• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Player Uses ChatGPT AI To Generate New Quests

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This AI-generated playthrough was created by YouTuber Joov, who uses ChatGPT to generate prompts for quests that are possible in-game. It takes a lot of refining, but eventually Joov gets prompts interesting enough to use, with the AI initially struggling to generate anything beyond a basic fetch quest. Skyrim's radiant quest system already does the same thing, so Joov had to get creative to receive more complex tasks from the AI. It's great to see new technology continuing to allow for innovation in older games. One Skyrim fan even used AI to create a voiced protagonist, which brings the divisive Fallout 4 feature back to another of Bethesda's titles.

Joov does use a few mods in order to enhance the experience. He uses the "Skyrim World" Randomizer mod to randomly change door destinations, as well as the "Shadow of Skyrim" mod, which adds a Shadow of Mordor-esque Nemesis system to the game to add an extra layer of difficulty to the challenge. Unfortunately the only thing not done that could have taken this challenge even further is the creation of these quests in the Creation Engine. This would have been extremely difficult for someone not well-versed in the engine, so it's understandable that this step wasn't taken.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The following video demonstrates the use of Inworld AI to power NPCs in Skyrim with a custom-built story engine for dialogue interactions.

With Inworld's powerful AI character platform, you can now chat with NPCs in Skyrim on your own terms. Get almost instant responses that stay true to each character's unique personality, and immerse yourself even further in the game's universe. This is the future of roleplaying games.

Watch the video of me wandering around the Whiterun, talking with Lydia about what she does while she is waiting, or asking secret love of Jon Battle-Born, or finding out facts about skooma or learning the actual personality and backstory of our glorious memeguard, "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee"!

Curious about how it works?
Check out the source code! I'm not exactly a seasoned Skyrim modder so, I'm leaving the source code for people who know what they are doing. But in a nutshell, the mod creates a connection between Inworld's system and Skyrim, allowing you to approach NPCs and start typing your message. The NPCs are constructed with their own predefined story engine, so you can rest assured that each character will stay true to their original personality.

Some may worry that this AI conversation system will replace the handcrafted characters and quests that make Skyrim so special. But fear not! The current dialogue options in the game are still there, and the countless hours put in by the Bethesda team to craft these personalities are not ignored. The AI conversation system simply adds an extra layer of immersion to keep you engaged even further. Currently, it allows player (you) to approach NPCs and press Y and start typing the message, instead of using E key to interact. When you get the answer from NPC, you can either hear it's voice or read the text (special subtitle - not game's subtitle)

Notes: Sorry for occasional typos and agonizing DOF :) Voices are created with ElevenLabs' great system and not part of Inworld. Adding ElevenLabs integration to mod could add extra delays, which wouldn't be fair to Inworld. But given that mod is getting text, any Text-to-speech system can be utilized in this mod. Yes, technically you can even use xVASynth.

FAQ:
Can Speech to Text be used instead of typing? Yes, that's possible.
Can we have run-time TTS? Yes, you can. Although, for ElevenLabs, you do need quite a bit work to setup. Also you will need some "credits"
Can this have effect on gameplay directly (like starting quests etc)? Not at the moment.
Can we use Microphone and just talk to them? Yes! Even though in the video I didn't show anything like that, Inworld does come with Speech to Text model. So you don't even need to install anything extra in normal circumstances.
Is this using ChatGPT? In a way, yes. Inworld is working with OpenAI under the hood.

• 🎮 The video is about the use of Inworld AI to power NPCs in Skyrim with a custom-built story engine for dialogue interactions.
  • 🎭 The NPC characters in Skyrim have different personalities and storylines, which can be discovered through dialogue interactions.
  • 💬 Players can interact with NPC characters in Skyrim to get information and complete quests.
  • 🧑‍🤝‍🧑 The NPCs in Skyrim have relationships with each other and their dialogue can reveal information about these relationships.
  • 🛡️ Skyrim has guards that protect the city from danger.
  • 🎼 There are bards in Skyrim who sing and entertain at inns.
  • 🚫 Skooma is an illegal drug in Skyrim but some NPCs still trade it.
  • 💰 Some NPCs trade in a variety of goods and services to make a living.
  • 🗺️ The video mentions several locations in Skyrim, such as Whiterun and the Bannered Mare inn.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Skyrim's modding scene is still as alive as ever, and the new AI stuff is causing problems thanks to differing views on using existing voices to create new lines. Nexus' official stance is the original voice must request removal before a mod is taken down, otherwise it's fair game.

I missed this quest stuff though, thanks Poc

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
yeah-yes.gif

Kamina

Golden Boy
I’ve downloaded the Dragonborn voiceover mod voice package for Dagoth Ur and Ciri.
Nothing more needed for my happiness.

ThisIsMyDog

The potential for the future of gaming in the AI era boggles my mind.

I wonder if when NPCs start simulating humans too well we'll have a moral hangover after killing a prostitute in GTA VIII

Top Bottom