• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So are Sony actually going to show anything during E3 ‘21 or what?

BootsLoader

Banned
I think that's fair. Good communication doesn't have to be done through things like E3.

I think it's reasonable that people expect something from Sony right now though. They've gotten a lot of bad press of late and there actually isn't a lot on their docket when it comes to next-gen games. People want to know what's up.

Is Spider-Man 2 cross-gen?

Are there any PS5 exclusive games to look forward to after Ratchet?

What's with GOW? You announced it for 2021 initially, so surely you can finally show us some of it? It needs to be done in about a year, so show something.

I think these are fair questions and you'd think they'd have an E3, as is typical of the industry, to catch us up on some of that.

As a Playstation fan, I'm not worried about exclusive games, but I am a little worried they are all going to be cross-gen. Horizon looks gorgeous, graphically. Gameplay-wise? It'll be great, just like the first, I'm a bit bummed that it won't be using next-gen features, like Ratchet and Clank is capable of doing, so I'd like to know there is more like the that coming down the pike. Most people bought next-gen consoles to see innovations in gameplay that is only possible on the new hardware.

I'm not sure why you have to look at everything through the eyes of Xbox. If Xbox jumped off a bridge, would Playstation do it too?
But if we are comparing recent showings to Xbox, than Microsoft has done a wonderful job. Their E3 presentation was great and it let people know what is coming down the line. Lots of specific information: 'Here are a ton of quality games coming down the line, here is the platform it is on, here is when they are coming, and here is how much it costs."
Ton of quality games….anyway. if you’re really worried about PlayStation exclusives then you’re not that fan of PlayStation. If there is a thing I’m never worried about when talking about PlayStation it’s the exclusives and their solid and steady output. Also how did you get that “if Xbox jumped off a bridge”….did I mentioned anywhere that Sony must do the same? You’re missing something. Sony never did the same and that is why it’s doing far better than MS.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Ton of quality games….anyway. if you’re really worried about PlayStation exclusives then you’re not that fan of PlayStation. If there is a thing I’m never worried about when talking about PlayStation it’s the exclusives and their solid and steady output. Also how did you get that “if Xbox jumped off a bridge”….did I mentioned anywhere that Sony must do the same? You’re missing something. Sony never did the same and that is why it’s doing far better than MS.
I am a fan. I think you’re looking at this from an antagonistic Xbox point of view.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sorry I forgot, this is GAF where Returnal and Ratchet are bigger IPs than Halo and Forza :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sadly for Sony, the real world doesn’t agree.
Halo is a bigger IP and Returnal and Ratchet are not even Sony's biggest titles.

Forza is not even as popular as you think it is.

The main Forza series is not that big, only Horizon is.

Btw, you can check main series sales and they're really not that big. It still relevant today.

Forza Horizon 4 managed 10 million players in about 5 months, a game that was released on Game Pass, PC and Xbox One.

You don't know how much the new R&C will sell, so it looks like you were just assuming based on no information at all and I'm not even surprised considering its from you lol

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm not even surprised considering its from you lol

R7ea6fbd43cad1f8f376bc982b9bae5a2

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Ratchet I beat in a weekend and forgot about 90% of the story already. Returnal wasn't really my cup of tea. I hope Horizon makes this year or it has been a pretty disappointing year for PS exclusives for me. Third party has been keeping me plenty busy though.

I hope Sony has a good State of Play sometime this Summer.

Last edited:
Especially considering the fact that they are all cross gen. By the end of 2022, MS will have at least two next gen games out in Starfield and that new Arcane game. I would be shocked if Sony doesnt have any next gen only games in 2022. They have had a fantastic year 1 already, but year 2 with just cross gen games is not a good look.

Well, another not so good look is if a cross-gen game such as God of War ends up being more impressive than those two titles...😏😏😏

Rudius

Not sure but one of those insiders on ResetEra today said they have a show arranged for "a couple more weeks".
No idea how accurate it is but she's apparently pretty good for info like this.
This makes sense. Since there is no live show anymore, why do yours at the same time everyone is doing it, just to share the attention?

yurinka

Not sure but one of those insiders on ResetEra today said they have a show arranged for "a couple more weeks".
No idea how accurate it is but she's apparently pretty good for info like this.
Geoff said after announcing Death Stranding Director's Cut that "the full reveal of the game is just weeks away.", which means Sony will have an event in a few weeks even if it's just to release a longer trailer/State of Play focused on this game. No insider info needed for that.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Last edited:

Redtemplar

Neo Member
As good as Returnal and Ratchet are, Horizon has to drop this year. Flight Simulator, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo is a quality and varied line up.
How do you know they are quality if none of them have released yet, now Returnal and Ratchet we know they have quality.
I will give you Forza horizon as the only one that will probably achieve the quality that you spoke off, now the others is a BIG UNKNOW

EDMIX

I think that's fair. Good communication doesn't have to be done through things like E3.
Understand that I agree with you that good communication doesn't always have to be done through stuff like a e3 but this is why I disagree with your next point

I think it's reasonable that people expect something from Sony right now though.

I do not believe it's reasonable that people should expect Sony to have something right now in fact I don't think it's reasonable to believe the majority of Publishers should be required to announce much of anything based on the pandemic and how crazy all that shit was last year so I commend any developer that gutted it out to show something.

That being said I do not believe they should feel obligated to cram their announcements in this klusterfuk.

Is Spider-Man 2 cross-gen?
Spider-Man 2? My God Miles Morales literally just came out about six months ago or so so I feel you're jumping the gun, they just finished Ratchet & Clank in your now asking for information on another game that might be extremely early and development so I feel maybe that might be a bit too demanding and entitled. Give the developer enough respect to have something deep and completion before rushing an announcement just to make an announcement.

I think these are fair questions and you'd think they'd have an E3, as is typical of the industry, to catch us up on some of that.

I don't think a lot of these are fair questions to be honest with you because some of the stuff you're asking for seems pretty extreme based on the circumstances of last year and literally development teams that may have not even started full production on some of the stuff you're asking for... so I don't believe they would have an E3 and I think if you even look at what they've been doing recently most would kind of know to not actually expect one based on what they're doing with state of play.

Looking at the numbers in regards to YouTube I've noticed lots of patterns that actually show Nintendo was very much on to something when they started doing those directs and they were very much ahead of their time in regards to Social Media communication because I think they saw you get diminishing returns with going to these type of press event competing against hundreds of announcements.

A perfect example to bring up ironically is when Sony themselves were at E3 in revealed Resident Evil 2 remake at the end of the day by any metric technically speaking this announcement should be much more Megaton then Resident Evil 3 remake as technically that would be the game that's more expected because it precedes 2, but when you actually look at the numbers more people actually viewed the state of play in a shorter amount of time for Resident Evil 3 then they did the E3 for Resident Evil 2 remake but clearly when you look it up it actually makes a lot of sense look at everything that was fucking announced that very day so how on Earth is Resident Evil 2 going to get the same amount of views if they're fucking competing against hundreds of other announcements at the same time?

and yet

Only major difference, one of those games was announced during an event here HUNDREDS of games are announced on the very same day.

I think they made a smart choice to wait it out and hog the media cycle lol.

Look at even Starfield in 1 day announced with a shit load of other games vs Battlefield 2042 announced BY ITSELF ALONE.

and yet

(BF 2042 in 1 day was at 11 million vs Starfield at 1.3 million)

Clearly, a difference exist from reveals when one is doing it on a day filled with them. I think Sony is making the right call here.

but I am a little worried they are all going to be cross-gen

I see no reason to be, they literally launched with exclusives like Demon Souls, Returnal, Ratchet etc. They'll show other exclusives when they are actually ready and I have no issue with this. People literally complained that Sony was showing games waaaaay too early cause they had to wait, not people are mad when they wait.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Probably not, conjecture seems to be they are planning something for next month, though i wouldnt expect many new announcements, probably updates on stuff we already know about. Like a horizon release date, god of war trailer, a new trailer and release window for gt 7 (considering they lied about the first release window, dont expect it to stick), as well as an update on some of the indies announced last year that they were helping to promote. Maybe ffxvi as well. If they do announce anything new, i suspect it will be the last of us multiplayer game.

that would be a solid showing for me, but pretty predictable. And if they do it next month away from everyone else, they dont need to share the spot light

Sorry I forgot, this is GAF where Returnal and Ratchet are bigger IPs than Halo and Forza :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sadly for Sony, the real world doesn’t agree.
Lmao it is pretty sad how we're still taunting Halo and Forza many many many years later to our dear lives as the best that Xbox can offer.

Its fucking sad, man.

Just throw in Gears and we can all go back to holding our "Holy Trinity", clutching them like the entire ecosystem of xbox relies on these games.

Last edited:

Larvana

People are gonna be disappointed when they find out Sony is only hosting another state of play that will last 30 minutes. Zzzz.

Neolombax

If Sony is just gonna show a bunch of CG trailers, I'd rather them not show anything.

I think Sony has already pulled out of E3 in favor of State of Play? I think its fine.

Tschumi

Isn't it common knowledge that sony don't do e3? Got their own thing? This has probably already been said for the last four pages but i just gotta share in the correctness.

I dont know, but maybe it's good thing. I don't have to listen to jim ryan talking sh*t. They only need to show games in state of play

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
they will have their own State of play:
1) Acquisition of housemarque, bluepoint and more
2) Ps1,ps2,ps3 BC on PS5
3) 1440p support, VRR support and internal NVME support
4) All new next gen PS5 games.

BElieve it!!! dattebayo!!!

i dont even know jordan maron GIF

Shifty1897

That's the million dollar question.

Now that Ratchet is out, we don't know a release date for a single upcoming first or second party game on the PlayStation. For all we know, nothing is coming out this fall and our PS5's and PS4's are paperweights.

This smacks of prerelease PS3 hubris. I'm a big Sony fan but I hope Microsoft kicks their ass this fall to send a much needed wake up call to Jim Ryan.

Dr Bass

That's the million dollar question.

Now that Ratchet is out, we don't know a release date for a single upcoming first or second party game on the PlayStation. For all we know, nothing is coming out this fall and our PS5's and PS4's are paperweights.

This smacks of prerelease PS3 hubris. I'm a big Sony fan but I hope Microsoft kicks their ass this fall to send a much needed wake up call to Jim Ryan.
So lets recap here.

MS still hasn't really released anything (but hey at least Flight Sim is coming next month), and has nothing truly of note until maybe mid to end of next year, unless you count a Halo that looks pretty bad, and like the 12th Forza game in the last five years or so.

Sony, meanwhile, has released Demon's Souls, Spiderman MM, Returnal, and Ratchet and Clank. Four incredible games, and one that is basically a new high water mark in visuals for video games, to the point that the general public would think it's a movie and not a game. And only about two weeks ago or so they released a preview for Horizon FW that blew a bunch of minds and a bunch of people thought it was the best looking console game yet.

And Jim Ryan needs a wake up call.

This totally checks out.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So lets recap here.

MS still hasn't really released anything (but hey at least Flight Sim is coming next month), and has nothing truly of note until maybe mid to end of next year, unless you count a Halo that looks pretty bad, and like the 12th Forza game in the last five years or so.

Sony, meanwhile, has released Demon's Souls, Spiderman MM, Returnal, and Ratchet and Clank. Four incredible games, and one that is basically a new high water mark in visuals for video games, to the point that the general public would think it's a movie and not a game. And only about two weeks ago or so they released a preview for Horizon FW that blew a bunch of minds and a bunch of people thought it was the best looking console game yet.

This totally checks out.
This is a bit disingenuous. You are not addressing the crux of his argument which is that we dont know any release dates for any future PS5 games.

I think Sony has done a remarkable job with the first few months of the PS5. Jam packed with games. But it's fair to wonder just what is next. Horizon demo was great. We know GOW and GT7 are 2022 titles. But all three are cross gen.

Are we allowed to ask what's next? Whats next for PS5 only titles after Ratchet? Will Sony even have a next gen only title in 2022?

E3s are about whats coming in the next year or two, and right now we dont really know much other than the three big ones which arent even next gen. It's absolutely fair to at least discuss what might be coming and ask just when Sony plans to share that info. Avatar, Suicide Squad, Redfall and Starfield are alll confirmed to be 2022 titles that are next gen only. I would LOVE to see Sony come out and show some Ratchet and Returnal quality next gen only game that will release alongside cross gen titles like Horizon, GOW and GT7.

ZehDon

Gold Member
So lets recap here.

This totally checks out.
So lets recap here.

If we ignore every single thing that Microsoft has done with the Series X to date, and we ignore all of its up-coming games - third and first party - that it just showed off, and we also dismiss the first next-gen releases of two of Microsoft's biggest franchises, and then we over-state the importance of Sony releasing a niche two-gen-old remake, a cross-gen standalone expansion, a niche rogue-like, and one system show-case title, we can make it sound like Microsoft is doing literally nothing and Series X is basically a scam, while Sony is absolutely crushing it with an endless steam of industry-leading-medium-defining game releases?

This totally checks out.

:pie_thinking:

Top Bottom