• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So far, Series X and PS5 are pretty disappointing upgrades over One X and PS4Pro

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Have you even played RDR2 maxed out on PC?
Why bring PC into a console thread? RDR2 looks good on PC - plays like shit tho' - but still a good looking game on PC.
The 30fps console version looks great, if you don't move around - just standing still on a hill and spectating the environment.
You know what plays excellent and looks even better on console?
Returnal - no competition.

I don't know what some of you expect- I was playing through Far Cry 6 yesterday on PS5 and the level of detail and beautiful scenery was astounding. All at a brisk 60 fps! Gaming today, if nothing else, looks amazing!
Even with all the screen tearing? Yay next gen

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned

"I’m sure you have heard that the Xbox Series X supports all RDNA 2 & Direct X 12 Ultimate features. One of the features that should bring a significant performance boost in games is Mesh Shaders.

We have yet to see games utilizing Mesh Shading and we are not sure what kind of performance increase this will bring in games. However, there are benchmarks that present potential gains already. One of the most exciting demos showcasing how this new technology works is the “Advanced Mesh Shaders” presentation by Martin Fuller. He runs a program on an Xbox Series X dev kit with Mesh Shading enabled in real-time. When he enables Advanced Culling it cuts the rendering time by half."

So apparently there is a function built into the hardware of the series x / s, this function is for a next-gen only feature called mesh shaders which will double the performance of the Xbox series x / s. From what I understand there are no games that you can play right now that utilize mesh shaders because the studios have to rebuild their game engines for it. I think the first games to utilize mesh shaders are coming out next year. It doesn't look like the PS5 is going to utilize mesh shaders as I believe it was something Microsoft developed. I firmly believe we're going to see a huge leap in graphics once the studios rebuild their game engines to take advantage of all the next gen features.

And for the record yes I'm biased against PlayStation I've been an Xbox gamer since I was 15, I'm 33. Traded my PS2 in for an Xbox when I was 15, why because I played Halo at a friend's house and I thought it was such an awesome game I had to get my hands on it.

My ps4 does that, i want a ps5 but can't get one because of scalpers and shit resellers. Wish i could have this but sony doesn't want my money. I want demon souls so bad! And to finish games i didn't get to finish like god of war, spiderman, ghosts etc..

They sent me an invite email on Sunday night. For Monday morning a 1 hour window. I didn't see the email until today. What type of bs is that giving you less than 24 hours notice for a chance to purchase the console. It's bs.
I have been trying since pre-order day when i got screwed out of that. PS4 i preordered right away at gamestop by putting my name in their list and was there day 1 couldn't do it this year, thanks fing covid.
I am going to keep bitching about it until i get to buy one at msrp. Its bs this is even an issue and people that have them already act like "its so easy" . its not.
I wouldn't care if my ps4 didn't sound like a jet plane.

I have my switch and a launch ps4 that heats the room up 10 degrees and a ps3 with no working bluetooth or wifi, and a pc (with 3060ti)
its still nuts how more than a year since release people are still struggling. i was lucky enough to get it day one. the pre orders went live in september after the showcase past midnight so not a lot knew about it but i stayed up.

i recommend getting hotstock app my brother was using that and he got his a few months ago. if you buy the premium version and it's not a lot it's like a couple of bucks, you'll get notifications immediately if any retail that sells them has them in stock so you have a good advantage because of that.

heres a link https://www.hotstock.io/us/p/sony-playstation-5-console-ps5

Why bring PC into a console thread? RDR2 looks good on PC - plays like shit tho' - but still a good looking game on PC.
The 30fps console version looks great, if you don't move around - just standing still on a hill and spectating the environment.
You know what plays excellent and looks even better on console?
Returnal - no competition.
The point is we haven't seen anything not done better on earlier hardware (apart from loading). I'm of the opinion that those true next gen looking games are coming but we haven't seen them yet. If you all are happy with Returnal and R&C (both of which have been bettered by other games) I'm happy for you but I expect more from these consoles.

Just wanted to add I think the game awards coming up will show us some true next generation looking games. Unfortunately for console gamers it probably means going back to 30fps but that's the price we'll probably have to pay to see Unreal engine 5 level of graphics.

Last edited:

xiseerht

Sorry man , But I do have a great TV that hits 120hz and great HDR. ( I do need to improve my soundbar though) But this gen has been outstanding. I get to play the best versions of my OG Xbox , 360 and Xbox One games on my Series X. I think I play Fusion Frenzy more now than back in the day. lol

pasterpl

people saying stuff like this act like flight sim and forza horizon 5 doesn’t exist on consoles.same applies to quick resume, and game streaming before you download, for some games I am not even sure I will download at all as xcloud on my series x plays like native In some titles. Some of these quality of life improvements are most next gen features.

Last edited:

Concern

Diminishing returns

We're not going to see the generational leaps we did before. Can't believe this thread got a whole other thread made just to reply. Lol wtf is going on here?

GymWolf

This is what happen when cheap gamers dont wanna spend more than 500 dollars for something that last like 8 years...

Then they fucking cry because those ancient hardware can't even handle crossgen games at native 4k60.

You love to see it.

MikeM

Is it even worth it if you don't have a 4k tv? i am still on 1080p and my tvs work fine. I am not getting rid of a working 55" set for a few more pixels.
What other than faster loading and demon souls does it even offer?
Absolutely. You don’t need a 4K TV to benefit from raytracing, increased FPS, load times, improved textures, etc.

FrankieSab

Um, but the RT in Metro Exodus is spectacular and comes at a relatively small cost.

It's the vindication of all the hype.
You are right, the best implementation of RT so far. Global illumination is a game changer compared to realistic mud of water.

TastyPastry

i think the pope said we'll see some real next gen stuff at the game awards so i have hope that we haven't really seen what the new machines are capable of yet

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The point is we haven't seen anything not done better on earlier hardware (apart from loading).

Office Space No GIF

StormCell

I don't blame the new hardware. Most of the games being released have horrible art styles.

In fact, I'd rather they dial back the awful animated foliage and implement raytraced lighting. It would make a huge difference.

anthony2690

Banned
I thought you said you had a PlayStation
I have a Xbox Series X and use to have a playstation, I got rid of my ps5 and switch, the ps5 I had was annoyingly loud every time I booted it up, and I hadn't used it for many many months, so let it go for what I paid for it, I did absolutely love Astros playroom, would love to see team Asobi make a new ape escape game!
& The switch, I found impossible to return too after playing series x and ps5, I think monster hunter 2 stories was the final nail in coffin for that device for me, honestly thought I was going to be sick when I got to the second city, huge shame, as I was massively hoping the switch revision would be a switch that would give me 60fps games, but sadly it was just an oled screen.
Plus I think I also came to realisation I am struggling to get through all the games I want to play on Xbox alone let alone other platforms.

:)

Last edited:

TheAssist

SSD loading speeds and 60 fps mode in most titles...yeah no I disagree. Graphics is not everything. All the games I've played on the PS5 just FEEL better, which is kinda important in an interactive medium. Graphics will improve over time.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The gen feels weird indeed. In the past 6 months I found last gen games (FFVII Remake & Shadow of the Tomb Raider) more impressive than pure next gen games like Demons Souls and, what I'm playing right now, Rachet & Clank. For quite some time I was really hoping R&C would finally be the game to wow me but I just started it a few days ago and am far more impressed by it's controller usage than it's graphics.

Last edited:

mrmeh

I had an Xbox one X, I could not go back from my Series S & X as loading times killed games for me. Not just the initial load but just dying and respawning in some games was super painful.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dealing with load times already makes this gen my favorite, exclusives like ratchet and chief are getting their opportunity earlier than last gen. PS5 controller is tremendous.

I have a Xbox Series X and use to have a playstation, I got rid of my ps5 and switch, the ps5 I had was annoyingly loud every time I booted it up, and I hadn't used it for many many months, so let it go for what I paid for it, I did absolutely love Astros playroom, would love to see team Asobi make a new ape escape game!
& The switch, I found impossible to return too after playing series x and ps5, I think monster hunter 2 stories was the final nail in coffin for that device for me, honestly thought I was going to be sick when I got to the second city, huge shame, as I was massively hoping the switch revision would be a switch that would give me 60fps games, but sadly it was just an oled screen.
Plus I think I also came to realisation I am struggling to get through all the games I want to play on Xbox alone let alone other platforms.

:)
Sorry, the person I made the screen tearing comment to said he was playing FC6 on PS5.

Have both a 2080ti and picked up a ps5 yesterday. The ps5 is incredible in its own right, aside from the games (GoT, Returnal, FF7), being able to sit down and not dick around with settings for a half hour before things look reasonable is so refreshing. The PC and consoles really fill separate niches. And the current gen consoles blow the previous ones out of the water btw. You really don’t know what you are talking about to suggest otherwise. Yes, if you play on a 720p screen with the ps3, ps4, and ps5, you’ll miss the whole point of generational upgrades. But if you throw that pa5 on an LG OLED and crank up Ghost of Tsushima, oh boy, time to change those pants boys. 😁

Last edited:
Load Forza horizon 5 on series x and a one x and see if the difference is not generational in graphics and loading
U literally can load the game in 2 seconds with quick resume where it takes literally more than 2 minutes to load on one x
+60 fps vs 30 fps
If u ask me it's the biggest Jump in console history

Top Bottom