge about the series, but somehow it just looks appealing. Like those gold old point and clicks.

Gotta get the Vita version, seems perfect for it.

GymWolf

There are more mechanics in P5R, there are more stressful deadlines, more cutscenes with pointless texts and longer dungeons with terrible puzzles.

P4 is more straightforward with almost everything. The main plot in P5R is also more boring but might be just me.
Well, another one to add to the pile of games that i need to play (at least i already possess the game), i don't particularly like playing on mobile consoles but this one has turn based combat so i think i can manage that without cramps on my hands.

Last edited:

SantaC

Well, another one to add to the pile of games that i need to play (at least i already possess the game), i don't particularly like playing on mobile consoles but this one has turn based combat so i think i can manage that without cramps on my hands.
The game is $20 on steam if you prefer to play it there.

GymWolf

The game is $20 on steam if you prefer to play it there.
Nah, like i said, turn based combat is ok even on mobile, last time i completed a kinda frenetic game on vita was with hotline miami and i was in amsterdam so being utterly stoned probably helped with the hands pain :lollipop_squinting:

( i have big hands)

Last edited:

Salz01

Playing my first Persona game, P5R. I’m just starting second dungeon, and the chores/activities to do in order to level up, are starting to grate on me. It also feels like after every few days there is a new mechanic to track or learn. I’m trying to understand why this format is so popular and who the intended audience is. Real high schoolers, may be able to relate to some of themes, but the amount of effort needed, and dialog to track keeps breaking the pacing. I could see current high schoolers dropping the game. If it’s targeted to older grownups, it comes off a bit creepy. Especially with all the dating high school confidants that range from other teenage girls to more mature women like drs and teachers. Im going to press on though.

Hadoukie

P4 is my least favorite Persona. Story and characters just didn't grab me, and the nonsense you had to go through to get the true ending was annoying.

P3 is where it's at tho. Should be one of the poll options. Best story and characters by a mile.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I like P4 more simply because the story resonates with me more than P5. P5 story is great(never understood the criticism made by a minority that the game is bloated, but alas), but there is something in P4 that just pleases me to no end.

Having said that, P5 is a superior game to P4 in every possible way.Gameplay, dungeon, exploration, time management, etc.It is a masterpiece.

SantaC

P4 is my least favorite Persona. Story and characters just didn't grab me, and the nonsense you had to go through to get the true ending was annoying.

P3 is where it's at tho. Should be one of the poll options. Best story and characters by a mile.
The problem is that P3 is butchered. There is no definite version. There is P3FES which has no AI control, and you have P3P which has no overworld but AI control and a new MC.

Until Atlus fixes this; i cant pick it for its faults.

Last edited:
Top Bottom