• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So About Zelda Skyward Sword's linearity

Marvel14

Banned
Oh! And it has skippable cut scenes!!! And fast text!!!!!!! One thing I'm still worried about is the noise it made in that trailer when Fi has something to say. Sure it's optional but it's not really optional if it still makes an annoying "ping" sound you're forced to hear. Is that just a trailer effect that won't be in the game? Surely it must be?
I'll take a quick ping over a dialogue box you need to close any day.

I wonder if the item management extends to buying selling and crafting. .I remember being super annoyed by the end of the game about all the repetitive dialogues every time you want to buy sell or craft...as if you hadn't done it 100 times already.

Marvel14

Banned
This is the only Zelda that genuinely brought a tear to my eye with its ending..the relationship between Zelda and Link is truly lovely....the story is great people...one of the best in the series if not the best. Dont skip the cutscenes!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I like SS a lot. It's a unique type of Zelda, and it's not as linear as some people would like us to believe.

The story was really gentle and I enjoyed it. I even like the sword controls(from the Wii version). The only thing I had major problems with was controlling the bird using motion. Very frustrating.

I will cherish replaying the game, now with better controls.

Last edited:

99Luffy

Banned
Nothing wrong with linearity.

There is something wrong with being an insultingly easy hand holding boring piece of garbage, which is what skyward bored is.
? Difficulty wise SS is probably a bit harder than the average 3D Zelda. And dungeons and puzzles are easily top 2 of all Zeldas.
Hell one of the common complaints were the trials and Imprisoned fights being too hard(which I dont agree with). And its sad too cause you could tell Nintendo listened to the fans and when BotW came they decided to make the boss fights stupid easy for the weak gamers.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Nice, okay, one last thing: Can I ask what GPU you have and with what internal res + MSAA/SSAA amount you were playing at?
I have a rx 5700 xt playing it at 4k and fxaa filter because at 4k you don't need antialiasing for these games, barely uses my gpu. Good news is I have a mini pc without a GPU just using an AMD apu (3200g) and I can play it 1440p with fxaa. Not too demanding these days. If you wanna play it with a controller I recommend this guy:
he has a version of the emulator with better textures and a gamepad profile. https://www.henrikomagnifico.com/texture-packs

Ezquimacore

Banned
Are the motion controls forced again when playing on TV, or can we play with simple buttons now?
not forced, now they added a button only mode using the sword with the right analog stick. I'm playing it like that on an emulator with a xbox controller and works pretty well.

• Fire
Reactions: TLZ

jigglet

Banned
I like SS a lot. It's a unique type of Zelda, and it's not as linear as some people would like us to believe.

The story was really gentle and I enjoyed it. I even like the sword controls(from the Wii version). The only thing I had major problems with was controlling the bird using motion. Very frustrating.

I will cherish replaying the game, now with better controls.

I'm with you on this. I loved the motion controls except for the flying. My fear is Nintendo will do what they always do and not give us all the options. It will be either the new controls, or motion controls. No mix of the two.

Kuranghi

I have a rx 5700 xt playing it at 4k and fxaa filter because at 4k you don't need antialiasing for these games, barely uses my gpu. Good news is I have a mini pc without a GPU just using an AMD apu (3200g) and I can play it 1440p with fxaa. Not too demanding these days. If you wanna play it with a controller I recommend this guy:
he has a version of the emulator with better textures and a gamepad profile. https://www.henrikomagnifico.com/texture-packs

You said you dont use AA at 4K, can I ask why you're using the FXAA? To give it a slightly softer look instead of being too sharp?

Ezquimacore

Banned
You said you dont use AA at 4K, can I ask why you're using the FXAA? To give it a slightly softer look instead of being too sharp?
Exactly, I already use AMD sharpening by default so fxaa filter on dolphin make it look softer, looks like TAA but not a blurry mess.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Only motion control issue I had was with forward thrust...otherwise I found them very satisfying.

I think they worked well enough. But by the end of the game the gimmick had worn off and I just wanted to press a button or slash an analog stick to swing the sword.

I really enjoyed the game, it has its flaws but for me at least the controls weren't part of it.

The one reason why I won't play it again, though, is those damn minigames. I hate Zelda minigames, but the ones in SS take the cake; the archery can be kinda cheesed so it's alright, but the Lumping Pumpkin? (F)unfun Island skydiving? Never. Again.

Jeeves

It has its flaws but "this game's big empty area is in the sky instead of the ground" might be the dumbest one that Zelda fans came up with to complain about.

Enjoy those dungeons, they're some of the best in the series. Personally I thought the story was...not one of the series' all-time greats, but better than BotW's.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I played it for 20 minutes. Cannot for the life of me remember why but I never continued playing past that 1st 20 minutes at launch and never played it again. I have it pre ordered through Amazon with the 2 Switch Zelda themed joy cons and I cannot wait to get into this game! I miss traditional Zelda so this should be right up my alley!
I bet you got stuck parachuting from that statue. That was an all out disaster afaic, but the rest if the game is great.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I stopped before the third dungeon but I still have my golden wii mote.
I'm doing the third dungeon, best time mechanic on a zelda game so far
1717c1a9b24fce6e5d584f1293934bc3f4024ecb_hq.gif

StormCell

There were a lot of things I admired about this Zelda, but ultimately it was an adventure I didn't care to repeat. In fact, I found myself struggling to stay awake while running around Skyloft in my most recent attempt to play (it's been a few years since).

The things I felt this game did really well:
  • enhancing items via crafting
  • Revisiting dungeons and finding they have changed with the passage of time
  • Best dungeon ever with the time changing mechanics

There are some things I don't really appreciate. I don't much like the skyworld-as-a-hub concept. The rest of the overworld just feels disconnected and more like a dungeon, itself, than a piece of the overworld. I also found the encounters with "demise" to be repetitive. I really don't care for this piece of the lore, in fact. Demise is an interesting concept. It feels more like a mechanic meant to potentially humanize Ganon down the road.

Ezquimacore

Banned
There were a lot of things I admired about this Zelda, but ultimately it was an adventure I didn't care to repeat. In fact, I found myself struggling to stay awake while running around Skyloft in my most recent attempt to play (it's been a few years since).

The things I felt this game did really well:
  • enhancing items via crafting
  • Revisiting dungeons and finding they have changed with the passage of time
  • Best dungeon ever with the time changing mechanics

There are some things I don't really appreciate. I don't much like the skyworld-as-a-hub concept. The rest of the overworld just feels disconnected and more like a dungeon, itself, than a piece of the overworld. I also found the encounters with "demise" to be repetitive. I really don't care for this piece of the lore, in fact. Demise is an interesting concept. It feels more like a mechanic meant to potentially humanize Ganon down the road.
Ganon was humanized 20 years ago
rqAs6HAyzy20xt87ao3Qj3ltFhTu4AczlQAp6NwrI-0.png

StormCell

Ganon was humanized 20 years ago
rqAs6HAyzy20xt87ao3Qj3ltFhTu4AczlQAp6NwrI-0.png

What the heck... is that actually in one of the games?

I just figure that somewhere down the road they will free Ganondorf of Demise's influence and we'll see Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda team up as the three pieces of the Triforce (united and at full force) to destroy or defeat Demise.

Ezquimacore

Banned
What the heck... is that actually in one of the games?

I just figure that somewhere down the road they will free Ganondorf of Demise's influence and we'll see Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda team up as the three pieces of the Triforce (united and at full force) to destroy or defeat Demise.
Yeah on Wind Waker he was a wise and calm dude. Your theory seems very plausible and I wouldn't be against that, he just need to sacrifice himself. It's the same ganondorf since ocarina of time so maybe he's tired of all the bs.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Is it as good as Wind Waker?
Not even close, unfortunately. Some think SS > TWW but I really don’t get those that hold that position

Skyward Sword is a polarizing game. I stand on the side that nearly detests it. But I still would rate it like a 6/10 maybe…

The best part about SS, is its story imo. No matter what, if you call yourself a Zelda fan it’s a must play. But personally, I would advise fans of the series to go in with lower expectations for this one. Out of the six total 3D Zelda games, Skyward Sword is easily the worst

Since you are looking for great gameplay with the dungeons then you will want to try SS out. The dungeon puzzles themselves and how you navigate throughout each dungeon was pretty good for the most part. There was one particular dungeon in the first half of the game that is extremely well designed

I’m very interested in hearing what newcomers to Skyward Sword will have to say about the game during and after their playthroughs. 100% completed the game a decade ago so this seems like an alright time to sort of revisit it vicariously through others

Could criticize this game for days and days tbh. There were so many things in SS that I took issue with and did not like. I think Hidemaro Fujibayashi dropped the ball with this one, but bottom line is that Zelda fans should still pick this up and enjoy what the game offers if this will be their first time playing

^^ Thread that sort of supports what I’ve said. A lot of Zelda fans were disgruntled back in the day with their experience while playing or having played through TLoZ: SS

Marvel14

Banned
I would not buy it for $50 or £45... its too expensive given its age and likely limited remastering especially graphically.

Folk should wait until it drops 10-15 $ or £ in price at least.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I would not buy it for $50 or £45... its too expensive given its age and likely limited remastering especially graphically.

While I'm not saying how people should spend their money, you know this game on the wii runs at 480p and 30 fps while on the switch is 1080p/60fps. While the textures are not updated the old version is not even playable on modern tvs.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Damn I miss bonified dungeons, im tempted. Is it as good as Wind Waker? Stupid question.
Hard to say.

SS is super unique in it's execution compared to other Zelda games. It feels more like Metroid at times than it does Zelda. It's a good game but gets bogged down by some really poor mechanics at times.

When it's good, it's amazing. When it's bad, you want to scream out in agony and throw something at the wall, lol. It's a 7/10 for me. People giving it a perfect 10 are absurd.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Yeah...its still 10 years old...had several major design flaws when it came out and the graphics look the same but cleaner...a framerate boost won't cut it. It needs a price cut to be worth the purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom