• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Club - May 2021: Super Metroid

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Why not adjust length on a per game basis? Super Mario World is very short so i think 2 to 3 weeks would work. But if we picked FF6 I’d be struggling to get through it even if I had the whole month. If we chose Star Fox I’d say we gotta do Star Fox and Star Fox 2 together, otherwise a single week is more than enough time for a game that can be completed in a couple sittings.

I don't want to end up excluding people because of schedules and such. While a week might be more than enough time for some even in games that feel like they should be a quick run through, like a beat em up and such, I don't want to automatically assume it will be enough for everyone. but I also don't want it to be too long of wait from game to game and have people get bored.

The next set I am working on will be a good test I think. Less main stream titles on this one so I think there be fewer people that have played em.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Maybe we should set up each month with two short games (every two weeks) and one long game? Most people would probably finish something like Turtles in Time inside a month easily, but something like Earthbound or Final Fantasy III might take a bit longer. In fact, the "long game" could even be stretched out to one every two months if needed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finished up Super Mario World, all 96 exits!

OnnMTHx.png

Like I said before, it's been quite a number of years since I played through and got all exits, so this was a lot of fun and nostalgia. I played on Retroarch via Retroachievements in hardcore mode (no save states, no cheat codes) and it was a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what next month's game is, bring it on.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Maybe we should set up each month with two short games (every two weeks) and one long game? Most people would probably finish something like Turtles in Time inside a month easily, but something like Earthbound or Final Fantasy III might take a bit longer. In fact, the "long game" could even be stretched out to one every two months if needed.

I think for some months the two games makes sense. Polls can be set up for multiple answer. I think combining it with a third might be bit much in terms of trying to manage things cleanly.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I just started up today. I have the SNES cart and Retron 3, but I decided just to play on a phone with an ipega 9087s and Snes9x. I'm just using the in-game save system, no quick save states in the middle of levels. I just beat World 1. I died on Iggy Koopa the first time. It's funny how nervous it makes you.
M45TxUW.jpg

93xfan

Banned
Did the challenge, but this time waited until the end to get all 4 colored blocks for a little extra challenge. Also, didn’t cheese any level or use a star to beat the tough sections.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Month 2 Choices:

In effort to keep month 2 a little more involved I decided to focus on games that were compilations such as Mario All Stars and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. But in order to keep the list stacked I added two series that had 3 games release all on the Super Nintendo. This month will require a lot of time and effort. It will not be for the feint of heart.

Super Mario All Stars
Kirby SuperStar
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Donkey Kong Country Trilogy
Mega Man X 1-3

Tesseract

Banned
voted ninja gaiden tho it's kinda a shitty port with miserable music

here's some suggestions for future clubs, hope nobody minds

-->

simant
brainlord
blazeon
cybernator
super ghouls 'n ghosts
soldiers of fortune
robotrek
sparkster
actraiser 2
super castlevania iv
firestriker
hagane
u.n. squadron
total carnage
smash tv
operation logic bomb: the ultimate search & destroy
illusion of gaia
zombies ate my neighbors
secret of evermore
king arthur's world
the pirates of dark water
lufia 2
the twisted tales of spike mcfang
run saber
terranigma
dragon view
equinox
ghoul patrol
sky blazer
rendering ranger r2
sonic blast man 2
contra 3
the firemen
shadowrun
mystical ninja
majyuo
indiana jones' greatest adventures
gemfire
goof troop
kirby's dream course
chrono trigger
final fantasy vi
super punch-out
demon's crest
gradius 3
2020 super baseball

jshackles

Gonna go with Kirby for this one. Since round one was Mario All-Stars I'm kinda good on 2D Mario games for the time being. Ninja Gaiden, Donkey Kong, and Mega Man are all great but have pretty punishing difficulty - I honestly doubt I'd stick with them all to last through the challenge.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ve only finished DK: Jungle Beat for the N64. Only Donkey Kong game I ever played all the way through and it was so much fun

If DKC Trilogy wins I’m up for the challenge

Everyone finished with SmW?
Since I already beat it, I had a tough time trying to stick with it. Very select games I will replay with the intent of finishing all the way twice, 3X or more. Not sure if anyone else is like that, but the game has to be exactly my type to beat twice or more

Got past Vanilla Dome, into the Forrest of Illusions, got stuck and that was it. Will probably play more eventually but I finished it once before and almost a second time as well and I’ve never had the urge to play it again since really....

I’m more interested in SMB3 and The Lost Levels. Never completed SMB3 (Stuck at World 8) and SMB: TLL I think I only played a little bit? I beat Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on the GBC but not sure if it was the original or The Lost Levels I beat?

Sorry for the long message. I still think this SNES Club is a top 10 thread idea easy. Excellent work Power Ranger-kun

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I’ve only finished DK: Jungle Beat for the N64. Only Donkey Kong game I ever played all the way through and it was so much fun

If DKC Trilogy wins I’m up for the challenge

Since I already beat it, I had a tough time trying to stick with it. Very select games I will replay with the intent of finishing all the way twice, 3X or more. Not sure if anyone else is like that, but the game has to be exactly my type to beat twice or more

Got past Vanilla Dome, into the Forrest of Illusions, got stuck and that was it. Will probably play more eventually but I finished it once before and almost a second time as well and I’ve never had the urge to play it again since really....

I’m more interested in SMB3 and The Lost Levels. Never completed SMB3 (Stuck at World 8) and SMB: TLL I think I only played a little bit? I beat Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on the GBC but not sure if it was the original or The Lost Levels I beat?

Sorry for the long message. I still think this SNES Club is a top 10 thread idea easy. Excellent work Power Ranger-kun

Long messages are a welcome thing here.

I have beaten SMW many times as well but its still a go to SNES game for me. That and the MMX games. They are like comfort food that I have mastered and its so fun to flex that muscle.

I have never actually finished TLL without warps. At some point I think a SMAS run will get voted in and that will be when I finally complete it.

I too have beat SMBD but I have no idea how that game structures its levels either.

jshackles

If DKC wins, I'll probably plan on playing through the first game (which was my favorite anyway).

Next month is kinda stacked for me, thanks to next-gen.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Long messages are a welcome thing here.

I have beaten SMW many times as well but its still a go to SNES game for me. That and the MMX games. They are like comfort food that I have mastered and its so fun to flex that muscle.

I have never actually finished TLL without warps. At some point I think a SMAS run will get voted in and that will be when I finally complete it.

I too have beat SMBD but I have no idea how that game structures its levels either.
The only games I have played and finished multiple times are these ones: RE4 5X maybe even six times I completed it, RE5 2X, RE6 2X, Ocarina of Time 2X, Majora's Mask 2X, Paper Mario 2X, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars 2X, Yoshi's Story 2X, Banjo-Kazooie 2X, Gears of War 2 2X, Gears of War 3 2X, Halo 3 2X, Halo 4 2X, and that's all of them I think. Would love to replay OoT and MM a third time when they eventually release them for the Nintendo Switch. That's going to be a glorious day if there is another The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition put out to celebrate the series' 35th Anniversary, which should be around February 2021

Hope it gets voted in as well eventually. I need a reason to complete SMB3 finally. Tried so many times but World 8 is intense and gets me every time. TLL I'll play from start to finish as well

Cutty Flam

Banned
Beating DKC2 took too much out of me and I don't think I'll ever pick up DKC3 again.
I remember playing DKC3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! on my friend's modded PSP in 2006 for a few minutes during class

It looked gorgeous. We played right next to our teacher during 1st period English in HS haha he didn't even mind, had himself a modded Xbox. He also told us all not to get married and that it's overrated lol

SpiceRacz

I remember playing DKC3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! on my friend's modded PSP in 2006 for a few minutes during class

It looked gorgeous. We played right next to our teacher during 1st period English in HS haha he didn't even mind, had himself a modded Xbox. He also told us all not to get married and that it's overrated lol

It's definitely worth playing through, but man it feels underwhelming when held up to DKC 1 & 2. The music does nothing for me and the levels are hit and miss. Still better than most platformers on the console and like you said, the game is a looker.

Top Bottom