• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So about Red Dead Redemption 2 Honest Opinion..

bitbydeath

I didn't force myself to like anything. I didn't even like GTA V much but RDR2 besides some control issues is everything an open world should be.
The comments are filled with people saying they forced themselves through it and wouldn’t play it again. If it were made by anyone else it wouldn’t get the same time of day IMO.

Open just allows multiple ways of completing the mission. The mission doesn’t change. RDR2 has plenty of those “Ubisoft” go here and kill guys missions.

images
This screenshot is from Red Dead Online. I an talking about single player. Besides even if RDR2 had some of these missions, it’s a nice change of pace because RDR2 doesn’t stick to these missions for too long as there will be a big heist/set piece mission soon. There is variety and you’re not doing same thing over and over again.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Playing on PC with a mouse and keyboard really ironed out my issues with the controls with RDR2 on the Xbox. Much MUCH better experience. The game is slow to start for sure, but I like that about it, it takes it's time letting you get to know the world and characters and is incredibly immersive as a result. A stunning looking game too with a crazy attention to detail.

Woggleman

I really think Cyberpunk being such a letdown made people take a second look at this game and even if they don't like it they can respect and appreciate it.

Mozzarella

You need to provide more context to your issues, these issues you wrote are extremely shallow imo, yes the controls are clunky and that can be annoying and the game is slow paced.
Those two things cannot be changed so it looks like it not your type of game, this game is for people who like to immerse themselves in the shoes of some character and watch how he develops and how the story goes, so basically you play it for the open world and for the story, similar to Witcher 3 but it leans more to sandbox and less to rpg.
I think its a very good game but there are some things i didnt like, for example the outdated mission design that they still do since vice city, and the linearity of it, and also i dont like how gameplay barely evolves in all your game time, it helps that you can do some sandbox stuff but they get boring after a while, and most of them are tedious chores so for me i played it for the story and when i finished it i never touched it again, since Q1 2019 and till this day. But my sister still plays it because she loves the open world sandbox and messing around doing hunting, bounty, etc etc..

Also this is not that controversial, plenty of people on the forums criticize RDR2, if you want to stick out, criticize Bloodborne.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game got great graphics, atmosphere and really good story.
Too bad many of the missions are shite filler, the story is 20 hours too long and then there is another 10 hours after it should really end... like cmon.

bitbydeath

This screenshot is from Red Dead Online. I an talking about single player. Besides even if RDR2 had some of these missions, it’s a nice change of pace because RDR2 doesn’t stick to these missions for too long as there will be a big heist/set piece mission soon. There is variety and you’re not doing same thing over and over again.
Heists are just goto X and kill people too.
There’s nothing special in the gameplay.

Wunray

For me, the game is much more of an experience rather than a "game". Sometimes I would just ride my horse around and listen to the ambiance for an hour. Sometimes I'd go fishing or hunting and then set up camp so that I could wake up and make some coffee the next morning. I bet you'd find that extremely boring and wonder why the fuck I find enjoyment in that. Well, sorry, I can't explain it, partner.

wYgUvKQ.gif
This is how I feel, it's a once in a lifetime experience of a game.

Rival

Gold Member
I mean I don’t really like it either but you should give it more than 20 minutes. I decided I’d had enough after about 5 hours.

boomcrab

There are the obvious good parts of the game, but for me personally I enjoyed the first half of the game, totally immersed. Then the second half came and everything started to feel slow. I started to hate the loot system, hate the controls and just hate the pacing of every mission, story and otherwise. I had to ask myself "Am I having fun?" The answer was no and I never went back. Part of me wants to finish the story though, as that was one of the driving points for me to finish. Maybe after taking a long ass break I can come back with some actual energy.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
RDR2's side content is better than most games out today. It's that good.
That's like saying you are watching a movie for the trailers before it
Fuck side content. It's just time wasting for me. Not saying about toying in open world. Thats fun

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its ok not to like something.

But... Weather this game is worth your time really depends what gives you pleasure when gaming.
For myself I love a good story and tasks that are relevant to the story, I love exploration and finding unexpected and interesting things. If you also enjoy these things RDR2 is absolutely worth your time.

Last edited:
It has one of the best character arc's ever. With that said, I played it at release for 15h and then randomly dropped the game for a whole year before returning to it and actually finishing it.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
If you read some spoilers before playing it, it will be a 8/10 experience. If you're going blind, it's a damn good game, especially after mid section. First half is a little bit slow paced, yeah, but not that bad. Controls are okay, it's not a COD game after all. Just don't use that slow motion thing if you want some challenge.

I prefer RDR 1 over RDR 2 btw.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Amazing game, one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. It was like I was living that shit, I took my time and I savored every minute of it. If you try playing it like "go there do that fast" the game will suck.

bender

What time is it?
The game got great graphics, atmosphere and really good story.
Too bad many of the missions are shite filler, the story is 20 hours too long and then there is another 10 hours after it should really end... like cmon.

I gave up around the train robbery. I think my biggest mistake was replaying RDR leading up to RDR2's release. The mission design in the "original", to put it nicely, is really dull.

It's a slow-burn, immersive cowboy rpg that nails exactly what it sets out to do including the controls. While I can see why people who want to rush through just to get to another game hate it, I love it for what it is.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I enjoyed it, but your criticisms are valid. The early game and tank controls turned off some people I know early on as well. For all of its strengths and ultimately rewarding story, it has a slew of problems:

- The early game, first half hour or so, while it tells a good story and has awesome presentation value, is simply boring to actually play

- The controls are basically horrid. While it's better than GTA 5, it's still clunky, has extremely dated concepts like having to keep pounding on a button to run or gallop, is overly complicated with too many steps to perform very simple tasks

- At about 25% into the game they should have made fast travel effortless and the norm. It's nice getting a feel of the world and traveling to places for the first time. But after about 10-12 hours of that it loses its luster and doing anything becomes a chore

I_D

Most games nowadays suffer from trope-itis.
Cyberpunk, The Witcher 3, Horizon, Uncharted, Infamous, Assassin's Creed, Batman, etc. series all earned the "Press A to Skip Cutscene" treatment from me.

RDR2 is the only game in recent memory in which I did not skip a single moment.
If that doesn't convince you to check out the game, I don't know what will.

I love Arthur Morgan and the game is beautiful. But controls are shit, most missions aren't good. And I fucking hate the chapter when you go to "Cuba".

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The first few hours are very slow, but it opens up considerably after that. The game itself is a VERY slow burn though - it’s more about atmosphere and immersion and taking your time than it is “the gameplay”, as strange as that sounds.

And yes it’s one of the best of all time, but not because of the opening hours, I can tell you that.

BigBooper

It's not a controversial opinion. Lots of people felt the same about that game. It's incredibly slow and boring most of the time and the frustrating slow walking through camp and slow movement of the characters just makes it feel like molasses.

I played a few hours of Revolver and wasn't too impressed to continue, but Redemption 1 was an awesome game. It was also boring at times, but at least your character wasn't so torturously slow. I like it so much better than Redemption 2.

Redemption 2 does have some positives for sure though. Arthur Morgan is a well developed, interesting character. We don't get those in games very often. I also like the open world they created. Hunting and fishing for legendary animals was a great side activity.

MiguelItUp

I'd certainly say stick with it.

I loved both RDR and RDR2 a great deal. I adored John Marston as a character, and thought Arthur Morgan couldn't come close to him, but he did. IMO, he even surpassed him. The soundtracks for both games were also very solid IMO.

RDR flowed very well for me personally, however, RDR2 did kind of had a point where it lulled for me. But after pushing through that point, it immediately picked up and I didn't regret pushing whatsoever. The experiences are difference for everyone, but I always just recommend sticking to the primary quest line, and then doing side quests later. Primarily because it can all be so incredibly daunting, especially in 2. There's so much to do, and before you know it you're burnt out.

Both games were incredibly memorable for me. Were somethings funky? Oh totally! But it all revolved around controls, IMO. Something that you get used to after awhile and it's really not that big of a deal. Especially after getting more involved with everything.

i like it now. But its boring compared to the first game. I think games lose focus when they get too big.

i will say it was unplayable until they fixed the aiming. Idk how any of u put up with that terrible shooting

Hinedorf

Banned
Never understood the complaint with controls, game offers a lot of different options, takes a learning curve like any game but by no means is broken.

Sure random shit can happen, that's pretty much been a given in all GTA games. IMO it's the best told story of any video game ever. Has the greatest protagonist of any game of all time, again just my opinion but to just sell it short because you couldn't accept controls is a 'YOU' problem.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure your unpopular opinion is extremely popular. RDR2 is slow as fuck in all aspects, from the animation to the story.

I quit the game halfway through and considered it beaten. I actually enjoyed my time with it, but I had no patience for another 15 hours or so of playtime.

The game is a masterpiece, though. I envy those who managed to play through the whole thing.
Shame on Rockstar for not patching it on ps5/X! With how sluggish the animations are it would be such a better experience at 60 fps! They have no excuse really, they are still actively running it as a live service. They won't give their loyal customers for our loyalty and now having better hardware capable of running it well.

One of the best games of our lifetimes, up there with the likes of TW3. Sure the main story mission design is a bit dated in a way you can't deviate from presented path, but it's the overall package that is worthy of the highest praise. This is not some 7 hour corridor crawler. The only people who complain about controls are those who can't put 2+3 together. Oh no you have to rememeber a few different buttons, unlike most other games that play themselves. I think that just added to the immersion.

The way it looks doesn't bring the game down either.

SZips

I don't think I ever made it past Chapter 2, maybe Chapter 3. The game felt like a chore to play. Every action, especially when trying to loot anything was just so deliberate, like you had to know you needed to loot this object or person because you're gonna be there a while. I know what Rockstar was going for, but it just didn't feel fun to play.

I might try it again some day. I keep mulling it over in my head if I want to do it but I always seem to find some reason not to, at least not yet.

WitchHunter

So this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but it's something I need to get of my chest.

I remember playing Red Dead Revolver and loving that game.

Then Red Dead Redemption came out but for some reason I never had interest or desire to play it.

Then RDR2 got announced and it looked absolutely insane. I bought the game really cheap after a few months, played for 20 minutes and never touched it again.

So I will explain my issue with the game.

I understand why its so loved and I will agree that it is a very impressive game from the visual standpoint and realism from the videos I've seen. However, the first hour or so was so extremely slow for me and the awkward controls really turned me off.

So dear gaf tell me, and flame me if you wish but am I really missing out here? Should I give this game another chance? It's just a pet peeve of mine when games present you with many mechanics and controls that are just strange to get adjusted too. Also, the build up of the game in the snowy area for me just was not fun.

Does anyone else feel same way or share same sentiment? Is it really one of the best games ever? Do tell Gaf.
One of the best games, the question is where it stands on the ladder.

Malakhov

Banned
Dont really care if it's accepted as best game, it is one of my favorite games of all time. Arthur is probably my favorite character as well

So this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but it's something I need to get of my chest.

Then Red Dead Redemption came out but for some reason I never had interest or desire to play it.

Then RDR2 got announced and it looked absolutely insane. I bought the game really cheap after a few months, played for 20 minutes and never touched it again.

I understand why its so loved and I will agree that it is a very impressive game from the visual standpoint and realism from the videos I've seen. However, the first hour or so was so extremely slow for me and the awkward controls really turned me off.

So dear gaf tell me, and flame me if you wish but am I really missing out here? Should I give this game another chance? It's just a pet peeve of mine when games present you with many mechanics and controls that are just strange to get adjusted too. Also, the build up of the game in the snowy area for me just was not fun.

Does anyone else feel same way or share same sentiment? Is it really one of the best games ever? Do tell Gaf.
OP don't feel bad about not liking the game. It's all subjective. I agree with you in that "fun" is not RDR2s strong suits. What it excels is at the production values, best in class open world, and unmatched attention to detail. I would at least urge you to play through till you climb down from the mountain and setup your second camp. And then explore. The world Rockstar created is truly something else.

But it's not what I'll call "fun". Missions are extremely linear and that's frustrating given the open world nature. Story is just too long and plodding despite some good character work. I'm in Chapter 4 having played a good 30 hours, and I think I'm done. I had a good experience in that time exploring the map and getting immersed in the world (the strong points of the game), but the plodding story and the restrictive gameplay means I'll not be continuing.

dano1

A Sheep
Played maybe 4 hours. I totally agree with you! Gunplay is just plain crap! And you do a lot of shooting! Now FC6. So much fun.

Jack Uzi

Banned
I forced myself to finish it, I disliked it but i paid £60 so i had to get my moneys worth. It was a chore to play and repetitive. It was over for me for certain once they ended up on that island. I didn’t like any of the characters. Oh well.

Kappa

Controls are the shittiest in the business and i cant put up with them for more than 10 mins but the game is best in class otherwise

Hydroxy

I didn't like it too. Played about 10 hrs and gave up. Hated the controls, and how slow everything was. Story didn't seem all that interesting to me either.

mxbison

My opinion is that it's a great open world and I understand why many people love the game, but it's ridiculous how none of the reviews criticitzed the sloggy controls or dogshit mission design.

BaneIsPain

It still one of the best open world game. Yes, the control scheme a bit outdated (running need to press x repeatedly) or I read people complain about slow chore. Nevertheless, the story, immersion, graphic, the world and hunting outweights every negatives.

Barrico82

Banned
Loved every single moment of it.

The slow control and pace suited me, loved the story building the chracters, the gang and all of it.

I loved the side activities side missions, just immersion in that world was something else, the feeling of being lost in that incredible world created by R* .. it is the best world I played in any videogame

Arthur without a doubt the best new main character of last gen.

I have some little issues with the mission design however the diversity of those missions can somewhat make it up for the too linearity of the design of the missions

What I really miss from R* is the big missions with build up missions to a finale like the three leafs clover in GTAIV, that was one of the most memorable missions from them

Kathanan

I'm with you on this.. the controls are just as bad as in GTAV it kill the hole experience for me.

SSfox

I highly suggest anyone to start the game go setting controls, the default setting are really not that great(to not say godaweful), but you can set and edit controls and make the game much more fun. Surprisingly I don't see many people talk about it but it's super duper important when it comes to this game.

I loved the game I've 300h in solo and 2000h in online. Wouldn't mind play the story but i have other new games to play lol

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

It's a game for people who don't care, remember or notice what good gameplay is. I mean If you spend your gaming time paying Ubisoft games and stumbled onto this then wow yes it's amazing.

My issues with the game:
I'm going on the PS4 version now but the input lag was dreadful and I mean really bad

it barely worked as a shooting game,

the mission structure was very linear,

glitches out the ass,

"too realistic" everything was a chore just like in real life....yey?

you still had to tap a button to run.

Wanted system almost broke the game at points

I mean guys.. I get it it looks great, feels like a movie and all that. For everything it gets right it gets very right.

I was delighted god of war won game of the year that year when everyone thought it would be this thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom