• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So are Redfall and Starfield the only headlining releases this entire year that we know of for Xbox?

T0minator

Always the ninja fanboy acting like he ain't a fanboy telling others they fanboys ... Fanboy-ception
I'm not a fanboy, I play great games on whatever platform. Whenever Xbox gets a banger I'm there to enjoy it, same with Switch and PS5.

I'm just calling you out on the ridiculous comment. I'm not here to argue about it. Facts are facts, both consoles have a solid exclusive lineup this year.

Varteras

Gold Member
Having two major titles releasing the same year isn't bad at all. Now, whether these titles live up to expectations, that will be hindsight.

Boss Mog

It's still better than last year's 0. And I say that as a Series X owner who would love to see more quality output from MS and its first party studios. Redfall looks bad imo though. Starfield is the only Xbox game I'm currently excited for, I hope it will deliver.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I would definitely count Spider-man 2 as announced, the TV ad spots do stay fall 2023.

Yeah. I mean, you can't even play the game that only actual dates matter. Because, well, look at Starfield. Having a date means nothing. But the clear intention is to have Spider-Man 2 out this year with a window.

Two headliners is basically what we get nowadays, I guess it’s three if you count forza. But I wouldn’t expect more than that from them as a publisher yearly. Kinda similar to ps5 last year with horizon, gow and gt7

Fredrik

Don’t miss the Forza Horizon 5 Rally Adventure expansion, which MS for some reason pretend doesn’t matter at all going by their lack of PR. Looks safe but plays like a mix of Rallisport Challenge, Sega Rally and Colin McRae and have it’s own full map and cars. Not as unique as Hot Wheels but plays great, first time I don’t need to use driving lines at all in a Forza, the pacenotes are spot on.

Ozriel

M$FT
I feel like people don't understand what a headlining game is.

A headlining game for a console is like Halo or God of War. Something that has people rush to stores.

But it seems that as far as solid release dates these are the only two so far. Here's hoping for something at the summer showcase.

Nobody cares. As an Xbox owner, I want high quality games. Makes zero difference to me if anything makes you ‘rush to the stores’.

Looks like a really good year too, especially if you’re on GamePass.

so...what is the point of your inquiry?

Mischief

reksveks

Re 'headlining game', I do think a bit part of that is related to marketing spend. I think Starfield could be a big one if Microsoft put the money behind it, if I was Microsoft, I would maybe funnelling marketing dollars to Netflix whilst you would be taking a cut out of that.

Isn't diablo 4 technically a Microsoft GAME?
Not yet but it gets a bit interesting as they already have the marketing deal on it.

That doesnt mean it comes this year. You have there a footage which seems to some Uncharted, Returnal, GoT etc...That image with SP could also refer to the PC release....
It says Fall 2023 whilst a promo for Spider-Man 2 shows, it's also can't be PC cause they are already out.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm not saying I disagree, but...

Holy shit. I'm glad I don't pay too much to gaming news because an unchallenged whopper like that would make my skin itch. That is an INSANE statement. . . unless he's just saying "We'll release a XBOX Studios" game. . . big or small.

As someone mentioned, if XBOX hadn't bought BETH, like what would be the conversation right now?

. . . I'm also loving that RF, a game I'm wildly looking forward to and that needs far more time in previews than it's received, is now a marquee release fot folks after getting hammered the last year.

Freeman76

So what? Those 2 games look really good, Starfield will be on most ppls list for months. I dont see Sony having loads either. Dont really see what point you have here

Kvally

Banned
I know people are distracted by the Activision deal, which itself could potentially make this issue moot. But we have to assume the possibility that it won't work out and I don't see people really talking about what Xbox has planned if that happens.

I feel like people are letting this slip by them. We had delays last year, but the only headlining potentially huge games to come from that were Redfall by Arkane, and Starfield by Todd Howard.

Nothing else has been announced but smaller titles or side plates like Stalker 2.

Was nothing else announced that I may have missed,that have the star power of Redfall and Starfield or are those the only two headlining games for the entire year? Yes, there 'may' be surprises at their summer event, but when is the last time we had a headlining game show up at one of those with a surprise release date the same year it was announced?
From Xbox Game Studios this year (2023), the big headliners are:

• Age of Empires 4 for Xbox
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Forza Motorsport 8
  • Minecraft Legends
  • Starfield
  • Redfall
Those I am buying for sure, as well as Replaced (though it's not first party). Pretty exciting year.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah, similar to how spiderman is the only first party playstation game that we know of. Xbox will also have forza motorsport (even though they lied about it releasing this spring) and hifi rush came out earlier this year.

By what standards?
If you are gauging on popularity then no Shit.
If you are referring to quality and effort and budget then you should go watch some of those videos explaining all the effort going into Hellblade 2. It was the headliner game at the Series X reveal.

If anything, I would be questioning quality of Spiderman 2, considering Insomniac released a couple of games in 2020-2021. It's a pretty short development cycle.

Compared to Hellblade which is in development much longer.

Not to mention Insomniac's tendency to rehash sequals. I would be highly surprised if anything other than graphics and animation were improved. Maybe npc lip syncing if Insomniac has enough time.

saintjules

I personally don't think racing games should be the leader of big releases for a Console.

They're good all around, but I think other genres should be at the forefront to help MS.

2023 MS is already set to be a banger of a year. Great variety and a much needed year after the abysmal 2022. Looking forward to their showcase in June to see if there are any surprises. Would be nice to have one extra release for the holidays.

Let's see. We're already 1/3 of the way into the year.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

If anything, I would be questioning quality of Spiderman 2, considering Insomniac released a couple of games in 2020-2021. It's a pretty short development cycle.

Compared to Hellblade which is in development much longer.

Not to mention Insomniac's tendency to rehash sequals. I would be highly surprised if anything other than graphics and animation were improved. Maybe npc lip syncing if Insomniac has enough time.
Unless they introduce certain aspects of the Multiversus. I’m not sure how much of a different game we should expect. Villain variety, more New York, more MJ, more MM, and that’s the game. I’m still going to enjoy it, but based on what has been seen, Hellblade 2 is turning into Xbox’s GoW equivalent.

3liteDragon

Read the post I'm replying to, idk what this tweet has to do with anything. Spider-Man 2 was announced in 2021 with an official 2023 release date, it got an official Fall 2023 date back in December. Hellblade 2 was announced in Dec 2019 & still has no official release date, they're not the same situation. Posting this tweet doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Read the post I'm replying to, idk what this tweet has to do with anything. Spider-Man 2 was announced in 2021 with an official 2023 release date, it got an official Fall 2023 date back in December. Hellblade 2 was announced in Dec 2019 & still has no official release date, they're not the same situation. Posting this tweet doesn't change that.
I posted the tweet to show you that things change. Shit happens.

Edit: I looked back, and I agree. They are not the same. Spider-Man has a window release dates, Hellblade 2 has no release date. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

2-3 "headlining" exclusives in a year is a solid number. You rarely see any of the 3 major platform holders release much more than that.

I wouldn't expect much more than what's already been announced for 2023 (which is plenty).

There comes a point where you'd be competing against yourself if you did too much more than that, tbh. I can't see more than 3 or 4 huge games a year from a first-party, they need these things to have some breathing room.

I'm not a fanboy, I play great games on whatever platform. Whenever Xbox gets a banger I'm there to enjoy it, same with Switch and PS5.

I'm just calling you out on the ridiculous comment. I'm not here to argue about it. Facts are facts, both consoles have a solid exclusive lineup this year.
Like I said fanboy-ception

I mean I really wouldn’t even call these headlines games. Both of these are new IPs (good thing) but you are all discounting the potential influence of Microsoft management (proven to be not that great, altho “hands off”). New IP always carry the risk of not being good like Anthem.

Bethesda’s track record lately has not been that great. I have some serious fallout 76 or cyberpunk vibes, these games will be decent to play a few years after release. Maybe not red fall because the dishonored guys are handling it? Even then, Redfall is not a headline game, it’s like The Outer Worlds level of impact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom