• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a question about the GPU scalping

What is your personal experience with the PC GPU shortage so far?

• Total voters

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I'm just curious to know how many have actually been dealing with the GPU shortage and scalping issue. Feel free to discuss any aspect or tips, but I wanted to get a forum sampling.

GHG

Gold Member
Not desperate for a new GPU since my 2070S is performing well (thank fuck I got it just before the insanity started and didn't wait for the 3xxx series) and I have plenty to play on my PS5.

I'll be waiting for things to normalise again, if that means waiting until the 4xxx series then so be it.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Lol, that is the exact same one I got! It was apparently the last in stock from the tech website I ordered from. Crazy you can't even find those now.

Kilau

Gold Member
I decided to wait until DDR5 and other coming tech is out before doing a new build and was able to snag a Ryzen 5900/3070 combo laptop back in February at retail price to hold me over until then.

Patrick S.

Banned
Got a 3080 on November 17, 2020 at retail price, exactly two months after the cards launched. Was F5-ing Amazon like a madman for weeks, and managed to grab one in the few seconds it was available. Never saw a 3080 again on Amazon after that day, so yeah, I got very lucky indeed.

sP93XMz.png

ratburger

Slumming it on my 2080 Ti till the 4000 series is released. I considered upgrading for Cyberpunk, but that game turned out to be a disappointment.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I got a 3080 on launch day through sheer luck. I wouldn’t pay scalper prices if I hadn’t though. My 1080 was chugging along just fine. If I were still waiting I would probably just keep waiting for the next release.

Sentenza

I attempted to buy a 3080 on launch day with no success. I placed two distinct preorders while putting myself on the EVGA queue.
The first two got unceremoniously canceled four months later with a big "Fuck you, we are going to scalp your GPU at twice the price" from the vendors, I'm still waiting on the third.

TL;DR: I was ready to pay full price on day one for an high-end GPU without batting an eye and nine months later I'm still waiting as if I was begging for a gift from god.

But hey, at least I got the entire rest of my new PC in December.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I got a EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra at Microcenter for 950. I paid a bit more than MSRP but it was an AIB card and one of the better rated 3080s. I got it like in...March of this year I think..

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
- got a 3080 1 week after release from Newegg

- got a 3090 from Best Buy in January, sold the 3080 for $400 over what I paid

- finally reached the end of the EVGA queue in April (signed up on day 1 for a 3080 and had completely forgotten about it). Got that and sold the 3090 for $1100 over what I paid

- walked into Micro Center at noon on July 4th and they had a shitload of stock. Got a 3080 Ti for myself, passed the 3080 on to my dad, then took my old Radeon VII from his computer and sold it for $1600

Good times. I love this crazy GPU market.

Hoddi

I bought my 2080Ti at MSRP on launch. People were mad over the price back then but it's turning out to be one of the longer lasting PC components that I've ever bought. It's probably saved me $500 worth of salt at this point.

Sentenza

- got a 3080 1 week after release from Newegg

- got a 3090 from Best Buy in January, sold the 3080 for $400 over what I paid

- finally reached the end of the EVGA queue in April (signed up on day 1 for a 3080 and had completely forgotten about it). Got that and sold the 3090 for $1100 over what I paid

- walked into Micro Center at noon on July 4th and they had a shitload of stock. Got a 3080 Ti for myself, passed the 3080 on to my dad, then took my old Radeon VII from his computer and sold it for $1600

Good times. I love this crazy GPU market.
I wish I could beat you to a pulp.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I got a EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra at Microcenter for 950. I paid a bit more than MSRP but it was an AIB card and one of the better rated 3080s. I got it like in...March of this year I think..
Microcenter is the best! All my friends in Minnesota have obtained their 3080s that way. Tragedy, as none exist on the west coast, ooof.

Last edited:

Reallink

I’ve acquired 3 cards through the evga queue this year

Most (all?) of the 3080 models haven't even made it past the pre-release or day 1 sign ups AFAIK (predating the announcement of a formal queue by several weeks). So in all seriousness, the 4080 will for real be announced or right around the corner by the time they get to people who signed up in say October, November, or December of last year.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
For a sec I wanted a 3080 but I ended up deciding my 2080 is more than enough until the 40 series. It's handling what I throw at it admirably.

//DEVIL//

I had a 3080 retail price . One guy on market place offered me a 6900xt Asus LC and 600$ Canadian for my 3080.

this means my 6900xt Asus is about 800$ Canadian ( 650$ US?)

so yeah . I scalped him.

also here, video cards are available at retail price too ( though with bundles but yeah )

Last edited:

ahtlas7

My rtx2080 died so I had to buy... Fortunately I bought my RTX3080 only slightly above retail at material.net

GreatnessRD

I'm one of the EXTREMELY lucky ones.

When I built my current PC, I originally wanted a 6800/68XT, but it wasn't available, so I was able to grab a 3060 Ti on launch at MSRP. In June I was finally able to hit on AMD's website to get a 6800 XT at retail. I had no interest in paying any scalper prices. Shit, it took me a long time to convince myself to spend $650 on the 6800 XT, but I do know I'm extremely lucky.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I always skip a generation so I was on Maxwell 750TI/GTX980 until early 2020 when I bought a few 20 series RTX cards (1660super/2060super/2070super)

I was never interested in RTX 30 series because of a lack of a new codec and not needing the extra power (also so ugly)

Boy oh boy did I dodge a bullet! I got all the cards I wanted and am waiting for lovelace

I have a vega64 and it's still a fairly capable card. I have no interest in buying overpriced cards. When the prices come down to a normal level I'll upgrade.

Mithos

I think that's waaaay too optimistic.
When I read what I wrote, I agree, was thinking of the RTX 4070, but wrote 4060...
My line of though was since a 3070 was kinda up to par with 2080 Ti and the 3070 are around €500+, I was hoping that it would be the same for "next gen".

Kenpachii

Originally i bought a 1080ti to hold me over for 3000 series. as the 2000 series performance wise was lackbusting to say the least.
The 3000 series performance wise is and was interesting, but the price point and scalping prices where not. The heat, last gen memory amounts really made me straight up ignore the gen entirely.

With cyberpunk and ac valhalla being my main target for the 3000 series cards, ac valhalla ended up running perfectly fine at ultra settings 1080p ( resolution i play at ) on a 1080ti and for the 3000 series it pushed dissapoiting performance forwards over a 1080ti in that title. Cyberpunk was a complete shit fest to the point i couldn't even care for the game even remotely.

We are now a year or almost into the generation. the 3080ti with 12gb of v-ram is a joke for the price point and even 12gb i find far to low unless its a budget card, so its a skip for me.

With 2022 around the corner, with new engines and windows OS releasing, with directstorage and rtx i/o we could see additional hardware on the 4000 series cards to speed compression etc up massively something u see with nvenc. so at this point its far better to wait on the 4000 series of cards at this point or what amd has in stock for there next gpu's as i am no longer bound towards nvenc at this point for my main computer through 4k60 elgato. Gsync is still a thing tho.

With 2022 seeing next gen games also popping up, the 4000 series cards will be far more future proof then what we got now as i don't tend to upgrade often, so my demands are pretty simple not more then 300w, 24gb minimum, 3090 1,5x the performance and 1,5x RTX performance. I think its going to be doable for 1200 i am fine then. If its more expensive or doesn't exist a 16gb or 20gb 4070 with 3090 performance will be fine then for 500 bucks.

Kazza

I originally planned on building a desktop, but ended up just getting a laptop with the latest Ryzen and an RTX3060 instead.

Mister Wolf

I tried getting a 3080, 3090, and 3080ti. No luck so I've given up and used that money towards a PS5. Fortunately I'm able to get 4K 120hz with my Samsung TV using the HDMI 2.0 of my 2080ti. My next upgrade will be a 4000 series card.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Got a 3080 on November 17, 2020 at retail price, exactly two months after the cards launched. Was F5-ing Amazon like a madman for weeks, and managed to grab one in the few seconds it was available. Never saw a 3080 again on Amazon after that day, so yeah, I got very lucky indeed.

sP93XMz.png
for the time you wasted you might as well paid scalp prices.

Current GPUs suck, so I don't buy them.
Maybe next gen or the gen after is better and I will upgrade.

It's simple. If the product is bad, just don't buy it.

Gladly I bought a 1070. That was a fucking great generation and great products where everything was good. Price, price of custom vs Founders Editon, VRam size, overclocking ability, speed.

RaZoR No1

First got a 6700XT for around 700€.
After reading into it I saw, that AMD does a weekly drop in their shop with msrp prices
At my first AMD drop I got a 6900XT.
Sold the 6700XT off for 800€.
Now old GPU (GTX1060) is in second PC

Armorian

Banned
10GB will come back to bite 3080 owners, so may as well wait for bigger vram, the Super or even 4080

This video is about 3GB GPU that was crippled in some games even in 2016...

3080 with 10GB will be fine, consoles have ~13GB od memory (for games, rest for OS) and like at least 3GB has to go to CPU, so far only games that are RESERVING VRAM give problems - like RE8 and Doom E, buy you can set lower VRAM buffer in options and have exact same textures. Why devs are adding stupid options like that knowing that many pc gamers are stupid enugh to set everything on ultra without even knowing what some options really do is beyond me. Games should reserve VRAM automatically based on available amount.

Rickyiez

Yeah really 10GB is fine . I've got current gen games like Control , Cyberpunk maxed out with RT on and it's only around 5-6GB usage at 3440x1440 .

Back to the topic , guess I'm the lucky one to sell my msrp 3080 for a 3080Ti with a small profit ^^

HoofHearted

I have my 2080 FE that I bought for retail price at its launch…

I refuse to pay exorbitant prices for any GPU. I have a backup 1060 SSC that I can also use to limp along until prices come back down to reality.

Quite honestly.. the reasons I wanted to upgrade to the 3080 are not as important as they once were. I actually had the option to buy an EVGA FTW3 at MSRP right after Christmas last year. Thought about buying and selling it at higher price myself but since I loathe scalpers so much, just decided to let it go back to the queue for the next in line.

At this point I expect to probably wait another 6-12 months before attempting to buy again. Most likely will continue to wait until next gen of cards to buy those instead.

I’ve noticed AMD cards starting to become readily available and also coming down in price recently. Im expecting prices and availability to come back to normal levels in the next 12 months.

NVidia is also on my shit list for their paper launch last year anyway.

Last edited:

Ywap

My pre-order is dated 2020-10-16

I might cancel it and skip this entire generation. After all, the 3000 series feels like old news now and the 10gb + Samsungs 8nm:s hunger for power doesn´t do the lineup any favours.

gypsygib

I got a 3070ti recently at retail scalper prices, so like 20% over MSRP. But I suppose AIBs have also increased prices so maybe the price I paid was a combo of retail and AIB scalper price. At least it wasn't the 100%-200% third party seller scalper prices.

Top Bottom