• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I am dealing with a scammer this week....

SCB3

Long story short, I sold 2 of my PS4 consoles this week on a local selling app here in the UK. One was without a HDD and the other was fine. Seller came and bought with cash, no issues there, he didn't even want to see them working nor did I offer.

A few hours later he then messages me to tell me that neither are working, which I found odd as I tested both that morning and were fine. So I thought whatever, come back and get a refund, I wouldn't be in for a few days anyway so we could arrange it then.

A few days pass and he doesn't message me at all, the date passes and a no show. So I thought maybe something came up or whatever, I then started to think, "What if he's just changed the serial numbers or something? Or is this a scam?" So I messaged back saying that as it's been a few days/over a week, I'm rescinding the Refund offer as I could not guarantee that the consoles would be returned in the same condition and that they hadn't even messaged me since then.

He then started messaging me stuff like "Well I'm coming on Sunday and I will be getting my money back one way or another" and similar threats like that, I reported him to the app with screenshots and politely informed him that I can always just get the Police involved if he wants to make threats and finally if he shows up to my house on Sunday I will call them. I then checked his reviews on the app and saw a few others had issues with him over selling consoles and then him threatening to put windows through or getting offensive when questioned. My only worry is of course he shows up on Sunday with friends and I'm only here with my kids atm.

So anyone else dealt with this kinda thing?

Edit: I should add that I only sold them for £150/$175 for both, so it's not even alot of money

Last edited:

sainraja

I would report him to the authorities right now given he's already made a threat to you. But if he tries to take you to court (if that is what he meant), do you have recorded videos of the systems working?

Last edited:

SCB3

I would report him to the authorities right now given he's already made a threat to you. But if he tries to take you to court (if that is what he meant), do you have recorded videos of the systems working?
Possibly, I didn't take any beforehand but I did sign into PSN to delete my stuff from there beforehand, maybe theres a record of those sign ins

Alebrije

Be prepared ...

giphy.gif

....seriously report to police.

*Nightwing

People like that always seem to be wannabe thugs. He'll prob come by and try and shake you down to get you to refund out of fear but too chickenshit to ever be hard enough to be a real criminal.

Get the police involved as of now with all the evidence u have of him threatening u, bitch out and pay him, or take matters into your own hands and don't hesitate to knee-cap him with a lead pipe so he limps the rest of his life the first sign disrespect he shows if he shows up on Sunday. Please don't pick the middle option!

Ceadeus

He really is miserable if he ever comes to your home threatening you for 2 used video game console. At this point I would just call the police. One way or another, your PS4's were in good working condition, you know there's something fishy with this guy.

Rule no 0. - Never let unknown randoms into your house to collect the items you're selling. Always choose a neutral place. Nearby police station is always recommended. Restaurants, arcade centers/game centers (if they exist at your place) and game stores wouldn't mind connecting your consoles for a short demo.

For your current situation, save those text messages from him threatening you, tell him that he ain't gettin' shit and CALL THE POLICE right away.

He's 100% played on the inside, replaced your capacitors and other IC on the motherboard for faulty ones.

Hope you are safe, OP and don't do this again, especially with kids around.

sainraja

Possibly, I didn't take any beforehand but I did sign into PSN to delete my stuff from there beforehand, maybe theres a record of those sign ins
Hopefully it does not come to that and I guess if it is a used sale it is generally considered an as-is sale. In the app, did you make any mention of a refund policy? Also, the app, what type of policies does it have for you selling on their platform?

Last edited:

SCB3

Hopefully it does not come to that and I guess if it is a used sale it is generally considered an as-is sale. In the app, did you make any mention of a refund policy? Also, the app, what type of policies does it have for you selling on their platform?

Nope I mentioned the exact issues and sold as seen for a quick sale

Schpock, the app I used only covers buyers if they use online sales via the app only

johntown

Banned
If you can confirm it has not been tampered with and is the same condition I don't see why you would not give him his money back. With COVID who knows what may have happened or what could have came up. Try to see yourself in his shoes? You buy something and it doesn't work, something comes up and you don't respond right away but then when you do the seller tells your SOL. I don't know anyone who would respond nicely to that.

IMO tell him you will inspect the items for tampering or damage and as long as they are in the same condition you get a refund and if not nothing. If he makes threats at that point then I would get the police involved.

sainraja

Nope I mentioned the exact issues and sold as seen for a quick sale

Schpock, the app I used only covers buyers if they use online sales via the app only
Got it, then I would say just report it to the authorities or consult them on how to handle this situation. Tell them what happened and let them know the guy said he'd come to your house in a threatening way. I can't think of any other options. Best of luck though!

SCB3

If you can confirm it has not been tampered with and is the same condition I don't see why you would not give him his money back. With COVID who knows what may have happened or what could have came up. Try to see yourself in his shoes? You buy something and it doesn't work, something comes up and you don't respond right away but then when you do the seller tells your SOL. I don't know anyone who would respond nicely to that.

IMO tell him you will inspect the items for tampering or damage and as long as they are in the same condition you get a refund and if not nothing. If he makes threats at that point then I would get the police involved.

Yknow what, I'll take this advice, can't be fairer than that really

Stuart360

I would inform the police of the situation, explaining everything that has taken place so far, and then they are in the know if anything does happen.
Imo he probably wont try anything. From what you have said it sounds like he's a scammer that does this thing a lot. He will probably look at this situation as 'you win some and you lose some', and not take it further.
If he DOES show up, just call the police straight away. Thats why it would be a good idea to inform the police of whats happened so far, so they will know.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
My only worry is of course he shows up on Sunday with friends and I'm only here with my kids atm.

Edit: I should add that I only sold them for £150/$175 for both, so it's not even alot of money
Bruh, you’re selling on an equivalent of Craigslist and meeting them at your place? Wut?

The only time I do that is when I sell some baby items, since no way someone will scam on that.

Oof, never meet at your house for these sorts of things. Always do so in a neutral location. As others have said, tho, I'd notify the police and any close friends/family, just so people are in the know.

Yknow what, I'll take this advice, can't be fairer than that really
You gonna let him come over on Sunday when you got your kids at home after he threatened you? You said he's got reviewed saying he's threatened other sellers too, this isn't even an isolated thing. I wouldn't even risk it.

V4skunk

Banned
Long story short, I sold 2 of my PS4 consoles this week on a local selling app here in the UK. One was without a HDD and the other was fine. Seller came and bought with cash, no issues there, he didn't even want to see them working nor did I offer.

A few hours later he then messages me to tell me that neither are working, which I found odd as I tested both that morning and were fine. So I thought whatever, come back and get a refund, I wouldn't be in for a few days anyway so we could arrange it then.

A few days pass and he doesn't message me at all, the date passes and a no show. So I thought maybe something came up or whatever, I then started to think, "What if he's just changed the serial numbers or something? Or is this a scam?" So I messaged back saying that as it's been a few days/over a week, I'm rescinding the Refund offer as I could not guarantee that the consoles would be returned in the same condition and that they hadn't even messaged me since then.

He then started messaging me stuff like "Well I'm coming on Sunday and I will be getting my money back one way or another" and similar threats like that, I reported him to the app with screenshots and politely informed him that I can always just get the Police involved if he wants to make threats and finally if he shows up to my house on Sunday I will call them. I then checked his reviews on the app and saw a few others had issues with him over selling consoles and then him threatening to put windows through or getting offensive when questioned. My only worry is of course he shows up on Sunday with friends and I'm only here with my kids atm.

So anyone else dealt with this kinda thing?

Tell him you know where he lives.

I only do deals in public places and never give any personal info. I intentionally meet far enough from my home that you would never be able to find where I live. I don’t give out my email or phone number either.

Last edited:

SCB3

Ok, Update, he backed off as soon as I mentioned I have evidence of them working so I win

And yea I know I fucked up, bit too trusting of people (never had an issue before and have done this a lot of times) so I can always use it as a learning experience

stn

I sold a gaming recorder to a person once. I told him we could test it at his house, he instead asked for a discount in exchange for no test. Deal. He later emailed me saying the device wasn't working (total lie), and I called him out on it and told that I gave him a discount per his request. Never heard further. Good riddance to these scamming fucks.

Selling stuff to strangers is always sketchy. Hell trying to give shit away online usually turns out that way. Try parting out car parts some day, it's a fucking nightmare.

SCB3

Selling stuff to strangers is always sketchy. Hell trying to give shit away online usually turns out that way. Try parting out car parts some day, it's a fucking nightmare.
I can imagine given how much of an headache selling a car is

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
He’s in the UK where ‘notifying the police’ is equivalent to sticking a plaster over a crack in the hoover dam.

Top Bottom