• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim in Unreal Engine 5: Riverwood

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
H2x1_NSwitch_TheElderScrollsVSkyrim.jpg

Christian Gomm, Environment Artist at Myrkur Games, has recreated Riverwood from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim in Unreal Engine 5.
As such, the following video and screenshots will give you an idea of what a proper modern-day remaster of Skyrim could look like.

As Gomm noted, the polygon count of its assets ranges from 100,000 to 15 million triangles.
Moreover, Gomm used Photogrammetry and Nanite in order to provide a better image quality.

Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-1.jpg
Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-3.jpg

As Gomm said:
"This is an environment I’ve been using to work on my photogrammetry workflow. It contains a mixture of my own photoscanned assets and materials, megascans and my own substance materials.
The pine trees were made by me using Speed Tree, and the Spruce trees were from an unreal market asset pack.
It took me a few days to create the majority of the environment. But, I’ve been slowly adding to it as I create new photoscans, including many of the stumps and logs, all but one of the stone surfaces, some bark materials and foliage pieces.
Almost all of the assets in the scene have nanite enabled and range in polycount from 100,000 to 15 million triangles"

Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-4.jpg
Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-5.jpg

Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-6.jpg
Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-7.jpg

Stuart360

Looks great, and really impressive that he said it only took him a few days to make the environment.

It would be cool if Bethesda see this and decide to move to UE5 with Elder Scrolls 6.

Matt_Fox

Looks great! Unreal Engine 5 really is providing that generational jump in visuals we've all been waiting for... now we just need to see it applied in a proper released game.

Yoboman

Ill never understand why somebody would put the time and effort in recreating stuff that'll never be playable.
Creatives generally need to showcase their skills when going for jobs. It can also allow them to develop skills that their current jobs don't allow them to work on

mortal

Gold Member
I was messing around about how these things can sometimes be unstable and unoptimised. Or need strong hardware to maintain constant high visual fidelity.
Ah okay then.

So far it seems like UE5 is a pretty solid engine, at least from what I've seen of the artists and game designers sharing their work online.
In this particular case, there really isn't much animation or collision featured to match the visual fidelity and dense detail.
So it comes off rather static and lifeless despite all of the nature ironically enough.
It looks really great in the screen shots, but once I saw the video I was less impressed, the illusion was broken so to speak.

Ill never understand why somebody would put the time and effort in recreating stuff that'll never be playable.
lol well what do you think 3D artists do when they're not working on games?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
First thing that ever happened to me in Riverwood was I bumped into a cart which then somehow squished a chicken to death. Then everyone in the town tried to kill me.

Witchilich

I would be curious to compare this to Skyrim with crazy visual mods. I have a feeling mods would win.
I did this on a 4GB GTX 1050 Ti.
1.png

4.png

5.png

Raining Riverwood
6.png

8.png

9.png

2.png

7.png

10.png

13.png

See that mountain over there, you can climb it and its gorgeous!
33.png

11.png

12.png

14.png

15.png

34.png

16.png

17.png

18.png

19.png

20.png

21.png

23.png

24.png

25.png

26.png

35.png

36.png

3.png

22.png
27.png

28.png

29.png

30.png

31.png

32.png

37.png

38.png

39.png

40.png

Last edited:

Barakov

H2x1_NSwitch_TheElderScrollsVSkyrim.jpg

Christian Gomm, Environment Artist at Myrkur Games, has recreated Riverwood from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim in Unreal Engine 5.
As such, the following video and screenshots will give you an idea of what a proper modern-day remaster of Skyrim could look like.

As Gomm noted, the polygon count of its assets ranges from 100,000 to 15 million triangles.
Moreover, Gomm used Photogrammetry and Nanite in order to provide a better image quality.

Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-1.jpg
Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-3.jpg

As Gomm said:
"This is an environment I’ve been using to work on my photogrammetry workflow. It contains a mixture of my own photoscanned assets and materials, megascans and my own substance materials.
The pine trees were made by me using Speed Tree, and the Spruce trees were from an unreal market asset pack.
It took me a few days to create the majority of the environment. But, I’ve been slowly adding to it as I create new photoscans, including many of the stumps and logs, all but one of the stone surfaces, some bark materials and foliage pieces.
Almost all of the assets in the scene have nanite enabled and range in polycount from 100,000 to 15 million triangles"

Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-4.jpg
Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-5.jpg

Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-6.jpg
Skyrim-in-Unreal-Engine-5-Christian-Gomm-7.jpg

Looks nice.

Inviusx

Waiting for the announcement of the "Skyreal" project where a group of enthusiastic modders begin porting Skyrim to UE5 for the next 15 years and never finishing it.

Top Bottom