• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Club - May 2021: Super Metroid

Business

I always found the 2D/Overhead games to be more action based and I think thats why I have mostly been a 3D zelda guy.

I've never been much of a Zelda guy myself (BOTW is the only one I really loved). I played LTTP back in the day but I never went too far let alone finish it, but I gave a go to the remake of Link's Awakening recently and I thought I may like LTTP as much as I liked LA, but it hasn't been the case. Next I dusted off my Wii U and will see if I try again with Wind Waker.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I've never been much of a Zelda guy myself (BOTW is the only one I really loved). I played LTTP back in the day but I never went too far let alone finish it, but I gave a go to the remake of Link's Awakening recently and I thought I may like LTTP as much as I liked LA, but it hasn't been the case. Next I dusted off my Wii U and will see if I try again with Wind Waker.
I am a Twilight Princess fan and I havent really found another game from the series other than OOT that really captured me like that. I fell into Wind Waker pretty hard when it came out but got lambasted by the triforce hunt.

Real talk. I’ve never played Chrono Trigger and loved Maximum carnage. I think I’ll do it. I think I’ll play CT.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OK so Spider Man Maximum Carnage is a lot of fun, but holy shit the game is hard. I made it to level 6 before dying and running out of continues and having to start over again.

Might have to look up some game genie codes that might make this game bearable - unlimited continues, maybe? I hate doing that as I won't get the "hardcore" achievements, but damn...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
OK so Spider Man Maximum Carnage is a lot of fun, but holy shit the game is hard. I made it to level 6 before dying and running out of continues and having to start over again.

Might have to look up some game genie codes that might make this game bearable - unlimited continues, maybe? I hate doing that as I won't get the "hardcore" achievements, but damn...
There are secret passages that have more lives in them. I'd try those out before the genie.

But know carnage is gonna wreck your shit.

itsbabadookusir

Neo Member
I have no interest in actually playing Maximum Carnage, but I did check out a comparison video and it appears to look better on the Genesis. So dark on the SNES.

I had coincidentally already started FFVI (with the Woolsey uncensored/bugfix romhack) before the poll went up. Such a lovely game I've started quite a few times but never finished myself. Watched my brother and a friend beat it when we were kids, though. Used to call them boring nerds and try to convince our friend to let me open her sealed Star Trek TNG action figures while they played. Lol, what a little piece of shit I was.

Not even in the WoR yet, but already started FFVII and FFVIII simultaneously. No wonder I never finish these damn games. Hah.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Started in on Final Fantasy VI. I wanted to play through the Woolsey translation, but I couldn't get it to work with Retro Achievements. So, oh well I'll play the original. It's been literally years since I played this game, and I think it's been more than a decade since I actually beat it.

BdQrExR.png

Unlocked a few achievements. What's fun about this set is that almost all of them are missable, so I've been reading up on how to unlock them and what needs done exactly to pop them. I've even learned a few new things about this game which dominated my high school / college years - seriously I think I beat this at least 25 times between 1994 to 1998 (but I think only once or twice since on mobile when it first released).

So far, so good. It's been an absolute blast down memory lane.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Started in on Final Fantasy VI. I wanted to play through the Woolsey translation, but I couldn't get it to work with Retro Achievements. So, oh well I'll play the original. It's been literally years since I played this game, and I think it's been more than a decade since I actually beat it.

BdQrExR.png

Unlocked a few achievements. What's fun about this set is that almost all of them are missable, so I've been reading up on how to unlock them and what needs done exactly to pop them. I've even learned a few new things about this game which dominated my high school / college years - seriously I think I beat this at least 25 times between 1994 to 1998 (but I think only once or twice since on mobile when it first released).

So far, so good. It's been an absolute blast down memory lane.
Power to you for keeping this thread alive. I'm hoping February will be lot slower for me so I can refocus on this.

jshackles

I've got myself into a super precarious position in Final Fantasy 6, I should have seen it coming.

I kinda rushed through the magitech research facility - and then I got to the end segment (where Cid pushes you onto the cart and it goes into like a Mode 7 cart thing). Problem is, you can't level up before going on the cart ride. And there is a boss at the end of it. And it takes like 10 minutes to get to the boss from the save point.

I've spent about 3 hours trying to kill the boss now with my current setup... it's not working well.

sol_bad

I thought I'd c heck out Batman Returns as I had never played it. It's absolutely terrible in every regard.
Why is this game popular on the SNES?
Is it because there weren't many beatem ups on the system?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Whoa, I just remembered this thread. I guess we missed March, huh?
Last set was two games. I have been spending a lot less time of gaf. If people want to keep going I'll keep working or if someone wants to take over I'd give em OP.

But most people seem to have moved on. Let me know if people feel different

Bakkus

Been playing co-op both Goof Troop and Pocky & Rocky with a bud in the last few days. Fun times. Might join FF tomorrow.

jshackles

Last set was two games. I have been spending a lot less time of gaf. If people want to keep going I'll keep working or if someone wants to take over I'd give em OP.

But most people seem to have moved on. Let me know if people feel different
I'd be willing to take over, if there's still interest!

jshackles

im the captain now GIF

Thanks Nikana Nikana ! I'm gonna be making some edits to the OP with a few resources and such. I'll just be picking the game for April to ease back into things (and since we're already almost a week in!). Voting will return for May though, and I'm open to suggestions!

jshackles

April 2021: Wild Guns
SNES_Wild_Guns_cover_art.png

Last edited:

jshackles

And for those of you that want to know what the original cartridge goes for, DAMN

I personally recommend something like an Everdrive or SD2SNES cartridge if you go that route, unless you're a millionaire or just happen to have the games we choose in your collection.

lol, for real.

I'm looking forward to this month's game though - sorry if it's a bit pretentious of me to just outright PICK a game for the club. I went with one that's fairly acclaimed, is available on Switch Online, has retro achievements, and is pretty short. I've never played it though, so I can't wait to dive in.

dave_d

lol, for real.

I'm looking forward to this month's game though - sorry if it's a bit pretentious of me to just outright PICK a game for the club. I went with one that's fairly acclaimed, is available on Switch Online, has retro achievements, and is pretty short. I've never played it though, so I can't wait to dive in.
I just had to check since I got that game when it first came out in the mid 90s and please nobody rob me :messenger_grinning:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I got stuck at DKC2: Diddy Kong’s Quest, one day I’ll come back to it

Wild Guns was pretty fun, tried it out months ago randomly. How many levels is this game?

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ve put in a few hours into Breath of Fire 2 on SNES Online for Switch. Waiting for Super Metroid to make the polls again as well, would take the time to play that. Wild Guns might be fun, I’ll have to give it another go
Like 6/7 stages.

You mean Diddy's Kong Quest? Pretty good word play in the title ;)
Wow I never noticed that...I’ve been saying it wrong for nearly a decade lol. What a great title hahahaha

jshackles

So - Wild Guns

This game is hard, yo

jshackles

It's not in the manual for the game or shown in the controls, but you can double jump and also roll by pressing shoot+jump together. Rolling lets you pass through bullets without taking damage so it's probably the best way to move in the game.
Yeah I kinda found that out as I went along - spent about an hour playing the first level over and over (dying) to get the hang of the controls. I restarted the game on "Easy" mode and that seems a bit better...

Yeah I kinda found that out as I went along - spent about an hour playing the first level over and over (dying) to get the hang of the controls. I restarted the game on "Easy" mode and that seems a bit better...
Keep at it, once you get the hang of how it plays it becomes a lot easier. The curve of learning how the game handles movement + aiming is a bit tricky.

jshackles

In case anyone is still interested in doing this - I've opened the voting for what the group will be playing in May.

A "first party Nintendo" month!

Cutty Flam

Banned
Super Metroid should be fun, I beat SMW2: Yoshi's Island a little more than a month ago. If Super Mario All-Stars wins then I'm going to try to attempt beating Super Mario Bros. 3 for the thousandth time. Idk why, but World 8 fucks me up every single time. One summer long ago, I tried beating that game at least 20 times and every time there was a spot near some Bullet Bills midway through World 8 that always depleted my lives. I rarely got further than that and if I did, it was game over shortly after

jshackles

Voting closes Friday, looks like Super Metroid is going to win. But it's still anyone's game.

jshackles

Sorry it's been a few days - OP has been updated with this month's game by popular demand: Super Metroid

Cutty Flam

Banned
Playing right now, I'm still trying to figure out how to get the orange missiles
ivbt05U.jpg
vH2vVXt.jpg
eT0HOqt.jpg
gc7OEiw.jpg

It’s been way too long since I played this game. I checked the last time saved and it was Feb 2020. It might take some serious backtracking (already have been for a few hours) but once those golden missiles are found the map will begin to unfold. I’ve never finished a Metroid game

Closest to finishing one was a mere 20-30% I’d guess in Metroid Prime

Top Bottom