• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Elite appreciation thread

Drizzlehell

Banned
Don't you just love it when you discover a game that you haven't played before and not only is it pretty awesome, but there are also like half a dozen more of them out there? And all of it is just waiting for you to discover them.

4723p8y0zew91.gif

9532ed229ed364b4de7e9b5b70cf98db.jpg

Boy am I going to enjoy this...

So far I tried out the first and second game, but to be honest, that first one is entirely skippable. I have nothing against playing older games but in this case the passage of time definitely didn't do it any favors. It's horribly janky and stripped of almost everything that's entertaining about the follow up games. Therefore, after playing it for about 15 minutes, I hit Alt+F4 and moved on to Sniper Elite V2, which generally feels like it was made as a next gen remake of that original game. I'm about 6 hours into this one and so far I'm having an absolute blast. I've seen some bits and pieces about this series over the years so I was generally aware of what it's about and that it has those cool X-ray slow mo shots, but by god, it's sooo satisfying to actually play it by myself. That feeling when you pull off a really tricky shot, only to be rewarded by a loud and satisfying bang of your rifle shot, followed by an absolutely halal slow mo shot of some dude's skull being blown apart. And how about when you hit the grenade strapped to dude's ass? Holy shiet, it's better than money shot.

What a cool game.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
V2 is still my favorite, although a bit clunky these days. The novelty of the Mortal Kombat X-Ray stuff starts to wear thin after a while and going to an open world design in later games was just too much of a good thing, like overeating your favorite junk food.

VN1X

Banned
Still have to play Sniper Elite 4 and 5 but Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts is where it's at for me. Already put in more time in Contracts than I did the first three SE games combined.

Last edited:

trikster40

4s probably my favorite but 5 grew on me. Didn’t like the multiple season pass shenanigans.

Only one I haven’t played yet is VR. I own it, just gotta play it.

Nothing feels better than hitting that 300+ meter shot on Authentic.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Still have to play Sniper Elite 4 and 5 but Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts is where it's at for me. Already put in more time in Contracts than I did the first three SE games combined.
I played the first one a lil' bit but it was kinda taking itself too seriously so I eventually got bored, even though the gameplay was solid. A game like that needs something stylish that would make the whole thing stand out and feel more fun, like a cool bombastic story or, as it's in the case of Sniper Elite games, a unique gimmick in the form of gruesome slow-mo shots. But Ghost Warrior was just some super serious and boring spy stuff with gruff military types grunting their way through some generic dialogue. I've already had enough of that after playing through Ghost Warrior 3.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, the VR one is actually what motivated me to finally give this series a shot, lol. I got it during the summer sale and only tried it out the other day.

Overall, it's alright. The weapon handling is a bit finnicky because it can bug out with your arm positioning sometimes, but other than that, the shooting feels really satisfying. Weapon handling is nicely detailed too, which I always appreciate in VR games. There are a lot of guns to play around with and working the action on rifles feels pretty good.

Sniper Elite 4 was a surprise hit for me. The name is just lame so I never checked it out.

It's kinda like AA MGSV gameplay and I think they did a great job with the atmosphere and level design.

Good shit. A very solid 8/10 veering towards more like 8.5. I'm saving 5 for a drought day.

chlorate

I’ve only ever watched YouTube videos of this series, but is it just me, or is the actual damage on the NPC models rather primitive compared to a lot of games? There doesn’t appear to be much in the way of entry/exit wounds left on the enemies, to say nothing of all the different destructible areas on the NPC models in games like Soldier of Fortune 2.

xrnzaaas

I enjoyed all of them since V2, even though the series hasn't evolved much and still relies on mostly the same mechanics. Exploring maps and looking for opportunities for long-distance stealth kills is always fun. :)

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
It has a very dedicated fan base that's for sure, that must keep it profitable, but in every other respect its a thoroughly mediocre franchise, IMO.

cormack12

Gold Member
As long as you don't play it like a sniper game it's fine.

I was really confused in 4, when it sets you up on top of a clock tower and tells you to time your shots with noise like enemy at the gates, then you shoot and the whole garrison mobilises.

It gets a bit better especially in 5 with the distance/noise volume but generally it takes a bit of time to get used to the style of game it is.

calistan

I’ve only ever watched YouTube videos of this series, but is it just me, or is the actual damage on the NPC models rather primitive compared to a lot of games? There doesn’t appear to be much in the way of entry/exit wounds left on the enemies, to say nothing of all the different destructible areas on the NPC models in games like Soldier of Fortune 2.
It’s lame, the x-ray scenes are basically just video clips, there’s no damage whatsoever on the in-game models.

Drizzlehell

Banned
As long as you don't play it like a sniper game it's fine.

I was really confused in 4, when it sets you up on top of a clock tower and tells you to time your shots with noise like enemy at the gates, then you shoot and the whole garrison mobilises.

It gets a bit better especially in 5 with the distance/noise volume but generally it takes a bit of time to get used to the style of game it is.
Yeah, that becomes apparent very quickly. It feels more like Metal Gear Solid 5 than a game where you primarily use a sniper rifle to take out targets from a distance but I actually appreciate the variety. Setting up traps and ambushing patrolling squads is just as fun as landing a perfect shot from half a mile away.

Top Bottom