• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smurfs: Mission Vileleaf (Mario Sunshine, but three apples tall)

ManaByte

Gold Member
I’ve had my eye on this platformer for a while as I’ve liked Smurfs games in previous generations and it goes on sale on both PS and Xbox from time to time. Finally caved in yesterday while it was on sale again, and it’s definitely worth checking out for a little AA Mario Sunshine clone.

It’s a 3D platformer where you play different Smurfs with a backpack like in Mario Sunshine but instead of cleaning up gunk you’re curing diseased plants.

I was expecting some serious platforming jank here, but I was shocked at how precise the platforming is. It was a real nice surprise actually and prevented what could’ve been a frustrating game.

There’s also depth here with collectibles that you can use to upgrade your sprayer and secrets scattered about.

Not sure if it’s worth the full $40 but it regularly goes on sale for about $10 or more off and for under $30 it feels worth it. It’s also a small game, only about 5GB.

jaysius

Banned
I’ve had my eye on this platformer for a while as I’ve liked Smurfs games in previous generations and it goes on sale on both PS and Xbox from time to time. Finally caved in yesterday while it was on sale again, and it’s definitely worth checking out for a little AA Mario Sunshine clone.

It’s a 3D platformer where you play different Smurfs with a backpack like in Mario Sunshine but instead of cleaning up gunk you’re curing diseased plants.

I was expecting some serious platforming jank here, but I was shocked at how precise the platforming is. It was a real nice surprise actually and prevented what could’ve been a frustrating game.

There’s also depth here with collectibles that you can use to upgrade your sprayer and secrets scattered about.

Not sure if it’s worth the full $40 but it regularly goes on sale for about $10 or more off and for under $30 it feels worth it. It’s also a small game, only about 5GB.
I'd say The Gunk or A Hat in Time, Super Mario Sunshine is a certain kind of quality.

CamHostage

Smurfs games have a secret history of being better than anybody would ever give them credit for. The PS1 Smurfs was charming and an early experiment in being made for very young gamers (you cannot die in the game,) Velez & Dubail did a few Smurfs games on Game Boy, and then I believe the Colecovision Smurfs game had the first in-game credits as a hidden easter egg. There's lots of lame or even terrible Smurfs stuff out there as well, there's no reason to care if Smurfs games are good or not if you'll never play a Smurfs game, but it's not a bad idea to take a cautious peek when a new Smurfs game shows up.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I bought it when it was something like 3-4€ on Switch, since my kids - THANK YOU GOD - got bored with Paw Patrol and I had no idea when and how they are now obsessed with Smurfs.

European quality strikes again, amirite?

Anyway, performance-wise this is mostly ok, there are a few frame drops to low 20s, other than that it's solid 30. Game is fuckton of fun, since I absolutely adore everything to do with cleaning and here you "clean" the diseased plants. However as game for kids the game is damn hard, especially when the flying platforms get introduced - I was so proud of my 6-year old that got furious and declared "I AM NOT GOING TO SLEEP TILL I BEAT THAT STUPID PART"

Excited Wheel Of Fortune GIF by ABC Network

Scotty W

Gold Member
This is a good strategy for up and coming studios.

Take a worthless but once loved franchise. Make a great game. Reap the rewards.

Top Bottom