• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, forget about MS and Sony for a while. Who's your favourite in THE OTHER FIGHT?

Who's giving you more to your gaming in these days, SEGA or Nintendo?

• SEGA

Votes: 85 47.8%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 93 52.2%

• Total voters

Azurro

Banned
I think the last Sega game I played was Valkyria Chronicles, either that or Virtua Fighter 5 back on PS3, and I don't buy Nintendo hardware since the wii, it's just too archaic. So, no, no dog in that fight. Back in the 8 bit/16 bit days though, I was team Nintendo all the way.

Oh wait, they published the first Bayonetta, right? I did play that.

Last edited:

Aion002

I loved Sega on Mega Drive, I love Sega on PC and I love Sega as a third (Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona...).

So Sega! The only thing from Nintendo that I once enjoyed was Pokemon...

Last edited:
Sega basically just makes Yakuza games now pretty much. Which is a good series for sure but not my favorite.
I mean if Sega were still publishing Platinum Games projects I'd maybe give it to them. But they gave up/didn't have enough money for that and Nintendo had to save Bayonetta 2, so......

Yeah I don't even care for Nintendo that much nowadays either. Loved BotW but that's the last game they made I've enjoyed. I'm a huge Metroid fan so I hope Prime 4 is good but all the delays make it hard to get excited. Same goes for Bayonetta 3. I'd be hyped for that if they showed anything.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo’s characters get eyes on them and are overall more important than SEGA’s nostalgia even with Yakuza being a hit today.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sony and MS are always second to me. Nintendo always has that one game that gives me that same feeling I had when I was a kid playing a really great game for the first time.

Xenon

Sega, I've played SoR 4 and Genesis Collection more than any Nintendo games.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
Sega has made and published some great software, while Nintendo has focused more on hardware. I say it’s a tie.

Nintendo’s first party offerings are garbage. They can’t make a fun videogame to save their life, but the Switch is such a brilliant innovation of gaming convenience. It seems stupid, it’s just a tablet really, I can’t explain it. I fucking hated their wii consoles.

This is my Switch playtime...do you see many first party games there?
ZP9094X.jpg
EhqYTJp.jpg

5UsjuzH.jpg

I mean, there’s donkey kong, but that’s retro...

Mario is now an adventure collectathon. Like an old Rareware game, I’m collecting hearts and stars and clovers in each level. Didn’t this used to be a platformer?

Zelda has no dungeons or the tool upgrades you used to find in each one. It’s a terrain demo with outfits you buy at the shopping center to keep warm. It’s like my mom made this game. Don’t forget your sweater honey, it’s too cold out for your adventure!

If you put a different protagonist in Nintendo games, with a different developer name on the package, nobody would give a shit.

They consolidated console and handheld hardware and yet still can’t release anything interesting at all to play.

Last edited:

Woopah

My first ever console was the Sega Mega Drive but my favourite Sega games have been their PC output (Total War). Never got into Sonic but really enjoy Zelda, Mario and Metroid. So I would say Nintendo but with the caveat that I've never tried any Yakuza or Atlus games as they never looked appealing to me. So maybe I am missing out and just not realising it.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Lol, some got a lot of nerve to say Sega is only Yakuza since they ignore their new IPs (classics now) on PS360 and now will criticize Sega for porting them on PS4 (like Nintendo did with Wii U games on Switch)

Yeah, there are less diversity than before but more than most publishers

Valkyria Chronicles

Puyo Puyo Tetris

13 Sentinels

Sega World Drivers

Age of Empires 4 (developed by Relic)

Sangokushi Taisen (AM1)

Alien Isolation

Chuchu Rocket Universe

Total War Warhammer

Sakura Wars

Dragon's Crown

Two Point Hospital

7th Dragon (Phoenix Rie)

Soul Reverse (AM2)

House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn

Football Manager

Persona 5R

Border Break (AM2)

I didn't put a load of obscurs (but still fresh) arcade games but there is still more IPs than 95% of publishers.

Plus, Utsumi (Dreamcast line up) is back at the head of Sega Japan Studios since 2020 which means we'll see more diversity and new franchises overall:

PSO New Genesis (PSO3 in fact)

Humankind

Re Fantasy

Alien Isolation Team new sci fi FPS

Shin Megami Tensei V

Sega could do better, that's true, but it's a little miracle to see them high in the charts and critics. (took more than 10 years to recover from the bankrupcy)

With all that war chest, Nintendo should be 10 times more competent than Sega with 10 times more outputs.
It's a David vs Goliath battle and Nintendo is not that impressive regarding their history, their fate.
They have good outputs, that's a fact. But honestly, they could do so much better with all that money.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Well sega keep winning the Metacritic best publisher so it's gotta be sega. They have been very consistent over the past few years.

Nintendo has disgusted me in the past few years so.

Sega wins
What disgusted a Nintendo fan, i'm curious. (i already know about the Sega/Shining/Shenmue fans)

Almost 50/50, not bad.

i loved both systems and i even went balls deep with sega and bought 32x..mega cd when they launched but overall nintendo was the console i ended back with

mcjmetroid

What disgusted a Nintendo fan, i'm curious. (i already know about the Sega/Shining/Shenmue fans)

Almost 50/50, not bad.
I don't really want to detail the thread too much. Although I suppose this is relevant.

Joycon drift
Timed game releases
Full priced ports

I started off very high at the beginning of the Switch towards Nintendo but it declines after year 3 of the console.

Fat Frog

I don't really want to detail the thread too much. Although I suppose this is relevant.

Joycon drift
Timed game releases
Full priced ports

I started off very high at the beginning of the Switch towards Nintendo but it declines after year 3 of the console.
I see, thanks.
My last Nintendo console was the gamecube (adorable powerful and cheap console)
When Nintendo tried to sell us almost the same hardware (the Wii) at full price, i quit.

SEGA has the IPs to rival Nintendo and even

BUT
Sega hasn’t made a game as a developer in eons. Publisher to me doesn’t count. Do they even have a first party still working on games? The only game they have in the works is Panzer Dragoon iirc. The spiritual successor to Sega in my mind is Platinum Games.

perhaps when MS leaves the console war SEGA can be resurrected and collab with MS to develop an ACTUAL Dreamcast 2

Last edited:

Fat Frog

SEGA has the IPs to rival Nintendo and even

BUT
Sega hasn’t made a game as a developer in eons. Publisher to me doesn’t count. Do they even have a first party still working on games? The only game they have in the works is Panzer Dragoon iirc.
You got it all wrong. (reversed reality)
Panzer Dragoon is not their only game in the works, it's the only game they just licensed (to Forever Enertainement and Wild Man) if you check the list i gave.

On the same page, developed by :

Sega of Japan (Am1, AM2, CS1, CS2, RGG)
50%

Atlus (Atlus is Sega though)
5%

Sega West (TCA, Amplitude, Sport Manager, Hardlight)
40%

Published :
Vanilla/Atlus
5%
In addition, we didn't count Yakuza games...

On the other hand, it's not like Nintendo had no partners developing for them:

Koei Tecmo
Gamefreaks
Velan
HAL ? (2d party it seems but i'm not sure)
Imagineer
Paladin

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I've just bought Persona 5 Strikers and Yakuza Like A Dragon, so I'll go with SEGA (I don't own a Switch).

Top Bottom