• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword HD: Review Thread

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Glad I didn't listen to the salt boys this time around. Motion controls are good, story is great, characters are great, art direction is great. Fantastic Zelda game so far, excited to play a shitton more tomorrow.

Also I hate to use the word "retarded" but what other word describes the console warrior posts in this thread about the controls? Straight embarrassing, yall call yourselves pro gamers smdh.

I finaly played some this very morning, not much, I'm currently following that blue lady fairy being, so don't really have an opinion yet besides that I'm really digging the art style, vibe and characters

If you want to play with button controls, that's fine, but personally I think it gimps the game of its identity. Motion controls are an essential part of Skyward Sword's D.N.A.
Playing the game without it is kinda missing the point, which is why I always roll my eyes when I see some of the latest reviews talking about how you can now "finally play it without motion"

Yeah.. no thanks, I'll keep playing the game how it was intended to be played.

Yeah I get what your saying and more or less agree. But personally I'm just not a huge fan of motion controls so I'm playing with the analog stick.. It's far from perfect and feels weird but I'll manage. I'm sure I'm going to give the motion controls a good try when I feel like it. Glad I've got options.

WildBoy

I don't want to turn this into a Sony game thread so I won't mention the names of the games I'm picking on but I have seen some suspect ones lately and definetly before.

There are some games that look like they deserve a high score like Ratchet and Clank though. I cannot verify because I don't own a PS5 but sometimes though in reviews you can smell the bullshit
Ironically Ratchet is worse than the remake on PS4 and Crack in time. If any game didn't deserve 9/10s it's Rift Apart... Game is over before you even know it and not many stand out moments... It has that mario odyssey feel where you think a planet is gonna be huge and it's a 10mins set piece...

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
yidXytX.jpg

Great design!!!

Lol tiny pic

Btw is someone willing to make an OT?

<3

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ahh so I didn’t really play this game at its original release because I hated the motion controls so much, and now…with button controls…it’s only slightly better. The controls are still so wonky. And what frustrates me most is that it seems like there is a good Zelda game beneath these bad controls. :(

tr1p1ex

got thru another hour yesterday. and was better. that first hour was rough. i did motion and then button. they both have some issues. I'll probably go back to motion to play as intended as Button didn't blow me away.

Synless

While it brings new things to the Zelda franchise, it does nothing new that other games haven't done.

My problem with it is that it doesn't even feel like a Zelda game. If you renamed all of the characters, you would easily mistake it for a different franchise.

It's not bad. It's just overrated.
How would you define it not feeling like a zelda game? It was literally the culmination of everything OoT zeldas has been doing until that point.

chris121580

I’m about 10 hours in and am really enjoying my time with it. I’ve been playing handheld. The controls definitely take some getting used to but they’ve become second nature at this point.

I do feel like they could’ve made the rolling mechanic during combat a lot easier to use though. Put the roll on a button, not clicking down the thumb stick and don’t make me have to sprint to use it

Luckily I haven’t had to use it much during combat so far. I love the creativity with your tools. Sending your scarab to pick up bombs and drop them on enemies never gets old

JimboJones

Controls are...not designed for a Pro Controller that's for sure. They are workable but they really should allow us to remap the shoulder buttons as my fingers naturally sit on the L2 and R2 buttons. I think the sword controls decently enough.

You can remap controls at a system level in Switch settings, obviously it won't affect buttons prompts in game but if you can get over that it's a solution.
I remapped the dousing/ first person to L1 so it's more inline with the original games C button on the nunchuck, easier access too.

Fbh

How long is the obligatory terrible intro?
I've always been interested in trying this one out but I fucking hate the slow Zelda intros and I've always heard this one is the worst offender in that regard.

Kuranghi

The DF video actually made me want to try this game. It’s the only 3D Zelda I’ve not played. It looked good to me based on what was shown (although their complaint that the camera and sword LB situation should be reversed does sound correct). Think I’ll buy this when it’s £30.

Is £35 good enough? KA-BLAMO:

Just apply the £5 next-day delivery discount but choose free delivery and its £35 quid.

I paid ~£38 day-one using a preorder 15% off coupon when it was £45 base price. Currys is the new UK equivalent of supermarkets for cheapest physical games, especially for Ninty titles, you do need to preorder usually (ie buy 1-day prior to release date) to get coupons that beat the likes of shopto.net but usually reviews will be out by then anyway so its not really a risk.

That wouldn't fix the fundamental issue. The problem is there's just way too much travel in an analogue stick, imagine it's like the tallest, mushiest button ever made. Even if you just flick it gently instead of pushing it the whole way, there's still too much travel. It just feels bad when you're trying to chain a few hits in quick succession.

This is how I would have done it:

More info here:

The only issue I see there is with diagonal cuts, I presume you have to press two buttons at once and that doesn't sound that reliable to me, but you'd probably misclick at the same rate as the motion controls fail to pick up what you did anyway maybe.

fart town usa

Gold Member
How long is the obligatory terrible intro?
I've always been interested in trying this one out but I fucking hate the slow Zelda intros and I've always heard this one is the worst offender in that regard.
Probably 2-3 hours before the game really gets moving. Just depends on how much you want to explore. Honestly no worse or better than MM, TP, WW. Typical Zelda intro stuff.

jigglet

Banned
The only issue I see there is with diagonal cuts, I presume you have to press two buttons at once and that doesn't sound that reliable to me, but you'd probably misclick at the same rate as the motion controls fail to pick up what you did anyway maybe.

Yup this is the conclusion I've come to. I still think it's possible but it would take more time than I'm willing to invest. Update here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/so-i...d-the-shitty-controls.1613401/#post-264163825

Also here's my latest video: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/so-i...d-the-shitty-controls.1613401/#post-264163755

It works so well!!!!!

Meesh

SS is by and large my least favorite Zelda, reasons for another thread probably. To be honest, the only reason this is even getting another shot at the title is because they need sales, and sales of a game that simply could've been better. Sell to people who probably haven't played this particular entry for one, and again with modest Improvents to hook those of us that have that nostalgia bug and would love to play portably.

SS is no doubt first in a list of Zeldas "remastered" for Switch, and first because if most of us had the opportunity to purchase this or WW/ TP remasters we'd overlook SS. I know I would. But hey, Zeldas 35th anniversary and all, they gotta celebrate by making that $.

Just my 2 cents lol.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I like the game, but I still hate the controls. I am constantly getting fucked up. Hold Zr for a fraction of a second too long, I am in weapon select mode , not activating the weapon I had selected then I get my ass handed to me while I have to run away, cancel the weapon, reselect it, rehome the gyro, etc. I have to fucking reset gyros all the time and they are so off sometimes they send the screen spinning. I just beat the scorpion and kept getting diagonals registering as horizontal and then the straight jabs needed at the end were also going horizontal. I tried the joysick but it really did not work for me. They went too all in on the motion control and it really brought an otherwise good game down to mediocre. The item shit and tiny wallets are also ridiculous and frustrating. I can really see where the broken weapons in BoTW came from, they came from the asshole that designed this awful subsystem.

Synless

Complete lack of typical series structure.

Imagine a Metroid game that was a linear corridor shooter. It would lack the whole identity of the series, right? That's what BOTW is to me.
Oh, my post was my bad. I didn’t see you responded to someone talking about BoTW, where as I thought you were talking about SS.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Ahh so I didn’t really play this game at its original release because I hated the motion controls so much, and now…with button controls…it’s only slightly better. The controls are still so wonky. And what frustrates me most is that it seems like there is a good Zelda game beneath these bad controls. :(
Except the motion controls aren’t bad. They were never bad (except the recalibrating was annoying but it looks like that’s been fixed) and the game was always going to play better with MC.

I like the game, but I still hate the controls. I am constantly getting fucked up. Hold Zr for a fraction of a second too long, I am in weapon select mode , not activating the weapon I had selected then I get my ass handed to me while I have to run away, cancel the weapon, reselect it, rehome the gyro, etc. I have to fucking reset gyros all the time and they are so off sometimes they send the screen spinning. I just beat the scorpion and kept getting diagonals registering as horizontal and then the straight jabs needed at the end were also going horizontal. I tried the joysick but it really did not work for me. They went too all in on the motion control and it really brought an otherwise good game down to mediocre. The item shit and tiny wallets are also ridiculous and frustrating. I can really see where the broken weapons in BoTW came from, they came from the asshole that designed this awful subsystem.
So much for improving the controls, reminds me how much of a pain this was, with the motion controls, after 10 years im still stuck just before final dungeon collecting those dam purple things underwater fighting motion controls trying to swim lol.

jigglet

Banned
I've been putting a lot of thought into the controls and I think I know what they should have done: they should have made it so there was a single "attack" button, which would work just like any other Zelda game - it unleashes a canned sequence of attacks.

Then when you are locked in (Z targeting), give you the option of continuing to mash this attack button or use full motion controls.

I think this would have been the best of both worlds. The analogue stick for combat is just clunky.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

another hour today. 3 hours in or so. I got thru the first boss. it's getting better . I played the first half back in the day iirc.

I can't do the button controls. And went back to motion and it's just better. You can tell the game is made for them originally.

I wish I could fast forward ahead until I can't remember playing parts. ...it's a good game with these improvements. ...but i might not be able to make it thru the atmosphere without burning up first. ...it's hard to commit to 20 or 30 hours which it feels like I'm doing by playing.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Oh button controls are meh. The hold the bumper to look around. The pick up the jar with A then hold right stick forward and press right trigger is too much. Rolling by pushing in the left stick. Meh.

Motion is better. The stick is really no less finicky for sword swinging either. And when I went back to motion today after friday, even flying with the motion control felt much better.

Oh that's another thing, flying with the stick isn't that good either. AT least when I was using that flying beetle thingie. That's why motion flying felt better today than day one.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Going to grab this, this week. I want physical, so it's going to be after I get off of work. I hope there is a copy left!
It'll be my first playthrough, btw.

Mato

Anybody playing this on Switch Lite? How is it? I haven't played the game since it came out on the Wii. I had a great time back then. I'm kinda on the fence, I'm in the mood for some Zelda.

IKSTUGA

I played SSHD for like 6 hours yesterday. Button controls take some time to get used to, but so far I like it way more than on the Wii. Fucking hated the motion controls and Fi and now they're both gone. Looks surprisingly nice in motion too. Good stuff.

Last edited:

heringer

If you want to play with button controls, that's fine, but personally I think it gimps the game of its identity. Motion controls are an essential part of Skyward Sword's D.N.A.
Playing the game without it is kinda missing the point, which is why I always roll my eyes when I see some of the latest reviews talking about how you can now "finally play it without motion"

Yeah.. no thanks, I'll keep playing the game how it was intended to be played.
I like the motion controls, but this is silly. The point of the game are the dungeons, bosses, the story, the adventure... you know, what Zelda games are all about? Motion controls is a part of it's DNA, sure, but I wouldn't say it's essential, not even close. You are getting virtually the same experience by playing with buttons (well, sticks really). This is from someone who finished and liked on Wii and now plays the remaster 50% of the time with motion and 50% of the time with buttons (when I play handheld).

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I've only tried the button controls but those work better than what I remember of the motion controls in 2011. It took about 10 minutes to get used to and I'm already having a better time with the game.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I like the motion controls, but this is silly. The point of the game are the dungeons, bosses, the story, the adventure... you know, what Zelda games are all about? Motion controls is a part of it's DNA, sure, but I wouldn't say it's essential, not even close. You are getting virtually the same experience by playing with buttons (well, sticks really). This is from someone who finished and liked on Wii and now plays the remaster 50% of the time with motion and 50% of the time with buttons (when I play handheld).
You are getting the same audio visuell experience, yes, but part of what makes Skyward Sword tick are motion controls. It is the indented method of play and frankly it's the one that feels the most natural. Slicing with the sticks doesn't really feel natural at all. You can obviously get used to it and get great results and enjoy the game without motion, but it is a huge loss in both specter and maneuvering to a point you can even see it in gameplay videos of people using sticks. It looks so clunky. It's not exactly essential, at least not essential to enjoy the game, but a significant downgrade compared to playing normally. It's almost like playing VR games without VR, it's just half of the experience.

heringer

You are getting the same audio visuell experience, yes, but part of what makes Skyward Sword tick are motion controls. It is the indented method of play and frankly it's the one that feels the most natural. Slicing with the sticks doesn't really feel natural at all. You can obviously get used to it and get great results and enjoy the game without motion, but it is a huge loss in both specter and maneuvering to a point you can even see it in gameplay videos of people using sticks. It looks so clunky. It's not exactly essential, at least not essential to enjoy the game, but a significant downgrade compared to playing normally. It's almost like playing VR games without VR, it's just half of the experience.
I don't think it's a huge loss. Not even close, to be honest. And again, this is from someone who enjoys both methods.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Its amazing how much better Nintendo games look at 60fps, a big part of that is because they don't use any object motion blur so 30fps looks stuttery as hell. Just panning the camera is a joy in this remaster.

I just beat "G" first time and it felt so much better than when I did it the first time, partly due to knowing what to do I'm sure (although I had to rediscover how to handle some parts of the fight, as usually I was overthinking it back in the day) but also just felt so much more responsive at 60fps.

FStubbs

While it brings new things to the Zelda franchise, it does nothing new that other games haven't done.

My problem with it is that it doesn't even feel like a Zelda game. If you renamed all of the characters, you would easily mistake it for a different franchise.

It's not bad. It's just overrated.
I had the opposite opinion. It felt like Zelda going back to its pre-OoT roots.

Eh I'll always maintain that it's a underappreciated masterpiece, MC scores were always useless and "gamers" are to blame for their relevance in today's market and should only blame themselvs for shit like FONV's MC score being tied to the bonuses Obsidian were promised, and Sony sacking John Garvin cause Days Gone MC was under 80.
Straight from his own mouth that's not why he was fired. You should watch the video with Jaffe and get the facts right.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So much for improving the controls, reminds me how much of a pain this was, with the motion controls, after 10 years im still stuck just before final dungeon collecting those dam purple things underwater fighting motion controls trying to swim lol.
You could turn them off for swimming. With the non motion controls I couldn't get past the 1st Ghirihim encounter so I turned them off, but for most stuff it seemed OK. Of course all the tutorials switch to controller based, so when I got back on the bird I had no clue how to get it to rise. It's just that the game was made for the motion controls and requires a lot of quick repeated actions in the boss encounters that really don't work well with a tiny joystick. If they work it actually feels good, but when it doesn't work you get more and more aggravated. They probably should have added a pause with calibration feature. I never beat the Wii version because it would not reliably register the killing blow. After 10 years I am hoping I can get it to work once. I was hoping they would actually replace the motion stuff with non motion stuff, not trying to map motion to a joystick. I.e. make everything a horizontal slash and make the horizontal slash work on everything.

Of course the best part of the motion controls is being unable to catch a slow moving bug with a net. Link looks like such an incompetent asshole flailing around like a fool when the net moves contrary to how you are telling it to move.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You could turn them off for swimming. With the non motion controls I couldn't get past the 1st Ghirihim encounter so I turned them off, but for most stuff it seemed OK. Of course all the tutorials switch to controller based, so when I got back on the bird I had no clue how to get it to rise. It's just that the game was made for the motion controls and requires a lot of quick repeated actions in the boss encounters that really don't work well with a tiny joystick. If they work it actually feels good, but when it doesn't work you get more and more aggravated. They probably should have added a pause with calibration feature. I never beat the Wii version because it would not reliably register the killing blow. After 10 years I am hoping I can get it to work once. I was hoping they would actually replace the motion stuff with non motion stuff, not trying to map motion to a joystick. I.e. make everything a horizontal slash and make the horizontal slash work on everything.

Of course the best part of the motion controls is being unable to catch a slow moving bug with a net. Link looks like such an incompetent asshole flailing around like a fool when the net moves contrary to how you are telling it to move.
lol, I forgot about the bug net. It's an absolute mess on the Wii.

The way people are describing the HD version, it sounds just like the Wii. Good game but really frustrating at points due to questionable game design. Fi and item prompts were the least aggravating issues in SS. Part of me thinks that the redundant item prompt is only when you turn the game off and turn it back on, it resets/reactivates the notifications. Kind of like the rupees in TP.

The biggest issues are the back tracking at times, a certain boss fight that is repeated, and incredibly janky motion controls for certain things (swimming, beetle, bug net).

Last edited:
Straight from his own mouth that's not why he was fired. You should watch the video with Jaffe and get the facts right.
I already did a day after it was live, he didn't say it WAS the main reason but i don't think it's a stretch given Jim Ryan's recent comments about on wanting to make "critically acclaimed games".

I already did a day after it was live, he didn't say it WAS the main reason but i don't think it's a stretch given Jim Ryan's recent comments about on wanting to make "critically acclaimed games".
It was not a reason since the decision to cut him loose was taken before the game was released...I don't think you paid attention to the video.

Top Bottom