• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Club - May 2021: Super Metroid

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think what you're looking for there are super bombs

Cutty Flam

Banned
I think what you're looking for there are super bombs
If nothing comes of three more hours of searching then I'll probably come back ITT for a tiny hint at some point. This is touted as one of the very best games of all time so there are probably some big time fans that will know everything and can maybe offer some tips

Naked Lunch

I finished Super Metroid a few months back.
I hadnt played it in 20 or so years before that. Its as good today as it was back then.

I absolutely love how you return to the NES Metroid 1 areas in the beginning. This was mindblowing to me back in the day as a kid. How a game from the 8bit era was directly connected to one from the "new" 16bit era. I love when any game does that really. Metal Gear Solid 4 returning to Shadow Moses, DoDonPachi DaiOuJou returning to the first level of DoDonPachi, Zombie Revenge Dreamcast returning to the House of the Dead. That stuff is cool as shit.

Just a quick Super Metroid tip - remember to copy a save file before you enter the last area because you get stuck on a save point and cant backtrack to explore more. Unless there is a way im just not aware of...

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

If nothing comes of three more hours of searching then I'll probably come back ITT for a tiny hint at some point. This is touted as one of the very best games of all time so there are probably some big time fans that will know everything and can maybe offer some tips
From the looks of your screenshots - I dont think youre able to access those areas yet - youll return there way later. From my memory I think that orange door screenshot is completely optional. The game should kinda be leading you in a direction for a bit - but if you havent played in a while maybe its best to start over. Knowing where to use your new items needs to be pretty fresh in your memory.

Cutty Flam

Banned
From the looks of your screenshots - I dont think youre able to access those areas yet - youll return there way later. From my memory I think that orange door screenshot is completely optional. The game should kinda be leading you in a direction for a bit - but if you havent played in a while maybe its best to start over. Knowing where to use your new items needs to be pretty fresh in your memory.
There's one area in Crateria early in the game that has a place several feet above ground that Samus can walk on but then it (the walking surface, stones of some sort) starts to fade away or crumble rapidly. That spot might be the right place to be but honestly I already spent like 20 min in that room total trying to solve. Samus isn't quick enough. Next time playing I'm going to bomb every square inch of the map with Samus' morph ball ability

Naked Lunch

There's one area in Crateria early in the game that has a place several feet above ground that Samus can walk on but then it (the walking surface, stones of some sort) starts to fade away or crumble rapidly. That spot might be the right place to be but honestly I already spent like 20 min in that room total trying to solve. Samus isn't quick enough. Next time playing I'm going to bomb every square inch of the map with Samus' morph ball ability
For that fading bridge part - you have to run. Hold B while moving. Later on you get a super run I think - but for that part you can just use normal run.
That might do the trick. :messenger_grinning:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Made it to a new area thankfully. It took some 4 hrs total of searching but now I’m here at some place further east. There was one room that was so hot that it drained like 40 of Samus’ energy in a couple seconds and killed me a couple times. This is still Brinstar, probably just deeper within the core. The map says this location is close to Maridia

Cutty Flam

Banned
First timers playing this 🙂

So jealous
This game is crazy. I would hate to be in Samus’ place. All alone on a hostile planet (Zebes) and there’s nothing but survival and a mission in front of her

Most protagonists have allies and companions but all she has is the science and technology of her spaceship and suit/weapons to get her through this

The worst part is that Zebes seems like its mostly subterranean...What a daunting game. I never realized how much of a badass Samus was until just now

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This game is crazy. I would hate to be in Samus’ place. All alone on a hostile planet (Zebes) and there’s nothing but survival and a mission in front of her

Most protagonists have allies and companions but all she has is the science and technology of her spaceship and suit/weapons to get her through this

The worst part is that Zebes seems like its mostly subterranean...What a daunting game. I never realized how much of a badass Samus was until just now
Agreed - I love Super Metroid it's definitely my favorite Metroid game of all time. A lot of people really liked Prime, but personally I just kept wanting it to be more like Super Metroid and I could never really get into it.

If this game is your jam though, be sure to check out the (fan made) AM2R game. A remake of the Gameboy Metroid 2 but takes huge inspiration from Super Metroid. It's a shame that Nintendo seems incapable or unwilling to make games like this one any more.

nkarafo

What a daunting game. I never realized how much of a badass Samus was until just now
Those were my thoughts as well back then. After Metroid 2 and Super Metroid, i felt like Samus had the most difficult and scariest missions to go through. Even compared to the Doomguy. And the best part was that Nintendo didn't have to spell out how "WomEN ArE StrONK anD BAdaSS". They didn't even need in-game cut-scenes or written dialog. Her actions in the game spoke for themselves. As it should be for every game with strong/stoic protagonists.

Too bad OtherM ruined the character though.

Cutty Flam

Banned

Too bad OtherM ruined the character though.
Samus Aran is impossible to ruin. One bad game is fine, as a fan you just forgive the developers for fucking up and don't except their mistake. I did that with Skyward Sword in at least one area of the lore, especially since Nintendo clearly regrets the position they took with that aspect of the story and never built upon it

nkarafo

especially since Nintendo clearly regrets the position they took with that aspect of the story and never built upon it
Do they? I don't think Sakamoto had any regrets for that version of Samus. IIRC it was quite the opposite in fact. Dude gave me the impression it was the version he always wanted.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Do they? I don't think Sakamoto had any regrets for that version of Samus. IIRC it was quite the opposite in fact. Dude gave me the impression it was the version he always wanted.
I was talking about TLoZ: SS and how one aspect of the story in that game was completely shunned by Nintendo (via BotW from all that I've observed) since they knew they fucked up badly. The lore I'm speaking of from SS was poorly received by most fans of the Zelda series that I could tell, and thankfully Nintendo seemed to agree with them

Can't comment on Samus from OtherM, I'm a Metroid nub sauce packet in all honestly. But I could have been a big fan if things played out differently haha. I had Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes when they came out it's just that I had the attention span of a flea when it came to completing games that weren't Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Zelda in a backlog; went entirely with the flow of things back then as a kid.

Cutty Flam

Banned
hqdefault.jpg

That guy was a damn fiend. The way Crocomire went out was brutal too. Best boss fight out of the three I've fought. I'm close to getting some type of connector that will allow Samus to swing from the ceiling with her beam gun attachment. It has to be right around the corner

Bakkus

I was talking about TLoZ: SS and how one aspect of the story in that game was completely shunned by Nintendo (via BotW from all that I've observed) since they knew they fucked up badly. The lore I'm speaking of from SS was poorly received by most fans of the Zelda series that I could tell
Which part was that?

Bakkus

The Master Sword being Fi. Not a trace of the Master Sword having been mentioned (in BOTW) to have a spirit
The master sword was upgradable by the 3 goddess flames. Fi was only inside the sword. You start off with the goddess sword. Fi is not inside of it to begi with.

Fredrik

This was the first game that any of my friends tried Speed Running back in the day. We would swap the single cart back and forth to see if we could beat each other’s 100% completion times. One of the All-Time great games for me!
I understand that it’s a lot about nostalgia but I don’t care for me it’s the #1 game of all time, I doubt that anything will ever dethrone it.
Finished it 100% on Xbox Series X recently through RetroArch, I now have the 100% completion rate screen as my dash background 👍

jshackles

I thought about making the poll for next month just be all of the new SNES games that are coming to Switch Online next week......... but they're all pretty terrible honestly.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The master sword was upgradable by the 3 goddess flames. Fi was only inside the sword. You start off with the goddess sword. Fi is not inside of it to begi with.
The fact that such a horrendously conceived character or spirit rather was allowed or okayed to represent the Master Sword like that was a disgrace to me. 0/10 move and I honestly have no clue as to why Fujibayashi would sign off on such an abysmal character. She hurt the Master Sword’s lore
I thought about making the poll for next month just be all of the new SNES games that are coming to Switch Online next week......... but they're all pretty terrible honestly.
Those games were surprising adds. I’ve never heard of any of them

Pretty good idea. By default I will vote for Joe and Mac because that's the only cart I own. (I don't have an NSO subscription, and don't plan to get one anytime soon...)

Top Bottom