• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So…I tried Balan Wonderworld

ManaByte

Gold Member
Allow me to preface this by saying I do revere Yuji Naka as something of Sega’s eccentric uncle next to the GOD Yu Suzuki. So, while I never would pay full price for Balan Wonderworld, I would try it for free (as it is on PS+) or very very cheap (it’s currently $11 for a Xbox PlayAnywhere copy). I downloaded it on PS+ and while it is pretty terrible, there are brief flashes of the Naka we once knew.

Balan of course looks like NiGHTS, the music is similar to that too (but more repetitive and annoying), but the player characters look more like Billy Hatcher. The costume element reminds me a lot of the Genesis game Kid Chameleon:
80074-kid-chameleon-genesis-media.jpg

The biggest problem is the game plays like a c-tier DC or GameCube platformer stuck in the early 2000s. It’s not good, but you can see glimpses of where Yuji Naka is trying to recapture something from his past like a washed up lounge singer working an airport dive bar.

If you ever liked a game Naka has made, it’s worth a download just to see how far he has fallen and to experience this bizarre attempt at recapturing talent that died with the Saturn.

Sounds like you might like Rodea the Sky Soldier the Wii version OP, that game although not perfect was much more polished overall and captures that arcade Sega Naka like vibe

Banned
it's one of the rare Xbox Smart Delivery games where both Xbox generation versions are on the disc... so... I commend it for that!

Banned
Sounds like you might like Rodea the Sky Soldier the Wii version OP, that game although not perfect was much more polished overall and captures that arcade Sega Naka like vibe

BIG EMPHASIS ON WII VERSION THO! don't touch that Wii U or 3DS port!
it's funny how the only good version of the game was a fucking bonus disc in the Wii U version, and only in the first print I think (I wonder if there ever was a second print)

Top Bottom